Sundance Amber Ale | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by Quaffer on 06-12-2003

Reviews: 97 | Ratings: 121
1.81/5  rDev -46.6%

This beer poured out of the bottle to reveal a small head and a meduim amber color. The aroma was mildly sweet and had a slight maple component. The mouthfeel was very thin and watery. There was a mild maple taste to the beer and it finished with a slight dryness, but overall the beer was very watery and poor.

2.06/5  rDev -39.2%

Aroma: Mild and spicy hop notes, sweet bread, and a bit yeasty.

Appearance: Umm...amber? Brick red color that is slightly cloudy. An off-white creamy head that fades a little too quickly.

Flavor: Spicy hop notes follow the aroma. Wet grains and a mild vegetal note. Rye bread flavors brush that palate as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Light body with mild carbonation. A pretty crisp finish but that vegetal note keeps messing up the experience.

Overall impression: Sessionable enough but pretty forgettable. It's beer. Nothing too complex about the aroma or flavor. I'm no expert on hops but I would have gone with a higher alpha acid hop or dry hopped this with a "C" hop to really have this qualify as an American Amber. It tasted too much like a lager yeast strain and/or non-American hop varities being used here. Too much other quality stuff out there to horse around with this again.

2.34/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: True to its name, this beer poured a crystal clear, amber color. The off-white head rose up to only about a finger and dissipated quickly, leaving just a few thin bubbles floating around after a couple of minutes. There was no lacing.

Smell: The aroma was a very straightforward combination of sweet malt, light roasted malts, hops. The roasted malts gave the beer a slightly toasted, bready character. Over the top of these base aromas was a light fruitiness and a sweet melon component. The smell was the best attribute of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied, thin, and extremely rough. Not enjoyable at all.

Taste: A harsh, almost tannic, malt flavor started this one out. This carried directly over into a hops bitterness in the middle, and then straight to an odd, sour finish. The sourness seemed to grow the more I drank, to the point where I felt the need to brush my teeth when I was done. Underneath these flavors was a very light malt body that came through as being bready, but this was very, very light.

Unimpressive. I will pass on this one from now on.

2.4/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Pours a decent amber color. Clear with a faint little head.

S: Strong caramel aroma. Some malts, but not enough. No hop aromas.

T: Strange sourness up front. There are some nice hoppy flavors, but that sourness is freaking me out. Light flavors of a toasted/grainy malt flavor. Can't get around that sour taste, though.

M: Medium/full in body. Fairly sharp feeling carbonation. Alcohol seems higher than the stated ABV%.

D&N: I don't think this is something I'd either recommend or buy again. Doesn't even come close to Hopback Amber.

2.65/5  rDev -21.8%

Good God, what possessed them to put this out, the need to satisfy the mindless masses who wouldn't want anything beyond a Coors Light or...what?
Appearance: clear, perfectly ambery color, bordering on bronze, with a decent 1/4 " cream-toned head.
Some presence on the palate at first,but very quickly vanishing. Almost no hops, as they didn't show in the nose, either. Malt is smooth and somewhat tasty, easy-going, eager to please. A bit flat in the end and, while a perfectly perfunctory, adequate ale, that ain't what I likes, and I'll never revisit this again, nossir!
Another BA referred to this as "insipid": Accoding to Webster's: 1. without distinctive or interesting qualities, 2.... without sufficient taste or flavor. I'd say this fits both definitions. There's nothing going on here, folks...look away..go on home, show's over...Boring, boring, boring..it'll be a trial to finish this 6-pack, and then, hopefully, happier days will come, when I'll have better brews filling the fridge!

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the second of four Boulder beers I got in a mixed twelve for Thanksgiving weekend. This Amber pours a nice orangeish red hue with a frothy head that doesn't stick. The lacing has a bit of body as well. The nose is fruity and malty with a hint of sugars, highlighted by caramel..
The taste is crisp with a dry finish and a taste dominated by malt and sugars. The taste is a little too sweet for me, surprising for an amber and also suffers from an abundance of carbonation, reminiscent of a lager, if it weren't for the roasted malt register as well.
A bit sweet and cloying to be a real drinkable beer. A good effort but definitely not to my taste.

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

I am not sure if this beer is intentionally boring or if this was just a terrible offering. I say "intentionally boring" with the intent of conveying mild, bland, dumbed-down beer that will appeal to the drooling masses.

A: This beer is an amber red, with negligible head with a wee bit of lacing. Nothing special there.

S: Grainy, but without depth. Other than a minimal spice, this is a ver boring nose.

T: And the tast follows suit... Though this beer was on tap, I swore I could taste the aluminum of a can. A dose of malt and a whisper of hops give you only enough of a glimpse to see what this beer could have been.

M: Smooth enough to merit finishing the glass.

D: Nothing offensive about the beer that would make me cut out my tongue...but nothing about the beer that inspires me to even get the bartender's attention for another.

2.78/5  rDev -18%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Poured a clear amber with a little fizzy head that quickly dissapated. Aroma is a bit grassy with hints of vanilla. Taste is sweet with vanilla and then almost a taste like english breakfast tea on the back end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Its an easily drinkable beer, but I'm not sure I would plunk down the money for another one.

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%

Orange amber and clear; excellent head. Little sticky lace.

Smells of wet autumn leaves. No hop spice; neutral malt smell. Disappointing.

The taste is an improvement, but not by much. The aroma still predominates the flavor here, although there is a hop presence. The malt tastes "dirty"; not like dirt, but unclean. Still the body is solid and the carbonation fits.

I'd avoid this one. I'll finish it but will not buy another.

2.8/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours the color of watery cherry Kool-Aid. The head is half and inch in height, and recedes slowly but leave no lacing. The aroma has a generic malt sweetness, with a hint of tropical fruit. This smells like far too many other none-interesting ambers I have had. It tastes just like all those other beers too, but with a little more flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a bore. I don't think I will have it again.

2.81/5  rDev -17.1%

First off let me say...eehh- not awful, not impressed either. Very average & I honestly expected more from Boulder. I really enjoy many of their other offerings especially those of the looking glass series. But this one lacks the flavor I'm looking for. Hardly any hop flavor here, low bitterness- which is OK, but no hop flavor or aromas, just a simple Amber Ale brewed with a fair amount of English malt (?) for residual earthiness (and/or its a lil long in the tooth?- wouldn't know no date!) & cardboard/fat off flavors. There resides a small amount of caramelized Maple sticky sweetness coats the tongue- & finishes ok but in general I ask, wheres the flavor? Are my standards set too high? don't know but Ballast Point, Bell's & Stone Levitation (not in order) are definitely better beers and do a lot better job of putting together a "package" this one is just a bit bland & of moderate character. a C+ at best because this is a pretty looking beer, nice head retention & bright copper/amber hue.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

From my notes of Oct 25, 2009:

It poured a clear dazzling reddish gold with over a finger's worth of foam. No lacing to speak of.

The smell was very bready and had some toastiness to it that made for a rather sweetish nose overall.

The taste brought the bread, light roasted malt, and a lot of sweet tones that was only offset by a very mild showing of some hops. I didn't enjoy the flavours much as there wasn't enough complexity, even for a simple Red Ale.

The body was between light and medium and the carbonation was medium.

Drinkability? I bought this as part of Boulder's Sampler pack and I'm glad I only have 3 more bottles to drink rather than 5. ;^) This just isn't my kind of Red....

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%

A: This beer was a good looking orange amber in color and had an off white head.

S: I did get the carmel smell from the beer and the hops.

T: It started sweet and the flavor turned bitter and lingered with the taste I could only describe as plastic.

M: The beer tasted best really cold. It seemed to loose something as the beer warmed up. The carbonation was not too bad and the beer was actually refreshing.

Serving Type Sampled: 12fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. No extra features but a nice sunset picture!

Appearance: Copper in color, small tan head that faded quickly into a loose lace. Very clear.

Smell: Sweet malt and citrusy hops

Taste: Very strange on the palate. At first it’s like bang! Bitterness and caramel malt. But just as quick as it hits you, it’s gone leaving nothing but a metallic aftertaste. There is a slight hoppy note some where in the middle but it is really mild. I also taste a sweet note maybe brown sugar. I haven’t had many beers that fade as quick as this one.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, medium carbonation

Drinkability: Good, I guess. I found this beer to be really strange. I don’t think that I will ever purchase this beer again but by no means is it bad.

This one is an amber color with orange hues and a two finger off white head.
The aroma is surprisingly malty, but has some citrus like hop character.
The flavor is very similar to the flavor. It has a caramel malt base with some citrus hops as well. It is also a bit grainy as well.
Mouth feel is medium in body and moderately carbonated.

This is a good beer, but nothing that I will go out of my way for.

Standard amber color with a tan head. The smell is faint of sweet malts and soem caramel. The taste has a mild malt profile that has soem light bitter hops. A good light to medium body is refreshing. A drinkable session brew, but a bit over priced. Up there with most other ambers.

3.01/5  rDev -11.2%

"This is deja vu all over again"...maybe it is just "creeping old fartism" thats gettin' the best of me...I am tiring of that same hop profile that so many brewers think just gottta be. I am suspicious it is the Cascade that is getting on my nerves but might be the Chinook or Willamette or all of them. It may be that it is not a particular hop but too much of it that bugs me....I will fugure it out.

This brew looks appealing enough..light amber, head had decent retention. Grassy smell, hint of chamomile and vanilla. Once my taste buds became fatigued, taste wasn't all bad but still it has that hoppy overload that IMHO is becoming far too prevelant in American beers. There are ways to make interesting beers without hopping the hell out of them. If you like it...you like it, if you don't....you don't.... it's wearing me out.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a clear heavily ruby toned gold with a thick head. Slight hop nose with not much else going on really. Flavor is too thin like the Pass Time Pale Ale I tried last. Almost watered down and overall weak. You get those characteristics you expect from the style, but there is no grace or beauty about it. Just lacking overall. Mouthfeel is good, but with so little to offer, the drinkability stays low.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck with a sunset scene on the label. Couldn't find any date information on the bottle.

Appearance: As advertised, this one pours a solid amber color with no haze. Thin head with some lacing, and a bit stays on the top the whole way down.

Smell: General maltiness - nothing much stands out here.

Taste: Again, fairly generic. Nothing bad to say about it, but nothing that interesting going on either.

Overall impression: This is a fairly run of the mill beer.. not bad, but there are better offerings out there, but from this brewery and others.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

I felt this to be a pretty marginal amber ale. I had a McTarnahan's a few months ago, and have since been ruined for other amber ales (I really enjoyed it). This one was OK, but simply did not measure up to the best amber ales that are out there.

This beer pours a color that would best be described as...amber. Aroma was lightly hoppy, with a significant malt presence. Flavor was fairly balanced, but not very distinctive. As I was drinking it, I started to snack on some food, which made the hop character jump out at me a bit more, but it was no means substantial, particularly not for those who usually seek out large quantities of hop flavor. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

There's nothing wrong with this beer...it's just a bit boring. There are times I crave roasty maltiness, and there are times I crave hoppiness. But there aren't really times I crave middle of the road amber ales, so I'm not sure where this beer fits in my drinking repertoire. Not bad, but just not for me.

I bought this at Liquor Mart in Boulder when I visited CO for the Great American Beer Fest. It rode back to Milwaukee in my wooden leg.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

A pretty average gateway style micro brew. Pours a reddish copper with a small off white head. Thin malt presence in the nose, but some astringent, tart hops are definitely there. Taste is also thin on the malt, and the hops are just too one-dimensionally tart. Finish is acidic and bitter. Not too bad, but there are much better ambers out here in the West.

3.05/5  rDev -10%

High carbonation brings thick but lacy head atop a deep auburn colored brew. Sweet malt aromas are strong on the nose. The flavor is very malty, sweet, and slightly toasted. Very little hop presence. Somewhat out of balance. Sweet malty finish. Nice and fresh off of the tap.

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

Deep red in color with a modest head. Some slippery lacing left on the glass.

Smells earthy and yeasty with light hops, citrus notes and sweet malts.

Definately leans towards the malty side on this one. Low hop presense which is not what I prefer for the style. Low carbonation as well which I can especially tell on the finish. Bready malts with caramel and a tart undertone. After tasting this I can see why this is hard to find outside of Boulder.

Mediocre.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

this is one of those tough reviews where there's not much more to say about a beer than it's average. nothing special about it, yet nothing makes it that dreadful. everything about it is pretty much typical for this style. pours an amber colour with a slightly sticky head. the smell is a little floral, a little caramel and a little hop and malt. nothing bold here. the taste is a watery version of the smell. nothing that defines this brew once again. it starts a bit sweet, goes into a malt flavour then combinies with a malt/hop finish.. it is not as crisp as i'd like it to be for a light to medium bodied ale. drinkable? sure, but just because it's so basic. there are scores of other amber ales i'd rather have in this one's stead. overall...eh.

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a nice, slightly hazy amber color (as it should). Aroma was fairly assertive hops, but the actual hopping was less pronounced in the flavor profile. Solid malt presence, with some biscuit flavors. A little watery at the finish, but not too bad. An okay beer, one of the better so far from this brewery, relatively speaking.

Sundance Amber Ale from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub