Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,503 | Ratings: 5,397
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appropriately reviewing this one because I am Furious about going back to school tomorrow...

A: A rich cherry brown with a bright white/tan head with bubbles that linger on and on...

S: Citrus and floral! Hops that emit quite the grapefruit aroma. Sweet and powerful--sends shock waves through the nostrils. Gooey caramel and warm sugar. The main base is formed from the intense hops and grapefruit.

T: Different than I remember... grapefruit is strong and punches your taste buds with its intensity. Mouth-watering and tasty. Very sweet and sugary, but the bitterness tones this down nicely. As it warms the familiar feelings of mouth-puckering and eye-watering power come flooding back. I'm not disappointed. Awesome freshly picked grapefruit, with citrus and pine.

M: Like a lightning bolt of flavor. The bitterness practically turns my mouth inside out, but in a completely amazing way. Carbonation is strong, like the rest of this beer. Not one aspect of this creation comes at you with less than 110%.

D: Extremely delicious and enjoyable, however the intensity makes for an interesting experience. In smaller quantities, this one is awesome- but more than that... I'm not too sure my stomach or mouth could handle it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color, almost ruby with a huge light tan head sitting on top. Great retention and some nice lacing.

Nice hoppy aroma. Some sweet citrus and caramel.

Very nice taste. A nice bitter hoppiness showing some pine notes with some citrus. A tea like finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is high. Good flavors, bitterness not overwhelming, and low alcohol make for easy and pleasureable consumption.

16oz can

Furious was amber in color and a little hazy. It had a thick beige head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is loaded citric hops with a hint of malt in the background. The taste is citric hops upfront, bitter, with a little malt coming through. The finish was long, dry and fairly bitter. It had a medium-full body with good carbonation. Drinkability was excellent. This was one of the best IPA's I've had. If you're into hoppy beers, this is a must try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a giant mug. Thanks, br3wmeister!

Pours a brilliant red-orange with a four fingers of rich foam. The head on this looks like one that would sit on top of a root beer float. Tons of lacing all over the inside of the glass.

Rich pine aroma. The citrus is definitely there, but it takes a back seat to the pine in the nose. Noticeable caramel malt backbone reminds me that this isn't a DIPA.

Taste is just as hoppy as the aroma. Actually, it might be hoppier, because the citrus explodes in your mouth. I don't care how that sounds, either. The malts are fighting an uphill battle, but they do a pretty damn good job. Behind all of the delicious hop flavor is a very sturdy malt backbone. I really love citrus in my IPA's, and there's plenty here. The pine controls the aftertaste, and there's a very nice lingering bitterness. This is hoppier than most DIPA's I've tasted. Wow.

Body is on the heavier side of medium. Really rich and creamy, especially for an IPA. Super smooth drinker. This is one amazing IPA. If you haven't had it, I'd suggest trying one immediately.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can not ever go wrong with this one, have had it in can and on tap at pubs and even the brewery and it is always one thing... AMAZING!

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper color, about a finger of head with some decent lacing

S - Hoppy citrus with some earthy tones

T - Strong IPA bitterness from the get go but it is not too overpowering and finished rather sweet. Great balance of all the flavors.

M - Great carbonation and great balance make this beer go down way too fast.

O - Great IPA and by far one of my favorite beers. Great fresh at the brewery or out of a can.

Serving type: This time on tap but also out of a can... It's all good!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can brought back from Minnesota by my dear friend Kathy. Pours a dark amber with a one finger white head. Interesting melange of hop aromas, some flowers, some grapefruit and a nice pine bite at the end. Hefty orange flavor with some lemon, grapefruit and pineapple behind it and a pine snap in the finish. The flavors linger for ages after the can is gone, which is good since I ran out of the stuff!

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - copper amber, white head dies down to a thick film of bubbes w nice lacing

S - even served cold u can smell it a mile away, grapefruit, pine, pineapple, citrus zest

T - grapefruit, citrus zest, pine, pineapple, hops all around

M - medium - hops in your face , alc covered, bitter aftertaste all its own

O - def up there. Pliny and hopslam would be on an equal level, it lives up to its rep

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours out a darkish orange in color with a small whitish head that seems to have a slight tinge of brown. There's no doubt the nose is piny with some fruity grapefruit/tiny bit or orange with no resin or anything like that. Taste is slightly malty with a little bit of the piny hop flavor to balance things out. Really well balanced. Mouthfeel is fairly thick for the style which is a nice surprise as I haven't really thought critically about this beet for some time. Overall I really understand why this beer is so well respected. It's just a great beer.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Wonderful nose, fantastic flavor. I don't worry to much on the mouth feel when it comes to an IPA. But overall one of the better IPA's out there. There is yet to be a Surly beer out there that I think is bad. I don't even really care for Lager and there lager is good. If you see Surly buy it.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A: A medium amber color with a thick white head

S: Hoppy, with a strong pine smell and some citrus

T: Piney, bitter, but not too bitter. A bit of malt.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with good carbonation. Very drinkable.

O: Fantastic. A really great IPA.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can Surly kick it? Yes he can!!!! Raul is almost doggone floored by the near utter perfection of this beautiful beast. The hops, the malt... like J-Lo and Marc Antony's marriage before pre-thang thang.

I mean, Raul could do this. He could do this well all night long.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from can into imperial pint glass.
A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with nice thick creamy white head.
S: Aroma is dead-on fresh passion fruit...craziness. Hint of hops, but nothing compared to the taste.
T: Holy hops, Batman! The hops hit hard first...citrus hops. Then a definite pine note comes through...amazing. Intermingling are caramel, starfruit, and just a hint of toffee which comes through after a few quaffs calms the hop note down.
M: Very complex and wonderful feel on the tongue.
D: Extraordinarily hoppy. For you hop-heads out there, this is the beer for you. Personally, I like a little less hops, so the drinkability for my taste takes a little hit here. Overall, an amazing beer...very complex in nature.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Big thanks to JeffKrenner for hooking me up with some Surly.

a - pours a deep copper color, two-finger white head with great retention and lacing, slightly hazy

s - awesome smell, big grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit, also big piney hoppiness, an ode to hops

t - wow, big citrus and tropical fruit flavors up front, nice piney hops as well, body and finish is quite bitter with a hint of sweetness, no hint of alcohol, absolutely divine!

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, coats the mouth very well with hop oil, pretty dry finish

d - pretty drinkable, though the dry finish and the bitterness might destroy the palate after a few

Wow, an amazing brew no doubt. Instantly becomes one of my all-time favorites. I wish I had some Masala Mama to taste side-by-side with this, because oddly, this reminds me a lot of the Mama (though I haven't had it since August). I love the fact that this is in a can, too. Can't wait to get my hands on some more Surly.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in trade from feloniusmonk. This one has been lurking in the fridge for over a week. It's funny how I have been conditioned to keep canned beer cold....sat at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Luscious murky dark red. Very nice moderate head. Good carbonation. Superb lacing.

S - Outstanding. This beer is very reminiscent of a couple of DIPA's I've imbibed in of late. HopSlam and Hop Whore come to mind immediately. Piney hops, unripe grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce....

T - Assault team hops. Again, very strong grapefruit. Drinks so much like a DIPA, I had to check the ABV again. Wonderful bitter aftertaste, deliscious hoppy burps.

M - Surprisingly full bodied and creamy (low ABV at work?). Very broad across the palate, very nice going down.

D - This may be the best part for me. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but this beer drinks like a DIPA. A damn fine, rough & tumble DIPA...the fact that the ABV is fairly low is a wonderful bonus. This is a beer I could drink all day. Say, a Sunday full of football. Or a poker night. If I could get my hands on a case....paging Minneapolis BA's, come in please!!!

Thanks Al, for turning me on to yet another great beer.

Cheers

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass to smell the sweet hop aroma! (Thanks to Todd for the hookup!)

Nice golden color with a thick head--moderate carbonation.

Typical IPA smell but maybe a little lit for the style.

Taste was magnificent. A very easy to drink ale.

Mouthfeel was right on. Had a very prickly amount of carbonation. I was surprised at how long the head was retained. Nice malt flavor down the back of the throat.

A solid IPA. I have been eagerly anticipating drinking this offering from Surly as it is a legendary IPA craved by most of the country. Glad I live within driving distance. I was not disappointed. Surly delivered on my expectation and I will gladly enjoy again.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Pours a beautiful dark amber body with a two finger head. Head retention is marvelous.

S- Amazing! Sweet hops and a hint of pine needles. Smells much like a citrus fruit of some sort.

T- Great! Really hoppy, smooth, and tastes much like citrus and pine. The piney, hoppy part is not overbearing because of the citrus flavor.

M- Pretty smooth. Good IPA feel with the carbonation.

D- Between the ABV and the hoppiness, you could probably only drink one at a time.

Came in a 16oz can.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the can to the glass (as suggested on the can) this brew has a great burnt orange color with a foamy (almost airy) head that leaves thin sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma fills my nose with wonderful citrus, bold floral hops, fresh pine, and a mild roasted toffee smell. I cannot wait to take my first sip...

I was not disappointed. The taste is fresh and sweet upfront with orange, clove, and even some pine nut. Then it swells into thick citrus and hops. Mild bitterness in the finish and dries the palette to make you want to take another sip.

I was given this brew from CDKrenz and was told that I needed to enjoy this alone in a empty quiet room...now I know why!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Sigh. This is what an IPA should be. Period. This and Dreadnaught. The others are just posers. It's like squeezing the oil out of a bushel of hops and injecting it directly into your veins. My god. Yet the bitterness is juuust barely balanced with some thick malty sweetness. It's not one dimensional like Ruination. I like Ruination, but i like the subtle balance of Furious better.

I'm a little worried about this beer with the impending hop shortage i've heard so much about lately. The amount of hops that go into this beer must be off the charts. If they can still get all the hops they need for this a few months from now, surely the price will go up noticeably.

