Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

AVAILABILITY: October

Added by feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

Reviews: 466 | Ratings: 1,519
4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Chilled can into a glass. Thanks to Wisconsinality for supplying this!

A: Pours a hazy, seemingly unfiltered amber that leans toward orange in the glass. It's capped by a half-finger of off-white head despite a vigorous pour. Not a heavily carbed beer. But it has lots of resins and hop oils in it, as evidenced by the sticky trails of lace it deposits down the sides of the glass.

S: This is remarkably non-vegetal for a fresh, wet-hop beer. It's quite perfumey; even from far away, I can pick up the generous grapefruit and tangerine flavors that went into the beer. I heard this was dry-hopped with Citra, so I was expecting some beautiful tropical fruit goodness, but it seems to be more 'traditional' citrus aromas. It's quite grassy as well.

T: While there is a pronounced bitterness up front, I'm surprised to find that the beer has a strong crystal malt presence, as well. It manifests as a caramel sweetness with a touch of straight sugar. While the beer is relatively dry, I don't think I'd call the malt subdued. That being said, the hop flavors are vibrant and fresh. Grass is quite strong (at least it's not vegetal), but it gives way to grapefruit rind in the mid-taste. The finish is clean with a touch of crystal malt, but even that can't fully hide the long-lasting, sticky, bitter finish.

M: Medium-bodied, with good carbonation for the style. Fresh hop flavors abound, and lots of bittering hop oils cling to the tongue. I've never really enjoyed lingering bitterness, but when a beer has enough residual sugar to offset it, I can forgive it somewhat.

D: Definitely one of the better wet hop beers I've tried this year.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance- 16 oz can poured into a pint glass. Clear golden orange with a solid inch of white head. Good lacing all down the glass as it is drank.

Aroma- A good whiff reveals some herbal grassy hop notes too it. The aroma isn't overpowering like you might expect

Taste- Lots of grassy bitter flavor as well as some pine and orange peel taste. A hint of booziness to it.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good. Well carbonated, not too thin but not coating your mouth and lingers just long enough

Drinkability- Sign me up for another pint!

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this.

A: The pour is a clear golden amber color with a thin white head.

S: A really dank nose to this beer. Lots of great citrus notes as well as some oily, resinous pine. Maybe a hint of alcohol.

T: More intense hops to this one. Grapefruit and lemon peel with lots of piney goodness. Fairly bitter, but much more hop flavoring.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation.

D: A really great wet hopped beer without any of the pitfalls that many others experience. Very nice and easy to drink.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Purchased at Blue Max in Burnsville, MN for $14.99/4 pack.

A: slightly cloudy, amber color - there is something very fine in suspension in the beer, nice creamy head
S: very nice resiny hop nose, not overpowering, a bit of malt backbone noticeable also
T: very nice beer, good resiny/pine hops up front with good balance of malt in finish, well-made
M: very nice
D: I usually don't prefer over-hopped IPAs but this is a good one

4.9/5  rDev +15%

I CANnot tell you how much I enjoy Surly's beers and how grateful I am when they arrive in support of The CANQuest (TM)! This one kind of makes me giggle from the utter simplicity of its name. I guess that if they had Michelob Dry in the late-'80's, we CAN have Surly Wet in the early-'10's.

From the ultra-green CAN: "Beer for a glass. From a CAN."; "Ultra-Fresh Hops Beer"; "Fresh Beer. Keep Cold. Don't Age."; "Get Surly! You are about to drink a wet hop beer - brewed with AmeriCAN hops so fresh they've never had the chance to dry out. Day 1: picked. Day 2: shipped. Day 4: tossed in the brew. The only delay from the field to your glass is the time it takes for fermenting. The hop varieties vary, but you CAN always expect the intense resinous character that only comes from the fresh hops. This ain't a beer for aging. The beer quickly loses its aromatics. So invite your friends over and enjoy this West-Coast Style IPA ... now." Well put, surs! I get the idea. The bottom of this CAN was stamped "CANned on 10/12/10 Get Wet" I'm about to dive right in!

Following the Crack & Glug, I first noted that it was full to the brim, a phenomenon common to their CANs. I also caught a whiff of earthy, citrusy hops, even before the pour. Nothing wrong with these aromatics! My soon-to-be-famous pour style resulted in two fingers of foamy, tawny head with great retention and now the aromatics were beginning to permeate the room. I was salivating like Pavlov's dogs at this point. My hop addiction may have passed, thanks to too many AALs in a CAN, but I still like a hit every now and again for maintenance purposes. As the head began to fall, sticky lacing appeared in its wake. Color was a medium orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The first sip, OK, mouthful, was medium-to-full and intense with an initial malt sweetness up front to lull my palate into a state of being unawares, followed by a smack of grapefruit hops that made my eyes water! Shazam! This was like being a born-again virgin. My tongue began to loll around in my mouth, I leaned back in my chair, took a deep breath ... Big mistake! The finish was even hoppier than in the mouth! Man, I was totally feeling this one. Dee-lish! The only drawback to putting it into my imaginary cooler might be its ABV.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a can into a nonic pint glass a beautiful amber color with a puffy white head that held for a good bit of time and left good lacing down the glass.

