Hell | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Not unlike a Zwickel Bier from Germany, Hell is not filtered and fermented with lager yeast. American hops takes a back seat to the Pils malt sweetness and fresh bread aroma. The color is well... hell (Deutsch for light). It's fiendishly drinkable, and you don't have to sell your soul to get another.

Added by feloniousmonk on 08-26-2008

Ratings: 1,148 |  Reviews: 332

4.9/5  rDev +26.6%

It says lager, but the hops make it taste like a great IPA, not like the really hoppy IPAs that make you feel like you are cheweing on a pine cone, but a REAL IPA. But the color is more like Bud Light, so people won't be afraid to drink it. I could drink it all summer

4.84/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very light tasting beer. Love this during summer time. Pours a clear golden color with white head. Cereal grains and floral notes on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes clean and crisp. This does not taste like a lager, but more like a light pale ale and dry finish. Thumbs up!

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

I'm not a huge fan of lager beers because of their general lack of flavor and body. Hell is an amazing beer. Hell is one I would reach to over many other beers of styles that I prefer at any time.

In the warm summer months when refreshment as well as flavor and beer enjoyment is required HELL is unmatched for me. This is my favorite summer beer. Everything you want from a sit on the deck beer in lightness, refreshment and drinkability but with taste.

Grab one I think you will be surprised.

note: I rated this comparing it to what it is supposed to be not in comparison to other styles such as DIPA and Imperial Stouts etc.. For a lager beer it really hits on all cylinders.

4.76/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but this is my overall favorite Surly Beer. The taste is full, without being overpowering. The after taste has what they call a bread like flavor, and to me it goes well with anything from Pizza, to Steak, an absolute winner!! This is a Beer I could have everyday. If only Surly could bring the price down a buck or so.

4.72/5  rDev +22%

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Helles is one of my fav euro styles and this is by far one of the best examples I've tried. A little more hoppy than I expected...similar to 3 Floyd's Gorch Fock, also an excellent twist on a Helles lager.

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

I picked up a 4 pack from Edina Liquor off of York Ave across from Southdale.

Appearance --- a nice light golden yellow with about a finger worth of white head

Smell --- malts, a bit of grass and grain

Taste --- bread like, malts, with a faint citrus

Mouth feel --- crisp early and finishes soo smoothly, has a light body and a bit of carbonation

Overall --- when the weather warms up during the year, this is the style I look for and Surly did a great job with their take on it… I will be coming back for more and more! I am thankful to live in the Twin Cities, where this is a fairly accessible beer in the liquor stores out here. I may not be the biggest fan of Surly’s year-round line up, but they hit some real home-runs with their seasonals

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

from kegatron

Rich golden brite beer with superb foam.

Rich fresh malts galore. Toasty, with some lager sulphur compounds. Simply delicious. Clean, just about as sweet as grainy bread. Zippy Saaz bitterness that lets the malts win in the end. Simple and to the point, I like it!

Mouthfeel is light crisp and refreshing. Great balance of lightness and simplicity with refinement and thought-provoking challenge. Another knockout from a great brewery. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Sweet Corn bread. Very smooth, perfect yard work beer. Fantastic

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured into a pint glass
Sold out in one hour from the Four Firkins? Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A: Aggressive pour yields 3 fingers of pillowy white head with great retention. Crystal clear pale straw liquid. Love all the head!

S: Assertive herbal hop triumphs over a still noticeable bready malt. Very clean. Delightful.

T: OMG! Complex and flavorful hearty bread to start. Perfect amount of bittering to balance it. Best lager I've had to date? Top 3 definitely. No distracting tastes like I've experienced in other lagers (metallic especially).

M: Crisp, bright, well bittered.

D: Strong. Gimme more! I would order another and definitely buy another four pack or two. I do see what all the fuss was about. This is a beer to be tracked down and enjoyed on a warm day in the sun.

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%

I love this as an easy drinking lager with flavor and character in the summer. It is a little bready but has some pronounced citrus hop flavor ( a lot of orange and tangerine).

Excellent texture and body....almost creamy but still crisp...lower ABV makes this perfect for sessioning...the only issue I have is the pricing. I'd love to buy this by the case for the summer if it was priced along the lines of what Summit EPA is but it is priced like a DIPA, etc and I just can't afford to buy this because I will drink too much of it at that price. A DIPA I can rationalize because those are sippers...2-4 a night tops....shit this I could drink 10-12 of throughout the day and would if it was priced like Summit EPA (12 pack of 12 ouncers for 10.99 at some places).

I realize this probably takes a lot of skill to produce this type of quality lager and the price in theory may be justified but I really think this could really become a go to beer for many if it was priced a little lower and marketed to the macro crowd. I could see this being Surly's Spotted Cow but only 100 times better....

Hell from Surly Brewing Company