Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,519 | Ratings: 5,472
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I've had this brew many times but never got around to reviewing it (and by many I probably mean like 3-4 times). As I was clearing out the notes on my phone I found this one from Darkness Day '09. Dry hopped with Simcoe. Drank from a fancy smancy plastic cup.

Appearance- Pours a light reddish orange with a beautifully fluffy one finger bright white head with redonkulous staying power. About a half inch head is maintained the entire beer with rings and rings of thick lacing left in my king's chalice.
Smell- Fairly subdued, especially compared to the normal version but damned nice. Some light fruits consisting of pineapple and peach permeate my plastic vessel. I'd even dare say that the nose is almost more floral than it is fruity. Has a nice lilac or rose scent that's nice but nothing manly. Not sure why but the tea-bagged version is so much smoother around than edges than regular, but it is.
Taste- Again, a bit softer around the edges. Still plenty fruity and plenty bitter with that piney edge I love. Some grapefruit pith as the bitterness is initial but sort of melds into this wonderfully piney goodness. One thing I love about Furious is that a little malt is actually noticeable (unlike most west coast gems) with a touch of caramel and toast. Again, tastes a lot like the regular, just toned down. Nothing that discernibly tastes like tea though.
Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy with a nice full feel and silky smooth cask carbonation.
Drinkability- No way you could call this beer anything but super drinkable. Anything on cask is amazing first of all, but just the fact that it's a rounded Furious is enough to know it's great. I'm not real sure how much the dry hopped Simcoe added but either way; badass brew!

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer leaves some nice lacing behind and is a burnt orange amber color. The powerful hop smell almost knocks you off your feet. Great tropical notes and quite smooth and easy to drink. Carbonation is appropirate. This is probably my favorite IPA right now.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank on 5-5-14 from a can that was canned on 3-24-14. I live on the East coast so i am assuming this to be about as fresh as I am going to get. Not that it seemed stale..

A-Pours a beautiful dark amber/caramel. slight sediment at the bottom of the can. one finger head of a bright white tight foam. swishing it around a little the lacing clings all over the glass.

S- Scent is interesting. I am getting a lot of pine hop scents but the blend right into a sweet caramely maltiness, it is foreshadowing here. its sweet and a bit floral. really invites you in.

T- tastes amazing. the hops jump right at you, its all 99 of those IBU's and its very piney, ther are some light citric notes in there but mostly nice earthy big hops. Lots of hops resins coat your mouth, then this beer gets very dynamic. It blends into this carmalized maltiness that takes you a bit by surprise(if you dont read the back of the can before jumping in, and i did not). the sweet maltyness pairs up beautifuly with that tart hop resin that just blasted you into hop bliss. bang you want more and more.

M. tart slightly dry, and heavy malt. again the way this beer goes from hoppiness to maltiness is amazing.

O overall this beer is really really awesome, I want to go out and get all the Surly i can and see what these guys are made of. Fabulous beer.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass. Thanks to natasharai for this one, unfortunately my last can of Surly from our trade!

Appearance is a hazy red-orange color with a one inch frothy looking off-white head. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. All Surly beers from the can seem to have the same frothy looking head, I wonder if it's something to do with the cans.

Aroma is exploding with juicy tropical fruits like mango and pineapple, tons of grapefruity citrus and even a soft and sweet caramel malt backing.

Taste has that caramel sweetness up front that is joined by tropical fruit at the start then it blends with some bitter grapefruity citrus hops. A bit of a biscuity malt quality shows up in here somewhere and lasts until the linger. The finish brings a bit more of the hops' piney qualities out. Overall, this one is very balanced though.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a very creamy consistency to it. Basically what I would consider perfect carbonation for this style.

I don't know what I was thinking when I had this one on-tap last July. They must have poured me the wrong beer or something. This is one of the best IPAs out there, and even as I am somewhat burned out on IPAs, this one is a keeper no matter what.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

I've had Furious in just about every possible way, but this is based on my experiences having tank Furious at Darkness Day 2010.

Appearance:
Coppery and orange, a little bit hazier than from the can. Not much head to speak of, but kind of a thin white film sitting on top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy and very slightly sweet, and an earthiness from the hops. Highly aromatic and well-defined. However it's served, you can recognize the smell of a Furious.

Taste:
The citrus strikes again, with an amazing burst of slightly sweet malt. Not as sweet as the smell, but it doesn't need to be. The taste is extremely well balanced, as if this was surgically crafted. The hoppy finish is a beautiful end note.

Mouthfeel:
Fuller than from the can (which has more of a medium body), and nicely crisp. It leaves me feeling like I've just eaten an apricot.

Drinkability:
Extremely high. The taste leaves you wanting more, and if you're in MN, there's always more to be had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent beer. I have really become attached to it. I received two 4 packs in a recent trade and only have 1 can left. It's deliciously hoppy but not too piney. Color is wonderful, taste even better. I would say that I like it it much better than Abrasive as it is much smoother to my palate.

Light amber colored with great lacing and head, I could drink this every day if I lived near a place that sold Surly.

Smells great, citrusy and hoppy but not overly so.

The taste is sublime, really delicious.

M- Above average for the style.

O/D- Oh yeah, I could keep these coming all day long. Due to the rarity I have had to make my two 4 packs last a little over a month. If you can get some you definitely owe it to yourself to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This brew pours a nice dark gold with a nice white, rocky head.

Smell: Wonderful hints of grapefruit, pine and pineapple.

Taste: Just like in the aroma I was hit with a blast of citrus(pineapple and grapefruit) and pine. Nice hints of caramel and toffee from the malts make for an incredibly well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation

Drinkability: Incredible IPA. AND in a can. Damn I wish we could get this beer in Louisiana! I need more!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

100th review milestone, finally feeling the urge to review more beers that I drink, but this beer is certainly a beer that my palate frequently visits, my friend Furious.

A: Dark rusty amber and orange with an initial 4 cm head that fades to a nice layer on from of it's murky body. This beer doesn't put down lace like a Victoria Secret catalogue, but the semi-opaque is rather impressive.

S: Ferocious hop profile mixed with the caramel-toffee malts. The hops bring forth a prevalent citrus profile that is primarily white grapefruit peel, but is mixed with other tropical fruits.

T: Perhaps my favorite session beer? My tongue has quickly adapted to the taste of Furious. This beer has everything in the nose, caramel-toffee malts with a big spectrum of citrus/tropical fruits. I love everything about this beer, very distinct and very delicious.

M: Medium, maybe even big bodied, rather creamy.

D: I can't believe how easy it is to drink on of these @ around 100 IBUs. I can't help but take advantage of any tap offering of this in the city when I am out. This beer is has to be one of the biggest reasons to the craft-beer explosion in Minnesota and for good reason. Sign me up for the Surly Whore newsletter.

Poured from can into Russian River tulip

A - Pours a nice amber brown with tons of carbonation. Great foaming head that lasts almost the entire time of consumption.

S - Smells like cascade hops, nice resinous and piney smell. Very floral with some alcohol sweetness.

T - Great resinous citrus flavor. Big pine and subtle toffee notes. Herbal, spicy, woody.

M - Nice malty sweetness up front with a dry bitter finish.

O - Not as bitter as the 99 IBU led me to believe but, this is an excellent I.P.A. and the first beer that I have had from Surly. Great beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass from a 16oz metal can. Nice markings on the can to include "99 IBUs". Should be interesting. Popping the can doesn't release any noteworthy carbonation sounds. The pout produces a mild one finger head. The resolution is nice, with good lacing on the sides of the glass (left enough headroom on the pour). Color is a clear orange-amber with ample carbonation feeding the remaining head.

Smell - A fruit cup. No really, not grapefruit, not piney resin, a fruit cup. Some caramel as well but a refreshing nose to draw you into the depths of this offering.

Taste - First the hops, have to make mention of the obvious. Yes, they are present here in ample quantities, but the "force" behind them is well-balanced with a very present malty backbone. There is depth to this hop presence, more so than I've tasted in many DIPAs which seem to be more focused on "quantity". Yes, this is an IPA, a very tasty IPA. The expected finishing hop bite was very blunted (which is very much welcomed to this malt lover). Enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - The body is very dense for this offering. Lots to chew on here. There is a creaminess here that is outstanding. Nice "layering" on the tongue while at the same time a tongue-cleansing finish.

Drinkability - Perhaps my can had some age on it, or I've been trying to expand into DIPAs recently that I very much enjoyed this IPA. Top 10 IPA? Yes, well-ranked from my limited experience/perspective. I liked it better than Sculpin. I need more of this.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance- Beautiful caramel color that is what I expect whenever I try an IPA.

