Alpha Dog Imperial IPA | Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing
Idaho, United States
laughingdogbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

Added by bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Good hop forward flavor. Very light malt. Odd mineral/metallic linger.

2.87/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was a drain pour for me unfortunately. The only thing i didn't mind was cleansing my palate. This beer i believe is new to CT and is 7-17-14 hard to read dating. Why we would be recently receiving 10+ month old iipa's is beyond me. Thanks for putting too old ipa's on the shelf.

2.89/5  rDev -23.7%

Like just about everyone else, this was probably my first Vandal beer. I was given a 22 ounce bomber as a gift which was poured into an over-sized snifter.

A: Encouraging medium amber that grew a little more opaque as it it warmed. A solid fingers worth of head quickly retreated but retained some solid lacing until the final moments.

S: After reading a handful of reviews pre-pour, I was surprised not to pick up the pine aroma that most reviewers found. I thought it was straight, almost overpowering, grapefruit pith. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in this not only because of how overwhelming the citrus was, but I was also looking forward to something a bit different (i.e., the piney notes). I honestly couldn't pick out the malt sweetness until this DIPA was much warmer.

T: Tasted just like it smelled. It was if i was eating the pith of a freshly peeled grapefruit, except maybe with just a hint of the juniper side of "pine". The intense bitter completely hid the alcohol and by the time I finished my glass I fealt the 8.65% abv far more than I had tasted it.

M: The medium body was a tad oily though an overall smooth drink.

D. Decent enough, but I really didn't care for it as much as a few of my other hophead friends. I think it encompassed all the wrong parts of a grapefruit- too much pith. I also think it could have used just a tad bit more biscuit in their somewhere. I wouldn't seek this one out, but I wouldn't refuse a free one either.

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

On tap at The POPE on 3/6/09 during Philly Beer Week.

A - Slightly hazy golden body with a wispy film for a head that gave way to a thin ring of retention that left virtually no lacing.

S - Fruity nose with lots of fleshy and citrusy fruits with sweet caramel malt. However, there is a pungent cat box character amidst all the sweetness and hop bitterness.

T - Flavor is very sweet initially with a fruit character and sweet malt base featuring caramel notes. Unfortunately, an unpleasant cat box aspect rears its ugly head and dominates the flavor in the middle, and then segues into an aggressive hop bitterness suggesting pine and resin.

M - Medium bodied with a syrupy texture and subtle carbonation resulting in a sticky mouthfeel overall. Finishes with an assertive hop bitterness on the palate.

D - I would have enjoyed this much more if not for the cat urine aspect. Not sure if it was the tap line or just the beer. Remove the feline influence from this brew and you would have a pretty solid DIPA. While some might enjoy this very pungent hop profile, it definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Alpha Dog Imperial IPA from Laughing Dog Brewing