Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

AVAILABILITY: October

Added by feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

Ratings: 1,520 |  Reviews: 466

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a pint glass

A- Amber with a thin, white, foamy head that leaves a significant amount of lacing.

S- Pine, grapefruit, apricots, orange peel

T- A perfect clone of the aroma with the bitter, pine-like flavor lingering at the finish.

M- Thicker than most IPAs I can remember. The carbonation is a perfect compliment to the body.

O- The mouthfeel makes this more of a sipper than the taste begs. The balance is great. This was a can from the last batch. I had it on tap almost right away and remember it being even better than this. Either way, a wonderful fresh hop brew!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

A - Clear, but not brilliant gold body with a dense white foam which persists. Sticky lacing down the sides of the glass which persists until the glass is empty. I don't know if could be brilliant with all of the hops in this beer.

S - The second the can is opened, hop aroma fills the room. Grassy undertones with a citrus blend. As it warms, mango and tangerine flavors are more evident. It reminds me a bit of fresh Odell IPA, but with less of a grapefruit edge.

T - A clean malt flavor paves the way for a citrus and mango explosion. Every tastebud feels like it's being lit with a juicy blend of mango, tangerine and pineapple. There is a subtle tinge of pine that seems to keep it from going too far over the top. The bitterness is firm, but not insane. Overall, the hop flavors just change and roll around in your mouth. It takes some serious attention to catch all of the flavors happening. It's a treat. Fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing.

M - I've said it above, but the first thing that describes the mouthfeel is 'juicy'. It's a great sensation. Otherwise it's a dry beer that leaves feel of being coated in hops. The carbonation scrubs away any heavy feeling and is nice and spritzy.

D - While it goes down easy, the ton of flavor was almost overwhelming. I would have given my left arm for a second, but probably not a third. The alc is well hidden and a non-issue.

Despite the hype, I didn't expect much. Other 'fresh hop' beers have left me flat, but this one blew me away.

On tap at Sheffield's served in a shaker pint glass.

This beer is a cloudy burnt honey red color with a thin layer of bubbly head.

The nose is all hops, tons of catty notes.. Some grapefruit, pine, floral tea notes..

The first gulp is harsh pine, catty chinook and simcoe, maybe.. I'm picking up on some herbal tea as well. Not as easy drinking as Furious, but still tasty.

Mouthfeel is full with some nice bubble bite.

An interesting fresh hopped IPA and I'm glad I got the chance to try it.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wet from Surly Brewing Company