Moe's Bender | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Coffee chocolate vanilla brown ale aged on cherry and birch woods.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2010

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coffee Bender with cocoa and vanilla added to it? What kind of a monster would refuse to try that?

Pours like fizzy coffee. Smells like... like nothing I was expecting.

What was I expecting? Something simpler, I guess. Like, Coffee Bender with some CoffeMate added to it. That wouldn't have been very nice at all.

This smells spicier, sweeter, and smoother than regular Coffee Bender. The vanilla is quite rich, which greatly subdues the coffee nodes. Chocolate nodes become more present as the beer warms, it's a pleasantly dull and soft chocolate, sort of like a tootsie roll.

Tastes more coffee-ish. My friend said it was like espresso but I didn't think it was nearly astringent or bitter enough. More like Folger's (and if you think that's necessarily a bad thing, you are a weird, gross snob). The aroma's spiciness gives way to something more like what I had imagined the beer would be. You got the coffee of Coffee Bender, but then in the back end, where sticky sweet n' sour brownness of Bender usually comes in, you get nodes of spice, vanilla, and rounded milk chocolate. Very nicely done.

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

I had this from a keg while getting doughnuts at Darkness Day 2011. It was served in a plastic Surly cup. This beer is reviewed from notes.

Appearance- It's a dark brown opaque body. The head was only about half an inch and receded to a slight, tan film.

Smell- There is some coffee roast in the beer with earthy malts. Also some caramel malt sweetness and milk chocolate.

Taste- This beer has loads of roasted malt and coffee notes. There is also a little bit of chocolate and caramel malt sweetness.

Mouth feel- It is really smooth. The medium body is appropriate and really helps the beer. There is just enough carbonation to stop this beer from being too sticky.

Overall- Yes, it is a very good beer. Is it that much of an improvement over regular Bender? I think that is certainly debatable. Regardless, I'm very happy I got a shot at this, and would have it again if offered in a heartbeat.

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at Darkness Day 2011.

Poured black with a half inch cap of tan foam that receded slowly leaving lacing.

Smell was roasty..malts, espresso, chocolates.

Tasted excellent. Roasted malty, espresso, hints of chocolate, porter notes, very smooth.

Medium body is creamy and, again, smooth. Very easy to drink. Can't wait to have it again, someday.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

i had this beer at darkness days 2010

a: dark color with a small head and lacing

S: vanilla, oak, coffee, and chocolate

T: very creamy with chocolate, vinilla and a
hint of coffee with a lingering awsome after taste

m: smooth goodness

O: If it was sold I would buy it buy the case. this beer is a must try. I loved it

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

Had multiple pints of this at Surly's Power of the Pint event a couple weeks back.

Rather than write up the normal review, I'll simply focus on this beer relative to the other Benders from Surly. As much as I think coffee bender is better than the already solid bender due to the great balance between the roasted malts and the coffee notes. Moe's Bender takes it to yet another level. The balance of roasted malts, with chocolate espresso notes, and a hint of vanilla give this a wonderful smooth taste. This has a nice rich taste yet goes down way too easy.

I would love to see Surly keep making this one, simply a terrific beer.

If you get an opportunity to drink this beer, do it. And if you are lucky enough to get it for $4/pint, don't feel bad about drinking the tap dry.

4.89/5  rDev +11.9%

I was able to go to one of Surly's 5th anniversary parties and was able to try this one.

A: Very dark, small head and good lacing.
S: Vanila, chocolate, espresso. Great smelling beer.
T: one of the smoothest beers I have had. From start to finish the taste changes.
M: Very smooth.
O: Wasn't too excited to try this one, but after having it I was not disapointed. If i'm ever at an event that has it I would not hesitate to pay the premium price for a glass.

I have tasted heaven and its name is Moe.

Pours a nice rich brown with a caramel head, smells of malt and vanilla and chocolate. Taste is outstanding, vanilla and chocolate notes mix in to make this delicious brew. Drink this with a rich chocolaty dessert and you will be willing to trade your first born for the ability to do so again (does anyone need a generally well behaved 12 year old? I have one I'll trade for a keg of this).

Mouthfeel is rich without being too thick.

Overall? Outstanding. Quite possibly the best beer I have ever tasted.

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: A nice dark caramel color. The head is a very slender, light puff. There is some nice lacing on the glass.

S: Chocolate, toffee, vanilla, malt bomb. I can't get my nose out of this glass.

T: Bitter bite of chocolate, vanilla and a wooden barrel pièce de résistance. There is s subtle hop characteristic hiding behind this vanilla, bitter choco-coffee, toffee and malt. This one is a savory beast.

M: Medium to lighter mouth feel. I wish this one was a bit thicker, but I do like the motor oil. Great all around drinker for the average advocate of champion beers.

O: This was a fantastic find at the White Horse in Saint Cloud. I had this on tap for the Surly Five party at Acadia Cafe and it's every bit of amazing I remember it being. Maybe even better. If this shows up near you it is a must try and worth the $8/ pour admission any day. (I will be sad when this keg is gone.)

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Lucky to try this one on-tap at the Hanger Room. Pour left a bit to be desired, though it was served in a sweet glass mug with the Surly logo. Nice dark brown color, little head to speak of though. Nose is good with a bit of coffee, some dark malt, and a hint of vanilla. Flavor, however, really packs a punch. This one hits hard for a 5-ish% ABV beer. A nice coffee brown ale falls into some leafy hops, following by a smooth hit of sweet vanilla. This is a pretty sick beer, though I guess my love for the regular Coffee Bender gives me a bit of bias. MF was a bit thin, not quite as smooth and silky as I recall Coffee Bender to be. Overall a good experience, missing some technical points to me, but a tasty beer nonetheless.

4.32/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured on tap into a surly pint glass at Mackenzies during MN Craft Beer Week.

A- Very dark brown, nice lacing, slight carbonation, ½ finger head
S- Chocolate, roasty espresso aroma, malts, hints of vanilla, very delicious, desert smelling beer, I cannot wait to try this one.
T- Very good, everything you smell you taste and more, chocolate and vanilla right away, malts, nice hops added, slight bitterness, very tasty, hints of roasted coffee as well. Very smooth.
M- Medium bodied, slight carbonation, smooth and well balanced.
O- Delicious chocolate flavor, very good, a lot better than regular bender, very surprised by this beer, only wish they brewed it more often. I look forward to my next poor of this delicious offering from Surly.

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

At last in my grasp, Moe's Bender…

dark brown with transparent, crimson footing, slim cocoa-tinged head.

If I remember correctly, the cocoa is coming from Guatemala, and the vanilla from Zimbabwe…? Or, maybe another African nation? The coffee is the same

Aroma: soft and spicy, warm and inviting, a complex and beguiling mix of chocolate and coffee with vanilla underneath, but slowly rising.

Taste: espresso tones come first, just the smallest bit bitter, but not an iota harsh or astringent. Very mellowed by the cocoa, charmed by the vanilla. Medium-bodied, with a strong flavor, and a long finish. Becomes languid and creamy.
Settles sweetly on the palate. You'd think it would be a tug of war, a cacophony of flavors, but it's nothing but harmony, melody, and deliciousness.

Every sip begs another, the flavor finds a lovely place in the mouth and it beckons out, "don't let me leave."

Halfway into the pint, it only makes my mouth happier. This joy spreads out through the senses, and touches the soul. Deep down contentedness.

In other words: "ahhhh…"