Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2017 was Mosaic hops only
2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

Added by feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,575 |  Reviews: 482

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +10%

This was my favorite beer of '10 and I'm stoked to taste the '11 edition.

Poured from the 16oz Surly can into my trusty nonic. It produced a very nice, two-finger, off white head. Pretty solid retention and some damn fine lacing. It has a classic dark honey/amber color that is deep and vibrant, and crystal clear. Very, very nice.

Aromatic as hell. Bursting with floral/citrus hops, yet there is an evident malt backing.

Intense hops upfront, orange/lemon, and maybe a touch of grass; all artfully balanced with sweet malt. For 90 IBUs this is very well balanced. It showcases the hops potential, while reigning them in as well so they're not overpowering. I can't say I've found as much character and balance in any other IPA I've had.

Again, for 90 IBUs and 7.5%, this is a seriously smooth brew. Moderately dry throughout, but not overly so. Medium to heavy mouth feel for the style, but with the amount of hops in the can that would be expected.

Overall this a truly great beer. Incredibly dense but clean hop profile that is still so well balanced, I can't think of a better AIPA I've had. The fact that it comes out once a year in relatively limited release and distributed within the Twin Cities metro only just adds to its allure. Perhaps my favorite two years running, but Darkness Day still looms...Skol Surly, Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks Joe for sharing this treat, I always enjoy a Surly IPA...

A- Nice slightly darker golden straw that pours a nice light 1-2 fingers head that sticks to the glass in clumps.

S- Huge pine and citrus scent, like hops were squeezed out into a glass in front of me, mango, and loads of apricot which my wife picked out not to mention loads of pine, did I say that already.

T- Citrus fruits with that pine resin and oily hops that make my mouth water. Very light caramel backbone with a dry bitter finish that lasts and lasts.

M- Looks light but has a nice light/medium mouthfeel to it due to the resiny pine hops. Loads of flavor and tons of Hops for this hophead...

D- Really easy to drink, I think I still prefer the Furious but this is really good and I would suggest anybody that can get this should consider themselves lucky.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Received as an extra from Thome50.

A: Golden/orange hue. Foamy, white, 3 finger head.

S: Wonderfully strong, citrusy hop smell.

T: Shockingly well balanced hop flavor. Not overpowering.

M: Medium body with strong carbonation.

O: Great wet hopped ale. Glad to have had the chance to try it. Not as over the top as expected, but still a nice job by Surly!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Lovely copper pour. Carbonation steady enough to put up 1/4" for the duration.

S - Resiny hop along with citrus, and tropical hop character--getting fresh melon, especially. (Don't usually get the huge resin character from dried Citra, so I'm really diggin' this.) Some malt sweetness that comes across as almost wort-like (an aroma that I assume is the play of the huge resiny goodness).

T - Hop character follows the nose but is less intense than I expected. That said, it's absolutely wonderful. Huge resin flavors along with herbal and citrus--tropical hop character occurs more in the finish, along with solid bitterness. Very solid malt component. Tasted more caramel initially, but strikes me as less sweet and more bready as the glass warms. Perfect balance.

M - Lighter side of medium. Carbonation level is perfect, making this a dangerously quaffable beer.

O - Been waiting for this one and, once again, Todd and Omar dazzle. Best wet hop beer available, bar none.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4.5) - Very nice dark amber color and big pile of off white foam on top.
S (4.25) - Pretty good floral hop aroma. Maybe not as strong as I'd expect, but quite noticeable.
T (4.25) - Good tasting beer. I'd maybe expect the hops to pack a little more punch. I've wet-hopped homebrew before, but not real experienced with wet-hopped commercial beers.
F (4.25) - Nice drinkable beer. Good carb, but still smooth.
O (4.25) - Overall, this is a very good beer. I may have been expecting a little more due to everybody talking about it. And at the price point! I liked it, and would buy again, but I'd buy Abrasive or Todd or a few others first.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%