Sweaty Betty Blonde | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Availability: Summer

Added by Quaffer on 06-06-2004

4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

Best Beer I have ever had, and it comes with a healthy kick too! I want MORE!! It is a spring beer that only comes around once a year, but I anticipate having this beer and beg my supplier to have it in stock for me. From the great, clean taste to the appearance and feel of this beer, it gets consistent high marks from me.

4.67/5  rDev +34.2%

This beer came a pale cloudy cider color that fades to gold near the bottom of the glass. The head consists of a wide collar of small white bubbles.

Smells of sweet honey and creamy wheat with some orange citrus. There’s also a smooth milky yeast that seems to ties this all together.

Tastes of doughy wheat and oats with an awesome, milky banana and clove presence. This is followed by a snap of citrus that helps dry the flavors out and helps this finish with a little clove and a pasty wheat.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied and not too heavy at all.

This one’s a dead ringer for a Bavarian Weitzen. Well done!

4.52/5  rDev +29.9%

Appearance - straw, hazy pour, little to no head formation.

Aroma - heavy on the yeast. Doughy, banana, as authentic it can be.

Taste - lots of yeast, same as the aroma. Some light sweet/sour lemon flavor, diluted and distant. The banana and yeast dominate, this reminds me of the better German wheats I've tried, very well done.

Mouthfeel - smooth, muted carbonation, on target.

Drinkability - a hidden gem, this one. For an American wheat, it can compete with some of the best German hefes out there.

4.49/5  rDev +29%

4.45/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Betty hit my glass a nice golden yellow, and just a bit hazy. Her smell was all about clove and banana.

She tastes very much like she smells- clove hits hard, and banana creeps in. There's a sweet maltiness underneath the whole way.

In my mouth, she feels fizzy and a bit thin, yet very smooth.

Nice and drinkable, I wouldn't mind another run-in with Betty.

Be well
-UF

4.43/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a cloudy golden blonde with a very thick frothy head that settles very slowly leaving a luxurious lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose if very pleasant like fresh bread, lemon and citrus notes with a very floral blend of flowers and hops. The nose is sweet.

The taste is very satisfying with a hint of a Saison farmhouse ale from Belgium in the Flemish region. The taste is very satisfying with subtle hops and lemony flavors that match the nose. The beer is not dry with a leaning towards fruity, but not too sweet. This one is very satisfying and nicely balanced. The hops make their presence known as you finish your swallow with the sweet giving way to a very pleasant bitter. This is a very nicely balanced beer and I really like it.

The mouthfeel is satisfying, though a tad bit watery for how good this beer taste. But it is not detracting from me enjoying it at all.

Overall this one is an excellent beer and I would love to buy it again.

4.42/5  rDev +27%

A - This beer is a beautiful glowing beige/gold ...like yellow candle wax, it has a translucence despite it's opacity. Sadly, the head is flimsy and only reaches one finger for the first few seconds before turning into soapy dishwater. A small amount of foamy lace slides down the glass.

S - Funky wild yeast notes smell very barnyard-ish and almost nasty. I like nasty! This has orange and carrot juice notes....like V8 Splash or something, and there actually is a sweaty component to this nose.

T - Wow! I liked the nose, but the flavor is great. Orange and pineapple fresh fruit salad with those big funky yeast flavors that I loved in the nose. This actually reminds me very much of Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly.

M - Waxy, lightly carbonated, and heavy. These are actually odd feelings for the style, but I like it! The finish is all tropical fruit and Belgian yeast.

D - Killer. This is a killer, killer brew for the summer! I could quaff this stuff until I puke....not that I would do something like that, but I could.

4.39/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy, nearly opaque golden yellow, with just a tiny hint of copper. The white head was tiny, even after a hard pour. Little lacing. Smell is wheaty and pleasant, with slight hints of banana and lemon. Taste is sweet, lots of the wheat flavor, just a small hint of bitterness and lemon. This is right up there, next to paulaner Hefe-Weizen. This one isn't quite as fruity as paulaner's is, but absolutely great.

