Mojo Risin' Double IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Added by UnionMade on 02-12-2007

1.09/5  rDev -70.7%

1.25/5  rDev -66.4%

2.12/5  rDev -43%

Picked up a 4 pack from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. Around $10.

A: Hazy gold color, tan head about half an inch or so thick, with excellent lacing, pretty fair head retention. Quite cloudy.

S: Booze, big time (never a good start for DIPA), sort of a weird spicy hop characteristic mixed with a citrus characteristic that doesn't quite fit, almost rotten grapefruit, I hope this isn't incredibly old (no freshness date), caramel malts start to shine as it warms. Not that impressed right now.

T: Caramel malt, and odd bitterness, almost tastes like rot, steamed vegetables?, I don't know what is wrong with this beer, but wow. Almost no other flavors are present.

M: Thick, and hot with booze, fair amount of carbonation.

D: This could be a drainpour. There is nothing going on in this beer that says DIPA, it tastes like rotten vegetables. I really hope that I can try this beer fresh, because I have no idea how old this is. Not good. Sad showing from one of my more regular breweries.

2.12/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

With Two Hearted Ale in my book being a perfect 2.5, this being, in spite of it Double IPA branding, is easiest a 1.75.

2.16/5  rDev -41.9%

I found this beer to be very disappointing. Full disclosure: I tried this about an hour after having sampled Sierra Nevada's HOPTIMUM, which was superb.

I can't quite make out the aroma. It is certainly strong enough, but not especially appealing. There is a slight, off-putting, "rotten fruit" quality to it.

The taste fares about the same. It's not horrible, but each gulp makes me cringe slightly. I guess I'm getting some hops, but I can't say that the taste sensation is pleasurable.

One positive is that the high ABV really doesn't exert itself very much.

I don't know anything about the brewery's other offerings, but this is one I would not willingly imbibe again.

If I had tried this BEFORE trying the HOPTIMUM, would my review have been more positive? Seriously, I really, really doubt it.

2.17/5  rDev -41.7%

A: Pours a a slightly hazy, deep gold with a 1/2-finger head with no retention. Mediocre lacing

S: Apple, hoppy aroma with some sweet malts. I'm also getting some cinnamon??

T: Hmmm. Leads with a blast of unbraced sweetness, followed by noticeable alcohol, and bittersweet apple juice aftertaste. Yikes for a double IPA....

M: Medium body for an IPA. Could use more carbonation

O: Really missed the mark for me. It was an IPA so I was looking for some nice hoppiness, but got fermented apple juice instead. I double checked and the bottle was fresh. Another disappointing brew from Boulder...

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

Amber orange color. Thick, sticky head that hangs around and leaves thick lacing. Lots of sediment for some reason. Smells a lot like sweet pink grapefruit and ripe pineapple. Very sweet nose. Taste is pineapple and malty sweetness on the front. Still sweet in the middle, then bitter/citrus sour on the finish. Sweeter than I expected for a DIPA, yet taste follows the nose exactly. Tons of citrus and very sweet. Too sweet for my taste. Cloying aftertaste. I'm gonna give this a fairly low rating because it's too sweet for an IPA and it doesn't dry in the finish. The load of sediment is offputting also. Had to pour out the last bit because of the chunks... Eww.. Leaves a musty, moldy aftertaste.

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Transparent gold with a massive khaki head thick lacing.

Earthy, vegetal aroms with pine and caramel.

Tastes like honey, cinnamon, toffee, broccoli and powerful resin.

Punishingly bitter and boozy without much reward.

2.32/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A- This one has a lot of "floaties". I wonder how long ago it was bottled... Golden-amber color, a good amount of head. Semi-transparent.

S- My wife and I agree that this doesn't have a good beer smell. Not appetizing. Almost smells like cereal.

T- Not much going on. Actually kind of flat tasting. Not a bad aftertaste though.

M- Its ok.

D- IMO, too easy to drink for a DIPA.

2.51/5  rDev -32.5%

I haven't had this beer since it first came out, so I thought it was time to revisit. Poured from a bomber in to a Grand Marnier glass. Color is a clear orange, with a tidy, not too large looking white head. Smell gives off some honeydew, wildflowers and a big whiff of alcohol. From taste I get peaches, pears, some grapefruit, slight medicinal flavor, vodka, again very boozy. Body is medium, mild hop bitterness and again, lots of alcohol. Drinkability is a chore with this one. Sort of a shame considering how much of a fan I am of straight up Mojo. Oh well, either way awesome name. Cheers

2.52/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Hazy orange amber with a small amount of head (thats what she said) but a good amount of lacing.

Smell: pithy, orange peel, not too appealing

Taste: Oranges, with a smooth finish as it hold its alcohol quite well. Smooth but not perfectly balanced, with bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: slightly flat with a metallic aftertaste

Drinkability: For the money, it doesnt feel right or balanced enough. Nothing exciting about this beer or the vague aftertaste now left in my mouth.

Reviewed on: 4-16-2010--