Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2017 was Mosaic hops only
2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

#559
10%

Ratings: 1,565 |  Reviews: 481

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Lovely copper pour. Carbonation steady enough to put up 1/4" for the duration.

S - Resiny hop along with citrus, and tropical hop character--getting fresh melon, especially. (Don't usually get the huge resin character from dried Citra, so I'm really diggin' this.) Some malt sweetness that comes across as almost wort-like (an aroma that I assume is the play of the huge resiny goodness).

T - Hop character follows the nose but is less intense than I expected. That said, it's absolutely wonderful. Huge resin flavors along with herbal and citrus--tropical hop character occurs more in the finish, along with solid bitterness. Very solid malt component. Tasted more caramel initially, but strikes me as less sweet and more bready as the glass warms. Perfect balance.

M - Lighter side of medium. Carbonation level is perfect, making this a dangerously quaffable beer.

O - Been waiting for this one and, once again, Todd and Omar dazzle. Best wet hop beer available, bar none.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4.5) - Very nice dark amber color and big pile of off white foam on top.
S (4.25) - Pretty good floral hop aroma. Maybe not as strong as I'd expect, but quite noticeable.
T (4.25) - Good tasting beer. I'd maybe expect the hops to pack a little more punch. I've wet-hopped homebrew before, but not real experienced with wet-hopped commercial beers.
F (4.25) - Nice drinkable beer. Good carb, but still smooth.
O (4.25) - Overall, this is a very good beer. I may have been expecting a little more due to everybody talking about it. And at the price point! I liked it, and would buy again, but I'd buy Abrasive or Todd or a few others first.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this on tap last year and enjoyed it, happy to see it come to cans!

A - Golden and transparent with a nice tiny bubble of a head. Very sticky on the glass

S - Grass and huge citrus/grapefuity just all over your nose.

T - More bitter grapefruit and piney going down. This is a stark contrast from Surly's other American IPA but just as hoppy and tasty. Not dry but you do feel like you took a bite out of a grapefruit that just fell onto freshly mown grass.

M - Sticky form all the hops but a great high carb

D - If you like hops this is a fun beer. I wouldn't consider this balanced in that the hops are just all over your toungue. But a great beer that keeps you coming back for more

I'm very happy Surly canned this bad boy cuz it is a solid IPA. If you like these fresh hop/wet hop beers I'd seek this one out.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.01/5  rDev -6.7%

A - transparent pale, yellow with a white, finger head.

S - Muted floral notes, a certain meaty quality, and some of the malt is coming out in the nose - hints of nut and bread.

T - Everyone called it the garlic & onion summit hop beer. But, this is awesome with a range of juicy, tropical citrus and cracker malt. Hops come and go quickly. At a few weeks old, I think you can tell this has already faded a little as the malt character is a little more pronounced than the hop profile. But, I love that light, cracker tasting malt in ipas and pales, so I'm really enjoying this.

M - thin, but crisp. Exactly what I'm looking for in an ipa.

D - Others I drank this with couldn't get over the meatyness from the Summit hops, but I really enjoyed it. Overall there is a nice, juicy drinkability to this.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got the last 2 4 packs at Woodmans in Menomonee Falls. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: an amber pour that you can see right through. Tiny streams of bubbles. White head that lingers and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: compared to things like Todd, this has a far less overpowering hop aroma.

Taste: my goodness. This is unique to put it nicely. Maybe the tea like taste that was in the $urly thread is the closest descriptor I can find. Surly does things right with these limited makes. This is outstanding taste wise.

Mouthfeel: slightly syrupy, resinous. Leaves the mouth feeling slightly coated.

Overall: $4 per pint can is frankly worth it if you can foot it, folks. I'm glad I didn't have to chase down trucks like some folk in Milwaukee did this week.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 16oz can to a Cigar City Snifter.

Color: Golden amber with a white head. After the head faded my wife said it looked like dark apple juice :)

Smell: Fresh piney hops and citrus (grapefruit and mango).

Taste: Exactly like the smell! The fresh piney hops and citrus go together well.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, slighly coarse with a dry finish.

Overall: Very tastey. I enjoyed the fresh piney hop flavor. Just another brew from Surly that did not disappoint. Cheers!

Wet from Surly Brewing Company