Coffee Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Coffee BenderCoffee Bender

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American Brown Ale

Bender steeped cold for 24 hours in coarsely ground coffee beans from the Vinca Vista Hermosa plantation in Guatemala.

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2006

Reviews: 835 | Ratings: 2,542
4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at Sheffield's. Served in a pint glass.

A - One and a half fingers of tannish foam with great retention and solid lacing. Color is kind of unattractive - a murky, uneven, dirt brown. Not as handsome as regular Bender, that's for sure.

S - Roast coffee, but not bitter at all. Think coffee with too much cream & sugar in it. Chocolate, vanilla, biscuity malt sweetness - all the regular Bender smells are in there too, but further in the background. It's Bender, but with nice coffee - what more do ya want?

T - Roasty coffee, some floral hops, chocolate, malt, biscuit. The taste has a fair bit more roasty bitterness than the smell.

M - Some similar complaints to regular Bender - kind of thin and watery. Nice carbonation - just a little tingle on the upper lip. Otherwise creamy & velvety.

D - Less drinkable than Bender, as the coffee is a bit fatiguing, but the lower ABV and carbonation are definitely positives.

I don't like this quite as much as regular Bender, as the coffee masks the hoppiness that I really like and gets a bit tiring after a pint or two. It's still a nice, lighter, coffee brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

16 oz can, big thanks to oakbluff for throwing me a few of these.

Pours a slightly murky dark reddish orange, light brown hues, very thick tan head forms, drops a ton of lace chunks on the glass, slowly settles down to a thin layer, good retention, looks nice. Smell is yummy, caramel, toast, floral and grapefruit hops, nice and earthy, light coffee roast, fruit, pineapple, biscuity malt, coffee plays real nice with the normal Bender. Taste is just as nice, caramel and biscuit, dry toasty malts, light chocolate, coffee, grapefruit and pineapple although not as pronounced as the aroma, earthy, light bit of sour fruit, more coffee roast, nicely balanced finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, very smooth and drinkable. Still think I prefer the regular Bender, but the coffee gives this a pretty cool dimension, just enough to make it interesting. Really nice stuff, thanks Scotty!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 1 pint/16oz can into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for sharing his fortune and passing a few of these babies along to me.

A- Deep brown with nice ruby highlights. Sturdy pour produces ~2 1/2 fingers stiff tan head, which settles slowly into a fairly thin cap, and leaving a fair amount of lacing.

S- A bit of nutty earthiness and coffee. Malty sweetness pokes through after a few minutes.

T- Moderately sweet, caramel maltiness and coffee. Solid, moderately high level of bitterness on the finish. If you like black coffee, you'll probably like this.

M- Moderate carbonation and feel. Quite dry on the finish.

D- Pretty good. Low-ish ABV%, and goes down easy. I could drink coffee all day, and I dare say, were it not for the fact that it contains alcohol, I could drink these in a similar manner.

Future outlook: Sigh....I love all 3 of the Surly brews that I've been lucky enough to try...BUT....I cannot purchase Surly here in Ohio....so I'll enjoy the few I have left, and then start wondering when and from where my next fix will arrive....

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this brew in a trade with akokandy, Thanks Adam!

16oz can served in a beer mug.

L - very dark brown color with a beige head that left some good lacing behind.

S - coffee, coffee and more coffee.

T - rich roasted coffee flavor is the most dominant taste in this brew, malts and hop flavors are mixed in but the coffee is the star of this show.

F - medium bodied with a smooth, creamy feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy, it's just a matter of how much coffee taste the drinker can stand, personally 2 in a sitting is enough for me.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Deep dark pour with lovely lacing as the beer disappears down the ole' gullet.

The sniffer detects iced coffee

Taste meets smell. Mild bitterness, chocolate, iced coffee, and a sugary quality.

My only real complaint with Surly beers is there is a watery mouthfeel to many of their beers. It's a rather small complaint considering I really enjoy their stuff.

Easy and enjoyable to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Coffee bean brown that becomes dark cherry with bright orange highlights when held up to my sunlit front window. The golden brown sugar colored head is several finger's worth of wonderfulness. It's loaded with character and is beginning to deposits gobs of moth-eaten lace all over the sides of the glass. Easy call.

I've never been a coffee drinker, but there's something about the smell of the good stuff that appeals to me. Marry that with the best American brown ale on planet Earth and you have sheer olfactory perfection. I haven't even tasted it yet and can already imagine lovers of both coffee and beer going apeshit over this brew.

My biggest fear was that the coffee would completely obliterate what makes Surly Bender so outstanding. The java beans do blur the complexities of the base beer, but then they could hardly do otherwise. Coffee Bender is *almost* as good as the straight stuff... probably better if you're a coffee aficionado.

This just might be the perfect morning libation. All good beer is good at any time of the day or night, but you get the idea. As often happens with coffee-added beer, the initial palate shock fades after a while and the rest of the flavors begin to shine. Those include: brown bread, cocoa, sugared pecans and a handful of leafy hops that brings each mouthful to a snappy close. Wow, that's pretty close to my description of Bender.

The mouthfeel is exceptional for the style and the ABV. It wouldn't be fair to expect any more chewiness from a beer that barely tops 5.0%. As with everything that Todd and Omar release, there's no chink in the armor.

I honestly didn't know that Coffee Bender would be this good. Then again, with Bender as a base beer, it would pretty hard to go wrong no matter what was added (within reason). The original is still the best, but damn!... this is outstanding ale.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to two kind traders, I've got enough joe in the house to revive a battle-weary army. And if they happen to be Vikings - well, I have enough sauce for them as well. Thanks Jeff, and thanks, Bill!

A: Like Bender, Coffee Bender pours a deep brown with a light brown head with good retention and pleasing lace. Crystal clear and with reddish-brown highlights, this one's a looker

S: Dried coffee grounds are the most prominent. Vigorous swirling brings out some of the base malts with caramel, a little bit of vanilla coming through

T: Opens up with plenty of black coffee, bitter in nature. The coffee completely overshadows Bender and it's nuanced brilliance. Towards the mid-palate, some sweeter malts are noticeable, cutting the coffee bitterness quite well. A little bit of vanilla comes through on the finish that's complex with sweetness, coffee bitterness and a pleasing dryness

M: Light in body with good carbonation and a great finish

D: I'm enjoying this, though I prefer the non-coffee version more.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this beer at the 2008 Oregon Brewers Festival and I am finally getting around to putting my review on BA. This beer had the longest line which can be risky at obf but this time it was worth the wait.

This beer had a fairly decent head a lot like the original bender.

As far as smell goes, the beer reminds me of walking downstairs and realizing that someone is already up before me making coffee. I was extremely excited after smelling it.

The taste is like an americano. For me, that is fantastic. I feel like so much of the flavor was coffee, but it was in no way too much. There were also some nutty notes to the flavor. The carbonation was perfect for this beer, not to heavy to take away from the flavor.

The beer doesn't leave as dry of a feeling as one would expect from all the coffee.

I cant say much about the drinkability as i was only given a 4 oz taster. But I can speculate that I could down 4 cans.

Ultimately I believe bender from futurama would truly be proud to share a name with such a fantastic beer.

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to pepsican for this in growling at the moon.

A: Poured a nice deep brown color with a finger of white head. There was some spotty lacing.

S: The coffee is there but different than any other coffee beer I have ever had. Very subtle. Iced coffee would be the best way to describe it using words but I feel that even that falls a bit short of how it actually smells.

T: Coffee right there. Much more bitter than regular bender but that is to be expected. Almost a little too bitter. The coffee works better than I though it would with a brown ale.

M: Really nice light body. I like that about the surly beers they all seem like you could session them for the rest of time.

D: I really enjoyed this. Just a really great coffee beer. Not the best I have had but a damn fine beer. I would be putting away cans of this on the regular if it were available near me. Again thanks go out to pepsican for the opportunity to try this.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

What better way to finish off a night of watching some live Bluegrass, than with a can of Surly Coffee Bender.

Pours a translucent brown in color with a good inch of head forming on the pour. To be honest it looks a bit thin. Smell is subtle but well done coffee. Taste is good. A near perfect balance between brown ale and coffee. The coffee doesn't dominate the underlying beer and is a complimentary flavor to the overall offering. Very well done. Easy and very smooth drinking for a coffee flavored beer. Another great one from Surly.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a very dark brown with a nice sized off-white head, almost a light brown. The head retention is great but the lacing only made about half the glass.

