Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Reviews: 1,503 | Ratings: 5,412
3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into an IPA glass from a can dated 1/21/14. Appearance is caramel-amber - fairly dark for the style, with a huge custard-colored head that's starting to leave nice tendrils of lace. Tons and tons of bubbles rising up to the top.

I started smelling this one as soon as I popped the can. Aroma is a hop knockout - lots of grapefruit and orange. I could just be imagining this, but I think there's a little bit of onion underneath - I hope that comes through on the flavor!

Very strange flavor. There's a little bit of citrus and some spicy pepperiness on the palate, but it's mostly overwhelmingly bitter, without all that much actual flavor. The finish is tongue-sappingly dry - I feel like I've been licking the prickly part of a pineapple. The citrus comes back a little bit for the aftertaste - there are some hints of tropical fruit. There's also some malt presence on the aftertaste (once the bitterness has subsided a little), adding the tiniest bit of caramelly sweetness. One of the most bitter beers I've ever had - not sure if that's a good thing.

Mouthfeel is nicely thick to back up the overwhelming bitterness - lots of carbonation, too.

Overall, this beer definitely delivers what it promises! I can't help but be a little disappointed that the bitterness overwhelms the nice flavors the aroma promised. Either way, I'm glad I tried it - thanks to Coirm for the can!

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this beer 2 months after the canned date. Seems like a very malt forward beer. I won't spend my review criticizing it because I love this brewery. It's just not for me.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I like Furious a lot and to me the Tea Bagged Furious seemed watered down or less flavorful, or dare I say, even tasted kind of flat. I did, however, enjoy it at the time I had it. After two Pentagrams and a Brown-Eye I needed something less flavorful. It did go down a little more smooth than the normal bite of the Furious. But boy do I love that bite.

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

The deep orange-red color and creamy head probably raised my expectations, and this beer fell a little short of those. This is a pretty good IPA, but just didn't crack my top tier. It's very bitter, and I like bitterness when it's complemented by other hoppy flavor notes, but I didn't get a lot of those -- some grapefruit, maybe a little pine, maybe even a little lemon (?), but mostly just bitterness, over a solid malt backbone. A little bit of a one-trick pony.

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

Received from a nice trade - big thanks to ScoobyDank. I empty my trade bounty, this can of Furious, into an oversized tulip. This is the second can I've tasted.
It exhibits brilliant highlights of copper, mud, rust & amber. The beer seems to glow as if it was emiting its own light. The tight ecru head hangs around for the ride, sticking on for dear life to the glass. In spite of the fact that this is several shades deeper than your garden variety IPA, in fact maybe because it is, it is a truly impressive looking beer. My expectations grow.

Smells like bright, simple sugar candy, backed well by vibrant doses of flowery hops which sharpen and turn bitingly citric, pine like and grassy as it sits a bit.

It is hard for me to tell how long this can has aged, but the hops seem to have A. mellowed, and B. gone all grassy on me. Yes this seems to be veering into the barleywine profile - with a biscuity and burly malt presence dominating up front and in the middle. The grassy & pine hop comes through in the back of my mouth, sticking around in somewhat pleasing pools of bitterness. Upon some further sensory introspection, I am enjoying the wild quality of this hop - very earthy and biting. But it has taken me heavily into the malt dominate brew vibe, and I'm not that impressed.

MF - buttery and full bodied, but it knows when to let go. This be good mouthfeel ya know.
D - too malt forward to really nip at my urge to imbibe many many ounces.

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Flight at MSP. Different for an IPA, some savory spice. Creamy, slick body, nice lacing. Medium golden, some honey, not a lot of hops. Mid west IPA? Did not feel the love that is bestowed on this beer.

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

Look: Copper in color with a 1/4 inch white head and no retention

Smell: Grapefruit and other citrus notes

Taste: Again some nice grapefruit notes with some caramel and toffee in the background

Mouthfeel: Just under medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: A good midwest IPA but good by west coast standards

bottle courtesy of Tytoanderso
Pours a rich maroon color with a huge fluffy beige head that lasts and lasts. Smell is big on hops and a red ale like malt backing. Kind of reminds me of either Bear Republic Red Rocket or Hop Rod Rye. Very fresh smelling. Dark rich caramelly piney hops flavor with a strong hop bitterness that coats the mouth. I really want a touch more malt in this one, and the body is a touch thin. Some medicinal grassy, aspirin like bitterness that will satisfy hopheads, but it was a bit too much or perhaps slightly unbalanced for me. Still can appreciate it as a well done strong IPA. Thanks Tyler!

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

I split a couple of cans of this with Flyer and SurlySober, and I have to agree with the sentiment of Flyer’s review (below); this beer is agressively hopped, very bitter (99 IBUs according to the can), and quite dry. However, there wasn’t a lot else to its flavor (no citrus, pine, grass, flowers, etc - all the other stuff that IPAs taste like). However, it was a very smooth 99 IBUs, if that’s at all possible. Mouthfeel is quite smooth up-front, and the bitterness comes in slowly as the beer sits in your mouth and slides down your throat. I found this beer smooth but not quite to watery. The most drinkable very bitter beer that I’ve yet tried, although I agree that it would have benefited from the addition of some other flavor notes.

The first thing that I noted about this beer was its packaging. The color and images of the can made me think that a lot of people must accidentally purchase this thinking it is some kind of energy drink; or perhaps a caffeinated drink like Sparks. Appearance of the beer itself is a clear-but-not-brilliant copper with lots of white head. Smell is highly hoppy. Flavor is as I described above. Mouthfeel is smooth and highly drinkable, almost to the point of being watery, but far enough from there to just be very drinkable. Given all the great choices out there, I can’t say I’d be in a rush to drink more of this, but during my next can-only expedition (canoeing, swimming etc), it might come along; or at least it would if we could buy it here in Milwaukee.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks mikereaser for the opportunity.

Pours a hazy orange amber. 2 fingers of foamy tan head. Respectable retention and a sticky net of lace on about half the glass.
Aroma is earthy, musty hops. A little pine and a bit of caramel malt.
Flavor follows aroma. Earthy, a little piney, and some citrus on the stage. Also a caramel malt. Bitterness is a little gentler than other IPAs, but clean and lingering.
Medium body with nice carbonation.

I'm not getting the smack your face American hop character everyone is raving about. Maybe I have an old can? No date means no information, which in my opinion, makes it fair game for review.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks to leftmindedrighty for this one

A: Pours a dark caramel color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Surprisingly sweet and malty for an IPA with big toffee and caramel flavors. Very little hop aroma, but I'm not minding too much.

T: Toffee and biscuit flavors up front rounded out by a sharp, piney bitterness. Somewhat unbalanced in the finish, and the bitterness quickly numbs the palate and subdues the malty flavors.

M: Quite full-bodied for an IPA with average carbonation.

D: With each sip, the bitterness gets more intense. Although this is by no means a poor beer, it's getting somewhat difficult to drink. The lack of substantial hop aroma or flavor loses points for this one.

3.47/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a cloudy golden color. The hoppy, fruity smell is strong and the best part. The taste was overly hoppy for me, and almost too complex, leaving a bitter aftertaste. Not a favorite.

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers!

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into my ccb pint glass, reddish brown, half a finger head, hazy. Aroma of hops with malt in background. Taste follows the nose hops with little malt, no balance. Citrus from the hops is good just not great. Highly carbonated. It's good just not great, after having abrasive(excellent) it's hard to tell they are both from the same brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Aromatic lightweight bitter beer.

Strong resiny nose with fresh hay. Beautiful glowing amber in the glass, and head tops off nicely and swirls its skirts. I won't swear there is any malt in this beer but the body is decent. Very fragrant hops. The bitterness just doesn't stop. To me it takes over the mouth and blots out every other flavor.

A two-dimensional beer-- fragrant hops and bitter hops. Maybe it goes well with french fried yams or bratwurst, but not a beer to sip and savor.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

poured from a can into a indian wells pint glass. The body has a nice caramel copper tone and is covered with a creamy white head.

The scent is like a very fresh cut lawn which a citrus/pine tone in there.

The taste follows directly from the smell but it falls out considerably and ends in a slightly watery flavor. The pine and citrus come through in the forefront but don't follow through very well.

The mouthfeel is a tad light for my taste, not thick at all and easy to drink. Overall I was not overly impressed with this brew, the nose was great but it didn't deliver in the end.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brewed with 2-row, Golden Promise, Aromatic, Medium Crystal, Roasted Barley. Hopped with Warrior, Ahtanum, Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo. OG=15P, English ale yeast. Bought at Goodmans in Kenosha, $8.99/4pk 16oz cans. 6.60% ABV

Pours out to a brilliant medium amber with ruby highlights, forming a poofy meringue like light yellow/off white head with beautiful retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs or so. The nose is mostly piney, a little tropical fruit hop nose, not catty, just a little dank. Mouthfeel is a little acidic from the hops, medium bodied, finishing astringent from the hops. The taste is a recap of the aroma, mostly piney, like a slightly lighter version of arrogant bastard, definitely a west coast red. Bitterness is firm, and a bit much, limiting it's drinkability. One 16oz can is plenty for me.

A solid west coast red. The bitterness is a bit much and the mouthfeel could stand more body. I'm not really inclined to buy it again if it were in my area.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

I always seem to get this along with Overrated and I always prefer the latter. Furious pours darker than I like my IPAs. Very malty and bitter for my tastes

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can with un illegible date stamped on the bottom ?/18/11. At least it’s from this year, I guess.

A: Pours a BEAUTIFUL sunset orange with tones of red. Combine to create a peach hue when held up to the light. A finger and a half of frothy sudsy eggshell head that looks like it might stick around for a bit. Some nice lacing left where it has actually fallen. Some little sediment bits in there too which is a plus in my book…unfiltered = more flavor.

S: Actually a lot of caramel/bready malt notes at first. There are certainly some piney/spicy hop notes in there as well, but somewhat muted for an IPA.

T: Simultaneous bitterness to go along with a solid biscuity malt note up front. Definitely a strong malt backbone going on in this glass…caramel/biscuit/breadiness notes throughout. Strong pine and grapefruit from the hops. Extremely well-balanced. Probably not the freshest can since I’m not getting an overwhelming hop presence, but super tasty regardless. Reminds me more of an aggressively hopped red ale at this point in its lifespan.

M: A solid medium bodied beer. Carbonation moves all the flavors around on the tongue and helps to blend this beer together. Finishes with plenty of dryness.

O: I wish I could read the date on the bottom of the can, and then I would feel more comfortable with the review that I’m giving. As it is, I don’t know if this is how the beer is intended to taste or if I’m drinking a less than fresh version. Either way, this is a solid beer. Big biscuit maltiness to go with the spicy/piney hop presence. This is one of the more well balanced IPAs I’ve had in a long time…might have caught this right before it began to pass its prime. I would love to get a can of this right off the truck….and for that reason, I’m keeping it on my wants.

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks outstanding. A non transparent copper - amber color with a huge, fluffy tan head that lasts all day.

Doesn't smell like much of anything to me. Some piney hops and caramel malts. Kind of muted aroma.

It tastes bitter and sweet at the same time right off the bat. A little bit of pepperyness and zesty citrus rind. Some pine and toffee follow. Lots of resin in the aftertaste. Very bitter, like aspirin, and drying.

Body is nice. Full, but not filling.

I am going to be way off the median with my score for this one, but the caramel and toffee flavors don't go well with the hop profile. I would swear it was an Imperial Red. Not a great one, but better than an American IPA. I don't find it to be a bad beer. This one just doesn't do it for me though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Links taproom in Chicago. Pours a brilliant Amber. Not a ton of hops in the nose, more of the malts I think. Taste is plenty bitter, not particularly juicy or bright. Plenty of malt build, so it is on the sweet side. This one is highly rated so I had high hopes, but it is just solid for me rather than remarkable.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

I'm drinking pine needles! That was my first impression. Half-way through my glass I couldn't feel my mouth anymore. This was the first real extreme bitter, hoppy beer I had and I will never forget it. The aroma reminded me the that Sobe Adrenaline energy drink that was made years ago. I'll be avoiding this one in the future, but hop-heads wanting a balanced face-melter will enjoy this one.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

Received this beer via trade with TIMMYJ21. Thanks Tim!

A 16oz can. I can only assume it's very fresh as it was picked up within days of shipping.

First off, this is a DARK IPA. An odd reddish, amber. It looks like it's loaded with Caramel malt. The aroma is good. Fairly weak. Citrusy, American hops come through over a hearty malt bill.

The color and aroma are a little deceiving. This beer tastes more like a traditional IPA than the color would dictate. Bitter, biting, hop flavor with little sweetness on the back end. Well attenuated. Don't get me wrong, the malts are rich and make themselves known but the high aa hops overpower the caramelized malts. Nice, but nothing special. The mouthfeel is fine, average I'd say for the style. Very little lacing.

Overall, I'm going to give this beer a higher overall grade than any individual component of the beer. Why? Because the drinkability is outstanding. Finishes drier than I expected with NO trace of alcohol. A beer you could drink all night but not something I would find myself seeking out.

I'd like to do a side by side with this beer and Nugget Nectar.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

1pt. can into half pint glass on 1/25/08. Thanks to BA Deuane for sharing.

A - Clear amber/orange body with small, whispy white head and ample carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Lots of grapefruit in the nose. The citrus hops are balanced with some bready and sweet caramel malts, but the aroma is primarily grapefruit.

T - The harsh citrus bitterness overpowers the maltiness. Could use a bit more malt to counter the hop bite. Malt has a burnt, roasted flavor.

M - Medium body with a watery/oily texture. Warm, burnt quality on the tongue. Very long, metallic bitter finish.

D - Not the most drinkable IPA I've had. This one packs a pretty harsh, metallic punch in the face.

3.54/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can about a month old into a pint glass.
Appearance: Golden to brown color. Nice finger of head.
Aroma: Bitter hops, pine, grass, sap.
Taste: Piny hop flavor up front followed by sweet malt. The finish is bitter and crisp.
Feel: Medium mouth feel. Smooth and refreshing.
Overall: This is a nice malt forward IPA more in the "classic" IPA style, however I was looking for a bit more in the aroma and flavor department.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company