Coffee Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Ratings: 2,653 |  Reviews: 854

A: a nice dark brown with a great fluffy tan head retention.
S: Beautiful caramel/chocolate malts with a huge coffee backbone.
T: The taste is extraordinary for a American Brown ale with a coffee backbone. It has the same characteristics as Surly Bender as in solid caramel/chocolate malts with a silkiness only found from oatmeal but with a huge coffee addition from cold press.
M: Silky goodness
D: I love this beer. Another great brew from Surly not much else to say. If you are a fan of coffee beers this beer should be on the top of your list.

If you like iced coffee, this is for you! And I do like iced coffee.

A: Appearance is a very nice dark brown with some visible light through it, but not a lot. A very nice tan foam head to it.

S: Smells like a nice mild cup of coffee. Not overpowering smell of coffee, but enough to really make you want to taste it.

T: Subtle coffee taste to it, but perfect amount for the beer. Not a huge coffee aftertaste to it whatsoever.

M: Very smooth beer, with a nice dark beer feel to it.

D: Very redrinkable. I bought a 4 pack of it and I guarantee it won't be the last 4 pack I buy of it. The first one tasted like more. One of the best dark beers I have ever had.

Tall Boy poured into imperial pint on a brisk Easter Sunday morning before family time.

A- Pours a dark brown with red hints and a thick, lovely 2 fingers of tan head that dissipates semi rapidly.

S- Coffee forward. This is why Coffee Bender is my favorite breakfast beer. The nose alone is enough to get me ready for a day of work or leisure. Big, black aroma of coffee with hints of mocha.

T- The palate follows the nose on this beer. Big coffee flavor with teases of caramel, chocolate. Minimal sweetness as the Surly crew must enjoy their coffee as I do, black and thick.

M- Medium bodied. The bitterness of the coffee finishes semi-dry.

O- The perfect before noon beer for me and my taste buds. I try to go to the Blue Door Pub every Sunday to get my fix after my morning cup of coffee and the gym. I really appreciate that I can drink more than one of this beer. As opposed to most coffee stouts this is a brown ale and isn't as thick and filling. I may be biased but I love Surly. Cheers

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company