Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Ratings: 5,508 |  Reviews: 1,526

I had this beer in a bar and given my scores compared to everyone elses, I must have had something else?....but I double checked and the waitress insured me it was Furious.

This beer had the appearance of "mudwater", I half expected to see a carp in the glass. I see now why it is packaged in a can.

I love a very hoppy beer and generally put 8-10oz of Centennial in my 5 gallon batches of American Ale. Sure, this beer was heavily hopped, but the hops did not complement one another nor did it complement the beer.

The malt in the beer seemed weak/watered down, there was very little "mouth feel" for a beer with such a high ether content.

The taste and smell was like old gym socks as a result of an improper yeast/hop/malt combination....or there was contamination in the brewing cycle.

I've brewed since the mid 80's and sure I have made some creative disasters myself. In my life I have refused to drink 2 commercial beers, one was a Miller someone bought me and the other was this Surley Furious. Want a good hoppy beer, try a bells Two Hearted Ale, or better yet, make your own :-)

1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

1.41/5  rDev -67.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Extremely overrated and overhyped. Canned on 5/19.

Dark amber in appearance with light toasted malts aroma. Hops are not complex here, nor its fruity. No citrus, light caramelized pine. This is an extremely malt-forward ipa with lots of bittering hops. Long lingering bitterness. This is definitely an extreme ipa with a 100 ibu that targets the fans of bigger is the better. This is not a balanced beer. Drink two hearted instead.

1.5/5  rDev -65.1%

1.53/5  rDev -64.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.68/5  rDev -60.9%

1.74/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Tastes like a spicy ipa that just doesn't blend well

1.75/5  rDev -59.3%

1.84/5  rDev -57.2%

2.02/5  rDev -53%

2.12/5  rDev -50.7%

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.29/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Trendy hipster palette killer for the immature.

2.3/5  rDev -46.5%

I am shocked at what is rated a 96 on beeradvocate.com. Fcking shocked. I am a Minnesotan through and through and was all excited to try a Surly beer and holy crap was I disappointed. I am not going to mention what glass I poured it in, what color I thought it was, and I am not going to mention what it smelled like. I popped the canned top and prepared my self for uber goodness. What I got was uber sadness. Oh, it was drinkable, but I polished off beers half the price with 4x the flavor before trying Furious. WTF. I am embarrased for the state of MN with this particular beer. I SOUGHT after Surly beer because of its scores. I am pissed that I bought a sh*tty beer. Maybe my palate isn't refined. I know I am not among the beer tasting elite, but good god was this a bad buy.

2.36/5  rDev -45.1%

2.48/5  rDev -42.3%

2.49/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Furious has one of the most succinctly accurate label descriptions ever.

Amber red hue that's just a touch lighter than Killian's Irish Red, with a moderate, spotty beige head that dies down to nothing after a short time.

Lots of toffee aromas come off first, quickly taken over by something metallic, then something grassy or green in the background.

There are certainly caramel undertones, but this is far more bitter than I usually prefer, with those fiery hops being very present, as warned.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company