Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,503 | Ratings: 5,413
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Presentation: Tall can poured into a Sam Adams Perfect pint glass. Served slightly chilled.

Appearance: A big, three finger beige head emerges on the first pour. Medium to light brown in color with some amber highlights.

Aroma: Big pine and grapefruit notes upfront. Caramel and toffee notes from the malt as well, this seems very malt forward some far. Some pineapple and citrus sweetness near the end.

Taste: Starts with big piney hop notes, but the malt is very forward for an IPA. Borders very close to an imperial red. Caramel and toffee balance out the hops. More bitter toward the end. A big pine and sweet hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full bodied for the style and sticky. Plenty of carbonation to keep crisp. Refreshing.

Overall, a really nice IPA that's big and bitter. I love that this is canned and that it is in a tallboy. Really refreshing and enjoyable. I do think it falls a bit short of the hype and it's not my favorite of the Surly brews I have tasted. It definitely is near the top of the mountain for best malt forward IPA though. Certainly worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

I enjoyed Furious with a shaker pint.

Appearance- An orange-tinged swell of foam gets to about two-fingers in wdith. It falls fast, but leaves a sticky sheet of lace on the side of the glass.

An amber-orange body has a distinct haze to it. When held up to the light, the highlights appear more golden.

Smell- The nose is spicier with some pepper and lemon rind. A little bit of herbalness underneath as well. The nose hints that I should expect a spicy and citrus palate.

Taste- The bitterness feels good and goes all the way through the drink, with a finish that is herbal and slightly biscuit-like, even a little resin thrown in.

The front of the drink has more of that distinct pepper and citrus quality. Furious is actually a little more mellow by mid-drink with the herbal character making an appearance.

Mouth feel- A great mouth feel is found in this beer. It is big and smooth. Despite the way the bitterness sticks to the jobs, it is easy to drink.

Overall- A big and bold IPA with a mellow feel. I cannot say that the peppery and herbal IPA flavors are my favorite, but the bitter kick helps keep this one exciting for me.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap at the Happy Gnome: Cloudy rust with dark honey highlights. Smooth, firm topping of lighly stained brown foam. Out of two pints I had, one was slim, one was a finger high. Tons of layered lacing score the glass with heavy sheeted rings.

Aroma is all red grapefruit, quite juicy, zesty, and fresh. Although my first was barely traceable as the second had the red grapefruit standing out very prevalently.

Taste did not differ however; big red grapefruit juicyness with a sliding edge of dry leafyness takes hold immediately with the citric bitterness. Its quite nice at first, lots of hoppy grapefruit bitterness with only a slight malt keeping it tendered in a floury bread and very dry grain. However, the bite and dryness did take the realm a little too quickly and parchingly to fully enjoy the second pint as its a palate wrecker for sure. For whatever it is (amber/IPA) I would've liked a bit more balance out of it. I might as well have peeled myself a grapefruit and not used any sugar. Nothing complex about it besides its layer of drying bitterness.

The feel is all bitter, all squeezing, all parching, and all sour grapefruit juicyness. Actually quite heavy and full on the tongue and palate. A nice pay lode of hoppy bitterness. A bit too much though, even for this hophead.

I enjoyed this at first pint. Very nice grapefruit taste and bite. But it is a bit much after a while. It tired my palate out right quick and half way through the second pint my mouth was screaming for something else so I had a Porter instead of a third Furious. I see now why it is named as so. The hops are just that. Furious.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Special thanks to tavernjef for these cans of brew.

The beer pous out a clear, dark amber color with a small beige head. The smell is dominated by a toast and toffee malt smell. There are also aromas of pine, grapefruit, and tangerine.

The taste is wheat toast and biscuits up front, followed by a strong hop bitterness. The bitter flavors seemed to be made up of grapefruit and lemons. The moutfeel is medium, but on the fuller side.

The drinkability was very good for an IPA lover. It's probably too bitter for others.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 16oz can into a clear glass mug. Canned on 06/02/11 stamped on the bottom of the can. From a superb beer haul courtesy of my brother Greg.

A: Cherry red-amber hue with 2-finger off-white, rocky head with good retention and a nice line of lace.

S: The pithy grapefruit aroma is dense and it eventually gives way to the pineapple and pine flavors. The English malts are obvious and provide a more biscuity, caramel aroma.

T: The hoppiness is pretty substantial and leaves a nice tropical fruit flavor of pineapple and mango. The citrus component is dominated by grapefruit and orange. The maltiness is English medium caramel malts. It's a very good beer, but the maltiness is a little too much and does dampen the hoppiness a little.

M: The coating feel is right there and I wish the carbonation was slightly less on this beer. The body is medium-full, more toward medium.

O: The is a very good beer, but it is not the most original or hoppy IPA. The IPA aromas and flavors are very good, but I think 8 or 10 other widely available IPAs are better including Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Victory Hop Devil, Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. Still this is a really nice beer.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Looks and smells beautiful and initial taste is good. Finish is weak and disappointing. Overall it's good, but once I finish the 4 pack of cans its probably not a beer I will buy again.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned on 6.11.12

A. Poured from a tall boy can into a perfect pint glass. A big fluffy, at least an inch and a half, off-white head that does not stick around for too long. A bit of lacing. Burnt orange/amber coloring, mostly translucent with what appears to be a bit of floating sediment.

S. Surprisingly, this does not smell as I expected. Hops seems muted. Some sweet/citrus smells, but otherwise not terribly impressive

T. I am not as impressed with this as I want to be. Decent citrus hops -- grapefruit, orange. I also taste a sweet malt presence as well. This is good, but not great.

M. Slightly carbonated, not terribly smooth.

O. This is an OK beer, I'd try it again, but overall, it is not among my absolute favorites.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours amber in color with some light red hues. There is a slight amout of haziness and a good amount of visible carbonation. Head is fluffy, about one finger, white and retains nicely.

Smell is really nice on this. Lots of grainy bready malt is forward and very nicely balanced with a good amount of piney citrus hops.

Taste is even better then the nose. Lots of tangy citrus hops are forward with a mild to moderate amount of piney bitterness and tons of hop oils and resin. Malt is semi sweet, balanced nicely with the hops and caramel in flavor.

Mouthfeel is equally great. Tons of hoppy oils and resin along with a mildly sticky body from the malt. Leaves this a nice drinking ipa.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

A) Heavy chill haze, deep amber body that holds a solid cover that laces some.

S) Loads of hops, all west coast citric (grapefruit) and pine. There is enough sweet base that promises to keep it from withering your tongue.

T) Hop oil assault, grapefruit, pine and grassy. Full malty base keep it from being over the top and lets you enjoy all the alpha acid goodness.

M) Low carbonation, medium body, and oily finish

O) Yum.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Well Surly, we meet again! :) 16oz can poured into a regular old pint glass (near perfect fit!). Canned on date of 4/14/11.

Appearance - Somewhat red/orange golden amber color with about a finger of ever so slightly off white head that's closer to fizzy than rocky, but lasting. Leaves a nice amount of lace.

Smell - Smell is of that real pungent oily/resiny hop flavor and of citrus/grapefruit hop along with pine...almost like some of oily/sap-like hop smell. Maybe what I like about this one is some floraly/perfumy hints to it, can't quite put my finger on that one. Smell is great though. Can't keep myself from sniffing the can over and over again. Caramel or pale malt smell seems to come out a bit as well and a bit of sweetness accompanying those wonderful hops. Not as extreme smelling as Abrasive and more pine that it as well, but similarities are hard to ignore.

Taste - Taste is pine with grapefruit and bright orange, caramel backbone malt to balance it all out, sweetness (but not too much), and some bitterness like you'd expect from an IPA. Malt in there is just enough to balance it, so it's just right. Not too bitter at all. Maybe a bit of tropical fruit hops on the taste, but no where near as much as Abrasive. (I know I know, I'm comparing an IPA and a DIPA, but I can't help it).

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel seems to be one of the smoother of the IPAs I've had. For the ABV, I expected it to be a bit more crisp. Finish sort of sticks to your mouth, coating with a nice wet film. The carbonation is medium/round, and the body is a medium as well. Not the easiest drinking IPA, but good.

Overall - I think this is another great offering from Surly and another great IPA. Not quite my favorite IPA but very good. I'd certainly have a bunch of this in my fridge nearly always if I lived in Minnesota. Initially thought this was closer to a 3.5. Sipping on it and contemplating leads me to change my mind. It's a 4.0 overall. Granted I feel some IPAs are better, but those that I think are better than this would get a 4.5 overall from me.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Aroma is fairly malty, with notes of caramel countered by muted grapefruit, pine, and resin.

Flavor is similar, with a biting bitter finish. Lightly sweet caramel malt carries throughout, with muted grapefruit juice and lots of pith adding complexity. The finish is a bit more harsh than I'd prefer.

Can date 6/16/11 consumed 8/3/11

A- Pours a clear copper with two fingers of tan head. Head has decent retention but leaves only a small amount of lacing.

S - Lots of pine up front, mixed with some caramel, a but of grass and quite a bit of citrus on the tail end.

T - Similar to smell with a nice punch of pine accompanied by caramel malt. After the pine fades, a big rush of citrus with a bit of earthiness on the finish.

M - medium mouthfeel, a bit lighter than I would have expected. Carbonation a little on the low side. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - a very nice IPA that I would be happy to have again. Wouldn't go to far out of my way to get though, considering the more easily obtainable alternatives.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A - slightly hazy deep copper, tall tan head with fantastic retention
S - citrus, pine, and earthiness, light caramel
T - surprised by the strong earthy woodiness, pine and grapefruit hoppiness is more subtle, healthy sweet toffee maltiness
M - medium body with a serious hop bitter that sticks to the roof of the mouth
O - an in your face IPA that delivers on its name, tasty and true but probably not for sessioning

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Ok so I am finally able to get my hand on a CAN of this wonderful brew here. Why it took so long to get something, anything from Surly is a mystery to me, but what is even funnier is I ended up with two! So not only did I have one to try, but hopefully, if its good I have one to enjoy as well. So last night I figured it was about time to pop this one open, and had a nice long pur into my Phish glass….

A – Poured a deep dark amber, nice orange hue to it. Lots of visible carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Upon pour a nice, two inch plus head of off white, tannish colored foam formed on top of the glass and had a very good retention to it. In fact, it never really did fade, but rather just shrunk down to a respectable three quarters of an inch and kinda stayed that way throughout the entire session. Great side glass lace, rally thick concentric rings formed all the way down the glass. At the end lots of sediment was visible in the bottom of the glass, which I always take as a good sign. Overall good look going for it here.

S – Aroma was intresting, definite hop tones dominating from the start, notes of citrus as well as a piney sort of smell were both very evident from the beginning. However, there was more to it then that, in fact there was a nice malted back that made up the bulk of the aroma once it started to warm. A good smell of earthen, grassy like, sugary malts layed a nice foundation behind everything and was a welcome treat.

T – The taste was wonderful. To be honest it came off to me as more of a red ale then an IPA, but that is just me. Great first assault of piney like hops. Not extremely bitter, but rather mellow and smooth and just enough to get the ball rolling. A tremdous amount of malt then becomes apparent. Great earthen tones again, and a good use of roasted malts. Nice sweetness, some light candy like sweetness, but primarily a dark, balancing sweetness to it. Great dry finish, lots of hops in the finish, with a somewhat lingering citrus like tone to it. Very well rounded and big. This was definatly a good one.

M – Exceptionally smooth would be the best way to describe this one. It had a great carbonation about it, and it really gave it a very full feel. Thick, almost bringing it into the syrup like category, but stopped well short but copious carbonation that just let it roll on through. Definatly not watered down, as the flavor profile here really does pack quite a punch to it and almost gets a bit overwhelming for something that should be sessionable.

D – Great, low ABV, and great flavor always make for a good combination. This is one of those rare ones that really misleads you in the other direction. It tastes much bigger then it actually is. You would think something with this much flavor and pronounced body would be much much stronger then it actually is. Definatly a good game brew, but I don’t really know how many I would go with in a sitting just do to the huge profile on this. Could get to be a little much, but still an awesome one, that a couple would be easy to do.

Overall very very impressed here. The string of good things from a can continues first of all. But being my first taste of Surly, I am very much impressed. This seems like a definite winner to me and something I would like to have a steady supply of. I would love to see this around locally as it would quickly become a staple of the house. Overall great, really great and it will make me seek out others from them. Just what I was looking for at the time.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

1 pint can poured into a seidel stein.

Appearance- Medium copper color, pretty hazy, nice 2 finger head, very frothy. Lacing godd, but not persistent.

Smell- Pine, hops, super hop-forward.

Taste- Big time hops at the front, smoothing to a more natural malty taste in the middle, with delicate citrusy notes on the finish, Very smoothe and easy to drink.

Overall- I would drink this again. The smell made me think this would be a difficult beer to drink, but I was wrong. Quite smoothe and drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance is a dark amber color with a one finger head.
Aroma is faint pine and tropical fruit.
Taste is more of the same. Floral, piny, but not in a heavy way.
This is a mild ipa in my opinion.
Nicely balanced with the malt.
Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation and a pleasant linger bitterness.
Solid version of an ipa, just a tad watery for my usual ipa taste.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to skybluewaters for allowing me to try this beer.

A - Poured from the can into a pint glass. Copper in color with some transparency.

S - Citrus and pine aroma.

T - Citrus with a hint of grapefruit. I was expecting this to have a larger hop profile with a 99 IBU rating. Found it surprisingly easy to drink, but was hoping for more of a hop forward beer.