S: Surprise, strong coffee lying on-top of Bender.

T: The taste is quite interesting here. The coffee doesn't hit strong at any particular time, it just is there, but not in an overpowering way. It's like drinking a bender and getting the roasted malts, chocolate, and slight hops, but all the while having a coffee taste spiked into every individual flavor. If you like coffee, you'll probably love this, if not....

Overall: Amazing beer, great mouthfeel, well carbonated and light-medium bodied. Not as drinkable as Bender though, the taste wears you down a bit.

2.46/5  rDev -40.7%

16 oz can received in a trade as an extra. Looked interesting but I immediately thought of "Buzz Beer" from the old Drew Carey Show.

Poured very dark brown, not quite black. Head disappeared quickly with no lacing in the glass. The mouthfeel and appearance were about the only aspects that I found remotely appealing about this beer. The taste was acidic. The combination of coffee and beer smells very unappealing like a sink with dirty glasses of coffee mugs and beer glasses.

Judging by other reviews, people obviously like it so don't let me disuade you from giving it a try. This was my first and likely my last because I don't see my taste changing that much any time soon. In the mean time, I'll do my coffee and beer drinking at separate times.

Thanks just the same to Joe for including it as an extra, I'm always looking to try a new beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks goes out to Buebie for this brew.

Poured into my Surly glass a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy tan head, with lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with a good hint of coffee. The taste is bitter, malty, very nice touch of coffee notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, another excellent brew from Surly.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Surly Coffee Bender pours a finger of creamy tan foam over an almost opaque coffe-colored brew. The nose is fresh brew and mocha. The flavor is esspreso bean dominating toasty malts with a sharp grassy/herbal hop off the back. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and crisp, finishing dryish. In my opinion it's not as rich and complex as the original Bender, but on the other hand the original Bender isn't made with coffee either. Iced espresso plus alcohol equals satisfaction!

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

I love it. I've had two cans and my mouth wants more. There are actually a few coffee grounds in the bottom of my glass.

The coffee is very pronounced, in a good way. I didn't expect to like it this much. It's very dark, and has a healthy amount of foam when you pour it, but it goes away quickly.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A - pours a deep dark brown with ruby tints when held up to the light. There was 1/4 inch of tan foam that stuck around for a good bit and left lots of lacing

S - nice espresso coffee smell, probably one of the best smelling coffee beers i've had

T - nice strong coffee taste and thats about it

M/D - medium bodied and nice carbonation, overall a very nice tasting beer and I'm glad I have a six pack sitting in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Courtesy of DbHog. Served in my SA Sensory Pint. Poured a deep brown that appears maroon when backlit. Frothy one inch head slowly receded leaving behind thick bands of lacing. Robust, roasted coffee nose; incredible aroma with no charred characteristics. Taste follows nose but also detected a nutty quality in the mix with a touch of char at the finish. Mouthfeel was creamy, light to medium in body, with a mild carbonation. Incredibly easy drinking and flavorful. What an amazing session brew. I am quickly becoming a Surly fan.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

A. Dark brown with burgundy highlights. Nice looking tan head that really hangs around.

S. Who "woulda thunk" it - coffee and more coffee. This is the most intense smelling coffee beer my nose has come across. The aroma is very fresh too - just brewed if you will. Some dark chocolate emerges as it warms. Other components of this beer are not detectable.

T. A bit of a let down for me. The inviting coffee on the nose is a tad too bitter on the palate although to be fair, as it warmed, it lost some of its bitterness.

M. Medium bodied with good creaminess and perfect carbonation. Well done.

D. Quite drinkable from a ABV standpoint and overall feel. I love coffee but more "beer" here would be nice - one or two of these would be my limit.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Dark cola. Nice head. Leaves fast.

S - Coffee is HUGE. Only caveat, kinda on the 'stale' side of coffee.

T- Mostly coffee, again. Hard to discern much else. A little roasted malt, but the coffee again kinda stale and bitter.

M - Medium, good carb, balance is not all there.

D - Would tire.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

A BIG thanks to Scoobydank for hooking me up with this.