4.35/5  rDev +25%

This beer recently took 1st place in the American Wheat category at a Brew fest in Rhode Island. Widmer Bros hefe came in second. Widmer Bros. hefe is my everyday favorite brew. So I had to give Sweaty Betty a try.... Not available in Utah I brought some home from a recent trip to AZ. This is a nice American Wheat. It has a hint of banana and clove, but not like a Bavarian style-hefe. It is more in the American wheat camp....smooth and not too spicy. It' s well worth a try if you like American wheats like Widmer, Pyramid, etc... If you're looking for a Bavarian style like Keller Weiss or any of the German wheats then it may not be spicy enough. If you're looking for a smooth American wheat with a just a hint of spice that goes down nice, then Sweaty Betty is a good choice. If it were available locally, I'd drink it regularly.
It also has a higher ABV at nearly 6 percent, but without the heavier spirit taste. You'd never know it from the taste. It goes down like a 4.8, so beware...it's smooth and w/. The higher alcohol content could pack a punch....

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Crisp, Clean and refreshing. I will buy over Harpoon and SA. Certainly will suit the non-traditional Hefe taster as it may seem "light" to those more experienced palates. Also, checks in at 5.9% but doesn't taste like it. I loved the finish and after taste.

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%

Bought this beer in a 6-pack from Smoke Land in a Samuel Adams Pint class.

A: Yellow color with thick cloud

S: Fruit with a hefeweizen smell.

T: Tastes like a blue moon with an orange or even a hefeweizen.
You can taste the blonde in it and definitely the fruit. Very Sweet.

M: Light Bodied, awesome flow through palate and mouth

D: A mix between a Hefeweizen and a Blue Moon. Awesome beer! Easy for a new beer drinker or a party beer.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably my favorite wheat beer not from a bar tap. I bought it at the same time as some Samuel Adams Summer Ale, and while that was good, this was just slightly better. It had a little more of a citrusy taste, which I enjoyed.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Updated 09/04/06:
I basically stand by what I had written before however I would like to add that the smell this time was more of a citrus fruit than banana, and the taste had quite a bit of lemon tang to it. I wasn't served with a lemon, thank goodness, but it still had that nice citrusness to it.
I once again enjoyed this beer.

Original:
This beer poured a cloudy light copper color.
Smelled of yeast and bananas. The taste was of canned peaches and bread dough.
It had quite a bit of carbonation with a dry finish.
I felt this was a great hefe. I had this beer after a weekend of backpacking, my mind was quite numb and my notes on this beer were sparse. I’m sure it deserves more description than I can decipher from my notes

4.28/5  rDev +23%

A- Cloudy, opaque pale yellow body with a healthy creamy white head. Leaves behing plenty of lacing in the glass.

S- Citrus and spice immediately hit the nose followed by hints of wheat and yeast.

T- Citrus upfront with spice and wheat in the background. Finish is smooth and refreshing. Yeast lingers in the back of the palate until the next sip.

M- medium carbonation and yeasty body. Goes down easy and very smoothly.

D- This is very drinkable and is a great representation of the wheat beer style. The wheat and yeast can be tasted, seen, and felt but are accented with citrus and some spices.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. A bit cloudy but not much.

Aroma is full of wheat, citrus and a bit of clove. Standard for the style and they show in the nose, which is critical.

Taste is light and citrusy with a good hint of wheat and clove upfront. Tasty. Clean and inoffensive.

Mouthfeel does feel a bit odd though. The wheat leaves a bit of veggie taste (not sure how to describe it) toward the middle-end of the mouth. Probably my taste buds are a bit off. Otherwise, it tastes like a standard american pale wheat ale with lingering clove and citrus as well.

Not bad. I like it and it's easy to drink and could be sessionable as well

Sweaty Betty Blonde from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub