Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

4.3

Reviews: 1,506 | Ratings: 5,428
4.3/5  rDev 0%

This 16 oz. can came as a generous extra from bakerslp with a high recommendation. THANKS! After an afternoon filled with a bounty of spectacular new beer....I broke out this little gem & split it with a friend.

A ~ Tea colored. A vigorous pour into an 8oz. stange released a mountainous 2 finger butter cream colored head with a whipped cream consistency. Sheets of tacky lace. The bottom pour left a sprinkling of dark sludge that resembled cinnamon or nutmeg on top of the buoyant firm head. Impressive....

S ~ Hops! Grassy & piney with sharp citrus notes
and roasted malts. The weakest aspect of this beer (for me)

T ~ An absolute full on assault of H O P S !!
Intense, strong flavors. Hop forward with citrusy sides more apparent as the beer warmed.
A malt background with a little sweet touch on the backside. Sharp & 99 IBU's bitter on the finish BUT, not the least bit offensive or hard to take.

M ~ Smooooth & way dry. The bitter blast leaves a mildly oily resin on the tongue. A warm, enticing glow at the back of the throat. Satisfying body & appropriate carbonation provide a refreshing finish.

D ~ I'm still tickled about "good" beer in a can.
This beer has balls. BIG BALLS ~ Dangerously easy to drink. A couple of these 16 oz. crushers would be enough (for me) but, THIS was an exceptional IPA adventure & I'm glad I had a chance to try it. Gonna seek out some more ~ soon!

Oh yea ~ This was my first taste of Surly. I'm impressed.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

Surely this can of Surly couldn't compare with a bottled beer. You are correct. It doesn't compare. It is actually better than most bottled IPA's. Aroma and flavor is full of piney hops and rich malts. Pours a dark amber with a nice sized head. Pine, pineapple, big hops and big malts. A sticky brew and I loved it. One last thing.... Did I mention anything about BIG HOPS!!! It is like my nose was smashed into a pine tree!!!!

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, a deep orangish color (sunset after a good downpour color) Not too heavy of a head. Tastes exactly as described on the can, heavy hops aroma. Fantastic tastes, this is definitely a favorite.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Obtained from TheReaper16!!
Poured into New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Poured a big frothy off white head, that is very sticky. good lacing. Has a nice cloudy amber body.

Smell: Lots of piney hops. Caremel? Some nice sweet malts. Maybe some hints of citrus. Lots of Pine.

Taste: Not what I expected from the nose. Still a very piney hop presence, but the sweetness is enhanced in the taste. Very pleasant.

Mouth: Very silky for an IPA I think. Almost chewy, I like it.

Drink: This is a very solid IPA. Not sure if it's my favorite or not, but I like it.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice beige head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing. Aroma features extremely strong pine and citrus (grapefruit) notes with earthy and caramel notes beneath it. Taste is almost a disappointment after the power that the aroma suggests. Not that its bad, just the aroma is so appealing. Taste begins with hop bitterness and finishes with a smooth caramel maltiness that balances it without taking away from the hops. Seems to have a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that makes it quite drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

Well, this is going to be very hard to write unbiased. Surly Furious, along with Two Hearted Ale, are the two beers that got me into craft. I was just a young, innocent boy in downtown Chicago. I'm 4 years older now, and now fatter and happier because of it. Nostalgia.

A - canned 10/24. Into a tulip gently, still produces two fingers of head. Off-white, pretty bubbly, not rocky but very nice. Lacing is mild, but the glass was a little wet from just being cleaned. I'm making excuses for all shortcomings already. Color is dark amber. No particulates, but there's only half the beer in there. Later pour produces the aliveness of the beer.

S - yep, that's amazing. Sweet, citrusy hops with a little sweet malts. Not getting any of the caramel maltiness that I remember smelling on this beer, and that is fine with me. This is one of the best-smelling beers I've ever had. (ZD, Sculpin, Sucks, Lunch, to name a few, if anyone cares.)

T - mostly malty to be honest. The hops definitely take a back seat. There's a tartness that makes itself present mid-taste, and the bitterness is noticed just at the end. It's very interesting (and a little disappointing to me), considering the smell.

M - insanely drinkable. Clean and light-medium. I'd like a little more carbonation. Bitter aftertaste is only temporary. Dangerous.

O - when I found out Surly pulled their supply from Chicago to meet demand back home, it was a very dark day. They still have a special place in my heart for getting me into craft. A beautiful beer that smells like absolute heaven. The taste is more malts than I'd like, but still delicious. I'd love more citrus in this AIPA, but I guess that's what Abrasive is for. Looking forward to Surly upping production and increasing circulation.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a rich tea color with a hint of red. Nice big three finger frothey tan head.

Smells of Grapefruit, Malts, Hops, Pines, wood, grass.

Taste is bitter, very bitter, but a grassy bitter. small amounts of malts compliment the hops. good citrus undertones.

mouthfeel is nice, and on a hot day I could make a four pack a session brew.

Thanks to Tim and Blair for these two. Poured from the can into a Delirium snifter. Canned on 12/15/11, drinking 2/16/12.

Pleasing bouquet of citrus and pine, with some underlying caramel sweetness. The aroma is not "in your face" and its not subtle, but some somewhere in-between, leaning just a tad towards "in your face". The aroma is strong, yet delicate all at once. As it warms, the caramel and pine seem to be the front-runners.

1/2 inch head, cream colored, off-white, a bit tan. It holds up nicely for a bit, then decides it will like to submit itself to the depths of the beer. But wait, it stops falling. What's left behind is a scattered, minimal lace, and a very thin and bubbly film to cover the surface area of the beer. Beautiful color here. Its a deep amber red, with some light brown hues that really give it an interesting look. The can's description nails it by saying "crimson-hued". Its hazy, and near opaque.

Lots of hop flavor on the first sip, and as you would expect the flavors are truly reminiscent of the nose. The fresh pine, the bright citrus and malty sweetness. Its not balanced, the hops are clearly winning the battle here. I dont mind however, the caramel does its job well by rounding out the dry, piney, bitter finish.

Medium body, medium carbonation enough to cut up the hops and caramel. Finishes dry. The hop residue lingers prominently, boldly claiming your mouth as their territory now. At first I didnt think it had the big hop bite that I thought 99IBUs would have, but I stand corrected. After drinking nearly half the pint, my tongue feels battered.

Its a great beer. The hop bills assault has left my tongue bruised. The slightly sweet and dry finish has me wanting more. I think Surly did a great job in how they allow the hops to shine in this one, but were able to include an underlying, well rounded, caramel, malty presence throughout all aspects of the beer.

I am biased. I love this beer so much that it is the beer by which I measure all others. The aroma is a delightful bitter floral grapefruit. Color is beautiful reddish brown. Taste is a fantastic bitter grapefruit that lingers for minutes. Full boddied rich IPA. Just awesome. The guys at Surly know what they're doing and this beer just proves it.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A deep copper-colored beer with a persistent head and nice lacing. Intense hops aroma. Huge depth of flavor balanced by toasted malts. Long finish.

Like a lot of great beers, it's hard for me to pick out individual flavors in the complexity of the whole. Overall, outstanding. An aspirant beer.

Furious is a great beer. You can really smell the I.B.U's in this beer and has a smell like it is fresh of the boil kettle. I love I.P.A's and Furious has one of the best taste I have had. This beer has a great finish and whether from a can or the tap tastes great!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Ruddy dark brown with a fantastic hop flecked haze to it. Massive crusty head, thick bubbly surface reminds me of what is seen in open fermenters during Brewery tours. Dense deep creamy head starts about 2"+ thick but slowly slides down into the brew as it snap, crackle and pops its way into leaving some thick ribs and smattered lacing. Finely dissolved intense rasping carbonation, but it's all under control. Excellent looks and superb head longevity throughout. Shame to keep this one hidden in a can.

Nose: Intense citrus fruits, orangey hops, caramel malts, grapefruit, lemon rind and yet more malts. Classic stuff.

Taste: Gorgeous start, thick fruity and oily with a big blast of malts and an even bigger pummeling from the hops. The hops have a mouth watering juicy nature from the hops but all this is held in a stable forthright pose thanks to the malt base with its toffee texture and caramel consistency. Excellent

Mouthfeel: The fine conditioning lends a lively smoothness to this brew, the malts impart a chewy toffee nature and the hops offer a lively sharp cutting bitter lemon bite. It works extremely well to lend a much bigger feel to an IPA that is "only" 6.2%.

Drinkability: This beauty comes in 4-Packs. At 6.2% whilst this is a very poundable brew I am sure it could get you into danger and trouble very quickly. Highly quaffable.

Overall: Says "Beer for a Glass, from a Can" around a red band on the neck - and you certainly need to release this IPA from its metal prison and into the glass to see just how marvelous it looks. Hands down the best Canned IPA I have ever had. A Benchmark for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

THIS... is a killer IPA that absolutely lives up to the hype. I've been wanting to try this beer for quite a while... and now that the time is here, I couldn't be more excited!

poured from a one pint can into a pint shaker, I've got 8 ounces of deep, copper love staring me down. with a 1.5 inch, eggshell white head that just won't quit... I can't help but begin salivating just at the sight of this beer.

smell is immediately quite pine heavy and ends with a citrus kick with a bit of a sting. not much malt on this one at all.

this is one of the best tasting IPAs I've had in a reeeeaaally long time. a nice hop bite right up front that ends up sticking around throughout. a little bit of citrus peeks it's head in in the middle... in the form of grapefruit?... doesn't hang around for long. stong bite to finish out. this one will stick on the back of your tongue for a good while.

mouthfeel? really nice. a TOUCH heavy, but perfectly carbonated. no complaints at all.

I could drink a fair amount of this beer... but I could see it getting to me after a few. I must say that being on the west cost... with our "west coast" IPAs... this is one of the most "west coast" of any IPA I've had in quite a while. bitter, bitter and more bitter. I love it.

A- Redish Amber, thicker head but it dies down to a thin layer that sticks to the sides pretty well
S-O the hops!! When I first had this beer all I could think of was grapefruits
T-Again very hoppy, hint of carmel, with a bitter after taste
M-Light carbonation that goes down smooth
D-In tell I moved to Germany I really did drink this daily. It is my favorite IPA

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass to smell the sweet hop aroma! (Thanks to Todd for the hookup!)

Nice golden color with a thick head--moderate carbonation.

Typical IPA smell but maybe a little lit for the style.

Taste was magnificent. A very easy to drink ale.

Mouthfeel was right on. Had a very prickly amount of carbonation. I was surprised at how long the head was retained. Nice malt flavor down the back of the throat.

A solid IPA. I have been eagerly anticipating drinking this offering from Surly as it is a legendary IPA craved by most of the country. Glad I live within driving distance. I was not disappointed. Surly delivered on my expectation and I will gladly enjoy again.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A deep, caramelly brown body with lots of fizz and light foamy head. It was much darker than I expected, but it looks really nice. There's a decent amount of lacing left behind on the glass.

S - Lots of earthy malt aromas with some light piney wood notes. A hint of citrusy lemon peel and orange, and thankfully not overwhelming at all.

T - For a beer with 99 IBUs, it's not as bitter as I expected. I drank this about a month after receiving, so it wasn't exactly the freshest out of the brewery. It's also not very sweet at all for a beer that's self describe as tasting like "caramel-toffee". I'm not very impressed with the taste.

M - Pretty thin body feel and lots of fizz that rests on the tongue.

O - I'm a little conflicted right, so please give me a moment... okay, thanks. As far as IPAs go, this beer isn't overly hopped as some IPAs are becoming. That said, it's a respectable beer, but I wasn't very impressed. I've only had one other Surly brew, Coffee Bender, and that was fantastic, so my opinion of Surly is still a little conflicted. Good beer, but this one isn't anything unique.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

This one is courtesy of Packforever1976.

Pours a slightly cloudy red, with an off-white head that drops slowly and leaves a ton of lacing. Aroma is a ridiculous level of orange, lemon rind, and caramel; it's floral, almost perfume-like. The taste is full of prickly pine, earth, and some malt that manages to remain very robust without upstaging the hop flavors. Moderate carbonation combines with aggressive hops to really scrub the palate. Despite the intense malt sweetness, it finishes dry and citrusy.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A - Surprisingly dark, clear bronze with a half inch of nice fluffy head.

S - Man, that smells really nice. Huge fresh ripe mangoes, with some piney undertones. Really interesting hop bouquet. I love this smell.

T - Big thick, up front resiny hops. Grassy, piney, with moderate to high bitterness. Very interesting flavors, unlike any other IPA I can recall. Almost tastes like there's pine sap in there, mixed with some bitter grapefruit. Tastes like a mouthfull of fresh hops. Very good, but almost too much resiny grassiness in there for me to be a 5, at least for me. Definitely gets high marks for being different and interesting without cacophony.

M - Nice and creamy, medium to full-bodied. Makes it seem bigger than it is, but without any booziness.

D - The thickness makes this a bit less drinkable than it could be for only 6.2%. While I enjoy this, I couldn't sit around drinking it all day.

Every sip I take I just roll it around in my mouth and taste something new. While some of the flavors in there aren't normally at the top of my list, this is a really well done beer.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on "guest tap" at Lunar outside of Chicago.

A- Amazing looking orange color with incredible head and retention. On tap really helps.

S- Perfect sweet grapefruit, fresh citrus.

T- Light delicious hops. Some IPA's are really head bashing, but these are nicely balanced with the rest.

M- light and refreshing carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. Could have stayed for a couple of these beers.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

This 16 oz can of Surly Furious poured a slightly hazy (though not bad for 99ibu’s and a ton of flavor & aroma hops) copper to red and had a fluffy off white head which dissipated slowly leaving traces of lacing on the glass.

The hoppy aromas of citrus and pine were evident from a foot away! Upon closer examination an intense aroma of grapefruit and freshly cut Christmas tree assaulted by nose.

As with the aroma, the flavor of Furious is dominated by the hops piney and citrusy. A bracing, though not harsh, degree of long lingering bitterness is also evident. Hidden deep beneath the hop flavors and bitterness is the slightest hint of sweet caramel malt.

A relatively smooth medium body, with a light degree of carbonation and major hang.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Traded to get a 4 pack and glad I did. This is my last one so time to sip slow and review.

A: a nice deep orange hue with some redish/amber. Standard white 1/16th of a ring around the top. Very white head.

S: grapefruit citrus mixed with pine. Some toffee and caramel malt. Smells delicious.

T: pine and grapefruit citrus mixed with some balancing toffee malt and a lingering bitter citrus finish. Balanced and delicious.

M: pretty wet beer. Moistens the mouth and a crazy mix of wet and dry finish. Hard to describe but really tasty. Smooth. Pretty carbonated.

O: really quality beer. Great balance of hops and malts. Could have a few without it destroying the palate or getting old. Definitely a hop bomb but the malt keeps them check.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at MSP Airport. Amber looking color for an American IPA. Seemed odd. Had to actually look it up on iPad as I didn't trust the man telling me the flight order as he looked confused. Damn nubes.

Beer is OK. Nothing special. May have been an old keg but not an excuse. Its a good beer but I don't think its top 120 beers at all on BA.

Coming from the west coast, might I add. Where's the hops at???
A-

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Furious
Surly Brewing Company, Minnesota
---from can to pint glass---

Appearance
Medium amber looks like there is some sediment floating at the bottom, very thick beige head, OK lacing.

Smell
Super citrusy, super piney, floral notes.

Taste
Bitter pine with insinuations of sweet malt.

Mouth-feel
Perfect balance of hops to malt. Good carbonation. Lingering flavor begs for another sip.

Overall
I’m really digging this beer. Great taste with good balance, not too hoppy (if such thing exists). Definitely one my Go-To list now. Smells perfect!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I would have to say that this is probably the best beer I have had from Surly (haven't tried the Darkness yet though.) Easy enough to drink, I finished the whole growler myself in a few hours. Nice and hoppy, just the way I like them. Rich reddish tan color with a light and medium fast head and a hop scent to hang with the best of them. I have visited this brew time and time again since it hit the market in my city. Only available on tap here but that's fine with me as I can fill a growler again and again. Not bad Surly, not bad.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into my trusty Samuel Smiths' Imperial Pint Glass

A - Pours a burnt, rusty orange, with a creamy, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a decent amount of lacing. Almost deep enough color to be considered a red IPA.

S - Gobs of pine-gum, Lemon-mint, and lemon verbena. The malt shows up later in the game, on the nose, but backs up this hop bomb, nicely. Simcoe hops, how I love thee... Let me count the ways. 50 IBU's, 60 IBU's...

T - The Taste follows the nose here, with more pine, Lemon rind, mango, and light grassy tones. The malt, once again, lifts up the flavor, providing backbone and hints of rye bread, caramel, and warming alcohol. A VERY well-balanced beer, all told. YUM.

M - Full, and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, driven by the hops, but followed closely by the malts. The ABV helps keep this one warm, without overwhelming the flavor, and adding unneeded heat to the beer.

O - Another beer that makes me glad to have friends that travel out of state... I can't wait for the day that Surly makes it's way to Texas Distributors!!! If you can get your hands on this beer, DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! GET TO THE (C)HOPPER!!! All that said, it's damned tasty, and you should drink it.

Cheers!!!