Three | Surly Brewing Company

Style: Braggot

Tap only.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-19-2009

4.87/5  rDev +21.4%

First, I just want to say HOLY SHIT this is one amazing beer. Nothing like what I expected. This one is damn near perfect.

Appearance is a deep dark ruby red, almost black, much like a porter. Smell is amazingly sweet with just the smallest hit of roasted malt. Taste, as always, follows smell, very sweet, but also offering up a dryness that is hard to find is all malt beers. I went to Common Roots Cafe and ordered two off the bat, they keep their taps too cold. But for this one, I have to say that a little on the colder side is better. It gets a little raw as it warms up. What I would really like is to see some of this stuff get aged for a year or two, maybe at Cafe Twenty Eight?

Nice creamy body, a little thin but the low levels of carbonation make up for that.

At 10%ABV this one is dangerously drinkable, the two I had were gone way to fast and if they wern't 6 bucks for a 12 oz pour I might have had more..

This is yet another amazing beer from Todd and Surly, I can't wait to try Four...

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Served in a stemless wine glass. Enjoyed with lunch at Common Roots Cafe just before the keg was kicked! Manager told me it was half honey, half black Munich malt - doesn't that make it Braggot (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/114)?

A: 1 finger of dense tan creamy foam with tremendous retention. Opaque black doesn't match the manager's description of it as a 'Bright ale'. Looks like Guinness.
S: Floral hops with a bright (there it is) alcohol smell behind the hops. Maybe honey.
T: Fruity, tangy, delicious. This is new territory for me, I haven't had anything like it before. I could not ask for any improvements on the flavor of this beer. Sweet, but not cloying. Sweetness is grounded by the roasted malt.
M: Impossibly creamy, like on Nitro-tap (but wasn't, I checked). Delightful. Tiny bit of bitterness. Smooth.
D: I would have many of these. Not a session beer though! (I was surprised to see it listed as 10.00%!)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Poured with almost no head and what was there dissipated in a minute or two. The beer is a clear beautiful dark brown color.

Smell: The honey is very prevalent in the smell there are fruity aromas and a little alcohol smell.

Taste: Very sweet honey flavor, dark fruit like cherries and plum, and then a sweet malt flavor. I can taste molasses, and as it warms up the honey becomes stronger.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little syrupy, slight tingle on the tongue

Overall: Very strong bold flavors, predominantly sweet honey. Takes a little while to drink, but I enjoyed every last drop! A nice change for me, different and enjoyable beer!!

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Had this on tap at Stub and Herb's. Pours a dark brown color with no head and no lacing. Some foam does pop as the tulip is given a swirl. Aroma is very strange, to say the least. Yes, there's honey, some chocolate, and a bit of spice, but for some reason I was smelling A1 Steak Sauce in the nose. Weird, right? Well, I passed it to my girlfriend and asked her what she thought, and she said the same thing. There was some funky stuff going in the nose, but I kind of liked it! Taste was marvelous! Light chocolate and honey mixed together nicely, with some tart cherry flavors in the background, citrus hops bitterness galore, lots of spiciness, very complex and well balanced. This was my first braggot and it was delicious to say the least. Medium body, decent carbonation, but it was lost pretty quickly as I had to keep swirling to get a head. Alcohol was pretty well hidden and I drank this bad boy down pretty fast. This was an excellent beer and I was glad I got to try it while I could.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

On tap at Sheffields in Chicago

A: pours dark dark brown with a khaki colored head that reduces down and lacing on the glass

S: smells like caramel and toffee malt and some dark fruits, raisins, etc

T: tastes just like the smell and wow it's delicious; dark fruits and raisins with a great balance of caramel and toffee flavor from the malt I presume...can definitely pick up the fruity flavor of the Belgian yeast...love the sweetness which is brown sugar-esque

M: full bodies and almost considered creamy in my eyes...sticky on the glass which I like, ha

D: amazingly easy to drink, is this really 10%? Great flavor makes it hard to write this instead of keep drinking

4.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Surly's Beer Hall. 10 oz. serving in a chalice.

Appearance: A very dark brownish black with a hint of ruby. About a finger of off white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A toasty, fruity, and sweet malt forward aroma with hints of biscuit and dark fruit. Toasted barley malt with some hints of biscuit, chocolate, toffee, and caramel with some yeast. Sweet hints of vanilla and brown sugar. Huge presence of fruit with a scent of apples, raisin, dark cherry, plums, and fig. A very solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a toasty, fruity, and sweet malt driven taste with notes of biscuit and dark fruit. Toasted barley malt with notes of biscuit, toast, chocolate, toffee, and caramel along with yeast. Sweet taste of brown sugar with some molasses and vanilla. Lots of fruit with a big taste of apple along with dark fruit notes of plum, fig, raisin, and cherry. Subtle hops. A really good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very creamy and slick. Somewhat sticky. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall: A very good brew. Good mix of toasty malt flavor and fruit notes.

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this beer at Winterfest 09 and 10...The 2010 was as follows:

A: golden with hues of orange. no head and very clear

S: Pears, and sweet malt aromas...no hops

F: Heavy pear with notes of sweet malt. lovely fruits dance as it finish. Honey notes come though as it warms

M; Very rich with full mouthfeel, some alcohol notes, but no real fusels.

O: lovely...I have never had a better braggot. A bit sticky sweet, but I love it!

Must try!

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

On-tap at ABR 2011. Served into a small tasting glass:

A - Pours a dark brown with amber hues. A little bit of head to start that dies to a thin foam head. Lacing is pretty good.

S - Dark roast with a touch of sweetness from the honey. Caramel and brown sugar.

T - Cherries, cranberries and other dark fruits mixed with a nice touch of honey. Those hints of brown sugar and caramel come back around to round out the taste. Quite tasty.

M - Decent amount of carbonation with that nice sugary sweetness. Really smooth and creamy.

O - Really, really nice treat. This was one of my favorite brews of the fest. Really nice, sweet and creamy and something that I could drink quite a bit of. I like this better than two, thats for sure. I'd like to get my hands on some of this if possible, but I don't see that happening. Lovely, though.

4.46/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%

On-tap at common roots café (thank goodness I might add because it's cold and I didn't want to have to ride my bike too far to try this!)

Appearance: Murky brown/black. Almost looks like I just ordered a glass of cold press. No real head, just a ring of small tan bubbles around the glass.

Smell: Very intriguing. The first thing that comes to mind is bourbon of some sort with fresh apple and tart cherry. The honey is also pretty obvious. It's somewhat acrid and funky in a way that some sours and lambics are, giving off a sour grape like aroma.

Taste: The honey is prominent and delicious as it mixes with the tart fruits (cherry, apple, white grape) It reminds me of a sour brewed with honey. Some reviewers said Quad and I suppose that's about right too but the fruit flavors seem more tart and sour than they do juicy. Either way, the flavors blend together wonderfully. Besides the fruit and honey mixing together there are some more subtle flavors that make up the back bone of this brew such as nutmeg, caramel, and brown sugar. It finishes with a very slight, and welcomed, bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy but not quite as thick as one might think for a beer brewed with half honey. There's a bit of alcohol heat at the end.

Drinkability: I would say that one glass of this is just about perfect. You may want more, and if that be case then by all means! But its sweetness and high ABV make it more like a great brew to end your night with.

Overall: I found Surly Three to be absolutely fascinating, and delicious! I can see why some people have said that it's too sweet for their palate, but you've got to know what you're getting into. I mean, it's half honey for pete's sake! That being said, I thought it was actually quite refreshing because of the tart fruit flavors. This is definitely one to try if you have the opportunity and another great brew from Surly. Happy third birthday Surly!!!

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

On draft at Sheffield's. Due to poor lighting, it is difficult to get a good grasp on what I am seeing, but I think that it looks like a cloudy dark brown almost black color. As I drink more, I can see that there is a red tint to the beer. The head is minimal and off white. The initial aroma is of light caramel malt. There is a fruitiness as well, let's call it prune juice-like. It also smells slightly sour. As far as flavor is concerned, I have never tasted anything like this before. It starts off like a very malty but friendly amber ale. On the middle palate, this beer really shows off how big it is, coating my whole mouth while chocolate notes come through. On the back of the palate the sour fruit flavors kick in and stick around for quite a while on the finish. As mentioned, this is a big oily coating beer with lighter carbonation. Overall, this is an extremely unique beer with great balance and drinkability. The complexity is not huge, but I still love it.

Three from Surly Brewing Company