Mole Smoke | Surly Brewing Company

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark - black, really. No head or lacing.

Smell is muted for me. I get some malt and a little smoke, but not the cocoa or pepper I might have expected. (Edit - it warmed up and I got popped with the smoke.)

Flavor is chili. I like pepper beers, but I'm missing the Baltic Porter on this one. (Edit 2 - a lot more Porter flavors are showing up now.)

Might be too cold on tap here, which is why I'm missing things.

(Still) Not my favorite.

3.56/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

i probably should have started with the regular smoke. i am a big fan of baltic porter types, and i generally dont care for chili beers, so im not sure what i was thinking, but i got one anyway. its quite hot, and while it smells awesome, like just a hint of peppers in there with the smoke and lager yeast and coffee roasted malts and booze, the heat is awfully aggressive in the taste, and its a hindrance to my personal enjoyment of the beer. that said, its pretty darn well made, and this opinion is more personal than general. the heat is too much for me, spicy all the way down and at the expense of really lush chocolate notes and the otherwise dry finish on a pretty smoky brew. i like the fuller body and i love the layers of cocoa, milk chocolate, and dark bakers chocolate all woven together in a nice way. carbonation is there too. i never made it back around to the regular smoke, i wish i did. im sure i would love it, but this chili version, well clever and well done, is just far too hot for my own enjoyment.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Draft. Served at Cafe 28 on 1/31/11 by Todd Haug himself for the celebration of 5 years of business. Poured into a snifter a dark black/brown color with a nice 2 finger tan head. The nose is just a smack in the face of aromas including; chocolate, spice, cinnamon, anise, and pepper. All of the aromas also have an underlying smoke note but not overpowering by any means. Medium mouthfeel. The taste again is pretty in your face with a smooth chocolate start followed with a building spiciness that leaves a slight burn at the end. Not sure if it is the spice or the alcohol that causes the burn at the end though. A great sipper but not sure how much of this I could drink without getting severe heartburn! This is one of those specialty beers that really defies a true category. Glad I got to try.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

Not all that spicy, just a little kick of heat. Paired very well with the delicious deconstructed tamale served in the brewhall restaurant. I would definitely pick this up if it were in cans.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I gave this a 4.5 rating two years ago. I had this beer tonight at Grizzly's on tap and, while I love Surly Smoke, this was either too young or unbalanced. I tasted the fabulous baltic porter flavors and a bit of chocolate...but the pepper flavor and heat overwhelmed, instead of complemented, this beer's rich base beer. I was able to finish my taster. But at this pepoer intensity, this a sampler - not a drinker. Off the mark.

Look - Nice lace, solid beer, dark brown
Smell - Pleasant, rich malt
Taste - This would be a great beer if the pepper intensity was toned down 50%. I really like pepper/hot beers...but only want the best (I've been really burned).
Mouthfeel - Very pleasant. Creamy, flavorful...

Given my respect for Surly Smoke, I will definitely try another sample of this variant when I can. All the flavors were great, just the balance was off...IMO.

Mole Smoke from Surly Brewing Company