Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2017 was Mosaic hops only
2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

10%

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,577 |  Reviews: 482
4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Can poured into a standard tulip. Big thanks to Binek for this extra.

Orange golden color with a big 2 finger tip frothy head. The smell is super piney and hoppy with strong smells of orange peel and citrus. The taste is more of the same with the twang of alcohol slightly. However this beer drinks super easily and at 7.5% it is very enjoyable and allows for multiples.

This is one of the best IPA's I have ever had. I am not sure if this is because of how fresh it is or how superior it is. One I will be picking up every year for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +10%

This was my favorite beer of '10 and I'm stoked to taste the '11 edition.

Poured from the 16oz Surly can into my trusty nonic. It produced a very nice, two-finger, off white head. Pretty solid retention and some damn fine lacing. It has a classic dark honey/amber color that is deep and vibrant, and crystal clear. Very, very nice.

Aromatic as hell. Bursting with floral/citrus hops, yet there is an evident malt backing.

Intense hops upfront, orange/lemon, and maybe a touch of grass; all artfully balanced with sweet malt. For 90 IBUs this is very well balanced. It showcases the hops potential, while reigning them in as well so they're not overpowering. I can't say I've found as much character and balance in any other IPA I've had.

Again, for 90 IBUs and 7.5%, this is a seriously smooth brew. Moderately dry throughout, but not overly so. Medium to heavy mouth feel for the style, but with the amount of hops in the can that would be expected.

Overall this a truly great beer. Incredibly dense but clean hop profile that is still so well balanced, I can't think of a better AIPA I've had. The fact that it comes out once a year in relatively limited release and distributed within the Twin Cities metro only just adds to its allure. Perhaps my favorite two years running, but Darkness Day still looms...Skol Surly, Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks Joe for sharing this treat, I always enjoy a Surly IPA...

A- Nice slightly darker golden straw that pours a nice light 1-2 fingers head that sticks to the glass in clumps.

S- Huge pine and citrus scent, like hops were squeezed out into a glass in front of me, mango, and loads of apricot which my wife picked out not to mention loads of pine, did I say that already.

T- Citrus fruits with that pine resin and oily hops that make my mouth water. Very light caramel backbone with a dry bitter finish that lasts and lasts.

M- Looks light but has a nice light/medium mouthfeel to it due to the resiny pine hops. Loads of flavor and tons of Hops for this hophead...

D- Really easy to drink, I think I still prefer the Furious but this is really good and I would suggest anybody that can get this should consider themselves lucky.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Received as an extra from Thome50.

A: Golden/orange hue. Foamy, white, 3 finger head.

S: Wonderfully strong, citrusy hop smell.

T: Shockingly well balanced hop flavor. Not overpowering.

M: Medium body with strong carbonation.

O: Great wet hopped ale. Glad to have had the chance to try it. Not as over the top as expected, but still a nice job by Surly!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Lovely copper pour. Carbonation steady enough to put up 1/4" for the duration.

S - Resiny hop along with citrus, and tropical hop character--getting fresh melon, especially. (Don't usually get the huge resin character from dried Citra, so I'm really diggin' this.) Some malt sweetness that comes across as almost wort-like (an aroma that I assume is the play of the huge resiny goodness).

T - Hop character follows the nose but is less intense than I expected. That said, it's absolutely wonderful. Huge resin flavors along with herbal and citrus--tropical hop character occurs more in the finish, along with solid bitterness. Very solid malt component. Tasted more caramel initially, but strikes me as less sweet and more bready as the glass warms. Perfect balance.

M - Lighter side of medium. Carbonation level is perfect, making this a dangerously quaffable beer.

O - Been waiting for this one and, once again, Todd and Omar dazzle. Best wet hop beer available, bar none.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Surly Wet (2012 Vintage)

Appearance: Surly’s version of the wet-hopped ale, this year made entirely with Simcoe hops, pours a brilliant, crystal clear, golden-orange color. A massive, four-finger, bone-white pillow of head that takes ages to deflate, during which it transforms from tightly bubbled to enormous soapsuds. The lacing is brilliant and there are minimal alcohol legs. Surprisingly, there is not much visually noticeable carbonation, but, other than that, this beer looks near perfect.

Aroma: Massive does not begin to describe the hop aroma of this beer. Citrus notes and dankness flow freely and furiously from the glass; the drinker need not even put his or her nose to the glass to smell it: this smell is noticeable from the other side of the room. There is also a nice, caramel sweetness and earthiness hiding behind what could be mistaken for a newly opened carton of orange juice. Speaking of juice, this beer smells incredibly, ludicrously juicy. Surly makes a strong case for producing the best smelling wet-hopped beer on the market.

Taste: Hops, in the form of juicy citrus, rindy bitterness, grapefruit, lemon, and, of course, orange are huge in this beer. The experience is akin to sampling the fresh fruit section at the local farmers’ market. The malt (surprisingly) stands up to the staunch hop presence and provides the caramel sweetness and warming earthiness. Simcoe is known to have sort of a “cat urine” flavor to it, and thankfully this one avoids that caveat since that flavor comes through more in the dankness of the drink than a straight up urine note. The best, and perhaps most masterful aspect of this beer is the way the bitterness is not a smack in the face, but a building sensation over the course of the taste. Perfect for the style, perfect as a beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer reminds me a bit of the episode of Seinfeld entitled “The Glasses” in which Jerry is dating a woman, Amy, who thinks he is perfect initially but eventually sees a “side” of him that she does not like. For Wet, this side is the mouthfeel. The carbonation is extremely minimal, which really does not suit the beer, and the feel itself is rather thin. This lends a strange, watery feel to the beer that feels awkward for both the style and the beer itself. Still, it remains slightly above average, but just barely.

Overall: I am a huge fan of the wet-hopped beer style, and I feel blessed to have gotten a hold of this one. Along with Three Floyds’ Broo Doo and Sierra Nevada’s Estate, this is the highest point that the style has reached. This beer should be the benchmark for the fresh-hop style. If only they could have perfected the mouthfeel as much as the rest of the beer, this may have been my first perfect beer. Another homerun for Surly. 18/20

3.57/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4.5) - Very nice dark amber color and big pile of off white foam on top.
S (4.25) - Pretty good floral hop aroma. Maybe not as strong as I'd expect, but quite noticeable.
T (4.25) - Good tasting beer. I'd maybe expect the hops to pack a little more punch. I've wet-hopped homebrew before, but not real experienced with wet-hopped commercial beers.
F (4.25) - Nice drinkable beer. Good carb, but still smooth.
O (4.25) - Overall, this is a very good beer. I may have been expecting a little more due to everybody talking about it. And at the price point! I liked it, and would buy again, but I'd buy Abrasive or Todd or a few others first.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company