L: Pours a deep black/brown color that you can almost see through with a medium sized and medium bodied head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet malts, sweet chocolate, and a nice mild coffee aroma.
T: Tastes of sweet malts, nice chocolate flavors, and a very sweet/mild and smooth coffee flavor to round it out.
M: Very smooth, very nicely carbonated, the feel was absolutely perfect.
D: Extremely drinkable, I am sad I shared this with my friends since I can't get it up here.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Dark brown in color, only bits of translucency are on the edges. This is otherwise a very muddy looking beer. The head is a frothy, mocha pillow that falls shortly after being poured.

The fragrance of this beer is wonderful. There is a very powerful, potent brewed coffee sensation. Dancing within that are the scents of vanilla, caramel and cocoa powder.

Right away, a bitter coffee flavor hits. As it slides across your tongue, you experience a thick, gooey glob of molasses-like sweetness. The vanilla I smelled comes out in the flavor too, though slightly more buried.

As the beer warms up, it starts taking on a less bitter, more sweet flavor. The feel is still thick and almost chewy, but very refreshing. This beer couples well with a lot of desserts I make and also stands alone as a fine testament of alcoholic beverages. To sum it up in one word: yum.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured from pint can into snifter.
A: Pours a very dark brown with 1.5 inches of lighter tan head. Good retention.
S: Nice coffee aroma...not overpowering. A very true aroma (coming from a coffee fiend!).
T: Nice smooth coffee notes. Soft roasted malts in the background. Hint of chocolate comes through toward the end.
M: Very smooth and creamy feel. Too often coffee beers have an off-putting bitter note. This brew completely avoids that...well done!
D: A very good and very drinkable brew. If there is any knock against it, this one is not as complex as most Surly offerings. Still, a very fine beer from an excellent brewery. Seek it out!

Thanks to zealot for this potent potable. Both Fat Joe and I love your avatar, michael jack style.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Some sticky icky on the side of the pint, like ice on the windshield after the snow has been wiped away.

I'll have the maple frostin donut thank you. My lord this smells like coffee. Touch me in the morning and just walk away time to make the donuts man...

The coffee taste invades your mouth before you drink it. Roasted coffee, I think you can taste individually burnt coffee grounds in this. Smooth, creamy.

Coats your tongue like a frappe. Good ass beer. I think I can taste the cigarette's and early winter morning chill when drinking this beer. Excellent brew.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

A- Poured from the can nicely, thick 3 fingers of head, but very airy, settles down to a nice 1 finger of cream, up to the light has a deep cherry coke color. Very nice lacing down the glass, caramel cream color.

S- Definite roasted dark coffee, hints of chocolate...overly distinct in it's aromatic coffee smell.

T- Deep malt, very light and smooth, nice acidic bite of the coffee balanced with caramel, malt, very much like a smoked or chocolate stout...but also not specifically like anything else I have had...very clean.

M- Very balanced, smooth across the tongue, very low carbonation, creamy...very nice.

D- Drinkable, yes, if you enjoy a nice hint of coffee...and a very smooth texture, mellow, and light, very well balanced. I could put down these...and probably be up all night!

Another great beer by Surly...

Wow...I had to come back in and amend my review...this beer really hits me in two distinct ways....I feel like I just pounded a triple shot espresso of dark Italian roast...and like I mainlined some 180 proof...feel great...all to the head...very clean...feels very nice!!

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Can courtesy of KeefD who threw this in as an extra in a great trade. Thanks!

Dark brown with red highlights. Nice tan, two finger head with an aggressive pour. Slight Brussel's lace forms with each sip.

Smell is definitely rich, Sumatra coffee. Nutty, earthy with a slight acridness associated with moderately roasted fresh ground coffee.

Taste is full blown, French pressed iced coffee. Nicely done! Dark malts provide a slight sweetness - as if this coffee had one tablespoon of liquid sugar added to it. Bitterness comes from the roast as I have real trouble discerning the 45 IBUs. Okay, maybe I get a touch of green hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very nice at this ABV. Creamy - as a good iced coffee should be. A nice silkiness is also present.

Drinkability is great! I could see getting pulled in two different directions with this one after one too many.

Overall, a very nice beer from Surly!

Coffee Bender from Surly Brewing Company