Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2017 was Mosaic hops only
2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,577 |  Reviews: 482

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A 16 oz. can, received from 'Bama's Best, unclejedi, on 12/7/11, Per Mr. woodychandler, 'cracked & glugged' on 12/12/11. Poured to an imperial pint glass.

No dating on the label or beneath, but I'm certain this is the Fall 2011 iteration. Love the bold lime green and 'superhero' font on this eye-catching can. "Beer for a glass. From a can"

A: Coppery/light caramel orange, mostly clear but for a little suspended debris. A finger's worth of sudsy head, a shade or two dirtier than 'white'. A few trickling bubbles, rising to a gradually breaking film; terrific lace, lots of sticky foam in splayed bands.

S: Pithy citrus, mostly sweet grapefruit with an earthy note. Deeper, breadier malts, toasty and mildly sweet.

T: Awesome balance - it's 'bread crust' sweetness (grains and a touch of honey) married with juicy hops. Hops are tangy, piney, grassy and still wonderfully fresh after weeks in a can. A little cake, some 'orange peel' citrus, and a drying finish (black pepper?). Yummy.

M: Completely unrecognizable as a 'big beer'... 7.5%? Drinks like 5.5%. Or less. Wonderfully smooth, lightly prickly. Hops oils coat but don't oppress; the result is a green and grassy lupulin burst with balanced sugary malts to compensate. Medium body, a beauty.

O: Whatever Surly does differently, they have bottled/canned 'magic' almost every time. 'Wet' is as good a 'fresh-hopped' beer as I've had in Oregon and this is probably several weeks past its 'prime'. I'd drink this again and again; Deschutes' Fresh Hop Mirror Pond has some company at the top. Wow.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

16oz can into a pub glass. Got this at France44 when I was visiting MN

A- Light copper/dark blonde color. Pours with some head. Very bright and clear.

S- Grapefruit dominates this beer, but a little pine or spruce also adds to the beer.

T- Hop forward and big hop flavor. Not overly bitter and balanced well by the malt.

M- medium bodied. The malt sweetness leaves the toungue quickly, but hops linger. Good carbonation

Had this 5 days after canning. A beautiful and balanced IPA.

Serving type: can

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from 16oz can into a snifter. Canned on date of 10/31/11.

A- Pours a nice hazy orange with about a finger's worth of head. A bit of lacing holds around the glass.

S- Huge hop presence, as one would expect. Lots of citrus and grapefruit. I get a bit of pine as well.

T- Slight malt followed by a sharp hop bitterness. Very well balanced and citrusy.

M- Bit of alcohol bite but not bad, great carbonation. Strong hoppy finish that lingers.

Overall a great IPA. Wish I could have had it a bit more fresh.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

I got this via trade from Newbrewm, thanks Ted! I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time now. Poured from a 16 ounce can dated 10/11/11, so this is over 2 months old.

A: A medium copper orange color with a nice one finger perfectly white fluffy head. Glass lacing was nice.

S: I still get the fresh hop nose here. Huge smells of grassy hops, mint, some citrus, slight pine and bready malt. Nice.

T: Okay, I'm getting flavors here that no one else mentioned. On taste I got a huge amount of grassy and leafy hops mixed with mint notes and even the scallion flavor. Some slight pine is detected too. The citrus is there but I got more of the grassy flavors pouring out. Sweetness was biscuit and bread like more so than any caramel. Finish is nice and prickly with the hops really hanging on to leave lingering bitterness. I still like this beer.

M: Medium, prickly, slight alcohol but very easy drinking. Carbonation is perfect.

O: I really liked this beer, but I can't help but wonder why I am picking up different flavors than others. My citrus flavors were there, but they were second fiddle the the grassy and garden flavors.

Ted sent me a four pack, so I have three more to try. I'll see what I taste next time I crack one open. Still, Surly is a pure winner in my book. I love the cans and I love what they put in the cans. Tremendous brewer, one of my favorites.

Edit: Second can had this weekend. I got way more citrus notes and still a ton of grassy/leafy notes, but less of the mint and almost no scallion this time. Still, the grass and light citrus seem to dominate the beer which is not what I expected from the Citra and Simcoe hops. Still, a really great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%

Tulip

A - lovely copper/red/burnt sienna, half finger almost tan head and some sticky lacing

S - slightly toasted hop smell, slightly sweet, a bit of yeast, lots of hops, flowers, mineral, soil, a bit fruity, very fresh and crispy. Very nice nose

T - super fresh and crisp! Lots of heavy and delicious hops up front, resin, fresh cut grass, nice sweet malt, very slight yeast, pine, nice citrus, fresh island fruits, some wood, earth and flowers

M - medium body, low acidity, well balanced, nicely complex and lovely long finish

D - all I can say is if you think this is I drinkable, you're an idiot and don't drink beer any more

Final thought - thanks "soughtbygod" for this one. Wow! Great abv, loads of flavor and not on the cheap

Shared by ejyoung, poured into a snifter.

A perfectly clear honey-brown. The head is thin but silky and sticky.

Smells like fresh hop pellets. Sweet and grassy, like lemon and grapefruit without the bite — maybe candied lemon peel. Sugar and crackers make up the malt side. Hint of biscuits.

Same in the flavor. Candied lemon peel, moderate grassy bitterness, biscuity malt. Sweet, sugary, fresh and bright.

Body’s just a shade under medium and very smooth. Very light carbonation — soft to medium. Grassy bitterness, clean finish.

Wet’s a little too sweet for my IPA tastes, but it’s not unenjoyable. Bright, snappy, hoppy goodness.

Poured from 12oz can.

A- Pours a golden amberish orange color. One and a half finger white head shows good retention. tons of soapy lacing on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Bright citrus hops right off the bat. There is some underlying bittering and floral hops there as well but citrus is the standout for me. Toward the ending the nose there is a nice sweet malt base that brings this beer back down from the ranks of over the top hop bomb. To be honest I am ok with this.

T- Light malts oddly come out in the front with this beer. Good toasted caramel bready malts to be exact. Fresh citrus hops come out after that in an almost full force bombing but hold back. Toward the middle of the beer there is a light bitterness that balanced out the sweetness of the malt and citrus hops. The ending gives way to a bready malt with floral hops bringing this one to a light alcohol flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Lots of citrus hops and light bittering hops are left on the palate. Aftertaste is lingering floral and citrus hops with light alcohol and tiny bit of sweet malts. This beer was very well put together without being over the top. No off flavors from this beer while drinking. Medium alcohol drying on the palate with each sip.

O- I thought this beer was fantastic for what it was. A good full flavored wet hop ale that doesn't become a hop bomb is what some of these breweries need to look at. I like hops just as much as the next person but this was balanced between not only the malt base but the hop profiles as well. Another fantastic job for Surly.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

This arrived courtesy of mcc1654 in what I hope to be the first of many trades. Thanks again, Mike for the hookup! Canning date of 10/27/2011.

Pouring into a Firestone Walker nonic pint glass, this beer is mostly clear, medium gold. Thin white foam retaining well and leaving a sticky lacing along the edges of the glass.

Nose of orange and pine needless, fresh grassy. Hop-forward and prominent aroma.

Hop flavor forward again with a focus on the resiny/herbal character. Slight toasted malt. Loaded up on bitterness. Medium-long, dry finish with a lingering grassisness.

Medium-bodied with an oily texture and a moderate carbonation.

Plenty of fresh, resiny hops and well balanced by a mostly clean, lightly toasted malt. If the emphasis was on fresh hop character, they certainly nailed that here and I can only imagine what this may have been like a few weeks prior.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%