Man. Fantastic stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Had on tap at Grumpy Bulldog in Naperville. I am told this is a rare treasure to have on tap. Additionally, I understand the last barrel lasted only 2 days in such a small bar. When drawn it looked like a nice cool iced tea with a thick beer head on top. It has quite a bit of pin hops smell. There are some smaller citrus undertones. However, what makes this beer great is the hops. The taste is big and bold. Wow...a guy can really get into trouble with this beer. It drinks remarkably smooth and has a wonderful. This beer barries the typical Dogfish head 60 minute that is often on tap at several craft brew pubs/taverns.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Big props to Pitmonkey for the chance to drink this one. To begin with I've have heard ghost stories about the bitterness of this beer so I was expecting alot. And boy was I not dissappointed! It pours a beautiful deeply hazed brown/orange topped with a nice little fluffy head. The nose.. well the nose is intense. It smells very big. Like a handfull of Warrior pellet hops. Big and acidic and maybe some amonia too. The taste is way off balanced and I'm not complaining at all. I think there might be a touch of carmel malts, maybe. Who cares let me enjoy my hops. As the beer warms the nose matures more refined spicy piney hops. This beer is so good I would inject this beer into my veins and walk around all day with a drip but I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much. The Mecca for hopheads.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance is amber-orange with a one finger white head. It has a great oily body with medium lacing. I give it a 4 because of the hazy nature of the brew as well as the head leaving quit fast.

The smell is great, a fruity citrus hop aroma just fills your nostrils. You can also tell there is a bitter hop characteristic in this. A little alcoholic sting is present in the end as well.

The taste is fruity citrus hop goodness. What is great about this beer is that the fruity sweetness is paired with hop bitterness perfectly. The fruit sweetness is great in the beginning and in the end, bitterness on the palate just in the middle.

The mouthfeel consists of perfect carbonation with perfect hop bitterness. The oily coating that leaves your mouth smacking for more is great.

The drinkability is summed up by what I said after finishing this brew, "I want more!"

Great great great beer. Love it!

J

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I had a Surly Abrasive Ale preceding this one, and this still knocked my socks off - What a beer.

A - Pours a hazy, almost crimson amber with a beautiful chunky head.

S - Sweet malty scent, light hops and great caramel notes.

T - Great balance of Scottish malts and hops, caramel comes through, almost a burnt toffee. Something smokey almost.

M - Medium body, great smoothness.

O - So drinkable, I wanted another before I finished my first. This would definitely be a daily drinker if I could get it that easily.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks goes out to Bamadog for hooking me up with this months ago for a tasting

A - orange color with a white head that doesn't hang around long.

S - Citrus just lashes out at you from even a foot away from the glass. Wow. Hoppy, fruity, and just amazing to smell.

T - This may be the greatest IPA on the face of the earth. The taste is amazing. Just fantastic hops coming through and the malt flavor really peaks kjust at the right time. Wow.

M - Very intense and a bit towards the heavier carbonation. Not a bad thing. Just a bit more than expected

D - If I can get several cases of this, I'd be a happy man. Wow. I'm furious I can't get this close to home!

4.73/5  rDev +10%

Can into my 21st Amendment tulip.
Shocked to see I hadn't reviewed this beer yet. About time before I run out of my stash from my recent roadtrip.
Beautiful pour. Nice head. Dark copper appearance.
Aroma and taste measure up to any standard. Fresh hop like presence. A fantastic representation of the style that would make it anywhere.
Too bad they are not more widely distributed.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

16 oz can provided by Mistofminn. Thanks Brad!!! Served in a Nonic Pint Glass.

A: Beautiful finger and 1/2 of marshmallow fluff. Stays around for quite some time. Pours a beautiful amber that's not quite opaque, but a little cloudy. Lots of active carbonation. Lacing is thick and adheres to the side of the glass. Very, very nice for a IPA.

S: Sweet citrusy hop notes. Pineapple, mango, orange, etc... Malts provide a little bit of sweetness.

T: The hops are a great mix of citrus and earthy notes. Just like the nose, there's some of the pineapple, but also some resiny pine thrown in. Most impressive is the perfect balance between the hops and the malts. The bitterness from the hops is matched with the sweetness from the malts.

M: Medium bodied. Doesn't get much better than this in an IPA. The carbonation helps negate the underlying stickiness. Rolls over the tongue with a nice prickly smoothness.

D: A sessionable IPA if I've ever seen (or in this case, drank) one. The 6.2 ABV is not at all noticeable. There is very little harsh bitterness, so your palate feels fresh ready for another. My 16oz went far to fast and I wish I had another in the fridge.

Surly is well known around the country for their line of quality brews, and I feel safe in saying Furious is their flagship offering. A fantastic Midwest IPA that will stand up to any competitors for some time. If I had access to this beer, I'd be in my fridge 365 days of the year!

Furious from Surly Brewing Company