Mojo IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-27-2003

Ratings: 1,940 |  Reviews: 789
2.36/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle inot a Nonic Pint.

I would like to first say that I purchased this beer in a Boulder Beer Variety Case and I really enjoyed every other beer. This is also the third Mojo I have had from the case and my hope was the first two were just bad bottles...

Look: The pour was beautiful. It is a light amber and the clarity is amazing. The head rises up well over three fingers and creates a beautiful lacing throughout the pint.

Smell: The hops really aren't as prominent as I wold have liked. There is a certain level of sweetness to the aroma that does work well with the minimal hop presence.

Taste: I am bombarded with a metallic like sweetness that causes me to immediately pucker my lips. I don't really detect any hops up front but the bitter bite on my tongue lets me know they are there. There is also a toasted malt presence which does not agree with the overly bitter hops at all.

Mouthfeel: It leaves the mouth really dry and unsatisfied. The bitterness and sweetness semm to attack the tongue as opposed to gliding over it.

Drinkability: Of the three Mojo's I've tried this was the only one I was able to finish (only for the sake of the review) so I certainly would not want another one from this case.

As I previously said, I am very fond of both Boulder Beer and IPA's so I think this might be an old bottle due to the muted hop presence. I certainly will give this a second try if I ever see it on tap or find a fresh bottle.

2.47/5  rDev -35.8%

This is the fourth beer in a grab bag of old beers our neighborhood package store passed off on us for bargain prices. Hey, we're poor! At any rate, I felt that reviewing them might serve the BA community, especially those that tend to hold onto beers perhaps longer than they should. What can you expect from your dusty Mojo? Here's what I found.

A: Pours a clear golden with a slightly off-white head of about 1/2 a finger that sticks around for just a little.

S: Some pine but mostly malt.

T: A caramelly, malty presence dominates with a touch of alcohol at the start of the leave. Hop bitterness persists throughout the taste but crescendos at the start of the leave trailing off to a bittersweet afterthought that lasts throughout the typing of this sentence.

M: A medium bodied beer with a creamy but mild carbonation.

Overall: I like this better than the Mojo Risin but feel it hasn't aged as well. Other reviewers are really impressed with the hops in the Mojo but after +/- 6 months improperly stored at the liquor store the hops are basically gone. Rather than citrusy and bright as the brewers probably intended the flavor and aromatic remains are piney tending toward an earthy quietude that doesn't really play well with the left over maltiness. The beer is still an enjoyable beer but you can tell it's more of a ghost of itself. To wax poetic, this beer is like having a short conversation with a guy who almost won the championship 15 years ago. He has great stories, sure, but, kind of sad, isn't it? The Boulder Beer double settles better into old age, where the alcohol burn plays well against the otherwise cloying sweetness. Here, without the ABV or the hops, the beer seems just too off-kilter.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

Sorry - maybe I got a bad batch, but this was not that good to my taste buds. I am getting formaldehyde notes that are too much of a turnoff. Maybe because I worked in medical labs when I was younger and encountered formaldehyde too often, but this beer turned me off completely with its bitterness and astringent taste. This beer would be better with more floral notes and sweet malt. But as it stands, it just didn't pass the muster this round. Seems off-balanced. There are better picks amongst the many taps handles at my favorite beer bar in NYC.

2.52/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer pours a slightly hazy, gold with no head. The aroma consists of vanilla, citrus, and grass. It's flavor has grapefruit and biscuit notes with a mild hoppy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average and Boulder Mojo IPA is a good, well balanced beer. Recommended.

2.58/5  rDev -33%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Brief impressions from a bottle. I know I've reviewed this before; I just haven't gotten around to typing up my original notes yet.

Pours a clean bright copper body with a fluffy soft off-white cap.

Aroma is creamy and floral, with some pale malt and caramalt keeping the mild hop bitterness in line. A muted shallow aroma suggesting a reticent simplistic beer.

Taste is reticent and simple as can be, hitting a note of pale malt, a note of floral hops, and...well, that's pretty much it, save for a blip of a grapefruit flavour that emerges late in the game. No depth or intricacy of flavour whatsoever. Somewhat insipid, with no real hop pungency.

Overcarbonated and unbecomingly dry. Not the juicy refreshing light-bodied mouthfeel one would hope for.

Overall, it's more mediocre fare from Boulder Beer Co. Very forgettable, but not undrinkable. I continue to be underwhelmed by Boulder Beer's efforts.

C- (2.58) / BELOW AVERAGE

2.66/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Pale gold win no head. Smells of tons of citrus and pine, with a hint of kitchen cleaner and hardwood resin. Very resinous taste win a lingering bitterness and faint light caramel. Nice grainy malt flavor, which is obliterated by resin flavor. Amarillo comes close to saving this beer, and there are beautiful cedar, tangerine, and cinnamon flavors. Unfortunately, this beer was brewed without any concept of balance, and it is a resinous disaster. Body is light, carbonation is light. Tastes like a blonde ale with evergreen sap. I'm sure the hopheads will get their chemical fix here.

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

Can hardly believe this is the same beer as these ratings indicate...
Pours a pale light orange, mostly clear. Smell is of some honey sweetness, mild strength hops. Somewhat astringent. Taste is the same. Mild hops, low sweetness, and overall pretty bland and weak for an IPA. Like weak hop tea more than a true IPA. Slightly soapy, and not very citrusy or fruity. Below average IPA for sure.

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

01/16/13
look: Yellow, decent head
aroma: Fruity. Strong.
taste: Disappoints. Apples, Pears. High Alcohol is unmasked.
FEEL: Quite a bite.Fizzy. Alive.
Not bad, but a little harsh, even for a new age IPA.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%