Mojo IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-27-2003

Ratings: 1,948 |  Reviews: 789
4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

Just absolutely wonderful, aroma was perfect, 12oz glass if I'm not mistaken, but just from start to finish - was

A: A tad cloudy, still appropriate and just downright simple for this IPA, all should take note who fall by the wayside to this brew

S: WOW WEE - tap better than glass, no doubt!

T: Are you kidding me? citrus was running all over the place!

M: I mean c'mon, if you haven't had this, you are missing the boat. scratch and sniff and find out. Tangy, just enough and just very even from beginning to end. I enjoyed it so.

D: As one of the previous responders noted - "I could drink many more", but I only had 2

Served on tap at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth, MA, off ot Rt.3!

This one pours a light amber with a big, relatively lingering, off white head. The nose is strong and pleasant with floral hints, a bit of alcohol, and a citrus presence. The mouthfeel is a neither thick nor thin. At first I taste a medium-bitter bite with, perhaps, caramel hints. I also sense something that resembles orange peels in the end. The finish is a strong, lingering bitter with light sweetness. The alcohol was never present, which is a good thing. The problem is that this beer is too easy to categorize as just another hoppy IPA.

Aggressively poured into pint glass...

A: Poured a golden yellow with hints of orange and huge four finger fluffy white head that retained itself well and left pretty good lacing behind as it fell.

S: That beautiful grapefruit/tangerine citrus aroma right off the get go along with some nice light caramel malt and just a hint of pine and floral grass.

T: Follows the nose with the grapefruit citrus leading out and more sweetness from the malt than the nose leads on, but pretty well balanced. Not overly complex, pretty straightforward, but nice.

M: Medium body with fairly active carbonation that isn't overpowering, could probably be a little finer in carbonation but all in all its pretty smooth.

D: Balanced, medium body, solid flavor profile and smooth, this is a nice beer all around.

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%

This brew poured to a cloudy golden color with some deep orange highlights. Fair sized slightly off-white head that had very good retention and left lacing through out. The aroma was a nice mix of malt and hops. Malt gave a slight toasty scent that seemed to meld together with the hops nicely. The hop scent was a nice grapefruit aroma; it seemed to me that this might have been the clearest that a hop scent reminded me of grapefruit. The flavor of this one was good, while the hops where the predominant characteristic you picked up they where not overboard. The grapefruit noted in the nose seemed to be enhanced when hitting the taste buds. The malts seemed to give it a nice sweet flavor that again melded well with this hop character. Very nice flavor while being refreshing at the same time. This one is an easy drink even with it at 7+ ABV, which does not seem noticeable - though one at a sitting is enough for me. Overall, another nice brew from this brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Rockies Brewing Company--Boulder Beer Company--mojo india pale ale--Looking Glass Series 2009-B--12 oz. Bottle--7.20% ABV-- 70 IBU's. (4.05 / 5.0) Lacy light white head. Pretty bright clear gold color. Delicate flowery hop mild herbal front. Thin mild sweet crisp light caramel pale fruit hop resin body. Clean balanced easy mild citrus hop spice end. Tasty mellow sweet IPA. Sampled 2/5/2010. 6-Pack--$9.00.

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

This brew pours a lighter orange ride orange with a voluminous head of about three fingers that fades slowly. The carbonation looks good, lots of little bubbles ambling to the top. The smell is hoppy without being overwhelming and smells of both fruity and floral hops. The malt base on this one seems fine tuned, showing up in the nose but just so.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is that of a standard American IPA and I don't mean that in a bad way. The hop flavor is bold without being special or big and the whole brew is very well balanced. Pine and fruitiness make its presence known and then slide away leaving an aftertaste that's a little malty for my taste, but that's also pleasant. The mouth feel is better than some beers I've had, ifs pretty smooth and creamy. Overall I might come back, or I might just find a favorite of the style and ultimately get a more likeable and personable IPA.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

The Mojo India Pale Ale brought by the Boulder Beer Company was pretty good. I am a large fan of IPA's myself and after buying a six pack, 12 FL. Oz. bottles, of these puppies, I decided to give them a try. I have had Boulder Beer Company's infamous Hazed & Infused before and thought it, too, was pretty decent, so I decided to try the Mojo. Mojo bared a initial sweet taste on my palate and finished with a mildly bitter taste; I could taste notes of citrus as well as potentially notes of a piney hint, a decent beer. Mojo also had a great lacing. Overall, I would say this is a good IPA, but if not for the price. If you wish to get a good IPA in the state of Illinois, ridiculously high alcohol sales tax- $8-10, I suggest getting Flying Dog Ale's Snake Dog IPA, it registers in at a 7.1% ABV, 1% lower than the Mojo and has, overall, a better appearance and taste.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz bottle pours a mildly hazy, medium gold color with a large frothy beige head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

Nose is juicy, grapefruit amarillo hops with a biscuity and pretty firm malt balance. Some honey-esque sweetness is in there as well as a hint of wheat.

Pretty balanced IPA with hops contributing both plenty of flavor and bitterness. Malts are caramely and sweet. Fairly high ABV is noticeable...not quite a hindrance but along with the big malts make the beer feel pretty big. For me the hops could use a lighter backdrop for them to really shine. All in all though, a pretty good IPA that would probably be even better on tap at the tap room.

2.36/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle inot a Nonic Pint.

I would like to first say that I purchased this beer in a Boulder Beer Variety Case and I really enjoyed every other beer. This is also the third Mojo I have had from the case and my hope was the first two were just bad bottles...

Look: The pour was beautiful. It is a light amber and the clarity is amazing. The head rises up well over three fingers and creates a beautiful lacing throughout the pint.

Smell: The hops really aren't as prominent as I wold have liked. There is a certain level of sweetness to the aroma that does work well with the minimal hop presence.

Taste: I am bombarded with a metallic like sweetness that causes me to immediately pucker my lips. I don't really detect any hops up front but the bitter bite on my tongue lets me know they are there. There is also a toasted malt presence which does not agree with the overly bitter hops at all.

Mouthfeel: It leaves the mouth really dry and unsatisfied. The bitterness and sweetness semm to attack the tongue as opposed to gliding over it.

Drinkability: Of the three Mojo's I've tried this was the only one I was able to finish (only for the sake of the review) so I certainly would not want another one from this case.

As I previously said, I am very fond of both Boulder Beer and IPA's so I think this might be an old bottle due to the muted hop presence. I certainly will give this a second try if I ever see it on tap or find a fresh bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured into a snifter. Big yeasty head. Hazy amber color. Loads of lacing sticks to the glass like white on rice.

Has a very perfumey smell. Floral accents, citrus, piney hops, grapefruit, pineapple. Really one of the most wonderful smelling beers I've come across.

The citrus and pine hops thrive in the mouth, with a layer of caramel just in front. Pineapple, grapefruit. The taste is more subtle than the nose, but this is still one hell of an IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium body, bitter but balanced. Just a light bubble on the tongue.

This is a stellar, humble beer that I think deserves much respect.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Presentation - Poured into Flying Fish Pint Glass

Appearance - Golden body, white finger head,

Smell - Piney and hoppy, like the Colorado forests

Taste - Burnt sugar, malty and biscuity, with a piney aftertaste

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Medium carbonation, full bodied, surprisingly drinkable

Overall - A good example of an IPA that isn't overhopped

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

12-oz bottle. Clear light golden pour. Three finger white head. Orange peel with hints of something like vanilla in the aroma. Maybe caramel. Creamy texture.Caramel malts clearly apparent up front. The sweetness lingers a little too long on the palate making the finish a little muddled. Grassy bitter finish. Not my favorite IPA, but definitely not bad. A little too sweet overall.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A - One finger of pure, white head on top of a clear, deep golden body. The foam settles slowly and leaves nice lace.

S - A nice, pungent aroma of citrus and pine hops with an emphasis on grapefruit. A good dose of bready malt in the background with some toast and caramel.

T - Biscuit and toasted bread malt up front, followed closely by pine hop flavors. Light caramel and some slight alcohol come out in the middle, then fade as resinous hop flavors dominate the finish. Notes of pine, grapefruit, and orange hops with moderate bitterness and light, clean malt.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a moderately dry finish.

D - This is a nice, drinkable IPA and I definitely won't have much trouble finishing off the six pack. The hop aroma is excellent and even has some moderate malt notes. The flavor is pleasant, but doesn't live up the the aroma; it has weaker hop character and the malt is just a bit thin in the finish. Nevertheless, this is a great IPA and I will certainly drink it again.

4.57/5  rDev +21.5%

Don't have much time to report on this beer but I wanted to say at least something real quick. I had it for the first time tonight and the first thing I can say about it was what a wonderful aroma this beer had. I couldn't stop smelling it! Maybe it was this one single beer but I'm not gonna doubt anything and just that it smelled awesome. Great taste, great appearance. I could drink these all night! Really enjoyed this beer. Good job Boulder Brewing.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

this beer pours out a nice cloudy yellowish color with a nitro like head from the cask

the smell is right with hops but more subdude than the regular bottle by the cask, you also get faint notes of oak.

the taste this beer gives is wonderful and it lets the hops roam around the profile. there are degrees of hop flavor all across the drink and the bitterness is played down so they can come out more.

this beer finishes wonderfuly and has an excellent mouthfeel coming off the cask, it is so full bodied and silky yet leaves enough bitterness to bite through and grab the tongue as well. what a great way to present such a great IPA to start with!

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz bottel poured into a sniffer. Small fluffy head with some small lace around the glass. Almost golden in color.

Smells of a citrus hops not much else.

Good hop flavor very citrusy. Some malty tones but very sudel. Nice and crisp hop flavor.

Easy to drink medium bodied ipa. Some nice lingering bitterness. Could see this being a good session beer.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a light amber with some haze and a good foamy head, good lacing.

Hop dominant aromas, with floral notes and some grapefruit. Tough to find much else in here.

One trick pony. Big (but not giant) hop flavor, with good citric rind notes, but not enough to get in the way of thee rest of the flavor of the beer. There is the problem -- not much else offered in malt or complexity. Some light toasted malt, a little watery caramel, and little else. Eh.

Medium bodied with some stickiness in the finish. I dig this part.

Overall, an ok beer, but not worth pursuing again. Easy to drink, but not enough to make you want another right away. By no means bad in any way, but a bit average.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured froam a bottle into a perfect.

Pours a medium gold straw wirth decent clarity and a thin head that recedes to a ring.

Aroma is of weak hop and not mch else.

Flavor is sweet malt, slightly corny and possible funky, The middle breaks to a slightly bitter hop with dry quality. Finishes dry but a little weak on the flavor, some warming alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, crisp and not objectionable. Very bubbly and crisp.

A little sub par, but not horrible.

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours a hazy gold color with only a finger of head which sticks to the glass all the way down.

S - Strong but not overpowering citrusy hops, with some earthy notes.

T - Mostly hops, but a bit of malt balances it out in the middle. A fresh and well hopped IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is exactly what I want from an ipa, a simple easy drinker with a subdued enough hop taste that I enjoy it but am not blown away by it.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear god with a small white head that smells of Werther's caramels and other sweet malts and citrusy hops, not as bright and vibrant and other IPAs but not bad. Tastes like it smells; again, not as flavorful or as hoppy as one would expect from an IPA, but its taste is well balanced. Overall okay.

4.92/5  rDev +30.9%

Someone told me that if I Like big hop beers I need to try Hazed and infused by boulder beer. When I went to buy it the Mojo IPA was next to it so I bought a 6 pack of each. I have sampled 100's of different IPA and for me this one always stands out. Great full body hops yet very drinkable. After First having it by the bottle I now keep it on tap at home in my kegerator.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured a hazy, translucent light amber, with a two finger head which dissipated rather quickly.
Picked up a little lemon biscuity smell
Taste first hit me as sweet and with a nice grapefruit bitterness.
Had a good amount of carbonation.
Overall a very nice IPA, quick drinkable.
I think I'd like to try this one on tap.

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%

I've had this at home in a 12oz bottle and out on draft 2009-09-19. A nice hoppy surprise!

Appearance was a dark wheat with off white head that did die quickly after the beer arrived. I remember that the bottle version had more. Some nice lacing as I drank.

Smell had a light citrus hoppy aroma.

Taste of pine hop starts out strong and the slight bitterness is very welcome. Ends crisp and light with a hop sting.

This was a pleasure and if you know me IPAs are my type of beer.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a pint glass on 8/9/09

Date on the bottle reads 8/19/09

A - Ever-so-slightly hazy & gold in color. Poured a 1/2 inch head with ok retention. Impressive lacing - easily works its way down the glass.

S - Crisp, citrus nose - primarily grapefruit. This is a juicy critter.

T - Following the nose, the taste is full of citrusy hop goodness. Grapefruit is in abundance, as is a decent bit of pine. Toasty malt backbone. Toward the finish I tasted something akin to a shot of pineapple juice having been tossed in for luck; kind of odd at first but refreshing. Good bitterness & spice.

M - Ample carbonation adds a nice kick. Juicy bitterness lingers. On the lighter end of medium-bodied.

D - Very drinkable. I imagine this would be a good IPA for session drinking.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

Surprised I hadn't tried this one before. Poured into my pint glass a crystal clear orange with tons of bubbles rising through. Inch-sized white head caps it off, but this disappears to just a thin sheet on top. Gorgeous sticky lacing rings all over the glass after each sip. This is one of the hoppiest-smelling IPAs I've had in a long while. Big citrus, piney, resiny scent bombards the nose. Very sharp and twangy.

The mouth is crisp and refreshing. Plenty of carbonation to keep this lively. This is a good bitter beer. If you're in the mood for one, this'll scratch you where you itch. There is a subtle sweetness in the middle of this, but it finishes sharply bitter that you can't dwell on it too long. Like the last reviewer, not sure I could have many of these as the bitterness is a bit overpowering, but this is what I wanted and it did not let me down. Recommend.

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub