Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

#558
Liked:
4.29/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,555 |  Reviews: 1,539

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

16oz. bright red can with the Surly symbol of an angry and happy man with a pint of beer dressed silver flames. Directly below the symbol is "Furious" in big bold white letters. The back of the can has a good sized paragraph that describes the beer. The bottom of the can has an easy to read canned on date.

I poured this Midwest IPA into my Cigar City pint glass. From behind the bright red can came a great looking IPA that was a dark copper color with a splash of amber. The head of foam on this beer was equally impressive. On top was a tall 3/4 of inch dirty white head of foam. It wasn't pure pearl white or beige. It was one of those off white head of foam. This dirty white head of foam had great retention that left behind a tiny skim of foam, a good sized string of rings, and a fair amount of tiny blots of lace around the glass. This was a nice looking beer.

Like any other IPA in the world, the aroma was a fan of the hops. The hops in Furious were very piney. It loved the piney hops. Behind the piney hops was some minor citrus fruits, a few floral notes, and a solid caramel malt backbone. When its swirled around, a strong aroma of juicy fruits emerges from the background. Very nice aroma!

The taste had pretty much the same story as the aroma. It had everything that the aroma except for the juicy fruit hidden surprise. This beer didn't want to mess around so it started off with the piney hops and subtle pine needles. Following behind the pine was some dried citrus fruits, some minor floral notes, and hint of sweet caramel malts at the finish line. Very good pine based IPA.

This was a medium bodied Midwestern IPA that had its fair share of carbonation and a dried pine based aftertaste. The aftertaste was mostly pine with subtle amounts of citrus and floral flavors. This aftertaste lingers in in the back of your mouth for a few minutes.

I would like to thank BA mnbuffalo for hooking me up with this canned winner. This 16oz can didn't last long in my possession. This was a very good pine based IPA. I wouldn't mind another 4 pack.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer better be furious! See what I did there? I haven't mad many beers from this brewing company, but two are on our list. The first one we did wasn't very good, but I heard, after sharing our review of that one, that this is the best beer they make. I like hops, and this is a HOP BOMB coming in at 99 IBU. Do you know what IBU stands for? That means international bittering units. This is a measure of how hoppy a beer is. Humans can't taste beyond 100 IBU, but there are beers that go beyond that. Like the Green Flash Palate Wrecker. That beer, this year, was 137 IBU. It. Is. GREAT!

This beer is also served in a can. Not a lot of our beers are canned. but cans are starting to become a big deal in craft beer. Just today I saw Papago selling several beers from Ballast Point… ALL canned. Some beers taste better in the can, but that doesn't mean I want everything to start moving toward cans. Hoppy beers taste better from a can, though. You know me and hops. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The tasting notes said this beer was copper in color. It's not. It looks like any other American IPA I have had. We did a hoppy beer the other night, and I am pumped to try this one. Some buddies on Google+ said this was the best beer Surly makes. I hope, because I didn't really care for the other cans I have had. Still a fun story and awesome logo! There is a nice thin head left on this, with some insanely sticky lace. In my head I know what this tastes like… I just hope it delivers.

Nose: The nose is nice, but it isn't anything to write home about. It has some nice piney notes to it, but isn't really screaming huge hoppy flavors. This beer is 99 IBU, which is high for an American IPA. It's not high for a double IPA, but that seems high for just a regular canned IPA.

There is a hint, and I mean a subtle hint, of sweetness toward the end. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Holy hoppy goodness! I wish more daily drinking India pale ales would taste like that. It hits your palate with a punch of pine, and then as you swallow, the subtle fruity flavors start to open up. The beer is quite carbonated, but as this heats up and as this mellows out, the bubbles won't really bother me.

I will say, even after a few sips of this, the lace is still sticking to the side of the glass. Unless I grabbed a dirty glass, this beer has some impressive lace characteristics.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite carbonated. More than I would like for an American IPA. The real experience happens toward the back of the palate. It has a nice fluffy feel to it, but as you swallow, more bubbles really overtake your palate.

Aftertaste: It's not dry… but it's close. It has a nice drying sensation as you swallow and as you continue to swallow. The burp is nice, too. Of course, there is some of dinner in there. I had grilled chicken tonight, but I soaked it in hot sauce. This isn't a beer that I would chug, not one that I would give to someone that says, "Tell me more about craft beer." This is not a gateway beer.

Surly is a good brewery, don't get me wrong. But they aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Speaking of sliced bread, there have been some pretty awesome inventions since sliced bread. Like the Internet! Anyway, if you can easily grab this beer, do. I bet it is great on tap. But for $9.99 for 4 cans, it is a bit overpriced. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to ObiWanKushnobi for this

Poured into Shorts glass

Pour: Dark orange with reddish hues and a good three fingers off white head. Left sticky, soapy lacing when it finally did recede.

Smell: Pine (resinous), floral, somewhat citrus with a bit of pineapple. Grain and some caramel.

Taste: Again resinous pine with some grapefruit, pineapple leading into a drying bitterness. Not overly bitter at all but instead rather pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium, crisp, moderate carbonation. Again quite dry on the finish creating the need for another sip.

Overall: Very drinkable IPA and enjoyable.

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%