Abrasive Ale | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Hazy gold in color, this Oatmeal Double IPA has aggressive aromas of candied grapefruit/tangerine and tropical fruit. Malted oats greatly enhance the body and the high level of bitterness is balanced by this sweetness. Citra hops are used for aroma & flavor additions and for dry-hopping, while Warrior hops are used primarily for bitterness.

OG 19.5 Plato

4.51/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,559 |  Reviews: 946
3.24/5  rDev -28.2%

Generously shared by Rutager.

A: Cloudy amber liquid with 1/2" white head.

S: Smells like a combination of rank body odor, garlic and onions.

T: Like it smells: body odor, garlic and onions as well as earthy hop flavours.

M: Medium to thin viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: I really dislike CTZ hops and I have a palate that picks up off flavours with beers that are heavily hopped with CTZ which is why I disliked this beer so much.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

This is a very tasty west coast type IPA, I found it a very tasty beer. I enjoyed using the can for beer can chicken and unless I can find this beer on tap I will only use it when making a very hoppy beer can chicken and drink the left over of the 4 pack.

The appearance was first rate with a nice lacing when poured from the can into a glass.

The smell had a significant hoppyness and was as flowery as one would expect from a Great Douple IPA, however great IPAs are not from a can.

The taste was full and hppy and was as good as one would expect from a beer from a can.

I rate this beer a 5 in all catogories exept overall as it is in a can.

No amount of plastic lining in a can can compensate for a bottled beer.

I really want to like this beer and the brewery, but I can get as good or better beers in glass. I know cans are better for recycling, but anything is better in glass then cans. I would pay more for glass then cans, and craft beer is best in a bottle or a keg. NEVER a can.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

From a trade with StPaulSuds, thanks for the fresh 4pack brotha. Canned exactly 1 month ago, poured into an oversized Mikasa Tulip glass.

A: Hazy orange body with a thick, creamy 2+ finger head of creamsicle color, awesome retention and lacing.

S: Very aromatic, nice blend of a sweet malty backing with a hop medley that is mostly tropical fruits, mango, and peaches, with some citrus and a touch of pine.

T: Quite bitter from start to finish with a lingering bitterness on the aftertaste. Could have a little more hop flavor to it. You can tell theres a large malt backbone but it doesn't suffer from being overly sweet. Easy-drinking and hides the alcohol very well.

M: Definitely a high point with this brew. Into elite category with a medium to full body and creamy mouthfeel that makes each sip close to perfect.

O: Definitely an elite DIPA, and especially for the bitter-seekers. The mouthfeel makes it for me, it could be near perfect if the hop flavor was more present in the taste as it is in the nose. Definitely enjoyed though.

4.69/5  rDev +4%

My last can from my trading partner and I'm sad to see it go. Canned 1/17/13. Poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a golden orange with a finger's worth of white head that takes its time dissipating into a thin halo with some superficial film on top. Nothing groundbreaking, but certainly solid.

S: Holy citrus. A ton of grapefruit and tropical fruits. This is one of my favorite smelling beers ever.

T: The taste mirrors the aroma. For a hoppy beer that's 75 days old, this has retained many of its original qualities. Fantastic.

M: There is no way I'd be able to pick up on the 9% ABV if I hadn't looked at the can first. Unbelievably drinkable and the delicious hoppiness lingers, inviting the drinker to have sip after sip.

O: On my Untappd check-in, I said "I will miss this beer" and it's true. I've had a few different offerings from Surly and have enjoyed them all, but Abrasive is definitely my favorite. Would love to try it on tap someday. Drink it if you can.

On tap served in a pint from The Blue Door Pub reviewed from notes.

A- Nice fluffy one finger worth of head that lingered long. Great lacing and retention.

S- Hops bite your nose with citrus and tropical fruit hints.

T- Follows as the nose leads with citrus fruit punch and lingering pineapple and grapefruit.

M- Lacks the syrupy feeling common in DIPA/IIPAs and not overly thick. Finishes very dry an attribute I love in the abrasive when compared to others brewed under the same manner.

O- I wrote in my notes "Perfect" but this was not my first pint on this particular occasion but still rings pretty true. I love this ale. The bitterness hide the reasonably high abv Abrasive offers which needs to be taken into account since after only one or two is plenty for the consumer. The fact that this particular establishment served the Abrasive in pints and not smaller pours also could get people into trouble. Cheers.

Abrasive Ale from Surly Brewing Company