Hell Lager | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Not unlike a Zwickel Bier from Germany, Hell is not filtered and fermented with lager yeast. American hops takes a back seat to the Pils malt sweetness and fresh bread aroma. The color is well... hell (Deutsch for light). It's fiendishly drinkable, and you don't have to sell your soul to get another.

Added by feloniousmonk on 08-26-2008

Ratings: 1,160 |  Reviews: 334
1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

2.19/5  rDev -42.7%

this beer is not fun it was hell to drink. the malts were heavy and syrupy seemed not very carbonated and flat. Yeast taste was very rough and gave me a headache. Not impressed with this beer surprised by the high ratings. Yokel was better than this a lot better from my memories and that is only other Zwickel I have had so far but that was a long time ago.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.44/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.44/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Huh. A new style for me, and one I'd never heard of, to boot. One of many splendid extras from mba. Thanks!

Pours a clear gold with a 1-2 inch white foam head. Okay. So far, looks like a typical lager. Uhhh... I looked up the style, and shouldn't this be cloudy?

Smells faintly of lemon zest, but mostly of a disappointingly grain-y cereal malt. Hurm. Is this going to be grainy and sweet, cause right now, I'm getting a malt liquor vibe.

Well, there's a bit of lemon zest and a crisp earthiness to it, but the grain malt sweetness makes me think malt liquor mixed with a pilsener. A bit of bready yeastiness to it, but just a bit. I just am not sure what they were going for here. Frankly, if I had this blind, Surly wouldn't be one of the breweries I guess made this. Even if I took 1000 guesses.

Mouthfeel is strangely flat, despite the big white head.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.71/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not great, and sold at a premium price - $10.99 for four pints. The math is not on their side considering the taste of this brew. Funky, sour, skunky, not clean and "bright" as the name would suggest. Actually, it is unfiltered and cloudy, so the name is totally misused. Thick, soupy feel, and a little flat. Flavors of wet cardboard and sour cream. Smells like a macro brew, PBR or equivalent. A very average beer from my standpoint. I think I had it one time before, and forgot not to buy it again. I will drink what's left, but not with much enjoyment.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a glass. Date on bottom of can says 6/30/11...not the freshest. I am not a fan of lagers at all, so keep that in mind...

A: You know...fizzy, light golden straw/copper color. Half finger head that faded quickly. Fairly clear. Not a bad looking beer, but not overly appetizing.

S: Yeasty breadiness hits first...some detectible floral/herbal/grassy hop notes. A bit of orange rind.

T: Tastes like a lager. Sorry, but I don't really have much more to say here. Mild hops, mild malts, and just a dominant bready/funky lager yeast flavor. Kind of a mildly funky saison quality actually.

M: Not a bad mouthfeel...this might be the only thing that distinguishes this from an average lager. It's a medium-bodied beer and where most lagers are ultra-fizzy w/o any flavors to balance out that bite, this is appropriately carbonated.

O: Sorry folks, I'm just not a fan of lagers. This is definitely better than most, but that's not saying much - just take a look at the scores I gave it. If you like lagers, I'm sure you'll dig this...but I think there are significantly better beers on the market by this brewery.

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.82/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Hell Lager from Surly Brewing Company