Mojo IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-27-2003

Reviews: 787 | Ratings: 1,920
4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Light golden orange color with a one finger white head with nice lacing.

Smell: Definitely citrusy, bready with caramel sweetness. A little pine, orange, pineapple, apple and pear. Its making me hungry actually.

Taste: At first bitter followed by orange, pear, pineapple combo with a caramel resin yet bright and semi-sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Round well-bodied with balanced carbonation. has a pale ale feel with a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability: The changing of the flavors leave me wanting to continually drink this beer. It bitter enough to keep you from pounding, yet smooth enough to have multiple.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Nice orangish yellow beer. Just screams "citrus" in a glass. Head was very soft, about two fingernails deep, and stuck around unbelievably till I was finished. Lacing, on the other hand, was so-so.

S - Like the appearance, there was a strong citrus aroma that could be smelt from a couple feet away as I poured it. I want to say a smell in between an orange and a lemon but with a sort of pine like smell somewhere in it.

T - The first taste I got out of it was the citrus taste. First couple of sips were incredibly sweet and citrusy. Afterwards, the hoppy bitterness kicked in like no other. Very strong but not an overpowering bitterness.

M - For an IPA, it did a very great job of coating the mouth. The taste held it's own little battle in my mouth.

D - Even though the hops snuck up in an aggressive manner, it still proves to be a drinkable beer. I know I enjoyed it, sitting outside on a humid 80 degree night.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

This Ipa quenched my thirst quite nicely after a long afternoon of hitting the books. Very crisp with a citrus twist and medium bitter aftertaste. I noticed it left a nice Lacing to it as I drank it and formed a nice initial head that stayed drink after drink. Finely balanced and had a great smooth finish with just the right amount of weight to it. I'm sure I'll keep it in mind for my next sixer for sure. Very easy to drink and a nice beer after a long day.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a snifter. Big yeasty head. Hazy amber color. Loads of lacing sticks to the glass like white on rice.

Has a very perfumey smell. Floral accents, citrus, piney hops, grapefruit, pineapple. Really one of the most wonderful smelling beers I've come across.

The citrus and pine hops thrive in the mouth, with a layer of caramel just in front. Pineapple, grapefruit. The taste is more subtle than the nose, but this is still one hell of an IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium body, bitter but balanced. Just a light bubble on the tongue.

This is a stellar, humble beer that I think deserves much respect.

The Rockies line are a drinkable series of beers. I have a problem in that I drink the Rogue IPA's and other left coast brews. This one starts at a hop disadvantage.

It pours with a nice frothy white head that dimishes to nothing. It's a clear yellow-amber.

The nose says hops. But the taste is more alcohol, then a moderate to heavy bitterness, when I expect pucker. It has a nice medium body, a good lively fizz, and a lasting bitterness.

It would be a good summers day beer that you could pace yourself on and would not find yourself not able to taste anything by dinner time.

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Paid ~$10 for a six pack. Poured into a tulip glass, half an inch of pretty loose head with a moderately aggressive pour.

Quite a nice beer. The malt/hop balance is much to my preference, with a solid bready base and thick body to hold all that dank, resinous hop. The hop profile is a nice grapefruit-like bitterness balanced by a tangerine-like sweetness. Not super effervescent, and has quite a sticky finish and mouth feel. That bitterness really sticks around for awhile.

Would buy again.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bomber to mug

A - Beautiful, rich, golden color that is somewhat cloudy. Nice, rich white head, three fingers deep, with spiderweb lacing as it was sipped. Overall, a very inviting appearance.

S - Malts are sweet and caramelly on this one with a rich citrusy hop profile that smells like a ripe orange.

T - Big, citrusy, orange flavors grab your tongue with a nice dry, hop finish. This one is sweet but was well balanced in my opinion. The hops are there but they are not bitter. Definitely something to session on.

M - Medium body and smooth, smooth, smooth! This brew was nicely carbonated for the style.

