Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-27-2003

Reviews: 782 | Ratings: 1,906
4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

Don't have much time to report on this beer but I wanted to say at least something real quick. I had it for the first time tonight and the first thing I can say about it was what a wonderful aroma this beer had. I couldn't stop smelling it! Maybe it was this one single beer but I'm not gonna doubt anything and just that it smelled awesome. Great taste, great appearance. I could drink these all night! Really enjoyed this beer. Good job Boulder Brewing.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer is golden if I have ever seen it. The head is about a finger that falls to nothing quickly. The nose is all citrius hops. I can't wait to try his beer. I have clvand0 here with me trying this one too. He's scared of the hops. What a girlie man. The flavor is super. The grapefruit is just in your face. The hops are sweet and divine. I really dig this one. It reminds me of a toned down avery 11. The mouthfeel is thick and nice. Drinkability is just as good as it gets in my opinion. I could do a 6er of this one in a night easily. I recommend this highly.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

This Mojo IPA pours a nice pale copper and the small head sticks around and wow the aroma of hops is amazing. The taste is a nice big kick in the mouth with a nice citrusy bitterness with a nice full malt backbone. What a treat, I really love amarillo hops. The mouthfeel of this beer is what really makes this beer enjoyable. Nice thick and it leaves a nice coating of hops flavor in your mouth. What a truly exceptional beer. Thank you FeloniousMonk for the opportunity to try this bottle of joy.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

I picked up a six pack and let it sit out for a bit to take the extreme chill off the beer and bring out the flavor and nose. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange color. I had to be a little aggressive on the pour to get a decent head. The foam was slightly less creamy than expected but left a nice lace. Strong grapefruit nose and taste. Sudsy mouthfeel with a hoppy finish makes this one of the nicest IPA's I have had in a while. It was a terrific surprise how smooth and balanced it was since it had an ABV of 7.2%. I would definitely buy this again.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz bottle, best enjoyed by date of 6/12/2012 purchased at Publix (which suprised me with their selection of craft beers; cheers to Publix).

A: Somewhat cloudy copper, about 1 - 1/2 finger head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Citrus, pine, some floral notes

T: First you taste the citrusy sweetness and malt, shortly followed by the earthy hop bitterness that lingers between sips. Not overly bitter, but a very appealing flavor.

M: A little on the light side with good carbination.

O: I really like this beer. I am an admitted hop head and something about the finish of this beer keeps me wanting more. It's a shame I've already drank through six of these. Bravo, and hopefully an encore soon. Great session beer if someone else has your car keys. This goes down very easy for a 7.2 abv.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

A- slightly hazy golden with a nice sticky white head. little bit lighter body then im used to seeing in an IPA.

S- strong hop aroma. lots of pine, spices.

T- as you can expect hops are dominate. strong and lingering piney taste is the most present. spices are close behind.

M- medium body with good amount of carbonation. this is really what an IPA should feel like in my book.

D- if you like hops then this will be quite drinkable. lucky for me a am a hop lover, only problem is i only have one bottle.

overall- i had passed a few times on buying this but im really glad i finally did. ide take this over alot of the higher ranks IPA's ive tried.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

Mmm. Mojo. 12oz pours dark golden with a short, fizzy white head that settles to a nice ring. Aromas are busting out all over, with a sweet hoppiness. Something unusual, which I realize is cedar. Haven't smelled/tasted that in a beer before. Outstanding. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly. At first I think this is going to be on the raw, harsh hoppy side, but as it warms the malt balance shows itself with pleasing results. There are some caramel elements here, as well as citrus hop flavors, lemon and grapefruit. Smooth finish, hops in just the right place. Oh and by the way, my first glass was gone before I knew it, and the second...

I'm of a mind that the best offense is a good defense. So it is with this and other great IPAs - that big ol' healthy dose of malt really allows those hops to shine.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

I was fortunate to find this beer at last year's Hophead Throwdown. This really opened my eyes to what I expect from an IPA.
Pours a real attractive golden orange color w/ a full finger of fluffy bright white head.
Distinct aroma of fruity hops...grapefruits and oranges galore.
Taste is superb...a nice bitterness grabs your tongue and holds on tight. The malt is very noticeable, but make no mistake...this beer is about the hops. Becomes a bit sweeter when it warms up, but the hops keep it from becoming too noticeable. Oh yeah...this is definitely a session beer.
A top notch IPA...give it a try.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

A. Light orange with a head that leaves lacing to the end.

S. Very citrusy hops. Nice aroma.

T. Wonderful taste and very well balanced with a good amount of hops.

M. Perfect amount of carbonation and a nice medium mouth feel.

D. Yeah I could drink these all day. Awesome!

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Single 12 ounce bottle when I was in Arizona, and I should have gotten more. On to the beer:

This IPA is a clean bodied, pale orange color with a persistent rocky head. Lots of lacing is left on the sides of my chalice. The aroma is mild, but full of those little green flowers. Hops, caramel, a slightly sticky aroma, and fresh cut pine....imagine Pine Sol on the latter. The taste....oh so resiny! Very hoppy, but not overdone. It manages to pull out mango and citric flavors. Maltiness is light, but noticable. My palate love it, and it's lush oily feel is a mere bonus.

I love my San Diego IPA's, and I live 90 minutes from San Diego, so you know I get them fresh. But I regreat to inform San Diego that their offerings have been dethroned by Mojo IPA. This isn't as much in your face, but still has a beautiful intense hoppy character a hophead would crave. I drank this washing down Italian sausage stuffed tortellini with red gravy, a pairing I thoroughly enjoyed.

(Update 3/16/14: Bought a six-pack in Arizona for a mere $6.99, had a bottle for the first time in five years. Perhaps not as perfect as I remember, but still hoppy without being overworked, and very easy to drink despite its 7.2% ABV. At the very least to the masses, it's a bargain priced IPA).

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

This is probably the best $ value IPA on the market. It has the the hops content and lingering mouth feel we all want, but is not overpowering on the palate or the wallet.
appearance --> love that lacing!
smell --> makes me want to drink it fast
taste --> makes me want to drink it slow, and enjoy it
mouthfeel --> like beer should be... absolute pleasure
overall --> When I can find it, this IPA is in my fridge. There seems to be a supply issue.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

On tap at Smokin’ Joes, Southside of Pittsburgh, PA.
A: Lovely dark gold color with hues of orange throughout. Perfect amount of head for an IPA; kudos to the bartender.
S: The hops are right in your nose immediately, and they don’t go away. The varieties of hops meld nicely to create a coherent fruity and bitter scent that is pleasing and enticing.
T: Again, the hops are right on you and they stay there. However, they’re not overwhelming; rather, they’re well-balanced and complement each other nicely. Overall, fairly piney and floral. Hints of sweetness.
M: Every time I put my glass down, I wanted to pick it back up. The feeling is bitter and biting, given the style, but it’s one of the smoothest among IPAs I’ve tried.
D: Very good. I wish I could have stayed for another.
Overall, an excellent IPA. This is pretty much what I think of when I think of beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Boulder Brewing co. Mojo IPA.

A: a light amber with a thin head on top.

S: lots of sweetness, light roasted malt balances everything well, pineapple, orange peel, lily flowers, alcohol.

T: light malt, bitter piney lupulin balanced by a lot of malty sweetness, lemon peel.

M: hop bitterness hits the tongue first then gets balanced out, it @ lingers a long time with sugary malt on tongue. the lupulin is up in my sinuses but I dig it.

O: a dope IPA. One of the best I’ve had out of Colorado. Sweet, hoppy, yet well balanced. Don’t drink this if you don’t want a sugar bomb though. 4.55/5.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Just absolutely wonderful, aroma was perfect, 12oz glass if I'm not mistaken, but just from start to finish - was

A: A tad cloudy, still appropriate and just downright simple for this IPA, all should take note who fall by the wayside to this brew

S: WOW WEE - tap better than glass, no doubt!

T: Are you kidding me? citrus was running all over the place!

M: I mean c'mon, if you haven't had this, you are missing the boat. scratch and sniff and find out. Tangy, just enough and just very even from beginning to end. I enjoyed it so.

D: As one of the previous responders noted - "I could drink many more", but I only had 2

Served on tap at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth, MA, off ot Rt.3!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Sipped straight from the bottle. A circular, hypnotic array of blues, oranges, and yellows make for an inviting and interesting look.

S - Citrusy hops, I can't wait to taste it.

T - Strong hops flavor preceded by a hint of sweet. This is a fantastic tasting beer.

M - The texture is common of a good IPA and can be felt on the middle back of my tongue. This is a nice feeling brew.

~ Let me put it to you this way. I'm going to get some more.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Had this yesterday on tap at the Horseshoe Pub and liked it. A quick look at the company webpage reveals the grain bill, etc, so now I have some more education on what it was that I liked :-) Pint when served was the color of thrice brewed tea (ie, rather light-medium). Aroma came across as faint pine meets grass (Company website lists Amarillo and Centennial). I thought the mouthfeel was perfect, and appreciated the freshness in the taste. I got some nice hops which were balanced by the malt. Finished with some nice sweetness. I only ordered one, but would get it again no problem. Nice to try a new brewery!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

I really enjoy this IPA...better than most bottled IPA's in this neck of the woods.

Pours a hazy peach color...nice citrus/piney/tobacco hop aroma...body is about perfect...medium..carbonation is firm and perfect as well...taste is remarkably balanced for as hoppy as this smells...a nice bready backbone soaked in a juicy hop laden potion featuring a strong citrus (not so much grapefruit but sweeter citus like oranges), tobacco (sublte but a nice leafy component), and pine (just on the long finish)...

The hops as well done...very flavorfull but not a puckering blast the shit out of your mouth hop monster with no malt..

I think this is a very well done beer and one I will certainly be buying again.

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A slightly hazy golden amber color. Two fingers of tan head that left lacing all around the glass.

S: Pine, grapefruit and sweet orange. Slightly floral smell in there. There is a fairly strong malt presence.

T: It is the nose to the tee. It is malty as the nose indicated.

M: Medium body with a medium-light carbonation.

O An interesting concept. A floral IPA that actually has a solid malt backbone. This is something I don't seem to find too often and found myself enjoying quite a bit.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Hmm .. cheesily packaged beers often repel me. Such was the case with the bomber of this beer. After exhausting most other options, I gave it a shot.

And i'm glad I did! Hop-heads only. The beer pours a hazy, yeast-clouded golden orange. I could almost take a swim on the beach of bleached frothiness, but don't expect to see more than splotchy lacing on your glass.

You could pitch this beer to a smirnoff ice lover, saying it was an fruit beer. The beer is loaded with pungent whiffs and tastes of grapefruit, mango, papaya, and even limon.

My only complaint about this beer was the slightly metallic bitterness I encountered.

I caught only the occasional glance at malt, but at least there was no overly annoying sweetness at a fairly high ABV.

I do say for the drinkability factor, it rates quite high - you finish your pint before you know it. I would've gone for at least another bomber - seriously!

My fiancee noted that it could possibly be the best late warm summer beer.

Special thanks to bonsreeb85

Poured with a mighty head, golden caramel color, bubbly with good lace.

Smells of grapefruit and lemon! So much citrus. Floral hops as well. The amarillo hops definately make a statement here.

Hoppy goodness! I love it! Sort of a metallic off flavor. The best by date is this month so i think that has a lot to do with it and its past its prime but i must say the hoppyness is holding up strongly. I would love to get ahold of some of this fresh straight out of the tap.

Medium body leaves a dry feeling on the roof of the mouth.

Great drinkability! No alcohol presence for this 6.8% beauty. Could easily drink 6 of these in a night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

MMMmmm. This poured a nice light orange color with a very frothy white head. White as hell w/cool lacing. The smell was insanely citrius hoppy. Grapefruit flavors add to the bitterness. Awesome sweet hop taste. The mouthfeel was moderate to full. Very easy drinking. This is my kind of beer. Hoppy as fuck hides the alcohol. This is very addicting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite citrus style IPAs. I'm slightly biased as beers with centennial hops are always my favorite.
A- light bodied and pale in color. Head retention was good and really trapped in the hoppy taste of the beer.
S- Nothing over powering but you can get a hint of citrus.
T- a light citrus style. Hops for sure over power any malt characteristic but you can really taste the centennial hops.
O-Great beer, great brewery would recommend it to anyone just starting to drink IPAs as its not the most intense beer of the style but still has enough hop to satisfy the hophead in me.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

A - A clear golden color. Slight head, and minimal lace.

S - The amarillo hops dominate. Very pleasant. You can smell it as an IPA right away.

T - A mild bitterness at first. Citrusy hops dominate. So smooth. Not as bitter as other IPAs.

M - Medium carbonation. Very smooth.

D - Excellent. It is so smooth and the alcohol is nicely hidden. I am craving another one! A very nice IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

"Hi, my name is Brent, and I'm a hophead." "Hi Brent." Throw this beer into the middle of a meeting of hopheads anonymous, and a riot will ensue. Wonderful grapefruity hops aroma. Rather surprisingly, the grapefruit notes did not carry into the flavor, and initially I was a bit let down that the anticipated Cascade-like notes did not smack me in the face (the bottle notes Amarillo hops are used). The hops bittering seemed rather flat at first, but the pungent hops bitterness was so well integrated and balanced, that each sip called for another. Soon, the hopping developed a pleasant herbal character that was quite engaging.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

I've had this beer in the past and was happy it came with the Beer of the Month Club shipment so I could enjoy it again. Pours an orange amber color with a 2 finger creamy off white head; head is fluffy like whipped cream and lasted a while. Pretty nice lacing that leaves rings and slides down the glass very slowly; it holds on to the glass for a while with a good grip.

Smells of floral hops, piney hops, citrus, orange peel, some sweet malt and a little caramel; hop aroma dominated the nose and was very pleasant to smell. Very nice start to this IPA.

Tastes of floral hops, piney hops, orange peel, grapefruit, sweet malt, caramel, pine, grass or hay, light bread (like wheat bread), some lemon zest and a slight hop spice burn which is very subtle and on the sweet side. This brew actually has a slightly bitter finish that must be from the massive amount of hops used. Great IPA taste that's sweet up front with hops throughout, but it maintains a good enough malt balance to be quite drinkable. Very complex and enjoyable, with the hoppiness and sweetness mixing well in a way that allows for the sweet floral hops to dominate the flavor in a good way.

Mouthfeel is on the creamy side and goes down very smooth with little to no carbonation, a medium body and slick oily feel on the tongue.

I couldn't taste the high alcohol content as these went down smooth, but after a few I could feel the alcohol content and kick. This is highly drinkable and consistently flavorful. I highly recommend this beer. Great beer that I look forward to having again!

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub