Surly / Sun King - Electric Sombrero Of Death
Surly Brewing Company

Surly / Sun King - Electric Sombrero Of DeathSurly / Sun King - Electric Sombrero Of Death
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes: Brewed in collaboration with our friends from Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis, Electric Sombrero of Death is inspired by the dark, malty lagers brewed south of the border. This version dials up the wattage with an imperial malt backbone, a double dose of dry-hopping, and quality time spent in tequila barrels.
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 16
3.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a Spiegelau lager glass from a one pint can on September 10, 2019. Brewed in collaboration with Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis. Inspired by the dark, malty lagers brewed south of the border. This version dials up the wattage with an imperial malt backbone and a double dose of dry-hopping. Aged in tequila barrels.

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

Glad i only bought a single. Pours a dark copper color with a tan head . smell had baked bread some fig and prune. Tasste was bland with dried dark fruit and baked bread malts. Mouth feel did not show the ABV or the DDH or the tequila barrel. this was a drain pour.

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Finally found a single 16 oz. can of this small batch, something odd enough that I wasn’t wild about dropping $18 on a four pack. Split with my wife.

Surprised at the dark pour: very dark red, no “American Adjunct Lager” here. Smells like air. Clean air.

Electric Sombrero of Death pushes every dull button I have. There’s a tiny touch of the barrel, a bit of brown sugar & caramel, with the sugar giving it a mildly abrasive mouthfeel. I suppose one could drink a lot of this ultimately inoffensive beer, if one cared to.

I do not. This beer reminds me that I’ve had some killer lagers lately, & this ain’t it, even as a modern update/hybrid. Mark missed widely. Not a good beer.

1.46/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Likes like a glass full of Montezuma's revenge. Doesn't have a specific smell/aroma, tastes like absolutely nothing, everything was very muddled, it's like they tried to hard and added too many ingredients and they all canceled each other out, then they barrel agaed it for what i'd guess was 10 minutes, no boozyness or spicy/tart/ tequila flavor... had this one three time to give the absolute benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe my palate was off the first...or second time. Nothing all three times. Really wanted to love this one. The price was the nail in the coffin at $18 a four pack. Worst surly beer since... welll i can't remember. Horrible. Oh i forgot until i read the other reviews - "double dry hopped" yeah where are they, i don't want a lager to blow my socks off with hops or bitterness but again, nothing - it's all muddled.

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Unusually dark for a Mexican Lager. It is dunkel like. A finger of head forms and has good retention. For being double dry-hopped, I pick up zero hops. I also pick up zero barrel qualities. It smells like nothing. Flavor is likewise underwhelming. It is clean I will give it that. But all of the suppuratives on the can label, has gone missing. Nice pilsner malt flavor is about all there is. Does not feel or drink like a 9% ABV beer. Feels about half its weight but the carbonation is well matched. Another Surly miss (I expect more misses than hits nowadays). Lucky I was able to buy a single can or otherwise I would of been very upset buying a 4-pack of this.

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Bright auburn under a 1" beige head with a fine bead and good retention

S: Some tequila, some barrel, clean fermentation character, rich malt, bread crust and bread crumb.

T: Rich malt flavors lead - bread crust, light toast, slight dark sugar - seasoned with tequila, alcohol and some oak with provides a light astringent touch on the finish.

F: medium plus body and medium carbonation, mild alcohol warming, nothing hot or harsh.

O: In the mid-70's I spent time in Mazatlan living on Tres Equis and street food and this beer is what Tres Equis aspired to be. I love I and I hopes they continue to make it.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

I wanted to like it more than I did. For a Mexican style lager it hit a lot of marks. Great color and clarity. Good head with fine tan bubbles. The ddh feels gimmicky and all marketing as I'm not detecting a lot of dry hop or hop for that matter as it feels like it is competing or being covered up by the tequila barrel. Hides the 9% well and drinks easy. For a bc small batch I expected a bit more from this one. Sort of muddled over all. Not regretting trying, but not going back for another.

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I always look forward to Surly's 'BC Small Batch' offerings. This is another great one. Normally I would shy away from a 'Mexican Lager aged in Tequila Barrels' but I know if it's a Small Batch that it will be good (and worth the price.) Great taste & hides the fact it's an Imperial well. Long Live Brooklyn Center Brewery!

Surly / Sun King - Electric Sombrero Of Death from Surly Brewing Company