Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,513 | Ratings: 5,449
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a nice dingy orange coppery color with a full two finger head that hangs around turning into big bubbles in a mass over the top of the beer. A smattering of spotty lace is left nicely all over the glass.

Smells of apricot, pineapple, peach, sweet sugary candy, and pine sap. A little bready background gets through but doesn't hold much against the hops.

Full hops from the beginning on this one. Juicy with peach and pineapple, toasted bready grain, turning into bitter dry pine cone at the finish with a spicy dancing bitterness finishing on the palate. Resinous, but not funky or heavy.

Has some nice zingy carbonation and sticky medium body. Dries out with a nice bitter finish.

It smells and tastes so good it's hard not to devour it and want another.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

pint can, 6.2% 99 IBU =)

Furious pours a furious red/brown color with a big sticky off white head. The nose is teeming with fresh hops balanced by clean but bold malts. Actually the malts are first to invade the tongue while tasting also, followed by a spicy hop note, subtle chocolate, and semi-sweet roasted nuts. Its medium bodied, slightly grainy as it warms, some booze on the finish and emits a long fresh hop aftertaste. Good drinkability, i wish i could get some here in NJ.

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first can, received via trade.

Pours a nice translucent amber with little to no head. Consider lacing for the small about of carbonation.

Oh my hoppiness. This my friends is a serious IPA. I smell pale, and fresh cascade(?). Lots of pine. Boy do I want to taste this. No ABV in the smell, which is impressive for the 6.2 considering.

** The best part of the smell is it doesnt go away. Ive noticed a number of Pale/IPA types will lose smell after a minute or so.

Where did it go? I get small pale pine to start, and a nice finish. Not as heavy as the smell, but nice. Pale in the finish is good, but start isnt there. ABV is present but not bad.

Fresh yet unispiring. Though what should be expected in an AIPA? Belch is nice and hoppy, which is a good sign.

I want to call this a sipping beer on a very hot day. I say this not because of the ABV, but due to the finish. The finish is the best part, but it takes a while to appreciate.

If I saw it, id get it. I dont think I would trade for it again. I am interested in additional Surly as this is my first.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

A. Pours a hazy orange with a pale yellow head. Lacing? Check

S. Piney resinous hop aroma? Check

T. They knocked it out of the park with this one. Not sure if I've had a better IPA, will have a Stone IPA next (my old favorite).

An earthy hop bounty followed by an almost woody malt taste. They compliment each other, it may be roasted malt. I like this. The malt is superior to most and stands up to the hops.

M. Full bodied and smooth. Dig it.

D. Going down WAY too fast. I should be enjoying this...well I am.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Holy Lord, this is phenomenal. Thanks to my mother-in-law for this 4 pack of Heaven.

Poured a beautiful copper color (maybe darker than your usual IPA) with a thick head from a 16 oz can into an English Imperial Pint glass. Somewhat cloudy, this one has mountains of lace and a deep piney citrusy aroma of hops.

Damn this tastes good. Not huge on alcohol, you just want to keep drinking it. I just received them a few hours ago hot in a box, and am pleased the freezer got them to temperature so quickly (bless you Whirlpool). It's tasty with a nice bitter quality but not overpowering. I'm guessing IBUs in the 60's-70's...no Ruination, but damn bitter.

I don't think they yet distribute this very far and wide, but they SHOULD. Get this if you can. Get as much as you can and stroll the streets spreading it out like a modern day Johnny SurlySeed.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

My first experience with Surly. Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!

Tall boy poured into a pint glass.
A. Pours a copper orange with a touch of gold. A glow of amberish orange with a thick white two fingered head. Sticky-icky lacing follows with every sip. Unfiltered and hazy sunshine.

S. The aroma of hops, citrusy hops. Oranges and grapefruits. A floral fragrance as well. Like the pine forest in my old back yard. Toasted roasted malts. Candied sugars or toffee.

T. A well balanced and beautifully blended mixture of hops and malt. Scottish Malt. A unique malt backbone indeed. Citrusy hops, aggressive with all the bitterness. Resinous, oily with lingering hop bitterness. The caramel toffee malt backbone makes the Furious a winner. With it's deep down flavor that pushes the complex hop profile upfront right in your face. DELICOUS!!!

M. The mouthfeel is creamy and chewy. Lots of bitterness amongst the mouth. Oily and resinous with a full body.

D. The drinkabillity is over the top. Surly, surely does not hold back on flavor and bite. A very unique blend of hops and a unique malt backbone. A pleasure to drink anytime, anywhere, and on any occasion. A new favorite for years to come.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Had on-tap at the tasting room in the South Loop Binny's in Chicago.

Pours a clear copper with a two finger head that dissipates some, but leaves good lacing. The smell is where this beer becomes impressive. I ordered this beer and as it was getting poured, the guy next to me decided to try one too. We both took a sniff and said something to the effect of "holy crap." You get a huge whiff of flowery, citrusy, and piney hops that I don't think I've ever gotten on another IPA. The nose is really really strong on this and it translates to the taste as well. The initial taste is a little bit sweet, but after a couple seconds, the hops kick you in the teeth. This is an excellent IPA that is definitely at or near the top of my list.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Dulcie had this once at the Hop Leaf in Chicago but we took no notes. It was an absolute must on our beer trek across America when we reached St. Paul.

It did not disappoint. It is one of the finest IPAs we have had - straight into Dulcie's top five. Rich copper amber colour with a fairly decent head. The aroma gets you though with its intense aromatic resiny pine scent: right away you know this is a serious beer.

Full bodied with initial sweetness giving way to citrus tang and finishing long with a nice resiny bitter note.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

16oz can provided by jasinviso. Served in a pint glass.

A: Transparent, deep amber/red body. 2 fingers of frothy tan head. Sticky lacing left on the glass.

S: Smell is predominantly citrusy and piney hops. Faint caramel malt presence in the background is barely noticible but comes out more as the beer warms.

T: The slightest hint of malt is trampled by the hops. Nice, crisp, grapefruit and pine notes dominate this beer. Dry throughout the finish. Malts become more present as the beer warms a bit.

M: Medium to full bodied. Crisp and smoothe throughout. Maybe even a slightly oily texture in there coating my mouth.

D: At only 6.2% alcohol and full of flavor, this is quite sessionable for the hardcore hop heads. Not one for those new to hoppy beers but, definely a great beer to drink slowly and savor.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It's really hard to reconcile the intense deliciousness of the beer with the punishment in the accumulating bitterness on the tongue. The deliciousness always wins, and you take another swig.

It's a good beer to acclimatise oneself to superhopped American beer. I wish I could get this in Halifax.

I first tried this while staying with my Mom in St. Paul, MN. I didn't realise how lucky I was to be able to get this. I'm no constantly bombarded with requests I get this sent up.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Picked this brew up in a trade with Akorsak, thanks Adam!

A nice reddish-orange body with almost two fingers of tan head. Some good retention. A little bit of lacing.

Smells of both malt and hops.

Fantastic IPA. Sweet caramel-like malts, citrusy and piney hops. Finishes dry and bitter. Leaves a fantastic hoppy aftertaste. A great, balanced blend of malt and hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily.

This is a beer I could drink pretty much forever. One of the bes IPAs I've encountered.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to sholland119 for this brew.

A - Appears to be thick and sticky. Color is a hybrid mix of copper and orange. A good amount of have is present. The off-white head topped out at a little under one inch and was gone pretty quick. Some lacing remained.

S - There is a big and complex hop aroma. Just to name a few: Grapefruit, orange, pine, bubblegum, pipe tobacco, and fresh cut grass. There is some malt notes that are able to peak through on the tail end. Mostly caramel but it stays in the background to let the hop keep the spotlight.

T - An explosion of hops to start out. Fruitiness is up front with hints of orange, strawberry, blackberry, and mango. The earthy hop notes take a back seat. Picked up some pine flavor with hints of leaves and grass. Some malt shows up toward the end with flavors of caramel and sugar.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation. Finish is dry, bitter, and does not end. This beer is bigger than expected for the style but still very good.

D - Drinkability is good. It basically destroys the palate and taste buds with hop flavors and bitterness which does limit drinkability to a degree. Alcohol is hard to detect which helps out some. That being said, it is still a very good beer. I would happily have another one. I might not be able to taste it, but I would still have one. Highly recommended beer from Surly. Glad I got to try it out.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

I've had this on at least 5 occassions and I find it to be a decent offering but nowhere close to the style I like.

A = A fairly dark appearance for an IPA style with a minor head with an off-white color.

S = Nosing the glass, I smacked head-on into a bitter wall of floral hoppiness that I immediately associate with English Bitter Style.

T = Very strong with minor citrus and a bull-rush of bitter hops. Much as in the Surly style, the beer is over-hopped to a substantial degree.

M = Bitter, effervescent, and singeing, I found it difficult to hold this on the palate for my usual 20 seconds (for tasting and evaluation purposes). A can/glass of this will provide palate shock and leave you with this aftertaste for 20 minutes to a half hour or more after you've finished. Because of this, Furious is not a food friendly beer.

D = For me... one and done.

This is not my favorite and I will be fair by stating that up front. Stylistically, they have achieved a specific taste and result and with that said, this beer is spot-on. If you love huge bitter, floral, and citrus spokes, this is your beer.

Just not for me.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Served into an imperial pint glass, this brew pours a deep, clear amber. Almost brown.
The head is about a fingers worth of frothy white foam. A little darker than I'd expect from an AIPA.

S - More caramel malts than anything, but also a nice hop profile on top of things. Again, a little maltier than I'd normally prefer, but I like my IPA's to smell hoppy. Sidenote: when I cracked the can, all I could smell was hops.

T - Very big and flavorful. Well-hopped and has a nice underlying malt backbone that balances out this monster. Extremely well put-together, and a definite gem. Bitter on the finish but not overly. Reallly well-balanced.

M - Creamy, medium carbonation, medium body.

D - Great drinkability, and a brew I'd revisit time and time again if it were available.

Notes: I've been spoiled with some great IPA's lately and this one is no different. Those who can obtain this should consider themselves lucky, as this is a truly tasty brew. Thanks Tom!

What more can I say that hasn't been said?

This is my staple beer! I'm not going to review it in the traditional fashion. Instead I'd rather just say it kicks major arse!! Now as a hop head, I found this beer to be excellent. But as a drinker in MPLS who is always searching for a fresh, hoppy, and strong beer. I found this beer to be my #1. I had always wanted to brew a beer similar to this. Instead Todd did all the work for me. I love the dark amber coloring. If poured correctly, it seems to always come with a nice head and can achieve some substantial lacing. When that first sip hits you, it brings that hoppy bite right to your palate. It then evolves into a fine bitter/fruity combination that I can't get enough of. Now had I reviewed this beer over 1 year ago, there would have been 1 minor change, aroma. But it is my recent knowledge (And correct me if I'm wrong.) that it seems they've been dry hopping the Furious recently. Which in my opinion is the only addition needed.

Truly a masterpiece!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'll have to double check, but I do believe this is the first beer I've ever reviewed out of a can. After tasting the furious, I'm not certain but that this wouldn't always be my beer of choice if I had to bring a sixer of cans some place.

Poured out of 16 ounce "pint" size can.

The beer pours an impressive hazy orange amber color with very good head retention and lacing. This is a serious looking IPA. The nose is impressive, with very noticeable underlying citrus from the hops. There is also considerable malt presence in this beer, which adds an aroma of cherry, some vanilla and butterscoth to this beer. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, and I'm impressed by how just how well balanced this beer is. There is a huge hop presence, yes, but it's countered very nicely by equally impressive sweet malt. Neither overwhelms the other and I find this beer absolutely delicious. Interestingly, despite the massive amount of malt and sweetness in the mid palate, the beer actually has a very nice, bitter/dry finish. It helps the drinkability of this beer considerably. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the beer is not the least bit heavy or tiring to drink. Given the amount of hops and sweet malt in this beer, I was surprised by the 6.2% abv. I really thought it was higher then that.

A VERY impressive beer from Surly. Just delicious.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours with a slightly cloudy murky brown. The darkest American IPA I've seen. Small head , some lacing.

Aroma is spot on grapefruit , small hint of caramel sweetness.

Initially this beer has the characteristic hoppy bitterness , with citrus and grassy undertones. A nice malty sweet finish keeps this nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is thick , with a sticky finish.

Overall an easy drinking beer I wish was more available in Ohio.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Surly is an interesting brewer. I get the cans at a couple of the local beer stores but can also slide over to their brewery on Saturdays (12-2pm only) to get a couple of growlers.

I think I like the growlers better but it is a close call. Probably has something to do with feeling like I have to drink a full growler at a sitting so it does not go bad.

Furious has a fruity hop flavor which puts it in the the Bells Hopslam class without the high alcohol. Nice color and smell. Not for all drinkers as it has its own taste.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly cloudy, deep copper with a two-finger off-white head and a good amount of visible carbonation. Head fades slowly to a thin cap, but leaves lots of sticky lacing behind.

Smell is floral and citrus hops: fresh cut grass, orange peel, fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit. There's also some sweet caramel and fresh baked biscuits.

Taste starts off with some toasted bread and caramel flavors, with some bitter floral hops in the background. There's a metallic bite and not much hop flavor, despite the nose. Malt background seems week, and the hop bitterness fairly subdued. Given the look and the smell, the taste was a bit disappointing.

Medium-bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability was OK, but overall it seemed to lack any real flavor. Perhaps this was just a bad can, but I'm in no rush to seek this one out again.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a very dark amber, brown in color with a huge, frothy, off-white head. For an IPA this has a very intense, piney hop flavor! Very nice. Taste is huge hop flavor. There's no way this is only an IPA. This is better than most DIPA's that I've had. Huge, and creamy on the mouthfeel. I don't know what else to say, other than this is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I've been wanting some Surly beers to see for myself what the hype is about. This one exceeds my expectations. Very well done!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

16 oz can poured into imperial pint glass

A - Pours a dark amber hued orange color with a massively frothy light tan. Head lasts very well, becoming rocky and leaving excellent lacing. I like the can idea, but I feel it may make the head excessively large if you don't pour very slowly. Either way, I can't argue with the beauty of this beer.

S - Wonderful hop aroma, complete with pine and citrus scents. Grapefruit and some lemony accents. Good malty sweetness with caramel and toffee flavor (just like the can says!). Flavors combine well to form a very pleasing aroma.

T - Starts with a mild toffee flavored sweetness with light caramel flavor. Hops come on soon and strong with their pine and grapefruit flavors. Finish is bitter and dry.

M - Smooth and creamy at first with a moderate carbonation. Medium-bodied. Bitterness comes on strong at the finish. Very drying.

D - A very enjoyable brew from Surly. Great hop flavor and scent with appropriately backing malt flavors. Alcohol is not really a factor. Worth seeking out, but maybe not all the hype it seems to get.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Dark amber in color with frothy head and some prickle. Hoppy nose. Hop forward flavor and smooth mouthfeel. Undertones of malt but beautifully hopped. Extremely hoppy! I had to downgrade this on my own scale from A- to B- because a full pint ends up being too much hops and starts to numb the palate. Would be great with food but not really a "session" beer for me. The first half I loved. . .then it was too much for me, but I am only a casual "hophead" and drink lots of big malty beers.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Well, I both see how this gets everyone in a tizzy... and recognize how if this were the IPA of my local brewer I'd be all over it all the time... and then have to acknowledge that I don't think this is the pinnacle of IPAs for me (I prefer West Coast style IPAs), nor do I think it's the best of the more malt-forward IPAs around (although this isn't really strong criticism... I think I'd take a Masala Mama or HopDevil over it... and maybe put it right on par with Smuttynose).

Pours a very amber-y gold with nice frothy head... it looks durn pritty! Opaque, nice lacing... me likey.

Aroma is a bit flat... but what comes through is a relatively straightforward citrus aroma backed by a toasted malt character. A little caramel or toffee.

Taste... reminds me of Arrogant Bastard's younger brother. In a good way. It has a very distinctive pine-y, resiny quality to an otherwise citrus dominated hop punch, wrapped around a firmly malty, mildly sweet, very toasted, rich caramel middle. It's just a bit cleaner and a bit milder than AB. The more cans of this I drink, the more I become convinced that if I loved AB and wanted to make it more approachable and more of an IPA... this is exactly the brew I would want. That said... it's lovely, and very drinkable... but I'm not gaga over it.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium full with a nice spritzing carbonic touch.

Very drinkable and balanced despite the slightly astringent, resiny bitterness. It's a fine take on the style, but I really prefer a juicy, floral, malt-backward hop-forward take, and this just will never displace my favorites. That said... go forth, and try this yourself! I'll certainly be drinking this non-stop when I'm back in the upper midwest.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up on a recent trip to MN. Had this on tap a lot, but I think I actually prefer it in a can, due to the inadequacies of many tap lines and the freshness of a nice, well refrigerated can. Pours a very pretty red with hints of terracotta, creamy yellow white head. Beautiful. Smells fresh, of grasses, citrus fruits and pine sap. Taste is a hop-forward blast of changing flavors, pert bitter citrus, nice caramel malt backbone, lingering bitterness. I think the magnificent thing about this is just how well this beer is put together...its just so well balanced. Mmm. Medium bodied, slightly sticky. Highly dinrkable and delicious.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

many thanks to timbro81 for generously donating this one to me. very kind indeed.

appearance is dark reddish-amber. nice collar of beige foam with good retention.

aroma is outstanding. pure pine sap and cedar followed by grapefruit, orange and caramel. a truly beautiful, perfume-like nose on this one.

on palate, it's surprisingly balanced. the intensity of the aroma is not duplicated in the taste. judge for yourself whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. for me, the incongruence here is a little odd. i'm all for balanced beers but i almost feel there is something missing here. notes of fruit--orange, ripe pears, grapefruit--and caramel. hop flavors come forward in the finish.

mouthfeel is wonderful. very mellow and smooth, with just the right carbonation.

drinkable for sure but the flavor seems to be missing something. maybe there's something wrong with my palate. i'll be interested to try this one again and adjust my review accordingly.

Furious from Surly Brewing Company