The smell was truly wonderful --- absolutely fresh grapefruit and pine straight to the senses. Held up well with a sweet malt character that didn't distract from the fresh (wet) hop aroma.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the taste. It was much more crystal malt upfront than I was expecting (or wanted). Don't get me wrong, this brew brought the hops. After the initial unwelcome malt flavor, it was all grapefruit and flowery hops. Quite dry on the finish.

Surly knows how to do an IPA. The mouthfeel was spot on for an AIPA.

I would certainly include this in my late fall/early winter fresh and wet hop rotation if Surly were available in my area. I'm not sure, given it's overemphasis on the crystal malt, that I could have more than a couple in a setting, which I am apt to do with an IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A fantastic beer courtesy of mymrnngjckt. Thanks again Kevin!

Appearance: Poured from a hulkishly green can, the beer is clear, bright, amber color. There's a nice inch + worth of thick creamy head that just doesn't seem to fade away. Lacing is impressive as well, thick sheets of sticky foam clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: I could smell the massive amount of hops as soon as I started the pour. Lots of bitter grapefruit with a little bit of a grassiness to it. Really refreshing.

Taste: Much more balanced than I thought it would be given the bitter nose, but definitely not lacking in the hops department. The grapefruit isn't as pronounced as it is in the nose, but it is the dominating flavor. I'm most impressed with the sheer freshness that this brew has, I'm glad I didn't wait to try it.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is good, but the body is a bit thinner than I expected given the robustness of the other qualities. Of course, that is probably contributing to the high drinkability this brew has.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic IPA. Fresh, hoppy, and easy to drink. I admit that I can be picky when it comes to my IPA's, this one really hits the mark. I highly recommend this to anybody who can get it. Cheers!

Thanks to unclejedi for this can.

A: The IPA is a pale coppery color, equal parts amber and tea. A generous head, over two fingers on pour, laced in thick patches around the upper third of my glass.

S: The nose is harvesty, an ample dose of caramel malt mixing with citrusy hop strength. The hops are clean with grapefruit and soapy aromas.

T: A citrusy zip is evident from the first sip, a strength that seems bigger than a fresh-hopped ale. Orange and grapefruit stand out, a wet, oily dose of bitterness. Ample bready caramel malts hang around, a foundation that occasionally elbows out the hops. Over time, the hops mellow out and the ale morphs into the harvest ale genre. Soapy freshness, a contrast to the citrus, peaks through periodically. A firm hoppiness lingers in my mouth well after each sip is gone.

M: A little too hoppy early on, the ale quickly fits into its harvest ale boots. The hops, wet and oily, are content to linger for a long time.

D: A little on the strong side, although that facet rarely ever pops up through the beer. A pleasant taste to savor.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Big thanks to rudylaw for this exceptional extra!

Pours a nice coppery orange from a very green tall boy can. Minimal head retention, but leaves some sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is not quite as 'in your face' as I was hoping for, but still quite nice. Earthy, grassy hops. Taste is where this beer shines. Very well balanced for my tastes.. big, juicy hop flavor. A slight malty sweetness, followed by a moderately bitter finish. Mouthfeel is a little bit sticky, but that's kind of expected with a highly fresh hopped IPA, finishes light though. I could easily drink a 4-pack of these if I had them... so drinkability is high. Overall, this is a very enjoyable IPA. Surly needs to step up production a little and start shipping to nearby states!

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

A - A nice orangish color with a white head that receded to a ring. Great lacing on the sides of this one made for a pretty drink.

S - Huge fresh hop aroma, very grassy and wet. I guess that explains the name. A litle bit of pine notes, maybe some resin.

T - I remember hearing a story a while ago about rice that used to be shipped to a small village in China. The shipping took a while and by the time it got there it would be moldy, but the people ate it anyway. When the train systems were put into place, they got fresh rice, but since the taste was so foreign, they didn't like it. They would let their rice sit for a while, until it molded, and then eat it that way. I think this beer is a lot like that for me, I am really not used to hops this fresh, it is a very interesting experience, it tastes good, but I like a beer like Furious a ton more. Interesting grassy taste, with an almost lager-like quality to it in some respects. Very, very fresh hops are super present, so definately lives up to the name and what they're trying to do.

M - Pretty smooth, with nice carbonation.

D - Easy enough to drink, but I would not necessarily call it "high" on that scale. Good beer, but would much rather have a Furious.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Can received as an extra in a trade with brian23456 who absolutely rocks!

Appearance: Pours a completely transparent golden copper with a 1 finger billlowy white crown that displays some retention and good lace. I'd give this one a 4.7 if I could so I'm rounding down a bit.

Smell: Nice wet hops (comes off more Simcoe dominant to me than Citra) over a biscuity malt. Not as pungent as I was hoping for but still nice.

Taste: Much more flavorful and satisfying than the nose. Hop bitterness is minimal but flavor is big (as expected with a fresh hop brew).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Total session brew.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

16oz can poured into a pint glass. Canned on 10/11/10. Courtesy of oach. Thanks again, Scot

A: Standard IPA color - clear orange. Massive head on the initial pour (3+ fingers) which takes a few minutes to die down. Crazy amount of lacing and great head retention

S: I think I just got smacked in the face with hops. Ok, let me try again. Yup, still there. Just a massive amount of hop juice aroma. Some accompanying floral and pine notes

T: Lots of citrus and pine hops, but not a palate killer. Juicy citrus fruit, including but not limited to: orange, pineapple, melon

M: Medium bodied. Surprisingly light carbonation. Coats the mouth, very smooth actually. Some residual bitterness left on the front of the tongue

D: A mighty fine tasting IPA. This one didn't take long to finish as it's incredibly easy drinking. Can't wait until they (hopefully) brew this one again

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to paulv for the can!

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. Slightly hazy brown-orange body with a sticky white head on top. Plenty of sexy lacing on the glass.

Love the nose on this one. Lots of grassy-pine hops mixed with some more floral aromatic notes. Sweet malts mix with oranges and grapefruit. Smells pretty fresh, like hop leaves are floating in the beer.

The flavor has a very distinct caramel orange flavor to it that sets up the base for a big pile of hops. Grassy, slightly piny floral bitterness, yet still fairly sweet. Fairly fruity with biscuity malts.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly resiny with perfect carbonation. Body is fairly substantial, but doesn't feel heavy. Well put together.

Drinkability is great. Lots of hops, but still well balanced. Quite a bit of sweet orange citrus in this one. Furious is a great beer, but I like this one even more. I don't know if I'd call this west coast style, since it is still fairly balanced, but its a great beer either way. Definitely pick this one up soon if you can. Looks like I need to hunt down some fresh Abrasive Ale to complete the Surly IPA trifecta.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks Joe for sharing this treat, I always enjoy a Surly IPA...

A- Nice slightly darker golden straw that pours a nice light 1-2 fingers head that sticks to the glass in clumps.

S- Huge pine and citrus scent, like hops were squeezed out into a glass in front of me, mango, and loads of apricot which my wife picked out not to mention loads of pine, did I say that already.

T- Citrus fruits with that pine resin and oily hops that make my mouth water. Very light caramel backbone with a dry bitter finish that lasts and lasts.

M- Looks light but has a nice light/medium mouthfeel to it due to the resiny pine hops. Loads of flavor and tons of Hops for this hophead...

D- Really easy to drink, I think I still prefer the Furious but this is really good and I would suggest anybody that can get this should consider themselves lucky.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz cans into a pint glass.
Beautiful golden-orange color with a thick, foamy, 1" white head. Settles down to 1/2" with great retention.
Rich, juicy, fruity smells. Passion fruit and pineapple, sweet orange, a little hint of toffee.
The juicy fruitiness continues in the taste. Juicy orange and pineapple mainly, a little pine sap. The simcoe comes out in the finish with a pleasant dry bitterness, and a juicy aftertaste follows. Very well balanced.
Nice texture, light-medium bodied and smooth, ends a little viscous.
The juicy flavors and balance make it very drinkable.
The fruit flavors have faded a little since it was fresh (I've had it a few times since it came out), but still excellent. One of my favorite wet hop beers.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Surly Wet! Awwwright! Thanks to Todd for the chance to try a 4-pack fresh from the source:

Appearance= Very nice firm white head with a great looking yellow/orangeish body. Carbonation is active. Great lacing.

Smell= Great. Fresh. Hop. Aroma. This is what you expect when you have a freshy fresh Wet hopped beer. Fantastic smells. It's like someone is chucking pine trees, citrus, grass and hop oils into a shredder and your standing where the shit gets shot out!

Taste= See above for flavors experienced here. Great taste to go along with a great nose.

Mouthfeel= Nice body, good carbonation. Damn near perfect for the style.

Drinkability= Wow. Does this stuff go down easy. In fact, this stuff goes down easier than Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office. I may be in trouble if I dont have any more cans...O wait, I have 3 more. Yes!

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Beer poured a clear golden color with a nice white head on it. It looked clean, crisp and fresh.

Smelled of hops, lots of them. Smelled amazing.

The taste was hoppy, but there is a notable difference between fresh hops and hops that have been around for a while. This beer had an amazing freshness about it. It was smooth. Had a bold hit right up front and felt like it was full bodied like you could cut it with a knife.

This was awesome and I have to thank sweemzander with hooking me up with a can of this. Only problem is, now I wan't more.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance -- Pours a bright copper like a brand new penny with two fingers of stiff frothy parchment head. Lacing up the wazoo!

Smell -- Wow. LOTS of pine resin, grapefruit, a bit of cattiness, and dry bready malts. As one would expect, it's Surly cranked to 11.

Taste -- Pine tar, grapefruit must, grass, again some cattiness as in the nose. Malt is still quite dry, as surly is wont to do, though there is a dab of honey sweetness keeping the hops from being unbearably intense. Finish is long and bitter. Again, Surly to 11.

Mouthfeel -- A bit light in body with lively carbonation, but not too sharp. Goes down almost too easily.

Drinkability -- Easily in the top tier of harvest IPA's. It drinks just as you'd hope a Surly wet hop IPA would: an abundance of hop bitterness with only the bare minimum of malt sweetness. Good stuff, but be forewarned: this is a one-and-done palate annihilator. Save this beast for last...

**Note: I was fortunate enough to have some of this at Darkness Day, and this stuff on tap is by a firm margin the hoppiest beer I've EVER had. Everything I had to drink afterward didn't taste right.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A -- An bronze golden brew that pours a fluffy head that sticks around a while and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S -- Huge citrus notes, peach, apricot, and light grassy notes that amplify as the brew warms.

T -- Great tones of lemon zest, grapefruit, earthy / grassy notes. A nice sweetness balances perfectly with the bitterness leaving a slightly dry but not drying finish.

M -- Light on the tongue but solid on the palate. A ton of flavor without being ridiculously heavy.

D -- Approachable for the uninitiated but still intriguing for the most seasoned veteran. Phenomenal brew.

Poured from a can into my tulip.

A: Mostly clear amber gold. About one finger of bright white head. No lace small cap.

S: Nice floral hop bouquet. Mostly pine sap and freshly picked hop cones. Green as hell. Reminds me of wet cut grass.

T: Similar to the nose just a bit less floral. More wet grass and fresh green hop cones. Just a touch of dry malt sweetness. Mild black earth.

M: Medium to light body. Dry finish.

D: Overall a nice hop forward beer. Nothing really over the top. Quite tasty.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

16oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a good white fluffy head with decent retention. Tons of lacing left behind.

(S)- A damp wood aspect with some lemon & peach citrus.

(T)- A very potent woody bark/pine dryness up front. Some citrus notes.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A bit woody; Minimal bitterness.

(D)- Not bad. Its really dry and woody. Would like to see more citrus to balance it out.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Bright copper gold with a finger of head. Head diminishes quickly.

S - Very hoppy clean. You can definately tell your participating in a little bit of IPA heaven. Floral yet very sweet at first. Once the head diminishes the beer itself has a grassy, earthy tone.

T - Hops, hops, hops. The taste can only be described on my palate as fresh and bright. Although now apparent in smell there is a dinately a citrus (grapefruit/orange)start to it and finishes very malty.

D - Some may find this beer a bit too much and very filling. I, however, love chewing on my beer and find this one very tolerable and easily able to finish 2-3 in a sitting.

(I have found from beer to beer the taste changes. I am not sure if this is because of age, wetness/dyness of hop, or amount/type of hop included. Nonetheless, it is a hit every time)

Cost - I paid $15.99 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans. This is my only frown. I did, however, by a second helping the next.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours about picture perfect copper color with a beige topping of medium/thick head. The smell is evident of hop residue as soon as the can is opened. I brought by buddy a glass and from across the room he said- oh wow- that's some hops. Taste is incredibly dry- like bone dry- but the plentiful hop profile is very nice. Very tough to get through the second one of these- the first was very drinkable- but I wouldn't recommend more than one at a time- this is very thick and is filling me up way too fast.

1.97/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

The 2015 batch smells and tastes like a floor cleaning product mixed with pineapple juice. This beer was an unfortunate waste of money because it has been quite good in the past, but this year it is horrible.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

A - Beautiful gold color with a finger of foamy white head with great retention. The color was so clear I could read the can through the beer in my glass!

S - Every hop profile you can imagine, floral hoppiness, lots of citrusy hoppiness, and some steely bitter hoppiness. If you want hops, you know you're getting it from the aroma.

T - The quintessential hop forward beer. The flavor is all citrus forward hops that really hit the tongue hard. If you want hops, you'll find them here.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh but smooth and very drinkable if you love your hops.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company