Smoke | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Ebony-hued, Smoke wafts out of the bottle and into your senses, borne on the wings of European traditions, wrapped in American innovation. Lager-brewed, like any true Baltic Porter, with smoked malts from Bamberg, Germany, the home of Rauchbiers, then mellowed by oak-aging. Black malt flavors mesh with notes of raisins, plums, figs and licorice with the subtle smoke on the side, for a complex and luxurious, yet silky smooth drinking experience. It's a sipper at Alc. 8.2% by VOL., but everyone knows you can't have Smoke without fire!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2007

4.96/5  rDev +21.6%

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

This is an exceptionally good beer that was on my elusive list of things to track down, I had all but given up hope when growler sales were stopped, but go figure the day they are someone offers me a trade! Hell yeah. 64oz growler at cellar temp, this one was poured into multiple pint glasses and consumed on 01.11.2009.

The pour was very big. Deep, Dark brown in color with no light coming through this one at all. A rich tan head of three inches came up over the top of the glass and took a few moments to settle down, meanwhile some very nice lacing was developing on the sides and the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich, dark fruit notes. Lots of prunes and plum smells coming off of this, with roasted malts, and a nice smoke smell. Not your huge campfire peat, this was massively complex with hints of bourbon like alcohol bouncing around in here as well. The flavor, well was outstanding. I really cannot explain how good this came off for the style. Rich roasted malts, hints of chocolate, dark fruits, hints of alcohol and a wonderful smoke flavor that came through perfectly in the finish. Smooth, mellow feel, with a nice full bodied and well carbonated texture. This was a big beer, there was no hiding that, however it was a superb sipper, just perfectly well balanced and enormously smooth, I sipped on this one all day long and loved every second of it.

Overall I cannot say enough good things about this one, it was one of the best Baltic Porters I have ever had and tasted more complex then just about anything else in the category. This is a must get that it looks like you will have to go to MN to go get now.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

On-tap @ the Darkness release..

For a beer titled very blatantly "Smoke" I expected this to taste like a charcoal briquette wrapped in bacon... Needless to say, I was surprised at my first sip to find that this is one very eloquent & well-thought out beer. The smoked malt flavor is subtle and provides lingering notes rather than the punch-in-the-face that most smoked brews offer.

I had no idea of the abv when I was consuming this nectar by the glass...but I assumed it was in the 5-7% range...I find out now it's nearly 10%...amazing. That being said, it's so delicious and easy-to-drink. The soft woody flavors & smoked malts are complex and make this unlike any beer out there. I need another chance to pick apart the flavors a bit more...hopefully this will be widely available to the public soon.

there's just one thing I'd like to say to the folks at Surly...is there anything you can't do??

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Dark chocolate colored pint with thin off white lacing, ok head retention

S-Campfire! Nice smokey aroma reminiscent of cooking over a wood fire in the fall, hints of toasted malt and cacao

T-Wow doesn't disappoint! Sweet and smokey like cherry wood smoked bacon, big malty flavor of chocolate and dark Munich malt

M-Full bodied, mild carbonation, lingering smokiness

O-Excellent smoked beer, very complex and a delight to taste, yet altogether very drinkable and balanced,would gladly have another. Don't know how true this beer is to the Baltic porter style, I think its really in its own category or should be in some specialty hybrid category of smoked beers.

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

I drank this beer at Darkness Day, and wrote down all my opinions and took a while a get it here. I was a volenteer, pouring beer off the brite tanks(where the beer is carbonated).

I poured this beer into my darkness goblet. We sold more of this beer than any other, 85% of the beers we poured were smoke.

It pours a dark brown/black color, with a little bubbly head, not a lot but, sticky. It smells like roasted coffee and smoked malts, lots and lots of smoke. It tastes like liquid smoke was added, or lots of peat smoked malt was used. Its smooth and drinkable, I had probably 6-8 of them during my time pouring them
It was overall a GREAT beer, one of the best I have ever had, maybe it was just the freshness of the beer, or the fact that I was drinking it at the brewery, but it was sooo good.

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%

Dark black color with a one foamy tan head which fades somewhat quick. Smells of smoke, sweet malt, raisins, plums, figs, and licorice. The flavor mirrors the aroma perfectly. There is a nice combination of smoke an sweet malt which are great together. Neither is overly strong, but both are very good.

Medium bodied, smooth, easy to drink, and the alcohol is well hidden. I could drink this all the time with no problem.

Smoke from Surly Brewing Company