Coffee Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Ratings: 2,653 |  Reviews: 854

1.12/5  rDev -73%

1.22/5  rDev -70.6%

Coffee bender such as this one is supposed to have a lot of body and great flavor to it. in addition, I was expected something that resembled coffee. This can had no flavor, bland, and for being touted as a great microbrewery, I was left very disappointed.

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.86/5  rDev -55.2%

Pours a dark brown/black with minimal lacing.
smokey and roasty on the nose, also on the palatte,with tons of coffee. literally tastes like the time i cold french pressed sumatra beans with storm king out of curiousity, but a little less offensively stale coffee flavor then that was, but non the less this coffee does have that stale personality to it. some nutty characteristics is the only other note that sneaks past the aweful stale coffee onslaught.

I had to drink this one very cold,around 35-40f. I had one at 55f or so,how i drink all my beers, and the coffee flavor was so offensive i couldn't even finish. Chilling it down to 35-40 hid alot of the off flavors and made it somewhat more enjoyable.

Before you say i must not be a coffee drinker, you are wrong. i have been in the coffee industry and geek'd out on coffee for years.
While the Casual coffee drinker may like this, i would be surprised if a real coffee geek tried this and found it enjoyable.
Cardboard box lovers may love this.

1.96/5  rDev -52.8%

1.99/5  rDev -52%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a pretty much solid black with one finger tan head.

The smell was pretty much only coffee. And when I say coffee I don't mean coffee notes or beans I mean straight coffee.

The taste was also JUST of coffee. It tasted like day old coffee served cold with a little carbonation and a light mouthfeel.

I tend to love beers with coffee added but this one was just gross. I guess I could have gotten an off can but I tend to think this beer is just not for me so take this review as you will.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.39/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

When they say coffee, the freaking MEAN COFFEE!!

LOOK: more brown than black. Light lacing that disapates quickly. All head gone withing 3-5 min

SMELL: Unbelievably strong coffee smell on the initial nose. Not fresh coffee, but coffee that's been sitting in the coffee maker all day and you keep hitting the brew button to keep it warm... All... Day... Long.

TASTE: Coffee. No nuance, no 'hint' of anything, no 'just a touch' of anything, just straight up black coffee with just maybe some Starbucks-level toasted malt. Maybe the smell is so strong that coffee is all I can taste, but I didn't feel like holding my nose while drinking it in public. I was expecting a little vanilla as some reviewers have mentioned, but heck if I can pick it up. I thought that maybe the taste would mellow as the beer drank on, but no dice, strong coffee the whole beer through.

FEEL: not much to comment on. Nothing out of ordinary. My tongue just feels coated with 20-hr old coffee.

OVERALL: disappointed. Surly has a reputation for making some great beers, but this one just isn't for me. Seems like it needs it's own classification: Burnt-Coffee Ale.

2.46/5  rDev -40.7%

16 oz can received in a trade as an extra. Looked interesting but I immediately thought of "Buzz Beer" from the old Drew Carey Show.

Poured very dark brown, not quite black. Head disappeared quickly with no lacing in the glass. The mouthfeel and appearance were about the only aspects that I found remotely appealing about this beer. The taste was acidic. The combination of coffee and beer smells very unappealing like a sink with dirty glasses of coffee mugs and beer glasses.

Judging by other reviews, people obviously like it so don't let me disuade you from giving it a try. This was my first and likely my last because I don't see my taste changing that much any time soon. In the mean time, I'll do my coffee and beer drinking at separate times.

Thanks just the same to Joe for including it as an extra, I'm always looking to try a new beer.

2.51/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

The nose is coffee. The taste is coffee and a stout. I think they accomplished infusing the coffee with beer. Folgers is what I smell and taste. I really liked Blakkr. Look forward to tasting more from Surly but this brew was a bust. Update 3/2016. I just picked up and tried Wigsplitter from 3 floyds. This fit the definition that surly gave their beer. So damn good.

2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

Tasted in a pint glass from draft at the Vine on October 25, 2016. Way too much coffee. Tastes like drinking a cold cup of joe. Yuck!

2.64/5  rDev -36.4%

Served on-draught at a bar in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. Serving vessel was a Surly Mug. Cost was $5.00 USD.

A: No real head at all. Solid black colour. Mildly appealing.

Sm: Coffee, mocha, and alcohol. A mild strength aroma.

T: Coffee, light chocolate and vanilla, and buried caramel. Not horribly complex, but balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A bit too thick. Doesn't really suit the flavours; it should be coarse and dry.

Dr: Not really drinkable. More of a tame sipper, which is inexcusable at this low an ABV. I wouldn't have it again, but it's okay for the style. Coffee beer fanatics might be the only ones that will truly like this. Give me a Black Damnation II Mocha Bomb any day of the week, but leave this one be.

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company