Aroma- Simply put, Amazing! When you pop one of these cans the room fills with a wonderful smell that makes everyone within a 50 foot vicinity float immediately in your direction. So much fresh pine and citrus come off this beer that you feel transported to an evergreen forest populated by sliced grapefruits!

Taste- Nice and hoppy! The hops come through on the nose, taste, and aftertaste. They don't overpower the beer the way some IPAs and DIPAs do, but they are very present and make this a beer to dream about. A nice clean bitterness is all that remains behind after a can of Furious.

Mouthfeel- Simple, light, just a touch thinner than I would like if I am being picky.

Drinkability- If I didn't have to drive 7 hours or trade to get this beer regularly I would drink a 4-pack on the daily! As it is it is hard to stop at 2.

This is my favorite IPA, period. Don't take my low review count into account here since I have only recently given in to the temptation of reviewing and have tried almost all of the top rated IPAs on this site.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've received this many times from biglobo8971 and every time I get it I am grateful. This beer has turned into one of my favorites, and now I am finally sitting down to review it.

A - This beer looks more like an English Pale than an IPA. Copper hue that is almost a reddish brown.

S - This beer has some powerful hops coming off the nose. Citrusy with hints of grapefruit.

T - The taste on this beer is fantastic. It has a great malty backbone followed up with lots of bitter hops. It has a nice sweetness with lots of bitterness. Its not overly sweet though.

M- This thing has a very large mouthfeel. It has the body of something in the 8-9% range but is only a 6.2%. Not slippery or thin at all.

O-If this was available to me year around I would probably buy a 4 pack a week. This beer is definitely one of the reasons I started trading. It is a great IPA with a great malt backbone to help off set all the west coast style IPAs on the market. If you are ever in the surly distro area pick up this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired this from Beerbeagle courtesy of Nobody Wants to See a Beer Geek Naked 2 so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beers pours a an amazing rusty amber color with a one finger of off white creamy head. Head recedes moderately leacvng thick sheets of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of amazing hops. Floral hops really flow insanely with this beer. Fantastic array of floral hops, hints of pine, and the slightest hint of malt going on here.

T: Taste is amazingly floral hops. It falls in line with the nose. Massive doses of floral hops that are present throughout the entire beer. Some mild malts come through and the finish is a fantastic pine and floral mixture.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation , rich feeling with an oily body and finish.

D: Oh mother of all things IPA! This is a fantastically blended beer. Just enough hop burst to entice a hop head but not overpowering to the point where it is nothing but hops. This is the third beer from Surly that I've had and I have to say - A+ brewery!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type- 16 ounce can poured into a flute glass. Recieved this in a trade from mnjeff.

A- Pours an amber/orange color. There is some carbonation activity present after the pour. A small white head that disipates rather quickly. There is a fair amount of cling to the glass throughout the beer.

S- There is a huge citrus presennce in the nose right off the bat. There is also a grapefruit hint in there as well. The hop presence is also big, it seems to back the citrus notes making them a little bit of an alcohol note as well.

T- The hoppy bitterness starts off the taste that follows you throughout. You also get the citrus flavor that helps mellow out the hop flavor a tad.

I recieved this beer in a trade with Jeff. I originally had this on tap in Chicago and desperatley wanted to have this again. Unfortunately the can version is not as sharp as from the tap but it is still very good. How I wish this was available to me on a regular basi because this would certainly be in my regular rotation. This is a very good IPA and one of the best that I have had so far.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can pours a hazy dark amber/red color with a thick off white head. Has a sweet caramel pine smell. It blends together nicely. Has a medium mouthfeel. Tastes like sweet caramel candy, pine, and has a nice sticky hop aftertaste. Overall I really like this beer and would have it on hand for trips all the time because of the can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appropriately reviewing this one because I am Furious about going back to school tomorrow...

A: A rich cherry brown with a bright white/tan head with bubbles that linger on and on...

S: Citrus and floral! Hops that emit quite the grapefruit aroma. Sweet and powerful--sends shock waves through the nostrils. Gooey caramel and warm sugar. The main base is formed from the intense hops and grapefruit.

T: Different than I remember... grapefruit is strong and punches your taste buds with its intensity. Mouth-watering and tasty. Very sweet and sugary, but the bitterness tones this down nicely. As it warms the familiar feelings of mouth-puckering and eye-watering power come flooding back. I'm not disappointed. Awesome freshly picked grapefruit, with citrus and pine.

