Mild | Surly Brewing Company

Added by feloniousmonk on 01-20-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 193
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

On-tap at Grand Central Cafe in St. Paul on 4 April 2014.

Pours clear medium brown with orange tinges. One finger of off-white yellowish head, okay retention and lacing. Not bad, not amazing.

Smell is a little thin. Faint malts, like toasted wood, a touch of biscuit, and a light airy high-nose smell that I can't pin down.

Taste is rich and smooth. Malty, toasted, a bit of brown sugar. It's subtle, but I really like it.

Feel is excellent. Light body, medium-low carbonation that provides tingle up-front before relaxing to give the flavors the freedom to express themselves. IMO, high carbonation works well with robust flavors, and subtle flavors do better with lower carb. This definitely exemplifies that idea.

One of my favorite (non-sour) session beers. Smooth, subtle, flavorful, and well-crafted.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

On-tap at the Happy Gnome.

Appearance: Clear brown, with a good sized head, good lacing as I drank.

Smell: Bready, biscuits.

Taste: Biscuits and toasted bread with a touch of tea-like bitterness. Reminds me of a very light octoberfest beer.

Mouthfeel: Light, but not watery.

Drinkability: Goes down easy, definitely sessionable. It would be interesting to have a keg of this at a party instead of Miller Lite.

Went over to the Gnome to try Surly's latest. I've never had a mild before (since FFF's Pride and Joy isn't really a mild), so this was a new experience. It was pretty good, and I definitely could have had several if I didn't have other things to do. I've heard milds are even better on cask, that would be interesting to have with this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Draft. Served at Cafe 28 on 1/31/11 for the celebration of 5 years of business. Poured into a snifter a darker caramel brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head, at first I thought I had been given Bender but the aroma/look soon made me realize I was given the correct beer. Not sure why I thought this was going to have a lighter look to it. The aroma is more pungent than I would have expected with a light roast coffee and chocolate nose. Medium/Light mouthfeel. Very robust flavor with the roast and coffee notes, some mild bitterness as well. Very flavorful and enjoyable. I really wish this was one that they did all year round.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at ChurchKey.

Pours a dark brown/nearly black with a pretty big fluffy tan head. The smell is nice and roasty with some caramel malts also factoring in. The flavor really nails it: it really toes the line between roasty and flavorful and being sessionable and refreshing - just how a dark mild should taste. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin-bodied, but that suits the style just fine. I'm a big fan of dark milds and this really is one of the best out there.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

A= pours a mild brown color... haha clever me. Its a deep amber color. The head is an off white and suprisingly big being on tap at the place I got it from. A nice finger on it that leaves some sketchy lacing.

S= smells a lot like summits great northern porter. Coffe a little roasty and chocolaty. The best description I can give is great northern porter smell.

T= tastes like a mild great northern porter. Pretty good actually. A little coffee and chocolate but a real smooth mild flavor. A little watery though.

M= slick and clean sort of. Watery but its a mild. The flavor doesn't stick too much.

D= very high. Delicious brew for a mild. Smooth flavor and clean finish

4.07/5  rDev +2%

The pint glass came with little head - although lacing was evident. Smelt of toasted barley and had a nice subtle barley taste to it with a firm malty body and no bitterness. Seeing as it is 4.2% nobody should be offended if I call this a great session beer.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

Ever since I got into beers and learned about Surly I was always curious about Surly's version of a mild. Furious and Bender are so incredible that I can only assume their Mild would be bomb.com. Right? Plus I LOVE a good mild. Drank from a Surly pint glass at the #12th best bar in America (which is bullshit because I've been at 3 of the top 10 and S&H is considerably better...).

Appearance- Pours a fairly dark brownish crimson with a somewhat small off-white head. A damned nice cap and collar are left almost the entire beer but not a whole lot of lacing is left.
Smell- Super toasty and nutty. It's got a sort of toasted hazelnut like nose. I know I'm gonna love this because the nose is simple and solid. Like it should be.
Taste- Roasted and toasted as the nutty malt is spot f'n on. I know I've used this before in my homebrewed Mild but it's slightly more aggressive. This is what I wanted mine to be. Some light chocolaty tones creep in as does a touch of smoke. The hops are slightly more noticeable than you'd fully expect from a mild, but this is Surly. A light citric bitterness creeps in the finish with maybe a hint of lemon.
Mouthfeel- Pretty light but able to hold its own all things considered. Medium carbonation that prickly and nice adds to the greatness of this beer.
Drinkability- Must confess. I glanced at the other reviews of this beer as I am reviewing it and was shocked at the scores. I guess I'm a Surly fanboy for the most part (minus shitty Darkness) but this is the best beer I've had from them. I'm far from the style police but this brew is on point. Flavorful, drinkable, and just plain tasty!

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Draft at Churchkey DC

Appearance: brown pour with decent head and lacing

Smell: toasted malt, breat and biscuits.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, although a bit sharp and chocolatey. Slightly watery

Mouthfeel: thin, not much substance here

Overall: not particularly impressive, although nice it is 4.20%. Would potentially be better on cask.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

OK, so this is an interesting story, at least to me. I stop in at Stub and Herb's, specifically for this beer, and was told before it was even poured that Mild is now being brewed with coffee. I hadn't heard this, but took the bartender's word for it. Pours a dark amber color, nearly brown in the middle, with a small off-white head. Aroma is, well, mild with a touch of coffee, some toffee, and caramel sweetness. Taste follows suit. I was surprised with the coffee flavor in the background. Light caramel, some breadiness, and no bitterness. Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation. Again, I was really surprised by the coffee presence in this beer. It was almost like a watered down coffee bender without any of the dark/roasted maltiness in there. Good, easy drinker.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

On tap at Old Chicago in Plymouth.  Toffee malt nose, pleasant all the way. A hint of roasty elements. Taste is subtly chocolate, fully caramel taste and light roasted malt. Bittering hops keep palate light and clean, very malty, yet light and refreshing. Darn
Good.

This mild greets you with a deep rich color that lets you know exactly what you are getting in for. Dry flavor with hearty caramel and toffee overtones. The perfect complement to a salty or smoky dish. Great example of a little explored style.

Poured a clear mahogany brown with a nice little off-white head, stays foamy with some decent lacing. After warming a bit, the aroma comes out more, malts are prominent in caramel, bready and biscuity tones, some faint herbal hop hints, still fairly faint, but nice. The taste is a little more broad, but still fairly modest, biscuit and caramel malts, Earl Gray tea, a sense of hops but nothing finite, just flirting impressions. The mouth is very smooth, a very subtle carbonation, a slightly dry finish, a session beer if there ever was one. I downed two of these in rather short time (encouraged by the release of Two), and could imagine doing so often. Also, I would love, LOVE, to see this on cask. That would truly be fantastic. As it stands, i fine brew, out of the blue, for the Surly crew.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the Brew House into a tulip

A: dark brown with a thin khaki crown that subsides
S: chocolate, nuts, toasted barley, a little wheat or rye spiciness, faint herbal hops, whisper of citrus
T: follows the nose, a little light and milky sweet at the end.
M: best part of this one: moderate carbonation, creamy, and a little lift from the hops on the back. balance of different flavors is really great. A little thin, maybe, but not too much.

Overall: Considering the abv, this has a lot of flavor and body. It isn't over the top or big and bold, but it is fantastic.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Replicates a true British session ale style. Pure malt based brown/caramel hued ale. Some english toffee notes, with minimally noticed aroma. Medium-light mouthfeel, absolutely a beer to take down midweek.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Apparently this style, while not sounding very exotic, is extremely hard to come by in the states. I jumped at the chance to knock this style off my list, and who better to brew it than Surly?

The beer is brown colored with ruby highlights when backlit. A light khaki head is served with the brew, but doesn't stick around for very long. Doesn't leave a ton of lacing, but there is some. Looks like a tasty beer, but the lack of head and retention knock down the score for me. Maybe I'm being too harsh and my standards are unrealistic to the style, I guess I'll have to try more of the style to find out.

The nose comes right out with the caramel malt. Sort of sweet, but earthy at the same time. Definitely malty, with little to no hop presense.

Tastes mild and subdued, but hey what did you expect. I wasn't expecting a palate blaster so this is a nice surprise. Sweet malts and earthy tones blend well nicely with subtle hints of cocoa and toffee. A biscuity maltiness dominates.

Light and crisp, lighter than I expected. I know it's a mild, but it looks heavier than it actually is. Drinkability is pretty good.

This one is hard to judge. I'm a huge Surly fanboy, and maybe they are trying to make a more approachable crossover brew. If thats the angle, they have succeeded ten-fold. This is a great tasting, easy drinking, sessionable dark mild. For my intro to the style, I was impressed and enjoyed it.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

Garnet to brown colored with a good creamy light brown head. Very good head retention and lacing... better than what I was expecting. Aroma is dominated by dark malts and some coffee notes, with caramel/toffee only in the background.

Taste is... very similar to Bender? Except for the hop profile which takes a back seat here. Light malt backbone with ample dose of specialty malts... a good kick of roast without the tartness that comes along with it. Finishes dry with a long roasty aftertaste.

Good carbonation and good mouthfeel... I haven't had any other mild before but knowing Surly I don't expect it to be "true-to-style". However, the fact remains that it's a very good beer and an excellent low alcohol option. The taste rivals bigger brown ales and this beer is almost a junior stout.

Very easy to have a few... I can't recall the last time I had five pints of the same beer in the same sitting!

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Hmm, good appearance, no real head but a nice color and very clean looking. Smell and taste are very similar. Light on the malt but some decent flavor from it. Nutty and bitter chocolate with just a hint of dried fruit. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, as I mentioned the malt was a bit light. Drinkability is very nice.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Grumpy's in Roseville, 3/24/11.

Appearance-Dark Brown with garnet highlights. Brilliant clarity. Modest off-white head with good retention.

Aroma-Malt-light coffee roast, toasted bread crusts, hint of chocolate, and light oaty aroma. Very faint earthy spicy hops. Some secondary biscuit and bread notes as well.

Flavor-Malt palate similar to the aroma-light roast, coffee, faint chocolate, and bread crusts. A little bit of acrid malt in the finish along with medium low earthy hop flavors. Finish is dry from low hop bitterness and acidic roast.

Mouthfeel-Medium light body with moderate carbonation. Not bad, but a little thin-this would probably be excellent on cask.

Not bad, but like I said, a little thin on the palate. Milds were meant to be served from a cask, and this beer would certainly benefit from that treatment. Nonetheless, quite drinkable and at 4% alcohol, this is a pint you could stick with all night.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

A see through brownish toffee color, just off white foamy head. Aroma-light, caramelly brown sugar, notes of vanilla, biscuity malt, light earthy hops. Similar taste, lightly toasted malt, caramel, brown sugar, notes of coco, herbal hops have a little tangy zest and provide some balance. Some fruitiness in the aftertaste reminisant of cherries or grapes. Some almost buttery and nutty notes in the finish as well.

Overall: similar to many winter warmers. Light and not all that complex, but great for a malty session beer. It's not just a clever name, if you will.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting forever to try this beer. I'm mostly an "at home" drinker, so it has been difficult for me to get out and find a place with this brew. I tried Busters, but they were out. Tonight I made it to the great Stub and Herbs and was able to grab a pint.

This beer is presented to me in a standard pint glass. A light white head crowns this ruddy brown-red beer. Very beautiful. Like a dark amber piece of jewelry. I don't get the cloudiness others have witnessed. Not overly carbonated, which is what I believe is appropriate for this style. The aroma is very unique. Earthy, with a tobacco like smell. I hate tobacco, but for some reason this aroma appealed to me. There are some toffee undertones.

I was extremely impressed w/ the flavor of this beer. Extraordinary maltiness, unlike nothing I've experienced in an ale. Great toffee and caramel flavors are present. There was even a hint of chocolate. There is a hidden herbal, earthy flavor, kind of like a dark tea. The hops are there in the bitterness, but they are really the supporting cast here. The mouthfeel was lovely. Nice medium body w/ a clean finish.

I've never had this style before. I've read about it in my homebrewing books and craved it. Now I know why. This will be my basis for comparison. And what a great beer to compare others to. Thank you Surly for yet another great beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from tap at Brit's Pub in Minneapolis into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber with thin white foam that faded fast and left minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts, toffee, caramel with a little hops underneath. Has a good welcoming smell.

Taste: All about the darker malts with this one. Slightly sweet with big malty and biscuit flavors. Some brown sugar and caramel in the mix, as well as a little hops bite for balance. A good hearty malt flavor to this one.

Feel: Light to medium body with soft carbonation. Finishes smooth and a bit dry.

Overall: Good flavors with a low ABV makes this a great session beer. A good interpretation of the style. The extra hops flavors balance the big malts and make it a great easy-drinking brew.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

On-tap at the Blue Nile at the Surly Three release party.

A: Pours a deep brown, much darker than I expected it to be. Small off-white head with okay retention and not much lacing. Looks very nice though

S: Very mellow with malty tones accompanied by earthy tones and some caramel/toffee.

T: Mellow and mild of course with strong malts and caramel flavor with some small earth tones and a little bit of clove. For the style it's very good, although mild, as it should be, its complex and delicious!

Overall: Great tasting beer with moderate carbonation that made almost perfect feeling and amazingly drinkable, something I could sip on all day long. Very impressive for the style, another great one from Surly.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Hopleaf-- I was looking for Furious, but I won't turn my nose up at this either.

Pours gold and slightly cloudy with a finger and a half of very fine carbonation. The aroma is floral, herbal hops, much more British than American (which is fitting, I guess, for a bitter.) The flavor opens up with light bready/grainy malts, with a thin mid-palate and a short and strongly herbal hoppy finish with mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is quite light and highly carbonated; fitting for the style, but not my personal preference. Drinkability is excellent, this is a true session beer in the original English sense of the word.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL.

Aroma:Nicely malty and dark.

Appearance:Brown in color, ok head.

Taste:Tons of dark malts, caramel, chocolate, coffee. This tastes hugely malty.

Mouthfeel:Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability:Fantastic tasting beer, refreshing and flavorful. As a homebrewer, I find this beer reminiscent of prefermented wort.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

I think when reviewing beers that have 4.2% in mind you certainly have to keep the style in mind. This was had at a Surly event that included a sample of the mystery cask beer - which turned out to be a scotch ale.

A: Brown bodied with red accents. A light brown head that wasn't there for long as the bar tender handed my the pint glass.

S: The nose of this beer was primarily malt, caramel with a sliver of cocoa. What a well mannered boy, but please give me more.

T: There is a lot of flavor for being just 4.2% ABV. The caramel/cocoa that I smelled in the nose is evident in the taste with the caramel dominating most of the flavor. There is a coffee like bitterness to this beer, rather earthy. The finish doesn't linger, sort of reminds me of a mild cocoa cereal.

M: Appropriate for the style - light-medium bodied.

D: This beer has session written all over it, but in Surly's case I'd more towards the Hell especially in the summer months. A good job of creating flavor from a low alcohol beer.

I wonder what will come of this cask scotch ale sample I had?

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast