Mojo Risin' Double IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

boulderbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by UnionMade on 02-12-2007

3.97/5  rDev +5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orange color and a mostly clear texture, though it a little cloudiness to it. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Average lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, citrus, and a piney quality.

T: Tasted of hops, citrus (perhaps a little grapefruit) and pine resin. A decent, well-balanced flavor that actually gets better as you go along.

M: A well carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a solid, generally drinkable Double IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

"This falls within the spectrum of wet and juicy for pale ales. The flavor is rather like slightly watered down unsweetened apple cider; said flavor is mostly hit and run but there's a nice cookie dough finish in the texture.
Kinda flirts between being an amber and a pale ale... neither style is one I like very much but I find myself enjoying this inbetween place.
If you happen to reach for Sierra Nevada when you want a pale ale then this might not be for you but if you're looking for something that's pretty juicy (almost cran apple?) without being cloying then this would fit the bill."

This was my review in 2006 of Hazed and Infused made by Boulder. I find that a lot of this holds for this brew with the volume turned up on everything. The flavor profile starts to spill more over into the barley wine spectrum- sweeter, maltier but still with big hop flavors. Tangerine type citrus flavors with sweetened black tea. Full and smooth on the palate. Cran-apple still makes sense to me when I have this.
Not quite what I'll reach for when I want a double IPA but it's a decent bang for your buck sort of brew. Alcohol is well hidden and used. Enough flavor to make things interesting.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

I have a pretty specific idea of what I want IPAs to taste like, and I'm not as of yet used to double IPAs. This strikes me as closer to a barleywine or tripel than an IPA; usually I dislike that heavy-malt character in hoppy beers, but this is played quite well. The hops punch you in the mouth while there is a distinct note of honey in both smell and aftertaste, almost like having one of those prepackaged agave nectar straws.

This isn't likely to become something I want around on a regular basis, but it would be interesting to give this to someone who hates IPAs and see what they make of it.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

I look forward to this release every year. A doubled up version of Boulder Beer's Mojo IPA, this beer is exactly what a double IPA should be. Pours a deep golden color with a white foamy head. Aromas of banana, grapefruit and nuts really want to make you take a sip. The palate is full, round and pack with hops, although there is a slight sweetness that tones down the bitterness of the hops. Great Beer!

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Review from notes.

A: Fingers worth of head, transparent warm golden yellow. Slight brown color.

S: Smell is full of amarillo. Apricots, peaches and grapefruit. Big dry fruit aroma and very, very sweet smelling. Hops aren't as present as should be.

T: Hops kick in a bit on the palate. Grapefruit and citrus zest. Tastes like a hopped up red. Good piney hops and floral notes. Still a tad too sweet to be a good DIPA but very flavorful.

M: Thick like nectar, the light color would make you think this would be thin and fizzy.

D: Dangerously good, glad I split this with the lady friend. She enjoyed it very much. Has the danger level of hopslam with its sweetness and high abv.

3.31/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a good thick dipa. Yellow and orange colors, big head retention. Aroma nothing to write home about.

Taste, way sweeter than I expected. More like a barleywine than a dipa. Like their single IPA much better. Very bitter. But tastes like no dry hopping occurred, lacks the citrus hop quality so popular for a reason in many dipas.

Mouthfeel, just a bunch of bitterness, not anything special. Drinkability not so much, pricey and not what I want in a dipa too often.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

review from notes

A- pours a hazy yellowish amber. a finger of lacy white head. good lacing but the retention is lacking.

S- heavy floral aroma. some yeast esters mixing with that. a bit of caramel malt sweetness in the backround

T- again, a load of floral hops and a little bit of citrus. finishes bitter, bready, with the sweetness mixing with the bitterness to give some balance. the sweetness starts to standout near the end and show a hint at the big ABV

M/D- medium to full in body. maybe a little too much carbonation. I drank a Hopslam just before I had this one and the Hopslam went to much quicker. still not bad for a 10% beer, though. $3 a bottle is a bit expensive but I'll still pick up a single occassionally after I finish off this 4pk

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint.

A: Pours an ever so slightly hazy orange. Produces a finger of white head.

S: Lots of hops here. Lots of potent citrus hops.

T: Again hops, and lots of them. Mainly citrus with a hint of pine hops. Despite the amount of hops there is a slight malt backbone to this. The one downfall here is the strong presence of alcohol in the finish. Trust me I am not at all opposed to alcohol; however, it feels overwhelming here.

M: Medium bodied with with a fair degree of carbonation.

D: Felt it was fairly low with this one. Granted 10.5% is pretty high regardless, but you feel it more that you should in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours a dark golden color with a slight haze. A finger of head quickly disappears but leaves a bit of lacing.

S - Floral and citrusy hops fill the nose without much malt or other smell.

T - The hops hit and hit hard, there is a strong alcohol bite as well that is backed up by the malt.

M/D - Between the heavy hop hit and alcohol bite, the drinkability is only a bit above average. The mouthfeel is harsh, but that's what a lot of DIPA try to achieve.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

12 ounce bottle in duvel tulip, bottled may 09 this one is over nine month old.
A: impressive bone white head. hazy golden orange bits of hops in the glass

S: Malts, not much aromatic hops, there is too much age on this one for the hops to shine through. It mellowed out.

T: has the english malt profile, earthy hops, the alcohol is well hidden. this is good but I have to get my hands on a fresher one, however this one is tastes awesome, tastes like an english bitter mixed with a english barley wine it is good. If it was not reviewing an ipa i would give it 4.5, but I am giving it a lower rating because this is nine months old and what I am drinking is not what the brewer intended it to be.

M: right on point with other beers in this style category

D: I need to find a fresh bottle and try that. Once I saw the date was over nine months old I was not going to post a review, but it was a great tasting beer. If i had another one I would drink it, but two beers tends to be the limit when the abv is 10%.

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media, PA:

Poured into snifter glass. Nice golden color with a puffy 1 finger head. Smell is mainly dominated by grapefruit but there is also a hint of pine. Taste is lead by the citrus with a solid malt backbone. I think the booziness of this beer hurts the taste. It definitely gets more dominant as it warms. Its on the thicker side when it comes to mouthfeel. Drinkability is ok but again the booziness and high abv hurts this beer. I try the mojo risin every year hoping to like it better than the previous but it still comes up short in my opinion.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Aggressively poured into pint glass....

A: Yellow orange golden hue that is very clear with a two finger creamy head that stands pretty firm.

S: Typical citrus grapefruit with a little piney hop lingering in there as well. All backed up by some caramel malt and the booze is faintly detected.

T: Follows the nose but with added malt that tends to dominate just a little too much. Needs more bittering hops to balance it out just a touch, but its a nice flavor. Nothing standout about it, solid DIPA flavors. The booze comes across in the mid-palate but not too heavy.

M: Medium heavy body with nice carbonation, just enough to lift the high abv off the palate so its not too heavy.

D: The booze and heaviness of this beer make it a little less drinkable than desired, but its a huge DIPA, not looking to down this in ten minutes...

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a orangeish-amber color with white head. Aromas of citrus, grapefruit amd caramel malt. Great citrus grapefruit flavor with a generous malt backing. Pretty nicely balanced IIPA. Body is rather "thick" as well. Great bitter finish. Not Bad! Thanks Anna Lisa.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz Bomber poured into pint glass.

I was excited to try this one. Was not at all what I was expecting.

Pours a nice golden copper color with a good finger and a half of white head that stayed for quite a while before turning into a solid cap on top of the beer. Decent lacing.

Upon first smell, I picked up a nice aroma of hops. Then when I took another whiff I got a strong alcohol burn. Alcohol definately shouting out loud in the aroma.

First sip wow. I was a bit disappointed. Strong heat from alcohol and that was the main flavor, then a little hop taste and a strong bitterness. The bitterness was actually not bad, but the alcohol burn was not pleasant. This beer reminds me of DFH 120 minute only with half the alcohol. Kind of confused how this is possible. But it really reminds me exactly of that. Not as sweet as the 120 minute but just weird.

Mouthfeel was kind of mediocre. A little watery. The carbonation was pretty good. Left a slightly creamy finish. But overall the beer is a bit thin feeling.

Drinkability is the downfall of this one for me. I LOVE DIPAs but this one is just not that drinkable. I'm not even halfway through this bomber and I wish I had a friend here to help me finish it. It's like trying to chug a DFH 120 minute by yourself. It's a pretty rough one to get through. As this warms it just gets worse. The alcohol is not hidden at all and it's starting to feel like I'm drinking rubbing alcohol.

My conclusion is I simply won't buy this one again. I'm a hophead and this one is just not for me. It gets you buzzed very fast. But it's just not worth it to me when it doesn't taste good. Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Crisp clear orange with some carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass. Fluffly white head on tops that retains well and leaves very nice webbing.

S: Some mellow citrus notes of apricot, mango, and pineapple. Not as pungent as some others but very nice none the less

T: Mellow hoppy bitterness with, a twinge of citrus hops. Not too much in the way of balance, or complexitity.

M: Nice creamy feel, and surprisingly there is no booze present.

D: For such a high abv it is very well hidden and very drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Orange-gold in color with a big cloud deck of white foam
Aroma-very fragrant piney citrus
Taste-Grapefruit, big, juicy hops, snappy and tasty-nicely balanced and smooth finish
10.5ABV just glides by with barely a whisper.
A must for all hopheads! Get some!!

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. 3 finger head. Nice dark orange color. Thick lacing. Good retention.

S. Big hop smell. Piney citrusy hops. Grapefruity citrus. Huge hops and not much malt. Nice Amarillo hop smell.

T. Nice hop bitterness. Some sweet malt to balance the onlsaught of hops. A bit of bready biscuity malt. Maybe a hint of honey? Higher alcohol content is pretty well hidden.

M. Medium bodied. Pretty dry finish.

D. I have a fondness for the smell and taste of Amarillo hops. I like Mojo IPA. This is a good attempt at an amped up version of regular Mojo. This is not the best DIPA out there, but still a very good beer.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

On nitro at Max's tonight.

