Darkness | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This listing is ONLY for Darkness that is NOT barrel-aged, which excludes all of the 2014 bottles, all of which were aged in whiskey barrels. 2014 has a separate entry (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/141724/). Any subsequent years that have barrel aged variants, indicated by gold wax and lettering, also have their own separate entries.

Labels:

4.5

Ratings: 3,889 |  Reviews: 891
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review #100

Served from a 750ml bottle (2009), obtained via trade with Bulkman (a very generous trader and BA, thanks man!), into my two Darkness snifters (graciously picked up at Surly by kbutler1, thanks man!)at cellar temperature (12/25/09). I have been waiting some time to try this and I must say that it did not disappoint in the slightest.

A: Pours a very thick motor oil black with a one finger mocha colored head with great retention and lacing. Exceptional looking Imperial Stout with a head that would just not go away at all.

S: WOW! What a unique and complex aroma we have here. First roasted chocolate malts jumped out along with some dark fruits, including blueberry, some molasses as well in addition to some smokiness and coffee. Perhaps a hint of piney hops in there too. Not exactly sure what I was expecting from the aroma, but this one truly blew me away with its complexity and depth.

T: And i thought the smell was unique and complex. The tastes brings about a whole new meaning to complex. Everything from roasted chocolate malt, dark fruits, blueberry, smoke, caramel, molasses, coffee, bitter dark chocolate, currant, toffee, licorice and vanilla. Truly amazed at the depth of flavor in this Imperial Stout. The finish has a slight bitterness brought on by some piney hops.

M: Velvety thick and creamy with an appropriately low and creamy carbonation. A slight hint of alcohol in the finish, but really only when it is fairly warm.

D: Very drinkable for such a rich and full-flavored beer, but heaviness of the flavors, even though they are exceptional, will weigh you down at some point. The 10.3% abv. seems to be about as hidden as it possibly could while providing just a hint of warming as the beer is allowed to breathe.

Overall this is has got to be one the best and most unique Imperial Stouts out there. Not one particular flavor or tone dominates another allowing for exceptional complexity and uniqueness. Thanks again to Chuck for being so generous and helpful in allowing this experience to take place. And let's not forget Kevin for providing the Darkness snifters to fully round out this experience. A Must Try.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle #069. Obtained by my own two hands at the release event in December. Poured into my goblet of the same name.

A: pours viscous, heavy, with a coffee colored head that appears out of nowhere, frothy and attractive, lacing everywhere

S: buttery/nutty creaminess, next alcohol (as it warms) but starts out as banana and strawberry, malt in the middle and back with hops

T: creaminess upfront, hop bitterness in the back, intense roasted malt in the middle, intense dark chocolate, the creaminess rides subtly above everything

M: THICK, lively but subtle carbonation, smooth, terrific

D: intense, but oh so drinkable, definitely worth it

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Huge thanks go to phidelt for this one, very excited to try this one as it was #1 on my list of have to trys, so here we go,

A- as you would expect pitch black with a medium tan head, not the dark brown dark lord or abyss head though.

S- very similiar to dark lord with less sweetness, lot of smells here, sweet raisins, chocolate, roasted coffee, and some hop aroma as well. seems like its right where it needs to be a good balance.

T- I loved this, just like the smell it has the balance is exceptional. Starts out a little sweet then hits you with chocolate and coffee and finishes with a little hop bitterness. My favorite RIS so far!!!

M- Thinner than expected, but i have had dark lord very recently so this is expected.

D- I could drink this everyday as the huge variety of smells and flavors are all a little subdued but work flawlessly together.

Great beer and i am thrilled to have had the opportunity to try, now we just need a barrel aged version!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015, poured from bottle into a snifter.

L: thick, black, and viscuous. Pretty. Little head.

S: gadzoiks! brownie, chocolate, vanilla. fudgy and intoxicating.

T: vanilla, and complex notes normally associated with aged stouts (prune/plum, raisin, tobacco).

F: extremely full-bodied. Lacks a creaminess I want to make this a 5/5.

O: exceeded my expectations! probably the best not BA stout I've ever had. by a long margin.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Bomber poured into a snifter. No bottle date or abv but it looks like it's a 2016 vintage from the artwork.

Pour is complete perfection. Totally dark with a milk chocolate colored two finger head that slows goes down. Really nice lacing and the head lingers even after 5 minutes of pouring it. Incredible.

Smell is ridiculous also. Roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar, hickory spice. Blown away.

Taste is unsurprisingly amazing. Huge chocolate and molasses, roasted malt, creamy vanilla, oak / wood, and a lovely bitter coffee bean flavor. I'm really struggling not giving this a perfect score in the taste category.

Feel is perfect in my opinion. Thick with very little carbonation. The creamy head makes for an amazing mouthfeel.

Overall this is easily my favorite Russian Imperial Stout I've ever had. Honestly may be the best beer I've ever had. This is a flawless beer to me and an immaculate example of a RIS.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

First time with this one. Blown away. Pours thick. Surprising amount of carbonation with a medium tan head. (it could've just been a bad pour on my part) Mouthfeel was substantial and slick, although not crazy slick. Dark fruits, bit of coffee, some cherry... a lot going on. And it morphed often as it warmed.mThere was something new every few minutes. Super complex. Loved it. I'm normally a BA guy, but this beer is proof that BA can be overrated. This beer is brilliant as is.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

I was looking for something to drink tonight, and it suddenly occurred to me that I have never reviewed a Surly beer. Which is odd enough, since I am sure I spend more money on Surly than I do on any other brewery. And on top of that, I haven't cracked a bottle of 2012 Darkness yet -- and didn't even sample it on Darkness Day. So...

...2012 Darkness it is! I chilled one down, then cut through the thick red wax, and popped the cap. I have Darkness tulips, but prefer the wider, deeper (and laser-etched) Duvel glass, so I poured vigorously into the Duvel.

It's black. Light does not penetrate this beer. The room seems dimmer, now that I have poured it. And I don't know why I'm always surprised by this, but Darkness produces rather large bubbles. The head is on the thin side, with the afore-mentioned big bubbles, but lasts a long time, and leaves little to no lacing.

Good Lord, this smells fantastic. If there's a hoppier RIS, I have never encountered it. There are tropical fruits, stone fruits, crazy levels of dark chocolate, orange, grapefruit...I just keep burying my nose in this glass.

But enough of that. This needs to be tasted. And wow. I expect this to be sweet, but it really isn't. It has all of the flavors promised by the nose, and more. It finishes with such a satisfying resin and bitterness. It's so soft, yet not sticky.

I'd like to end by offering a wholly subjective ranking of 2007-2012 Darkness, each of which I have had multiple times, and each of which I have had this past year. My order of preference is: 2007, 2009, 2012, 2010, 2011, 2008. Capsule reviews: 2007 was sublime. 2011 did not age well -- think soy sauce. 2008 was too sweet. 2009 was great fresh, as well as every year since. 2010 was super-drinkable fresh, and is still good, and 2012 is too young to know where it's headed.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap at Cafe 28. First off, I have to say my intents were to go in and slam this beer. I’d had enough with Imperial Stouts in the Top 50 (this may seem hypocritical considering my past endeavors to further a certain example of the style). My injurious intents would soon be quickly assuaged by a single glass of beer...A friend and I headed to Cafe 28, where I had called ahead to ensure the presence of Darkness and to get reservations. They anticipated my arrival with a table and a couple pours.

The beer came to the table in a narrow chalice and it carried a luxurious finger of the most elegantly soapy, soft creamy dark-oak head. It was almost mahogany itself, gently sliding around on the top with large laces following the beer down the glass. The black gold itself absorb all light and possibly other objects with gravity, with just the slighest blood red corners. Beautiful. I put the chalice to my nose and was blown away by a bold, unique aroma. It’s a tough one to finger, because it was so original and something I’d not experienced. There were lots of reduced plums, raisins, dark cherry syrup, Ecuadorian estate chocolates and toasted wheat kernels. It was rather piquant and electrifying, with a real warming phenolic nose, but it wasn’t boozy or chemical-like, instead a real refined almost sherry or perfume signature. Whatever it was, it was like no aroma I’d wafted. Unfortunately, the pour was a little on the cold side, so the aromatics were slightly restrained and my the time the beer reached warmer climes, my olfactories had been saturated.

