Three | Surly Brewing Company

Tap only.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-19-2009

Reviews by beerad666:
3.73/5  rDev -7%

Had this on tap at the Small Bar in Chicago, IL.

It pours a very murky dark dark amber, it was really dark inside the bar so may have looked darker then it was. There was almost no head, just some white lacing on the glass. In the aroma honey and sugar comes through right away, also some cherry. I was worried this was going to be too sweet and undrinkable. It almost smells like a mead. But the taste is more tart with honey. Don't get me wrong, this is a sweet beverage. But it is well balanced with the malts and fruit. This one is a sipper and a sharer, I wasn't able to tackle a whole pint alone. The booze was getting to me and I was just starting to feel sticky. This is a different beer and worth trying if you see it on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Surly's Beer Hall. 10 oz. serving in a chalice.

Appearance: A very dark brownish black with a hint of ruby. About a finger of off white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A toasty, fruity, and sweet malt forward aroma with hints of biscuit and dark fruit. Toasted barley malt with some hints of biscuit, chocolate, toffee, and caramel with some yeast. Sweet hints of vanilla and brown sugar. Huge presence of fruit with a scent of apples, raisin, dark cherry, plums, and fig. A very solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a toasty, fruity, and sweet malt driven taste with notes of biscuit and dark fruit. Toasted barley malt with notes of biscuit, toast, chocolate, toffee, and caramel along with yeast. Sweet taste of brown sugar with some molasses and vanilla. Lots of fruit with a big taste of apple along with dark fruit notes of plum, fig, raisin, and cherry. Subtle hops. A really good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very creamy and slick. Somewhat sticky. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall: A very good brew. Good mix of toasty malt flavor and fruit notes.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

On draft at Sheffield's. Due to poor lighting, it is difficult to get a good grasp on what I am seeing, but I think that it looks like a cloudy dark brown almost black color. As I drink more, I can see that there is a red tint to the beer. The head is minimal and off white. The initial aroma is of light caramel malt. There is a fruitiness as well, let's call it prune juice-like. It also smells slightly sour. As far as flavor is concerned, I have never tasted anything like this before. It starts off like a very malty but friendly amber ale. On the middle palate, this beer really shows off how big it is, coating my whole mouth while chocolate notes come through. On the back of the palate the sour fruit flavors kick in and stick around for quite a while on the finish. As mentioned, this is a big oily coating beer with lighter carbonation. Overall, this is an extremely unique beer with great balance and drinkability. The complexity is not huge, but I still love it.

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Served in a snifter at Small Bar 4/30/09. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Served a deep, dark chestnut with a tiny head that quickly melted to a small ring and a small amount of lace.

S: Aromas of fresh honey, berries, homemade caramel, and toasted nuts.

T: See above with the addition of sweet caramel drenched berries and apples.

M: Sweet, sticky, and smooth. No trace of alcohol was detected! Sweet with a slightly dry tartness.

D: I didn't know what to expect and boy was I surprised. Excellent!

4.46/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Waited patiently @ the Blue Nile to try this, lots of Surly sheep running around.

A: Dark syrup, with little head that was poured into a D Tremens tulip.

S: Smells like alcohol, what have I gotten myself into? There is also some good-natured sweetness and dark malts.

T: Unique and intense. A domineering sweetness makes me realize that this beer is not to my extreme liking. The uniqueness and bright molasses-like notes make it pleasant though.

M: This thing felt like Nyuil-lite, good coating of the mouth, yes um.

D: Domineering sweetness led me to drink another beer, of course it was a Surly still :p

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Poured with almost no head and what was there dissipated in a minute or two. The beer is a clear beautiful dark brown color.

Smell: The honey is very prevalent in the smell there are fruity aromas and a little alcohol smell.

Taste: Very sweet honey flavor, dark fruit like cherries and plum, and then a sweet malt flavor. I can taste molasses, and as it warms up the honey becomes stronger.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little syrupy, slight tingle on the tongue

Overall: Very strong bold flavors, predominantly sweet honey. Takes a little while to drink, but I enjoyed every last drop! A nice change for me, different and enjoyable beer!!

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL.

A: Very dark with a deep tan head and plenty of lacing.

S: Lots of sweetness with both dark and ripe fruits; some dried raisins and a honey sweetness.

T: Over the top sweetness with honey, raisins, and other fruits coming to the fore.

M: Medium bodied and quite creamy; mild hints of alcohol throughout.

D: Not terribly drinkable, but this was my first of the style and I imagine most of them are this way.

1.96/5  rDev -51.1%

The appearance is very inviting. Dark with a beautiful head.

As for the aroma, the honey and the Munich malt are both there, but there is no blending. It's like tha old McDonald's as where "the hot side is hot and the cold side is cold."

The taste is sickening sweet. It reminded me German Double Chocolate Cake with too much sugar added to the recipe.

The mouthfeel is full and smoth.

Drinkability: I couldn't finish it

3.85/5  rDev -4%

I didn't know what this was, but have had good experiences with Surly beers so ordered it. The bartender told me it was from a bottle they had in back, although looks like everyone else has had it on tap, so not sure.

A - Dark brown, red on the edges. Small head with a little lacing.

S - No idea what a braggot is, but it smells considerably different than most beers. Thing I really notice with this one is some sort of raisin/honey smell. Fruity.

T - Interesting taste, not sure how it is for the style but it is pretty good. Sharply sweet, with a deep honey/raisin taste and almost some darkly acidic berries. Lighter tasting than it looks. Alcohol does come through on this one which helps cut the sweetness.

M - Sticky and syrupy. Low carbonation.

D - Too sweet and sticky to drink a ton of, but I may just not be accustom to the style. Definately worth having.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Had this on tap at Stub and Herb's. Pours a dark brown color with no head and no lacing. Some foam does pop as the tulip is given a swirl. Aroma is very strange, to say the least. Yes, there's honey, some chocolate, and a bit of spice, but for some reason I was smelling A1 Steak Sauce in the nose. Weird, right? Well, I passed it to my girlfriend and asked her what she thought, and she said the same thing. There was some funky stuff going in the nose, but I kind of liked it! Taste was marvelous! Light chocolate and honey mixed together nicely, with some tart cherry flavors in the background, citrus hops bitterness galore, lots of spiciness, very complex and well balanced. This was my first braggot and it was delicious to say the least. Medium body, decent carbonation, but it was lost pretty quickly as I had to keep swirling to get a head. Alcohol was pretty well hidden and I drank this bad boy down pretty fast. This was an excellent beer and I was glad I got to try it while I could.

Three from Surly Brewing Company