1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and caramel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,705 |  Reviews: 1,572
Reviews by DrCDPriest:
3.65/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hop rich flavor and aroma, sharp crisp hop taste with a hint of grapefruit bitterness, followed by a mellower malt and hop finish. Very nice layering of flavors. Similar experience to Arrogant Bastard. Beautiful deep clear amber/dark brown color, tasted great with chargrilled steak.

3.1/5  rDev -27.7%

came out the can a cloudy dark orangish amber--darker than I'd have expected, if I had an expectation. The head rose a scant 1/2" and left the area quickly, leaving a film. Sniffwise, got to be at least 99% grapefruit. My hopes that this one-sided character would not carry through through to the taste were quickly dashed, however. Grapefruit juice, grapefruit pulp, grapefruit pith, fresh grapefruit, boiled grapefruit . . . (activate Bubba Gump voice if desired). Not to offend grapefruit fanatics, but this is a beer I have looked forward to trying for a very long time and I could already get plenty of grapefruit bombs. Better describe the finish to make this review legit. Grapefruit. The feel is fine, I guess, if you can ignore that your mouth is full of fizzy grapefruit pulp, grapefruit juice, grapefruit pith, grapefruit rind, and possibly some bits of videotape from an old Oceanspray commercial.

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear dark amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that only died down a little and consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: The smell is moderately strong and has an interesting mix of citrus, tropical fruit and pine resin aromas from the hops.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is dominated by complex flavors from the hops. There is a moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The mixture of aromas and flavors from the hops make this a very interesting IPA to sip and savor.

3.26/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

What was I thinking ?
(Am I being subjected to the onset of short-term memory loss ?)
I've Had Furious and several Surly beers and most (if not all) were too hoppy for me.
Yet, I let history (and mistakes) repeat itself. So, my rating reflects my being mad at myself. (I actually think that Surly celebrates the mainstream of American craft beer culture well... and so do its fans.)

My mistake seems setup by the Fates... from a limited beer list in a nice restaurant (that pushed wine), I order this can of Furious on a snowy April day.
While the aroma was interesting, the hops take over. I drank fast before any food came. By the second course (a delicate spring vegetable risotto), my taste buds nearly got back to normal. Barely.

#1 Moral of the story: don't forget what you don't like... and keep it appropriate.
#2 Moral: write your reviews so you remember what you don't like.... and can keep it appropriate.

Furious is reviewed in "1001 Beers to Taste Before You Die." (And arguable by me at least, should not be.)
So next is the existential question: Is drinking an inappropriate beer twice similar to dying twice?

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can, at 6.6% ABV, and thanks be to rogerdandy for the donation to the cause. I never knew this brewery had so many awesome-sounding products!

This beer pours a clear, medium copper amber colour, with four fingers of puffy, finely foamy, and mildly bubbly ecru head, which leaves some layered gear chain lace around the glass as it gently seeps out of sight.

It smells of grainy, lightly doughy caramel malt, somewhat dank pine resin, mixed domestic and tropical citrus fruit, a certain flinty chalkiness, and further leafy, floral, and grassy hop bitters. The taste is gritty, grainy caramel malt, a soft biscuity breadiness, sassy pine needles and their forest floor friends, some lemon, orange, and white grapefruit rind, still heady chalky notes, and maybe a twinge of herbal and perfumed floral acridity.

The carbonation is nice and supportive in its sturdy and yet frivolous frothiness, the body a dense middleweight, and mostly smooth, the hops kind of stepping on a few stems and pistils in their traipsing through this particular rose garden. It finishes off-dry, the biscuity caramel seeming to show just a bit more lingering heft than those swirling hop kiddies.

Yeah, this shit is good enough to make me irksome, and perhaps a tad mad that I hadn't yet encountered its pumped-up American IPA goodness. It's always when ya aren't looking, that crazily enjoyable stuff like this falls right into your lap, and even faster down your waiting gullet. Excuse me, I have to go get a bit more riled up with the rest of this tall-boy can.

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

I've had this twice now - at Darkness Day, and at Night of the Living Ales. It's always a huge treat to have this one. Served in my NLA taster glass.

A - Hazy orange-brown color, with a nice bunch of persistent bubbles on top. Not much in the way of head or lace. It's a cask beer - this is how they look! I just find cask beer decidedly unsexy looking, even if I love the taste & mouthfeel.

S - Wow! Furious on crack! Tremedous citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) with some tropical fruits (pineapple & mango). There's also some floral and grassy notes not present in regular Furious - I'm guessing there is a huge amount of amarillo involved in the second dry-hopping. In any case, it's huge & delicious.

T - It's just as delicious as regular Furious. Tons of hops, candied citrus, solid caramel malt balance, with a mild residual bitterness. I did notice that after the fifth or sixth pour the bitterness got a bit tiring. It's also a tiny bit of a letdown from the smell. Those two elements keep me from giving this a perfect score.

M - Smooth, medium-bodied, low carbonation (obviously!), great residual stickiness. Velvet creaminess, yet very refreshing!

D - Hmm...low carbonation + medium ABV + incredible flavor = I can't stop drinking this. It's probably a good thing Tea-Bagged Furious isn't available more often, otherwise I'd be adhered to a bar stool somewhere and my wife would be filing a missing persons report - seriously though, this is an incredible brew, and combines the best of extreme American hop profile with traditional English real ale texture. If appearance didn't matter so much on this site it'd be my top-ranked brew.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer is one of my favorite go to beers. It is just the right amount of citrus bite with a nice crisp finish. This isnt one of those that goes bad quickly either. Great 5-6 weeks later

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing!!!
A: a deep golden amber
S: nice aroma of hops & malt
T: hops upfront with a sweet malt backbone
F: so smooth
O: the balance of malt & hops is incredible. I new this beer was great & I wasn't let disappointed.

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 7/17/14 and poured 9/8/14. Price interestingly enough isn't on the can like the others one I got from Four Firkins. I'd guess maybe $4 for a single can wouldn't be far off.

Appearance: Semi-aggressive pour gives the darkest looking single IPA I think I've ever seen. A copper brown color with some orange tints. There are also a lot of "floaters" in the glass. The head is sand colored and bout a finger in height, and there is a little bit of initial sticky lacing. Looks pretty nice. (4.25/5)

Smell: Wow that is a malty sweet smelling IPA, yet it's coupled with insane amounts of hops. Man. Tropical fruits and citrus galore in this beer with maybe a slight floral character. This was canned about two months ago but the strength of the hop aroma coming from Furious wouldn't suggest that at all. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: I'm assuming it's the choice of hops in this beer, but there's something different about this beer as opposed to many others in the style. I get a really nice malt flavor on the front, but without a lot of sweetness -- hops immediately take over and the beer's bitter from then on. Loads of every tropical fruit ever (except durian... is that considered tropical?) with citrus, pine resin, and a little floral notes as well coming through. Aftertaste is a bit "sticky" from the hops, quite bitter, and with a little lingering malt flavor. Rinse and repeat. This beer is packing an impressive amount of flavor even at "just" 6.2%. The body is about medium with a fairly high, prickly carbonation. It seems weird, because this beer feels like it could easily be a DIPA, but considering the ABV, it works well. (4.5/5, 4/5)

I'd've LOVED to find Abrasive when I was in Minneapolis so I could compare the two, but I guess it's not out right now. Hopefully next time. Furious is a great beer that's appropriately named. This is an IPA that's in your face with the hops... but it remains somewhat balanced. Sure, it's bitter and hoppy as hell, but Surly surely didn't forget the malts. This drinks like a world-class DIPA for the most part, but it's actually a single IPA... that makes it all the more impressive.

TL;DR: The flavor of a DIPA with the alcohol of a SIPA. Must-buy.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Rustic orange-butterscotch with a gorgeous infusion of sunset coral red when backlit. A few stray bubbles rise slowly through the hop dust haze to plonk into the underside of a heavily cream cap of pastel caramel foam. Although it isn't quite a lace monster, the array of abstract patterned lace definitely qualifies as eye candy.

The nose is simply out of this world. If anything, it smells even better than I remember (and I remember it as outstanding). First of all, there's a generous amount of caramel malt present, which usually keeps me from loving an IPA's aroma. Not here though. Furious smells like buttery toffee mixed with an avalanche of primarily citric hops that are as complex in character as they are powerfully aromatic. In a word... perfect.

Furious is furiously hoppy, but it's so much more than that. It's rare to drink a beer that is this over the top with bitterness, yet this delicious. I was also going to say drinkable, but only the most hopheaded among us are likely to find that that word applies. Only 99 IBUs? It tastes like at least a hundred to me.

The secret to this excellent India Pale Ale, other than the dizzying amount of hop flavor and hop bitterness, is in the hop bill itself. Who would have thought that a combination of Amarillo, Ahtanum, Simcoe and Warrior would result in a beer with such a broad and deep flavor profile? Caramel covered white grapefruit pith is dominant. Candied pineapple and all manner of fermented tropical fruity funk are present as well.

Another good thing about Furious (among innumerable good things) is that it doesn't taste like any other IPA that I've ever had. With so many versions of the style out there, that's no small feat. Another is that I only need one hand to count the IPAs that are more hoppy. This sucker is punishing... but in a good way of course.

I'm not the least bit surprised that the mouthfeel is on par with the rest of the beer. It's closer to full than to medium (for the style) with a creaminess that is sometimes hard to appreciate with all the tongue abuse that's goin' on. I'm sure it isn't easy to create a beer that is this relentlessly hoppy that is also this supremely smooth in the mouth.

I'm a huge fan of Surly Brewing Company beer. These guys have everything that it takes to compete in the rarified air occupied by the very best American craft breweries. It all starts with vision. The fact that they also have the desire, the dedication and the talent to realize that vision is what will guarantee their success. Furious is pretty damn close to IPA perfection.

4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

L - Poured from 16oz can - Copper colored with cream tinted head

S - Nothing to overwhelming, some caramel and spice

T - Much like the smell, caramel and spice are there. Very well balanced, all the flavors come together.

F - Smooth and easy to drink

O - Very balanced, easy to drink.

2.71/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Just not very good. Too much malt which overpowers the hops.

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned 3/5/18. Pours a caramel-brown-tea color with an off-white-yellowish head of 3 fingers. Sparse lacing left on the glass as the head recedes.

Aroma of fresh pine needles, dank marijuana, old apartment complex, and moldy carpet. And more marijuana. Oh and then some more.

Flavor is way more impressive than I thought it'd be. Sticky and sweet with some caramelized brown sugar, flipping over to dank weed and pine needles, finishing on caramel rolls and baked bread. Some slight orange slice in there, too.

Feel is carbonated first, then starchy, then resiny. Poppy finish. Also instant headache with this one. Certain Lagunitas beers do the same thing to me.

Overall, besides Todd the Axeman I'm not a major fan of anything Surly, but I figured I'd try this since it was spanking fresh. It's not bad - it's not my style of IPA, but damn if it isn't a good mimic of a breakfast caramel roll with an orange slice on the side without the general sweetness, eaten in a house of pot smokers.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a very dark amber, brown in color with a huge, frothy, off-white head. For an IPA this has a very intense, piney hop flavor! Very nice. Taste is huge hop flavor. There's no way this is only an IPA. This is better than most DIPA's that I've had. Huge, and creamy on the mouthfeel. I don't know what else to say, other than this is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I've been wanting some Surly beers to see for myself what the hype is about. This one exceeds my expectations. Very well done!

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to wagenvolks for the share! 160z can split into two Brooklyn tulips. Pours a nice deep amber with a nice frothy head that slowly diminishes to a thin layer and leaves great lacing. Aroma is a wonderful abundance of sweet malts and Earthy citrus hops I could smell as soon as I started pouring. The taste is nice balance of sweet malts just slightly overpowered by citrus hops, reminds me of Oscar Blues Gordon only a little lighter and sweeter. The beer is certainly light and crisp with slight carbonation. This is a very enjoyable beer, I want more!

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to theisti for this one.

Poured a 16oz can into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Pours a dark tea brown with a huge fluff, 3 finger beige head that leaves ample lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is over the top piney hops with just a subtle hint of grapefruit and malt. The taste is west coast hoppy. Orange peel and what reminds me of the bitterness from fresh squeezed grapefruits. What's odd is the beer really doesn't have a middle. It's orangey up front and finishes with the grapefruit bitterness but leaves the body open. Odd. The mouthfeel is a bit thin. I wish that it had a little more weight to it. While it does, in my mind, have some flaws it still is a remarkably drinkable beer. At about 6% this is definitely something I could see drinking a 4 pack of in a night.

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance- Cloudy caramel color with a nice thick, dirty white head.
Lots of lacing on this one.

Smell- Hell yea! Grassy hops and grapefruit all over the place. I detect some pineapple as well. I could smell this all night long.

Taste- Lots of pineapple and citrusy grapefruit. If you give it a min there are crazy bittering hops left on your tounge after each sip. Wow. There is a little malt in the background, but gets more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel- This is a bit thick for an IPA, but good, nonetheless. There is a lot of malt character in this part.

Drinkability- very good. I wish this was available closer to me. I would buy this often.

The only other Surly beer I have had so far has been Coffee Bender and I didn't care for it to much, but this one is very good. Thank to Hopsbreath for giving this to me for no apparent reason. He will get his, though. Yes... he will get his. Thanks Jason.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Back-logged circa 12/29/2011

Appearance: Crimson bronze hue, emobossed with hop light. Aggressive pour yeilds a thick and textured full white head.

Smell: Refreshing airy citrus hop profile with a less imposing grass and pine twang.

Taste: Initial hop bite of citrus, grapefruit, chinook and citra hop profile, gestures towards characteristics of the West Coast style then sways back slightly into bitter pine and grass resine of an East Coast adherent. A hint of bready malt creates balance in the midst of this hop nectar.

Mouthfeel: Thick, astringent and full bodied and creamy.

Overall: An excellent American IPA with a unique "Midwest-esque" hop profile.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Amber orange with 2 finger head, with lots of spotty lacing. Beautiful looking beer, imo.

S: Hops hops hops! Pine, grapefruit, some tropical fruits detected.

T: ok... this beer smells better than it tastes. Not that it's bad (quite good actually) but I was expecting something a bit different. While it's hoppy and bitter, I can detect quite a bit of malt as well. The reason I don't like this as much as I expected is because it needs more sweetness.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, smooth, I get a slight alcohol at the end (which is why I can't give it a 5).

O: Pretty damn good. I prefer zombie dust over this, but this is worth it on its own.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%