Coffee Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Ratings: 2,671 |  Reviews: 858

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got to try this at a tasting which had focus on coffee infused beers. Served in a sample glass.

I am basing my rating purely on personal taste and my enjoyment of this beer, not of the style. Personally, I would not classify this beer as a Brown ale, at least from what I know of Brown ales.

As far as the aroma, straight up roasted black coffee. That is all I get. No hops, no malts, just an intense coffee aroma.

Taste follows the nose. Tastes like a more carbonated black iced coffee with a moderate to high bitterness as far as coffee beers goes. I am not going to say this is a bad thing. I dig coffee. I am not sure where the Brown base is at. Maybe hidden underneath the intense coffee is a little nuttiness, but I couldn't quite grasp it.

Overall, I don't think I have ever had a beer that has this much coffee flavor. If I tasted this blindly without knowing I was drinking a beer, I would not recognize it as such. I would classify this as a specialty beer for coffee lovers. Maybe I will swap out my morning coffee for this on weekday mornings working for the man.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to kjyost for this.

Poured from a 16oz. can, canned on 06/06/13.

Appearance: Black-brown body, opaque as heck, nice lacing but retention is a bit average.

Smell: Intense mix of chocolate, coffee, hazelnut, cream. Strength of coffee really shines.

Taste: Rich coffee, lots of nuttiness, sweet hazelnut and grainy coffee.

Mouthfeel: Malty as all get out, very low bitterness.

Overall: Aroma nails it, flavor doesn`t quite live up. Tasty but not in my top coffee-flavored beers.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.86/5  rDev -7%

Portion of a 16 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip. From two day old notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. I didn't really get much head from my pour, just a creamy offwhite film with poor retention.

S: Pure black coffee. That's it. Still, this is as good as purely single-note brews can get.

T: Follows the aroma - which is to say it's pure black coffee. Luckily, the coffee isn't vegetal/stale, and the brown ale base does *just* enough to iron out any excess finishing bitterness. Simplistic, but very enjoyable.

M: It's light, crisp, and rather dry...just like coffee!

O: It is what it is - carbonated black coffee with a splash of beer. It's so simple, yet so unbelievably satisfying. Those looking for a more balanced approach to a coffee beer would be better served by FBS or Wake-N-Bake, though.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%