Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

SŸX | Surly Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by MasterSki on 07-19-2012

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to my boy beeruser for sharing this one at our Labor Day tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, alcohol, wood, and spice. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Two words, booze bomb. While the ABV really isn't THAT high, it felt like it. The alcohol dominated this one on the flavor which definitely covered up some more subtle flavors that were present that I couldn't make out. The aroma however was pretty nice with a slight hint of funk which I found to be surprisingly out of place for the style, but a nice integration to the other things that were going on in this one. Not my favorite from Surly that I have had, but I have a feeling they got what they were aiming for on this one. Worth trying at least once for yourself to decide.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

I'm normally a somewhat harsh critic of Surly brews, but they impress me enough that I was willing to give this a try and I'm very glad I did.

Appearance: Orange/very faint golden color, significant head.

Smell: Smells a little fruity and a little boozy, both in a good way.

Taste: I poured this with some friends and we let our glasses sit for about ten minutes before taking the first sip. The flavor came out as thick and fruity, but not nearly as boozy as I expected, which is impressive given the 15% ABV. The booziness did seem to increase a bit as my glass sat and the temperature rose.

Body: Very potent overall. This beer has a thickness to it that I haven't before experienced in a beer and it leaves you with a warming feeling almost like a good whiskey.

In all, this is an excellent beer and I will make sure I never miss another Surly annual. I definitely recommend that you split a bottle with a friend or two, not so much because it packs a punch (which it does) but because I think temperature plays a significant role - pour your glasses, let them sit for ten minutes but not longer. Too warm and the booziness starts to overtake the excellent flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Hazy orange, good carbonation, very good head for a strong beer.

Smell: Sweet, big fruity aroma, malty, citrus.

Taste: Sweetness like hard candy, moves on to a boozy oranges and apricot mix, finishes with a little bitterness.

Finally got around to drinking my bottle of SYX. It's in a category by itself as far as taste, though the orange flavors remind me of the orange flavors in Bitter Brewer, only pumped up to 11 and boozy. It's always an interesting experiment for the Surly anniversary beers, and this is no exception.

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

750ml orange waxed bottle, the label says this is 15%abv. Purchased from France 44 online.

It pours a 24K gold with a 1 finger head of foam that refuses to shrink much and when it does, it leaves plenty of lacing behind.

I took this out straight from the fridge so I'm not getting much in the way of smell. What I can get is a fruity kind of sweetness, and some of the alcohol. I'll take some more whiffs when it warms up.

On first sip, the first thing that comes to mind is how dry it tastes to me. A fruity kind of dry; kind of bitter with some hints of tartness. Some sweet notes move in, you should see me shaking my head while swishing the beer in my mouth...or not; I bet it looks silly.lol.

The sweet tastes honey like but I'm not sure on that point. There's a massive attack from the potent alcohol going on now. Another sip in and yes, there's definitely more than a hint of tartness. Intended? In an American Strong Ale? I'll have to check the other reviews to see if anyone mentions it.

The finish is where I taste the fruity tartness the most, and the alcohol. It has a fine mouthfeel but I'm a little concerned over yes, I'll say it again, the tartness.

This is not what I expected from Surly given the style but maybe it's because of the, and I quote from the label, "Utilizing 6 wood species in a "Honey Comb" shape for aging" end of my quote of label.

Warming up during the session hasn't improved things from my palate's point of view. It now tastes dank, tart, alcoholic...not my cup of tea at all. The smell is about on the same level now. Completely off style if it is, in fact, supposed to be an ASA.

I wasn't a fan of the Five. Chalk me up as not of fan of Six. I'll take your regular offerings any day, Surly.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One inch white head in a dark golden/amber body. Great head retention and lacing considering the ABV.

Nice woody/honey aroma.

"White grapey". I feel like there is a sweet honey alcoholy finish. Leaves the mouth burning from the booze.

Medium mouthfeel, adaquate carbonation.

Woo, pretty different strong ale here. Different attributes. To sum it up I would say a honey booze bomb, at least for the time being.

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

You gotta try this! This is a masterpiece.

Beautiful honey colored amber tinted pour.

Nose: All kinds of sweet honeyed fruits in the nose. RIPE peaches, mango, pineapple, melons. Little hint of tart/sourness inhaled.
Wow.

Taste: Booze, fades after a few sips, but the mild warming remains throughout. Little tingling bite. Fucking ambrosia. Same ripe fruits as in the nose, honeyed is the word. Mildly honeyed. Tartness, just a nip, takes the edge of sweetness off a bit and perfectly interacts with subtle citric/grapefruit hops and a clearly spicy bite to produce one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

Body: nowhere near as cloying as I'd suspect from the nose and mouth, but a bit of that viscous nature. Outrageously quaffable for the abv and sweetness.

Surly amazes me.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a very dark, orange hue. A little cloudy, with small, slighty fluffy white head. The lighter color surprised me a bit.

S: Stone fruits that evolves to a sweeter citrus. Getting lots of wood with some pleasing floral notes and dry, grainy malts.

T: Malty grains hit me first with some woody citrus. Definitely boozy, alcohol sting & some astringent characters in the finish. Tropical fruits, pine, with some thick toasted caramel color. Punchy, earthy. A sipper for sure.

MF: Thick & chewy, with a prickly dry finish. A bit more carbonated than I would have liked.

O: Aggressive and big, pretty interesting. The wood characters provide some depth that really takes the citrus and malty elements to a different level. A bit boozy. I wonder what this will taste like in a few years.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Had a glass at 3 Squares in Maple Grove. Yup, that's a strong beer. Oddly, there was a clear sour funk when the beer was fresh off the tap and faded as it warmed. It tasted like a younger sourness, and, I suspect, could make this beer really interesting in a couple years.

This is a thick, fruity beer with a dry funky edge. I get apricot, marmalade, and tangerine up front and then a more toasty fresh oak barrel kick and wood astringency (not too much, just a touch). It's understandably thick for the strength, and well-balanced by the hops. It's a very good beer as is, but I think in a 12-24 months it could be great.

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%

Surly makes great, style-bending beers. I've heard this one described as unclassifiable, so I'm really curious what it's like. Enjoyed 15 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a medium very orange amber. Clear, with about one finger of whitish head. Decent retention and lacing. Not particularly attractive.

Has a tingly sizzle in the nose. Hoppy in a way that's abrasive to the nose, but in a strangely pleasant manner. It's a blast of all kinds of acids, oils, and esters, so that I have a hard time pulling out anything to put a name on.

Taste is very, very strange. It's really hard to pin down what you're tasting, because it's so different from anything else I've encountered. It's very malty and powerfully hoppy. Tastes like a cross between apple juice and bug spray, that is somehow amazing. I can't even put together how those two things could combine to make something good, but they do. Has a rich base sweetness that's overlain by a tingly buzz of bitter. It really reminds me of when I get DEET on my lips. And yet I like it.

Weighs on the tongue, like slick syrupy oil. Rather dry finish.

An interesting and quite unique beer, that I find really difficult to describe. But it is darn tasty. It's like a wall of sound, with little snippets jumping out from time to time, but I'm often lost in the delicious static and noise. It strikes me as almost masochistic, in that much of the enjoyment comes from the way in which it assaults my senses.

Last note: it's incredible how well the alcohol is hidden. I couldn't even imagine that I was drinking a 15% ABV beer, if I hadn't read the label. Very dangerously drinkable.

SŸX from Surly Brewing Company