M: Like a lightning bolt of flavor. The bitterness practically turns my mouth inside out, but in a completely amazing way. Carbonation is strong, like the rest of this beer. Not one aspect of this creation comes at you with less than 110%.

D: Extremely delicious and enjoyable, however the intensity makes for an interesting experience. In smaller quantities, this one is awesome- but more than that... I'm not too sure my stomach or mouth could handle it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color, almost ruby with a huge light tan head sitting on top. Great retention and some nice lacing.

Nice hoppy aroma. Some sweet citrus and caramel.

Very nice taste. A nice bitter hoppiness showing some pine notes with some citrus. A tea like finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is high. Good flavors, bitterness not overwhelming, and low alcohol make for easy and pleasureable consumption.

16oz can

Furious was amber in color and a little hazy. It had a thick beige head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is loaded citric hops with a hint of malt in the background. The taste is citric hops upfront, bitter, with a little malt coming through. The finish was long, dry and fairly bitter. It had a medium-full body with good carbonation. Drinkability was excellent. This was one of the best IPA's I've had. If you're into hoppy beers, this is a must try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a giant mug. Thanks, br3wmeister!

Pours a brilliant red-orange with a four fingers of rich foam. The head on this looks like one that would sit on top of a root beer float. Tons of lacing all over the inside of the glass.

Rich pine aroma. The citrus is definitely there, but it takes a back seat to the pine in the nose. Noticeable caramel malt backbone reminds me that this isn't a DIPA.

Taste is just as hoppy as the aroma. Actually, it might be hoppier, because the citrus explodes in your mouth. I don't care how that sounds, either. The malts are fighting an uphill battle, but they do a pretty damn good job. Behind all of the delicious hop flavor is a very sturdy malt backbone. I really love citrus in my IPA's, and there's plenty here. The pine controls the aftertaste, and there's a very nice lingering bitterness. This is hoppier than most DIPA's I've tasted. Wow.

Body is on the heavier side of medium. Really rich and creamy, especially for an IPA. Super smooth drinker. This is one amazing IPA. If you haven't had it, I'd suggest trying one immediately.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can not ever go wrong with this one, have had it in can and on tap at pubs and even the brewery and it is always one thing... AMAZING!

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper color, about a finger of head with some decent lacing

S - Hoppy citrus with some earthy tones

T - Strong IPA bitterness from the get go but it is not too overpowering and finished rather sweet. Great balance of all the flavors.

M - Great carbonation and great balance make this beer go down way too fast.

O - Great IPA and by far one of my favorite beers. Great fresh at the brewery or out of a can.

Serving type: This time on tap but also out of a can... It's all good!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can brought back from Minnesota by my dear friend Kathy. Pours a dark amber with a one finger white head. Interesting melange of hop aromas, some flowers, some grapefruit and a nice pine bite at the end. Hefty orange flavor with some lemon, grapefruit and pineapple behind it and a pine snap in the finish. The flavors linger for ages after the can is gone, which is good since I ran out of the stuff!

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - copper amber, white head dies down to a thick film of bubbes w nice lacing

S - even served cold u can smell it a mile away, grapefruit, pine, pineapple, citrus zest

T - grapefruit, citrus zest, pine, pineapple, hops all around

M - medium - hops in your face , alc covered, bitter aftertaste all its own

O - def up there. Pliny and hopslam would be on an equal level, it lives up to its rep

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours out a darkish orange in color with a small whitish head that seems to have a slight tinge of brown. There's no doubt the nose is piny with some fruity grapefruit/tiny bit or orange with no resin or anything like that. Taste is slightly malty with a little bit of the piny hop flavor to balance things out. Really well balanced. Mouthfeel is fairly thick for the style which is a nice surprise as I haven't really thought critically about this beet for some time. Overall I really understand why this beer is so well respected. It's just a great beer.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Wonderful nose, fantastic flavor. I don't worry to much on the mouth feel when it comes to an IPA. But overall one of the better IPA's out there. There is yet to be a Surly beer out there that I think is bad. I don't even really care for Lager and there lager is good. If you see Surly buy it.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A: A medium amber color with a thick white head

S: Hoppy, with a strong pine smell and some citrus

T: Piney, bitter, but not too bitter. A bit of malt.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with good carbonation. Very drinkable.

O: Fantastic. A really great IPA.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company