Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Furious | Surly Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
FuriousFurious

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,496 | Ratings: 5,367

Furious is a great beer. You can really smell the I.B.U's in this beer and has a smell like it is fresh of the boil kettle. I love I.P.A's and Furious has one of the best taste I have had. This beer has a great finish and whether from a can or the tap tastes great!

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

THIS... is a killer IPA that absolutely lives up to the hype. I've been wanting to try this beer for quite a while... and now that the time is here, I couldn't be more excited!

poured from a one pint can into a pint shaker, I've got 8 ounces of deep, copper love staring me down. with a 1.5 inch, eggshell white head that just won't quit... I can't help but begin salivating just at the sight of this beer.

smell is immediately quite pine heavy and ends with a citrus kick with a bit of a sting. not much malt on this one at all.

this is one of the best tasting IPAs I've had in a reeeeaaally long time. a nice hop bite right up front that ends up sticking around throughout. a little bit of citrus peeks it's head in in the middle... in the form of grapefruit?... doesn't hang around for long. stong bite to finish out. this one will stick on the back of your tongue for a good while.

mouthfeel? really nice. a TOUCH heavy, but perfectly carbonated. no complaints at all.

I could drink a fair amount of this beer... but I could see it getting to me after a few. I must say that being on the west cost... with our "west coast" IPAs... this is one of the most "west coast" of any IPA I've had in quite a while. bitter, bitter and more bitter. I love it.

A- Redish Amber, thicker head but it dies down to a thin layer that sticks to the sides pretty well
S-O the hops!! When I first had this beer all I could think of was grapefruits
T-Again very hoppy, hint of carmel, with a bitter after taste
M-Light carbonation that goes down smooth
D-In tell I moved to Germany I really did drink this daily. It is my favorite IPA

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass to smell the sweet hop aroma! (Thanks to Todd for the hookup!)

Nice golden color with a thick head--moderate carbonation.

Typical IPA smell but maybe a little lit for the style.

Taste was magnificent. A very easy to drink ale.

Mouthfeel was right on. Had a very prickly amount of carbonation. I was surprised at how long the head was retained. Nice malt flavor down the back of the throat.

A solid IPA. I have been eagerly anticipating drinking this offering from Surly as it is a legendary IPA craved by most of the country. Glad I live within driving distance. I was not disappointed. Surly delivered on my expectation and I will gladly enjoy again.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A deep, caramelly brown body with lots of fizz and light foamy head. It was much darker than I expected, but it looks really nice. There's a decent amount of lacing left behind on the glass.

S - Lots of earthy malt aromas with some light piney wood notes. A hint of citrusy lemon peel and orange, and thankfully not overwhelming at all.

T - For a beer with 99 IBUs, it's not as bitter as I expected. I drank this about a month after receiving, so it wasn't exactly the freshest out of the brewery. It's also not very sweet at all for a beer that's self describe as tasting like "caramel-toffee". I'm not very impressed with the taste.

M - Pretty thin body feel and lots of fizz that rests on the tongue.

O - I'm a little conflicted right, so please give me a moment... okay, thanks. As far as IPAs go, this beer isn't overly hopped as some IPAs are becoming. That said, it's a respectable beer, but I wasn't very impressed. I've only had one other Surly brew, Coffee Bender, and that was fantastic, so my opinion of Surly is still a little conflicted. Good beer, but this one isn't anything unique.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

This one is courtesy of Packforever1976.

Pours a slightly cloudy red, with an off-white head that drops slowly and leaves a ton of lacing. Aroma is a ridiculous level of orange, lemon rind, and caramel; it's floral, almost perfume-like. The taste is full of prickly pine, earth, and some malt that manages to remain very robust without upstaging the hop flavors. Moderate carbonation combines with aggressive hops to really scrub the palate. Despite the intense malt sweetness, it finishes dry and citrusy.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A - Surprisingly dark, clear bronze with a half inch of nice fluffy head.

S - Man, that smells really nice. Huge fresh ripe mangoes, with some piney undertones. Really interesting hop bouquet. I love this smell.

T - Big thick, up front resiny hops. Grassy, piney, with moderate to high bitterness. Very interesting flavors, unlike any other IPA I can recall. Almost tastes like there's pine sap in there, mixed with some bitter grapefruit. Tastes like a mouthfull of fresh hops. Very good, but almost too much resiny grassiness in there for me to be a 5, at least for me. Definitely gets high marks for being different and interesting without cacophony.

M - Nice and creamy, medium to full-bodied. Makes it seem bigger than it is, but without any booziness.

D - The thickness makes this a bit less drinkable than it could be for only 6.2%. While I enjoy this, I couldn't sit around drinking it all day.

Every sip I take I just roll it around in my mouth and taste something new. While some of the flavors in there aren't normally at the top of my list, this is a really well done beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Ruddy dark brown with a fantastic hop flecked haze to it. Massive crusty head, thick bubbly surface reminds me of what is seen in open fermenters during Brewery tours. Dense deep creamy head starts about 2"+ thick but slowly slides down into the brew as it snap, crackle and pops its way into leaving some thick ribs and smattered lacing. Finely dissolved intense rasping carbonation, but it's all under control. Excellent looks and superb head longevity throughout. Shame to keep this one hidden in a can.

Nose: Intense citrus fruits, orangey hops, caramel malts, grapefruit, lemon rind and yet more malts. Classic stuff.

Taste: Gorgeous start, thick fruity and oily with a big blast of malts and an even bigger pummeling from the hops. The hops have a mouth watering juicy nature from the hops but all this is held in a stable forthright pose thanks to the malt base with its toffee texture and caramel consistency. Excellent

Mouthfeel: The fine conditioning lends a lively smoothness to this brew, the malts impart a chewy toffee nature and the hops offer a lively sharp cutting bitter lemon bite. It works extremely well to lend a much bigger feel to an IPA that is "only" 6.2%.

Drinkability: This beauty comes in 4-Packs. At 6.2% whilst this is a very poundable brew I am sure it could get you into danger and trouble very quickly. Highly quaffable.

Overall: Says "Beer for a Glass, from a Can" around a red band on the neck - and you certainly need to release this IPA from its metal prison and into the glass to see just how marvelous it looks. Hands down the best Canned IPA I have ever had. A Benchmark for sure.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on "guest tap" at Lunar outside of Chicago.

A- Amazing looking orange color with incredible head and retention. On tap really helps.

S- Perfect sweet grapefruit, fresh citrus.

T- Light delicious hops. Some IPA's are really head bashing, but these are nicely balanced with the rest.

M- light and refreshing carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. Could have stayed for a couple of these beers.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, a deep orangish color (sunset after a good downpour color) Not too heavy of a head. Tastes exactly as described on the can, heavy hops aroma. Fantastic tastes, this is definitely a favorite.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

This 16 oz can of Surly Furious poured a slightly hazy (though not bad for 99ibu’s and a ton of flavor & aroma hops) copper to red and had a fluffy off white head which dissipated slowly leaving traces of lacing on the glass.

The hoppy aromas of citrus and pine were evident from a foot away! Upon closer examination an intense aroma of grapefruit and freshly cut Christmas tree assaulted by nose.

As with the aroma, the flavor of Furious is dominated by the hops piney and citrusy. A bracing, though not harsh, degree of long lingering bitterness is also evident. Hidden deep beneath the hop flavors and bitterness is the slightest hint of sweet caramel malt.

A relatively smooth medium body, with a light degree of carbonation and major hang.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at MSP Airport. Amber looking color for an American IPA. Seemed odd. Had to actually look it up on iPad as I didn't trust the man telling me the flight order as he looked confused. Damn nubes.

Beer is OK. Nothing special. May have been an old keg but not an excuse. Its a good beer but I don't think its top 120 beers at all on BA.

Coming from the west coast, might I add. Where's the hops at???
A-

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Furious
Surly Brewing Company, Minnesota
---from can to pint glass---

Appearance
Medium amber looks like there is some sediment floating at the bottom, very thick beige head, OK lacing.

Smell
Super citrusy, super piney, floral notes.

Taste
Bitter pine with insinuations of sweet malt.

Mouth-feel
Perfect balance of hops to malt. Good carbonation. Lingering flavor begs for another sip.

Overall
I’m really digging this beer. Great taste with good balance, not too hoppy (if such thing exists). Definitely one my Go-To list now. Smells perfect!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I would have to say that this is probably the best beer I have had from Surly (haven't tried the Darkness yet though.) Easy enough to drink, I finished the whole growler myself in a few hours. Nice and hoppy, just the way I like them. Rich reddish tan color with a light and medium fast head and a hop scent to hang with the best of them. I have visited this brew time and time again since it hit the market in my city. Only available on tap here but that's fine with me as I can fill a growler again and again. Not bad Surly, not bad.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into my trusty Samuel Smiths' Imperial Pint Glass

A - Pours a burnt, rusty orange, with a creamy, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a decent amount of lacing. Almost deep enough color to be considered a red IPA.

S - Gobs of pine-gum, Lemon-mint, and lemon verbena. The malt shows up later in the game, on the nose, but backs up this hop bomb, nicely. Simcoe hops, how I love thee... Let me count the ways. 50 IBU's, 60 IBU's...

T - The Taste follows the nose here, with more pine, Lemon rind, mango, and light grassy tones. The malt, once again, lifts up the flavor, providing backbone and hints of rye bread, caramel, and warming alcohol. A VERY well-balanced beer, all told. YUM.

M - Full, and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, driven by the hops, but followed closely by the malts. The ABV helps keep this one warm, without overwhelming the flavor, and adding unneeded heat to the beer.

O - Another beer that makes me glad to have friends that travel out of state... I can't wait for the day that Surly makes it's way to Texas Distributors!!! If you can get your hands on this beer, DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! GET TO THE (C)HOPPER!!! All that said, it's damned tasty, and you should drink it.

Cheers!!!

<Matt The Beer-Guy>

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Had on tap at Grumpy Bulldog in Naperville. I am told this is a rare treasure to have on tap. Additionally, I understand the last barrel lasted only 2 days in such a small bar. When drawn it looked like a nice cool iced tea with a thick beer head on top. It has quite a bit of pin hops smell. There are some smaller citrus undertones. However, what makes this beer great is the hops. The taste is big and bold. Wow...a guy can really get into trouble with this beer. It drinks remarkably smooth and has a wonderful. This beer barries the typical Dogfish head 60 minute that is often on tap at several craft brew pubs/taverns.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Traded to get a 4 pack and glad I did. This is my last one so time to sip slow and review.

A: a nice deep orange hue with some redish/amber. Standard white 1/16th of a ring around the top. Very white head.

S: grapefruit citrus mixed with pine. Some toffee and caramel malt. Smells delicious.

T: pine and grapefruit citrus mixed with some balancing toffee malt and a lingering bitter citrus finish. Balanced and delicious.

M: pretty wet beer. Moistens the mouth and a crazy mix of wet and dry finish. Hard to describe but really tasty. Smooth. Pretty carbonated.

O: really quality beer. Great balance of hops and malts. Could have a few without it destroying the palate or getting old. Definitely a hop bomb but the malt keeps them check.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes:

Appearance - Apricot colored with a topping of foamy head, this slightly hazy beer is presented to me in a regular pint glass. The color and general appearance is pretty magnificent, becoming fiery gold when held to a light.

Aroma - Wow, an American IPA with malt in the aroma. Shocking. I approve much of the apparent balance in the beer. i can smell some toasty and caramel malts for sure, and then tropical fruit on top as the hops take over the nose.

Taste - Delicious. Really great, a pretty unique beer in and of itself. The malts provide a solid foundation with a powerful pale malt flavor complemented by toasty, biscuity goodness and finished off by a sweetish caramel toffee cap, like a helping of buckwheat honey. The hops are there with vim and vigor: here there be mango and pineapple, with a less distinct helping of general citric hop presence and occasional flavors of piney resinous cannabis and floral hints of lavender. There's a bracing bitterness under all this flavor but it isn't out of the ordinary by any means. This defines a balanced IPA to me.

Mouthfeel - Full to be sure. The caramelly flavors really go well with the somewhat heavy body. The carbonation is lively and supports the huge head formed of al the wonderful hop oils.

Drinkability - High. The alcohol is pretty low for an American IPA and the flavors are large. Had a second glass and there appears to be no reason a third wouldn't have been just as good had we not finished our meal and left for home by then. I don't know if this is as good in cans but it sure shines on tap.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is an amazing beer - I've had it on draft and in a growler, but am reviewing a canned one. The appearance is just amazing, especially when poured into a glass that can hold all 16 ounces and a head. The head is dense, and it subsides slowly, leaving plenty of lace down the sides. I get a good whiff of hoppiness here, which considering I rarely smell anything is a plus. The taste is explosive, with an initial assualt of citrussy hops, followed by a solid base of malts to balance it out, with a strong hoppy after taste that lingers for quite some time. The beer has a great, rich mouthfeel, as if it were almost too big for itself. There is nothing watery here, yet it remains sprightly and non syrup-like. Again, this beer's nearly perfect balance shines through. It is quite drinkable, but going beyond a couple cans can be a lot of alcohol. If I could sip, it would be a great session brew, but as I guzzle, I need to limit myself. This is an outstanding IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a pint glass from the 16 oz can.

A - a nice deep copper color with a thin head.

S - beautiful piney hop aroma.

T - a bit more bitter than judged by smell. A nice hoppy taste with a little sourness in the finish.

M - on the thin side but average for the style.

O - a nice drinkable beer from a can! Good job.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%

Overall this was a pretty good beer, but a one trick pony. Hops hops and more hops, that seems to be the surly motto, and on that front they got there. Very nice hop nose and flavor, all american hops for sure. The taste hits you bit with hops, but finishes just a touch too bitter for my taste. Balanced is always the key to IPA's and while this is far from undrinkably bitter, it need a little more malt backbone to reach a higher level. Good, but not great. I'll likely try some more surly to see how it matches up.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can into tulip glass and reviewed on paper 12/28/10. Transcribed into BA 12/29/10.

A: Surly claims crimson on the can, and it's definitely a deep orange, reddish crimson. Poured with a 2 finger thick head beige in color with heavy lacing.

S: What a nose. It's hoppy. It's piney. It's citrusy. It's pineapple-y (?!?)

T: Again...hops, pine, citrus. It's a full flavor profile. And yes, it's even bitter.

M: A nice carbonated bite to it. Not overpowering, but present.

D: Drinking is not a problem when it comes to this beer, although with how drinkable Furious is, drinking can easily become a problem.

Comments: I received a few of these in a trade. Having taken a more recent (few months or so) liking to IPAs, this was a welcome surprise in a trade. I've had more double IPAs than IPAs recently. But, wow - this was good!!! This doesn't old a candle to DIPAs, it holds a flamethrower...

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours out nice light maroon in color with a healthy two finger, white head with good retention and some really nice lacing.

Smell is pretty tropical. Definitely some nice orange, mango, pineapple, with a slight bitterness. Nice sweet malt backbone that really seems well balanced.

Taste is slightly less tropical than the nose and a little more nice piny goodness but there is a good balance between the two. The piny bitterness seems to linger in the throat. The sweet malt backbone really evens things out as there is a really nice balance between everything mentioned. Nothing really sticks out or is overwhelming so all of the flavors are there in a nice amount.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick for the style and is very nice.

Overall I really like this beer and am glad I have easy access to it year round. Really nothing to complain about here. Just a great example of the style.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aroma - orange, pine, resin, caramel malt, toast, mild anise. Fairly strong aroma.

Taste - orange, grapefruit, pine, clean bready base malt with a light caramel finish. Finishes dryer than the color suggests.

Overall - one of the best hoppy red ales.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in trade from feloniusmonk. This one has been lurking in the fridge for over a week. It's funny how I have been conditioned to keep canned beer cold....sat at room temperature for about 90 minutes. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Luscious murky dark red. Very nice moderate head. Good carbonation. Superb lacing.

S - Outstanding. This beer is very reminiscent of a couple of DIPA's I've imbibed in of late. HopSlam and Hop Whore come to mind immediately. Piney hops, unripe grapefruit, lemon zest, spruce....

T - Assault team hops. Again, very strong grapefruit. Drinks so much like a DIPA, I had to check the ABV again. Wonderful bitter aftertaste, deliscious hoppy burps.

M - Surprisingly full bodied and creamy (low ABV at work?). Very broad across the palate, very nice going down.

D - This may be the best part for me. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but this beer drinks like a DIPA. A damn fine, rough & tumble DIPA...the fact that the ABV is fairly low is a wonderful bonus. This is a beer I could drink all day. Say, a Sunday full of football. Or a poker night. If I could get my hands on a case....paging Minneapolis BA's, come in please!!!

Thanks Al, for turning me on to yet another great beer.

Cheers