Coffee Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,665 |  Reviews: 857
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Dark but translucent hazel brown color with a two finger foamy tan head.

Aroma: Like the aroma coming from a fresh pot of coffee. Some sweet and roasty malts as well.

Taste: Wow, actually tastes almost exactly like iced coffee. Less sweet, but with all the flavor of a fresh cup of black coffee with cream. However, it is a tad watery. Sweet milky/caramel malts up front and then all dark coffee and a hint of hop bitterness on the end and finishes dry and bitter. An interesting beer if nothing else.

Mouthfeel: Too thin but perhaps that's what they were going for. Easy drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I tend to like real coffee and hazelnut flavors in beer, so I like Coffee Bender. However, I don't see why it's a year-round offering. Would I drink it again? Yes, but I wouldn't take it over the regular Bender.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a big fluffy light brown head. Fades very slowly from the inside first, leaving a skeleton of swiss-cheesed foam. Funny looking. Leaves pretty decent lacing behind when it finally all disappears.

S: Pure and strong brewed coffee. Just a hint of toasted malt hiding behind it, otherwise pure coffee.

T: Loads of coffee but not nearly as overpowering as I was expecting from the aroma. Almost pure coffee up front with a touch of caramel mixed in. Get some nice nuttiness (hard to place, hazelnut? maybe walnuts?) in the middle with some toasted malt. Turns into more of a burnt toast as the sweetness fades away into the finish and the coffee kicks back in a little bit.

M: Medium bodied, just a touch thin, it IS only a 5.1% brew so it's suitable.

O: One of the best brown ales I've had, especially with the coffee addition lending some complexity. My only real complaint is that I wish it were a big stronger (ABV and taste-wise) to give it some real heft. It would probably be 4.5s across the board at that point. Don't let me take anything away from it, it's still great! Top-notch drinkability.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Recieved in a trade from the man known as Crabbicus, a most awesome trader.

Poured from a can into my all purpose Founders brewing snifter.

The pour on this is pretty much what I expected. Black with a tan head. Then I took the advice of a previous review and held it to the light. Wow... It's deep burgundy. This is a awesome looking beverage

Smell on this is fantastic! I am a huge fan of coffee brews, but this one has a great smell! So much coffee!!! It's a coffee bomb and I love it!

Taste is very much like the smell. Coffee forward and wonderful. It tastes very much like the description, an iced coffee. This is a top notch beverage. If I could give this more than a five I would

Mouthfeel is also very much like a premium iced coffee. So wonderful. I can't even bring words to describe this other than....perfect

Overall, if I could drink this every day I would! This would be one of the beers I'd like to keep on hand at all times if I could. I'd rate this very close to Founders Breakfast Stout, maybe slightly higher. I love it! So much depth to this! I can't get enough! Damn it I need a Surly local now...FML

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its seemingly deep brown body transforms when held to the light, revealing its true intense red mahogany hue. Just over a finger's worth of tightly knit creamy beige head floats on top, doing well at playing into the whole dessert coffee idea.

With my eyes closed and this glass held to my nose, I would say, without doubt, I am smelling a dessert coffee . It's actually unbelievable. The texture of cream plays a significant roll in the nose. The roast is pleasant and the impression is rich. The creamy hazelnut character that is whipped throughout makes tiramisu come to mind. 5 out of 5 for me.

Smooth and soft roasty notes of coffee impart a gentle dryness on the back of the palate. A thin layer of cocoa slides its way in the middle and then fades as heavier notes of hazelnut give weight to the taste. A fresh milky sweet character soon follows. Roasted grounds make a full roundabout, asserting themselves again in the finish. Where can the apparent 45 IBU's be found? I haven't got a clue.

The mouthfeel is what surprised me most about this beer. Its light, creamy, and weirdly refreshing. As enjoyable as that is, I'd really love the feel to carry a bit more umph with the incredible dessert coffee character it possesses. The more I sip on it though, the more I appreciate it. And man is this easy to drink.

A coffee or a coffee bender in the morning? Me being not a big coffee drinker, I'd take the latter 9 out of 10 times. This would actually make for a legitimate alternative to a coffee any time of the day. This is hands down one of the best beers I've had in a long time. At 5.1% ABV, this packs a punch in every category. The only question I'm left with is why did I only order a 4 pack of this.

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Since I got really into craft beer, this is probably the beer I've had the most that I haven't yet reviewed. So it's fitting for review #500.

Pours deep rusty brown, clear in the pour, opaque in the glass. One and a half fingers of medium-tan head, dense, pillowy, and creamy. Relaxes slowly to a thin cap, leaving lacy lacing arching up the sides of the glass.

Smells like espresso dosed with oats. Very dark roast, almost charred, and darker than I'd like it to be. The slick oat sweetness rescues it, but it's dominated by coffee, and it's coffee aromas that aren't really wowing me.

Taste is coffee-heavy, but again the coffee comes through overly dark and roasty. It's only half the flavors I want, and half the flavors I don't want. Woody, and not as full underneath the coffee as I want it to be. The awesomeness of Bender is hard to pull out through that, which is disappointing to me. Overly bitter, overly roasted.

Mouthfeel is nice. Smooth and fluffy, with buzzy carbonation that prickles like mini pop rocks. This part I dig.

I like regular Bender way better than this. The coffee just doesn't work for me - it overpowers the rest of the beer, and the coffee could be smoother and richer. I know lots of people really like this beer, but for me, it's decent, but a bit of a disappointment. Bender plus Coffee could be amazing, but this just isn't. Perhaps my least favorite Surly beer.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a dark brown color with a reddish hue when held up to the light. Medium, light-tan head that disappears quickly. Scent is quite malty with a hint of coffee. As the beer warms, the coffee makes itself more know. Roasted coffee with some nuttiness as well. Taste is just as it smells. Starts off with a nutty maltiness, then fades to roasted coffee beans. Dark malt finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is a very drinkable coffee beer. Very user-friendly to those who don't feel comfortable jumping into a coffee porter or coffee stout. Quality beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.19/5  rDev -23.1%

Surly compares to a starbucks iced coffee in a can, almost like one of the starbucks energy drinks. A very strong potent smell of coffee and beans, but a very weak beer. It's almost like a light beer with color additive. Overall I would drink it again b/c I am a coffee fan, but I truly believe the "coffee" added makes it like left over coffee from the pot in the afternoon.

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company