On the tongue, the texture was immediately astounding. It was so thick and creamy, yet not sticky. Sweet, but not cloying. Smooth and drinkable, yet not watery. Warm and glowing, but not too hot. Hoppy, but was not dry and parching. Some amazing alchemical processes had occurred hear. Brewing magic under the hand of a wizard had formulated a brew so prefect and desirable I couldn’t believe I was drinking it. I kept muttering, "best beer ever" and "damn near perfect." The flavor cascaded with everything and Imperial Stout drinker looks for. Mounds of freshly brewed Blue Mountains dark roast, Dagoba fair-trade dark chocolate, charred oak barrel edges, Italian cherry skins, Tahitian vanilla beans, drops of fresh organic farm cream and Italian espresso and then the dark fruits really came in. Moist rainier cherries, dried succulent wild bog cranberries, fresh raspberries from the stem, a hint of musky Thimbleberries, a cacophony of Bilberry syrup and Blueberry reduction, with a hint of sour cherries and final bit of pomegranate arils. On top of this, an electric wave of bright hops.

Again, the character of the hops so unique as to be something I have a tough time likening it to. It had a real shining lime zest and gin quality. High, thin and mercurial. These bold citrus oils danced over the brewing cauldron of darker flavors, complementing and intertwining magically. Then, the longest draw of a smack I could imagine. It kept going and morphing, with roads of Marcona almonds, toasted earth, light goat cheese rind and ground oak dust. From the sauna floor rose juniper branches and hints of sea oats. The real phenomenal effect of this beer was the ethereal combination of every desirable effect. Each aspect played off of every other one in near perfect harmonic balance. The aroma was different from the flavor and the hops had great interplay and the texture was just plain perfect. It reminded me much of the great singular and touchable quality of Westy 12, with all the individualisms and character of the world’s most perfect Imperial Stout. This is the solar center paradigm shift of Imperial Stouts for me.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

2011 Vintage. Thanks to Spencer for this bottle! Poured in to CBS snifter.

A - Poured ink black. Half a finger of medium brown head with good retention.

S - Roasted malts, smoke and a noticeable hop presence up front. A big semi-sweet chocolate aroma and a touch of licorice round out the nose.

T - Extremely robust flavour up front. Starts out with huge roast and semi-sweet chocolate flavours with a touch of smoke. Some sweet molasses and a fairly prominent hop profile enter in the middle. The finish is full of sweet chocolate and has a lingering bitterness. The ABV is very well hidden. The perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness.

M - Full body. Thick and viscous. Light carbonation.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours out a really dark black with no light coming through. One finger of small dark brown suds.
Raisin bread smell. Very doughy with hints of fruits, mango and pepper.
Taste is like sweet mango with sugar malts and raisin bread with just a hint of chocolate and a tinge of coffe aftertaste.
This is a well balanced and very refined drink.
Mouthfeel is wonderful and leaves just a tad of sugar behind. Love how it goes from sweet to salty then coffee bitter to dry sugar. This is a great RIS.
Drinkability is so high here because you cannot taste any alcohol or feel any in the back of the throat.

Bottle 237

Poured into Darkness glasses bought at Darkness Day. Pours a great brown/tan head with a great lacing and great retention. Black in color letting no light in whatsoever. Smell is hoppy with a good coffee background. The first smell when putting glass to nose was chocolate, then the hoppy/roasty flavor balanced out. The mouthfeel was unbelievably smooth and full bodied. Overall, I loved it. Was a great experience from sitting in the cold to drinking it.

Sampled at Happy Gnome's Firkin Fest

A - Completely opaque pitch black color. Smooth dark brown head retains at a half inch, its darker around the edge of the glass. Thin sheets of lacing.

S - Dark roasted coffee with sharp piny hops. Dark fruits, cream and light vanilla playin in the background.

T - An oily slick bitterness with a sweet dark roasted maltiness starts out the taste. Dark malts get even darker while a sweet cream contrasts simultaneously. Lots going on here and I probably only skimmed the surface... I need more.

M - Thick consistency with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Excellent balance of sharp hoppiness and deep roasted maltiness make for a very unique and flavorful experience. More please.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2008 release.

Like Travloh, I couldn't wait. My friends and I waited in line for this and the reward needed to be immediate! Drank it tonight as an after-dinner sipper.

I let the bottle warm up a bit from the fridge cut open that wax, and served it in goblets.

A: A wonderful example of an RIS. It poured well and left a caramel covered head that soon settled. It was pitch black, I held it up to a light and squinted and could see nothing. The foam left no rings as it was drunk, it slowly settled back into the beer.

S: The first thing we smelled as we opened it was a strong, sweet molasses smell, combined with a fruit note. It was overpowering the other smells, but as we let it breathe, I got the chocolate smell as well. The only reason it's a 4.5 is because the sweet smell was overpowering for quite a while.

T: Great. This was aggressive, but very well balanced. The dark coffee/chocolate flavors of the malt, highlighted by a sweet molasses/fruit taste. Hops were present but well integrated into the flavor. A LOT of flavor profiles I can't even begin to describe, but I can say, it's a lot more complex, and dare I say better than the Bourbon County Stouts and Old Rasputins I've had recently in preparation.

M: Very smooth. GD Yeti was very thick and oily feeling to me, and while Darkness felt substantial, it was very smooth to drink. The best sensation of all is the warmth you feel in your throat and chest after drinking, the similar feeling I get after drinking a liquor like scotch. Very nice warmer on the coldest day of the year so far in Minnesota.

VERY smooth to drink, which leads me to...

D: I can see why people are warned on Surly's site. The ABV creeps up on you. The beer is so enjoyable, and the flavors mask the alcohol so well, that you can sip for quite a while.

I was worried I wouldn't make the cut, but was #617. I was worried the beer was overhyped, but it's not. This is incredible. I wish I had sprung for the 6 bottles instead of the 4 I bought, but hopefully someone else got the chance to enjoy it.

Cheers to whoever the lucky party is!

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

Darkness 2011 on tap at Stout's Pub in Falcon Heights, MN. Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter (per my request).

A: Beautiful inky black with one of the most dense heads I have ever seen. Lace is a timeline of pure savoring bliss.

S: Bitterness over dark fruit. Light pipe tobacco, alcohol, candi sugar, tamarind.

T: Yes. This is what beer is all about. While it drinks like an aged port it holds up the beer end with dark malt profile. So complex in flavor, I am sure a million descriptors are necessary. Raisin, rum, merlot grape, currant, leather, charcoal, dates and figs, coffee-like bitter, pumpernickel, sherry, a little hazelnut or pecan, molasses, cherry tobacco...I keep finding new elements here as the beer warms and airs out.

M: Rich and lucious. Syrupiness isn't overbearing and carbonation is so tight that this is a physical pleasure to the palate as much as it is a (taste) sensory one.

D: Overall, easily the best of the style I've ever had. One of the best beers I have ever had. One of only a handful of brews I have ever had a guttural moan involuntarily emerge from my lips upon nearly every delicious sip. I don't give 5's easily, Surly has earned them.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

2009 Vintage... Could not wait any longer... This has been tempting me.

A: Pours black with a tan head that doesn't want to go away. The foam sticks to every part of the glass it touches. One cannot see through this beer. This is Darkness.

S: Roasty as the fires of hell. Coffee, molasses, chocolate, licorice, and slight boozines dominate the aroma, followed by some slight hop notes.

T: At first, the malt comes with a blast of chocolate, espresso, caramel, molasses, and anise. Dried dark fruit and caramel are in the center. It finishes dry with a slightly bitter hop profile. Simply the best release of this beer to date.

M: Full bodied and viscous, this beer has it all. Body, flavor, and a mind of it's own.

D: If it weren't so limited and so strong, I would drink this all night. The best Russian Imperial Stout I have ever tasted. I can't wait to see what they taste like in a few years.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

'09 pour at the Feb Portland BA tasting at Beer Mongers. This might be the most balanced RIS I've ever had. Hops are present in the nose and in the first part of the taste, with an amazing roaste, chocolate, and coffee synthesis immediately following. Incredibly unique and pleasurable. This absolutely delivers on the hype. Awesome beer.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

My 2nd bottle from Darkness Day at the Surly brewery, #207.

This pours black as the ace of spades with a nice tan head. It couldn't be any more tempting. Nice lacing on the glass when drinking too.

Smells like dark chocolate and coffee with a slight whiff of hops.

The darkness is all I could want in an imperial stout. The taste is thick with chocolate, rising with a slight bite of hops, and then finishing with a subtle hint of bitter coffee. Mouth feel very well mixed between the smoothness of a stout and the bite of a hoppy beer.

The last bottle was consumed in an imperial stout tasting with some friends; that included: Darkness, Abyss, Speedway Stout, Poseidon, Sam Smith, Rogue, Yeti, Bourbon County, and Old Rasputin. The darkness was my favorite with the Abyss a close second. What really sets the Darkness apart is its unique hop flavors (like other surly beers) and how smoothly integrated all the flavors are making an outstanding beer.

I can't wait for next year! (not to mention all the other great beers from Surly in between)

Darkness from Surly Brewing Company