M - Light and not overpowering.

O - I was expecting a hops forward profile similar to the Abrasive, but this is definately more scaled back. The hops hit up front, but the finish is very smooth with the malt characteristics. Overall, a good beer, but I'd prefer Abrasive if I could choose between the two.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a can into a wide goblet.

Pours with a hazy muted brilliant ruby red. Not too brown but definitely not clear or yellow.

First smells during the pour reveal potent hop scents with light fruit flavors. Tasting reveals less of a bitter hop influence and more of the fruit flavor in the profile of the beverage. Beverage continues to drink like a light PA/IPA with an influence on the fruit potential on hops than the bitter. Finishes with light malts and almost no bite.

Surly, I'm not sure how you do it but it seems like simple beers done really well. Nothing too strong just a solid all around beer.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A bit too malty for me, but still a very nice IPA. Very balanced with minimal bitterness and focuses on the flavor and aroma of the wonderful hop profile. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a very pretty somewhat dark orange/red with a thick foamy 1 inch head. Smells of intense fresh citrusy hops dominate the nose. First sip is all hop bitterness that is matched by a just strong enough malt backbone providing an excellent mouthfeel. Very hearty, very clean, very robust. Nice.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

I can't recall who sent this my way, but thanks. Poured from a 16 ounce can into my nonic pint glass. Appears an amber/copper color with a healthy two fingers of fluffy, sticky ecru tinted foam. Lacing forms on the inside of the glass with each sip. Smells of grassy, piney hops, grapefruit, lemon and orange. Tastes of bitter grapefruit, orange, pineapple, pine needles and sweet caramel malt. Medium in both body and carbonation. Finish is pleasantly bitter. A solid IPA, check it out if you have not yet done so.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

on tap at Sheffield's in Chicago. pours a fiery amber color with a solid finger of tight, light tan head that leaves solid lacings and has great retention.

aroma is of distant spiced and piney hops with a base of bready malt and distant caramel. pleasant in the nose.

taste is more of the same with a rich character of dry and spiced hops that give way to a piney aftertaste. solid on the palate with a fresh character. the base comes out after a bit of warming as caramel and some distant amber-like notes.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a dry texture and a bitter finish. solid.

drinkability is great. well proportioned and solid through and through. no complaints about this one. cheers!

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to paulv for pint can! Haven't had this one in a long time.

Poured into a pint glass. Clear burnt caramel body with a huge sticky off-white head. Lacing on the glass. Looks great.

Hoppy, malty, and plenty of pine. Sweet with some grassiness. The pine-laden hops are the main players in the aroma. Hint of tin/metallic, but it seems to fade after awhile. Quite good for a regular IPA.

Tate is hoppy, but the most interesting aspect is the Scottish malt. Lots of cramel and bit of burnt Cheerio malt. Fairly balanced between the malts and hops, but there is still some lingering bitterness. Hint of lemon and grapefruit, but not a lot of citrus in this brew.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. I feel like the bubbles could be upped a little bit, however the body is great. Quite substantial for a regular IPA.

Drinkability is good. This is a tasty, well crafted IPA. It would be nice to see a little bigger hop profile, but I'm guessing that's where the Abrasive Ale steps in. I really like the caramel-toffee malt profile, which sets this beer apart from the typical American IPA. Definitely worth picking one of these up if you can. Would love to get some of this fresh from the tap.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Big thanks to umustdrink for this one.

16 oz. can poured into a nonic.

Pours a wonderful somewhat murky amber hue with a full two fingered light khaki colored head that slooowly dies down to a nice lacing that lasts forever. Stickiness is out of control. Smell is a dirty pine dominated aroma with a good scent of grapefruit on the nose. Taste is very mellow, but so good. More citrus is on the tongue than had expected from the scent. Starts off with grapefruit and lemon blended with some mild toffee malt flavors that come out towards the end. Very balanced. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a good amount of carbonation, perfect mix of the two for the American IPA style. Very crisp and clean going down. Gotta love beer in a can, take this baby anywhere bottles aren't allowed, you'll be happy you did.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

16oz tall boy full of delicious IPA. Sweet. Appearance is on the darker side for an IPA. Deep orange amber color. Good head, lacing. Aroma is mighty strong, loaded with piney and grapefruit and a caramely malt. Hoppy flavor, yes. But not quite as sharp as I was hoping from the strong aroma. Nicely balanced however with a ton of malt. Full bodied. Very sturdy - I just wish a little more of the piney and grapefruit hinted at in the aroma powered through the dense malt. Anyhow - a solid beer, of course.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company