Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wet | Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2017 was Mosaic hops only
2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

#559
10%

Ratings: 1,558 |  Reviews: 478
4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks go cmurren25 for sharing this at the pumpkin murren event at Al's.

Pint sized can poured into a snifter, this brew appears a clear golden orange color with a creamy white head. Spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma is fresh hops that have some floral and fruity character like pineapple blended with grassy notes, citrus and herbs. A sweetness somewhat mango-like resides inside the nose. The herbal aspect of the smell comes across somewhat minty with a touch of alcohol.

The taste of this brew is grassy and herbal with a fresh, lightly grainy sweet backing. It finishes herbal like mint with flavor before turning bitter and a bit oily. The alcohol and carbonation level provide a pleasant tingle in the back of the throat with an increasing amount of alcohol warmth. Medium to light in the body, this brew was very drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 Simcoe 7.0% tasted in a Spiegelau glass from a 1 pint can in October 2015. 2017 Mosaic 6.1% abv tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 1 pint can on October 10, 2017. Canned 10/02/17. Recommended.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Dating on can is October 31st 2011. I'll take it!

A real nice wonderfully tiny pin head sized forming bubbles of off whit head is made. Extremely uniform, sitting on a very clear orange amber body, some slow rising carbonation, the odd cola bubble stuck to the side of the glass. Lots of stickiness, and giant clumps to bite into for the head. very impressive.

Nose is mushy fruit, and a mix of faint pine, but mostly mushed apricot and citrus hop. Seems a bit sweet and sugary sensation also.

Very interesting palate. Muted but nice stinging short hop palate with a good mix of malt and hop on the finish. Sweetness sensed from the nose is toned down considerably, mixing with a few hints of pine and good soft resin. Citrus angle fruit and mushiness doesn't seem to be as present which makes it much more enjoyable. Texture is almost velvety, rich , just a faint hint of carbonation to keep it all lively.

Very nice beer, a great one, perhaps not my favorite wet hop IPA but it sure is up there. Just another great beer from Surly.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint can:

Pours golden with a thin lasting head that leaves trailing lace.

The smell is of mild citric fruit and resin/pine spicing. Milder than expected.

The taste is of a grapefruit-like bitterness with resin and a sweet grainy, slightly caramel-ish backbone. A bit minerally. It has a sharp, dry bite.

It is pretty smooth despite the bite.

A pleasant enough IPA, but doubt I would get again at 5 bucks a can (almost twenty a four-pack). Nice, but didn't stand out as anything "great" or particularly "special".

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Canned on 10/12/11

A- Full two inch off white head on a golden beer thats got a red hue to it. minimal effervescence. Great head retention and patchy, sticky lacing.

S- Fresh grapefruit in the nose. Pungent.

T- Mmmmore tropical fruits with a bitterness that sticks around even after the beer is deep within the stomach. Caramel malt is apparent along with a dose of breadiness. Hops distract from the 7.5%abv

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't as "prickly" as I think would be beneficial to compliment the bitterness of the hops, hmm.

D/O- With a hop profile on the plus side of bitterness this is a hit it and quit it IPA for me...any more and my palate would be well fatigued if there to be any more drinking ahead. Having said that, this immediately goes to the top of my wet-hopped IPA list. Another top notch offering from Surly. Long time want from perhaps my favorite brewery, thanks for delivering CaptCleveland!

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

1400 Pounds of hops in one batch. One small batch. 50 barrels, was it? Centennials and Chinooks, picked in Yakima, WA and shipped off to Brooklyn Center, MN, tossed into the brew kettle a mere three days after the picking. Wet as in not dry, not old, fresh as they get. Big, bright, bold, brash hops up in there and all over. So good I had 7 pints in a row at it's release. Two nights later, I sit down with one to investigate it.

Appearance: clear, bright crimson...dazzling...big, creamy beige head, rocky, lace leaving, ...lovely....great looking glass of beer.

Aroma: pine needles, lemon zest, orange rind, grapefruit, bright, fresh, lively, beautiful. Hop lovers rejoice, this is heaven, here in the nose.

Taste: Bam! Big fat hop blast on the palate, fresh and fruity, gobs of resiny hop oily goodness dripping all over...so much transferred from the leaf, the cone, the plant...the flavor swims around, the bitterness spills and clings to the corners. Sticks and survives. Hangs on. Nothing but the essence of the hop here. Big and juicy. So tasty. Mmmm...yu-um.

Hardly any malt feel in this one, just barely enough to keep it beer, but there's no complaints here, and the hop bitterness keeps grabbing, keeps holding it's ground. Hangs on, clings, stays, survives. Lays in. Blends in. Fades back and becomes part of the background. Never leaves.

Yum, I say. I say, Yum. Such a treat in the mouth, for the afifcciando of the hop. Gets no better than this.

I know that Fresh Hop/Wet Hop isn't a style, but if it were, it would be my favorite. Bar none. Hands down.

Drinkability is amazing, actually. I forgot to ask about the ABV on this, but it's not much. I'd guess 6% or so. If it were more, I couldn't drink as much as I can. It's amazing. Mmmmm. Love me the hops. Mmmmm.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

I picked this can up in Minneapolis over the weekend as I stopped by for Darkness Day 2011, what a great time! I'd been craving this beer all weekend before finally finding some in a store after the event.

While opening the can you are hit in the nose with a multitude of fresh and aromatic hops. Yes please! It pours a light bodied copper in color with an off white lacing around my glass. The aromas are very fresh and clean. It's just so smooth and mellow. I love it. It's grassy, think ganja. The flavors are smooth and clean with just the right amount of hoppiness. It's earthy, grassy, dare I say herbal? It's just right. It finishes with a light combination of hop bitterness and sweet citrus hops. Great combo. This is an IPA built for success. It is too drinkable. The best part may be that it leaves your palate WET, and it doesn't dry out, just yearns for more. I love it, absolutely love it.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After erroneously being served Broodoo due to a tap handle mix-up I finally got a tulip of this stuff.

A - One finger of off-white foam with excellent retention that finally dissolves to a thick cap with lots of lace. Nice hazed glowing dark red-brown color.

S - Pine, grass, dankness, fresh hop oils, some light citrus and tropical notes. Well-balanced with caramel and multi-grain malt characters.

T - The taste is more malt-forward with smooth caramel and bready flavors. A good amount of Yakima hops that ooze pine and lemon. Tons of residual bitterness in the finish.

M - Lots of oily resins, medium-bodied, lower carbonation. Pretty much what I like from an IPA.

D - Well-hidden booze, easy drinking. The only thing that gets tiring is the high level of bitterness.

Nice change of pace, but I think I prefer fresh Furious.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company