The beer pours a peachy gold color with exceptional head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. On the other hand, the nose is really dumbed down on the nitro, with barely more then a hint of hoppy citrus, along with a some underlying pepper. The flavor profile also loses something, and this beer is much drier and much more angular on nitro then it is on cask or draft. On nitro, this beer comes across as a much drier, much leaner beer. Mouthfeel is light and fairly creamy, which is a plus, but it's too high a price to pay for the loss of flavor (IMHO). On the bright side, I don't detect any alcohol on the finish, which given the abv., is a big surprise. Of the three different formats offered at Max's tonight, this is my least favorite.

Still a nice beer, but this does not show well on the nitro.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

12-oz bottle. Attractive beer with light amber color, a tall white head. Some darker solids suspended in the upper half.

Aroma is malt and some caramel mixed with orange and dried apple.

Heavy sweet malty taste with more dried apple and some apricot. Tangy hoppy.

Clean finish with no unpleasant notes aftertaste.

Sticky texture. Mouth coating. Overall a pleasant beer.

Very much like its younger brother but BIGGER in most ways. Drinkability limited slightly by its intense sweetness.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours smooth, with close to an inch of rich, cream-colored head that dissipates relatively quickly, leaving ripples of lacing around the inside of the glass. The beer itself is a very appealing, nearly opaque hazy copper.

The aroma is quite nice, though more mild than I had expected. The primary notes are inviting hops backed up by heavy malts. These mingle with a pleasantly fruity, vaguely cider like aroma, which I have not noticed in other DIPAs.

The taste is very impressive. The hops and malt hit almost simultaneously, providing a balanced, yet complex, first impression. No one taste dominates, with the sweetness of the malt and the hop bitterness complimenting each other nicely, to create a fully rounded beer. The hops dominate the aftertaste, in the form of grapefruit notes and a slight, pleasantly metallic tang.

The body of this beer is rich and smooth, as I'd expect from a good ale of this style. Despite this richness, it does not coat the tongue excessively, and so the richness does not become cloying.

At 10.5%, this isn't a beer I should drink heavily, which is too bad, because I'd really want to. It's both refreshing and satisfying, and I doubt it would get old.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

I remember trying this one at a festival. I remember it as a big whopping hop bomb. Let's see if the bottle matches the memory.

Appearance: Pours that lovely double IPA golden amber. This one is particularly hazy, which I love. An impressive, bubbly 2 finger head, which sticks around and leaves major league lacing. This is what a double IPA should look like.

Smell: A big hit of grapefruit hops. As the beer warms, the smell turns quite sweet.

Taste: The big hops dominate at first. Grapefruit, with some pine accents. As it warms, it becomes very sweet. It's a big, buff honey/caramel backbone. A bit too sweet for my taste, but quite delicious overall.

Mouthfeel: Big, thick and chewy. Very sticky. The moderate carbonation accents it all.

Drinkability/Overall: Definitely not the hop bomb I thought I was having. Maybe it even skews a tiny bit too sweet. Nevertheless, it's a delicious beer. I'll certainly add it to my dIPA rotation.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

It has been a while since I had the Mojo since it was difficult to compare the two, but all in all I thought this was a good beer.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - The Risin poured a nice golden color with a generous amount of head. The head was an off white color and faded quickly into very nice sticky lacing.

Smell - Very strong hop aroma....citrus and floral notes. Very pleasing smell that made me look forward to first taste.

Taste - Very well balanced for a DIPA. Has the bitter back end that is expected in an IPA but good maltiness.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special here. Moderate carbonation and a thinner mouthfeel then what I usually get with DIPA's. This I enjoyed. Many times, DIPA's are thick and syrupy....this one was not.

Drinkability - For a DIPA, I found this too be a very easy drinking beer.

I would recommend this to anyone that truly loves IPA's.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

wow this is a great fn beer!! i cant get these in california either so my buddy in florida hooks me up!! this brew weighs in at 10% abv and has possibly become one of my favorites probably due to the fact i cant get em! it pours off beautful dark burnt amber idk nice frothy head and lots of carb this brew tasted of hops hops and more hops and malt and more malt! feels like a party in your mouth and goes down smooth with a bit of tart finish!!

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Nice dark orange/light amber mixture of colour, with a small puddle like head, that left patchy lacing the whole way around.

Smell is okay, good malty backbone with a grapefruit presence, but not the most prolific hops presence.

Taste is more of the same. It is very sweet, and malty, with a minimal amount of hop presence. The great thing is that the alcohol is very well disguised

Mouthfeel is pleasant, and less than medium with good effervescence

Drank the 12oz easily.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this beer on tap earlier tonight while at Fathead Brewery in North Olmsted Ohio. Menu read as follows "a souped up double IPA that has a huge malty body...tons of Amarillo hops are used in the brew then in the dry hopping of this hop head delight." Poured into a 12 ounce snifter at a price of $7.00. Great initial flavor but became sweeter and sweeter as I continued drinking. I could only drink one of these in a sitting. Decent ABV at 10% and great smell and apperance. ##UPDATE 11-14-09: Aquired a bottle at the local store and ofcourse its a lot better on tap. Bottle gets a B- Overall.

Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub