Furious | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.

Added by feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

Ratings: 5,536 |  Reviews: 1,536
4.21/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours wonderful deep amber color with thin off white head. Spotty lacing.

Aroma - Very mild citrus and grass, hints of sweet caramel and malts. Hints of pine as well. It is like all the aromas are very mild but balanced.

Taste - A very nice combination of sweet caramel and malts mixed with orange peel and pine. Very balanced flavors.

Feel - Medium bodied well carbonated slightly bitter and dry.

Overall - A very well done balanced beer with great flavors.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2.3/5  rDev -46.4%

I am shocked at what is rated a 96 on beeradvocate.com. Fcking shocked. I am a Minnesotan through and through and was all excited to try a Surly beer and holy crap was I disappointed. I am not going to mention what glass I poured it in, what color I thought it was, and I am not going to mention what it smelled like. I popped the canned top and prepared my self for uber goodness. What I got was uber sadness. Oh, it was drinkable, but I polished off beers half the price with 4x the flavor before trying Furious. WTF. I am embarrased for the state of MN with this particular beer. I SOUGHT after Surly beer because of its scores. I am pissed that I bought a sh*tty beer. Maybe my palate isn't refined. I know I am not among the beer tasting elite, but good god was this a bad buy.

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This one pours a nice moderately dark amber, with a small head and lots of lacing.

Smells like piney hops, caramel malt, grassiness, slight booze, and spicy hops.

This is a wonderful classic IPA- there's a good malt backbone to this for sure, with a spicy and grapefruit heavy hop profile. This is a nice example of a 'Midwest IPA'- a style you don't really get much excited about anymore.

This has a very crisp mouthfeel, with a good level of carbonation. It's very drinkable.

I would imagine that this doesn't attract many IPA drinkers anymore who love the hazy juice bombs. However, this really works for me as a nice change up from that.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours reddish-brown with a big off-white head that dissipates quickly. Dark but not opaque, looks like a lot of bubbles are in this one. Smells very hoppy with some citrus and pine. Biggest tastes for me here are the pine and hops, and while it's very aggressive to start, the malt mellows it out before long. Dry finish. Medium to heavy mouthfeel that I didn't love, but the carbonation is nice. Overall just a little too bitter for my palate at the moment, but it's clearly well-made and I'm hoping it'll grow on me the more I get it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can,into a Cigar City Spiegelau IPA glass.

Frothy off white head that stands 2 fingers tall with excellent retention and sticky lacing.Hazy amber colored body with a red hue,low clarity,distorted light showing through the glass,and a light amount of sediment.Heavy amounts of fast moving carbonation.

On the nose I get citrus,pine, and floral hops,balanced by some sweet and earthy malts.The malts are for the most part subdued.You can tell by the aroma that it is a pretty hop forward beer.

On the palate I get spice and floral hops up front,with citrus and pine hops on the back end.The entire sip is balanced by sweet and earthy malts all the way through.Very good tasting,well balanced IPA.

The mouth feel is medium heavy with a chalky texture,dry finish and a good amount of oxidation on the tongue.All this while being a pretty smooth,and refreshing IPA.

This is a very good IPA,not quite as good as their Todd The Axe Man IPA,but pretty darn close.This is definitely in my top five favorite IPA's that are available in Florida.Definitely recommend to any hop heads,and I would definitely drink this one again.Once again Surly...WELL BREWED!!!

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.46/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tap poured into pint glass at the yard house

Clear red liquid , thin layer of white foam

Aroma of citrus hops, whiff of pine

Good hop forward taste , citrus

Good beer