Abrasive Ale - Cherry Wood Aged | Surly Brewing Company

surlybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mothman on 02-25-2011

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On cask at BLB for their surly party

Served in a chalice.

Served with 1 finger of thick creamy head. Great retention and great lacing. Color is a hazed sunset mango orange.

Aroma: pretty much a creamier version of abrasive. The oak shows a little, but I would have never guessed it to be cherry oaked. Very hoppy. Pine, grass, and floral flavors. Grapefruit citrus as well.

Taste: A little more oak shows here. It has the creaminess of your typical cask beer which I like here. Again, very hoppy with floral and pine notes. The citrus also shows more here.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and bitter. Medium bodied with a lower to medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little sticky. Pretty clean.

Overall, a really awesome dipa. It was very fresh. I don't know if I like it better than abrasive (depending on the batch I guess), but I did like it a lot. The oak was subtle, but it shows nicely to complement the beer in a way that it doesn't overpower the hops.

5/5  rDev 0%