D - A very nice brew, very drinkable, and would be great in the summer after a long, hot day. Very enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Blonde creamy white head - will layer the outside of the glass all the way through the drink.
S- grapefruit, clementine, orange, little banana
T-citrus and subtle banana, very hoppy on the back, but nice malts for balance except for an expected hoppy lingering bitterness
Mf - nitro. Always creamy and delicious. Nice blend with this bitterness. really love nitro taps
overall - big fan. Really nice for. 7.2. Have to embrace the late bitterness to like it. Nitro likely biased me higher than I would have been otherwise.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

Sorry - maybe I got a bad batch, but this was not that good to my taste buds. I am getting formaldehyde notes that are too much of a turnoff. Maybe because I worked in medical labs when I was younger and encountered formaldehyde too often, but this beer turned me off completely with its bitterness and astringent taste. This beer would be better with more floral notes and sweet malt. But as it stands, it just didn't pass the muster this round. Seems off-balanced. There are better picks amongst the many taps handles at my favorite beer bar in NYC.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle. (Best by May...shame on your Total Wine and shame on me for not realizing)

(L) The color was relatively clear copper with slightly less than one-finger off-white head.
(A) Smell was pine, grapefruit, orange peal, and malty caramel.
(T) Taste was malty, citrusy. More bitter than I was expecting based off of aroma.
(F) Medium bodied.

Decent, but too bitter. Definitely not enough to balance it out.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

This Mojo IPA pours a nice pale copper and the small head sticks around and wow the aroma of hops is amazing. The taste is a nice big kick in the mouth with a nice citrusy bitterness with a nice full malt backbone. What a treat, I really love amarillo hops. The mouthfeel of this beer is what really makes this beer enjoyable. Nice thick and it leaves a nice coating of hops flavor in your mouth. What a truly exceptional beer. Thank you FeloniousMonk for the opportunity to try this bottle of joy.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours deep solid gold with a formidable white head. I had mine in pint glass from a 12oz bottle. Powerful citrus, hoppy and alcohol aroma. The taste was everything you'd want from an IPA, but also a little something else. The kick is definitely there, with healthy dose of hop bitterness.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - One finger of head, nice lacing down the glass, dark orange, hazy

Smell - Nice mix of citrus and pine, detect some malt in the background, nice balance

Taste - A nice mix between malt and hops. Obviously hop's in the forefront. Doesn't make you pucker, nice, easy drinking. Nice balance

Mouthfeel - Not too thin, good body, not overly carbonated

Overall - Nice IPA, had one in my fridge thanks to a friend, but wouldn't necessarily seek out again.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

This was the last bottle of a 6 pack I've had in my fridge for well over 6 months. One day at the beer store I finally decided to succumb to the curiosity of what laid behind the groovy labels on the Boulder Beers Mojo and Hazed and Infused. It turned out to be a disappointing weekend.

I remembered Mojo as being by far the superior of the two beers, but not being all that impressed by it either. So it was a very pleasant surprise when I cracked this final bottle open this evening, to discover that it was actually a lot better than I remembered it.

Drinking it now, I would definitely buy it again. It is highly refreshing and has a beautiful hoppy aspect. I sit here and smile wryly as I type this and ponder that for the last 6 months at least, I have been wandering around with a completely inaccurate view of this beer.

I wish I had a few more to drink after this one. Still, I did just buy a shit load of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, so life's not all that bad.

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%

Wow I was not expecting this power from such a weak looking beer.

The color was too light to be this tasty, but somehow it pulls through and creates just the perfect bitterness/crispness mingle in the mouth. That is awesome.

And then the surprising 7+ abv takes this to a higher level of IPA awesomeness. One IPA I wish I had tried a lot earlier to ease myself into the hops - this one does a great job!

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light orange/yellow. Clear with lots of bubbles. Thin fizzy head that goes away to nothing. Watery looking.

S: Grapefruit and lemon zest. caramel. Touch of pine. A Pleasant smelling IPA.

T: Light grapefruit, citrus. But well balanced with malt. On the sweeter side for an ipa. orange blossom. Again, pleasant.

M: Thin but not completely watery. Appropriate body. Plenty of carbonation. Crisp. Short bitter aftertaste

O: Avery sessionable IPA. Nothing offensive but not complex. The word pleasant just keeps coming to mind.

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

I love the label, and would consider buying a cycle jersey with this logo, but the beer itself... Kind of "meh"... There is not a lot of hops aroma or flavor. It's IPA Lite IMHO... very refreshing, but it lacks the hop dominance that I personally look forward to in an IPA.

I'm tasting it head-to-head with three other IPA's: Pyramid Outburst, Anderson Valley Heelch O'Hops and Oskar Blues Deviant Dales. Of the four, this is the weakest...

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Deep golden color but perfectly see-through when held to a light. Head was suprisingly pretty dense for an IPA, which was retained for a fairly long time, leaving behind nice lace rings after each sip.

S - Smelled like your run-of-the-mill IPA. Definite grapefruit smell (cascade?) followed by the usual foresty pine smell. Definetely hoppy with lots of apparent floral smells.

T - Decent taste, kind of reminded me of the Stone IPA minus some IBU's. Little bit sugary citrus flavor which reminded me somewhat of Troegs NN.

M - Thought this beer was very smooth and carbonated to perfection, definetely got the mouthfeel down pat.

D - More drinkable than any other IPA's I have tried, but I think this is due to it being somewhat less bitter and "intense" towards my taste buds. I consider it an "entry level" IPA. Certainly tasty but lacking some of the robust flavors of other leading IPA's.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a nice thick head with a crystal clear orange hue. Looks great. Smells good, too. I immediately smell some bready biscuit malt sweetness right up front and then it fades really fast to some strong lemon/orange/piny aromas.

Taste: Wow, for an IPA this doesn't have much bitterness to it. It may be pumped with IBUs but the bitterness is super smooth . . . almost more like a pale ale. Yup, that's it. Some malt forwardness that mellows out and then the hops gently slam into your tongue with all that hop flavor. Finishes a touch dry, but that could be some of the bitterness finally coming through. Also, cannot detect that this is 6.8%. It's a sneaky beer!

Overall, I think it certainly tastes more like a pale ale than an IPA. If you did a blind taste test with this and Dale's Pale ale, I'm sure you'd think they were both the same style. On that note, it's a bit disappointing. It's not a bad tasting beer, but not to style in my opinion.

2.32/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Serving Type: $1.65 12oz bottle at Total Wine. Poured from the bottle into a Rock Bottom pilsner glass, with a decent aroma collecting top.

Appearance: Amber/orange in color. Not entirely dissimilar from Nugget Nectar, though a high level of clarity. I'd have to guess filtered.

Smell: This is where things fall apart. Just sort of a big mess of Del Monte fruit cocktail, honey, and cheap [herbal glaucoma remedy]. The fruit cocktail became more pronounced as it warmed.

Taste: Oh yeah... big honey and assorted canned fruits. Some tangerine creeping out from under the weighty mess, but not enough to scream "I'M AN IPA!".

Mouthfeel: Actually not bad. Had a decent mouthfeel for an IPA. Neither too thin nor too thick.

Overall: The bottle said: "ENJOY BY MARCH 19", so I'm 13 days away from the end of code, but still... This couldn't be any less of an IPA. I've had worse beers, but I just don't see the point in buying this one again.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

A bit hazy for a non-bottle conditioned beer, but the flavor and hop make up for the look. This tastes more like a double-ipa than its American IPA BA style designation, although this distinction seems to be blurring. Nice grapefruity nose and taste, good hop mouthfeel. It is an easy beer to find and drink around Boston, so I frequently have it in my fridge as a standard.

I have also had in on tap over at Bukowski in Boston. I think I prefer the bottle, seems to have a bit more hop acidity, which i enjoy in some beers. The hop overwhelms the ABV, so if you are a hophead, be careful you will all of a sudden realize you are a bit tipsy after a few.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Had on tap from Cambridge Common, served in a chilled pint glass.The beer is a dark orange, with a bubbly white head. Beer drinks with a creamy upfront and citrus aftertaste, good fresh hop taste with a solid malt body to carry the flavor. This beers drinkability is scary for 7% ABV, allowing 3 pints to go down quickly! A tasty choice if not looking for a hop bomb but something a little more then a Harpoon or SNPA

GC

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

A = Nice golden appearance little lighter than a normal IPA, head was a bit lite too. Not very thick

S = Smelled amazing, sweetness with a light malt to it

T = Not the best, I would call it average. Citrus and a bit too bitter than normal IPA. Almost a hint of metallic to it too.

M = Lot of linger on the palatte and bit of dryness late.

O = Good not great beer, would have again though. B range is about right.

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%

bought a case of this to take with me on vacation with the family. poured from bottle into a pint glass. very pale amber color. has a nice hoppy nose to it. very crisp, light, yet a hoppy enough ipa for a hop head. a well crefted very enjoyable beer.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pours a beautiful medium gold with a generous white head

S - Piney and citrus hop smells dominate, smells quite delicious. A bit of grapefruit and tart tangerine as well

T - More of the nose, but a little more balanced that expected. The tangerine comes out much more, but not so much that it overpowers or unbalances. Quite a delight.

M - Relatively low carbonation, with a decent coating on the mouth.

O - Very surprised by this beer, it is better to me than the rating shows! Definitely one to go back to, as it is a delicious IPA.

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub