Overrated West Coast IPA | Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
surlybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

It's been said; "Its easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly's a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day it's just a beer. If yo like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanyboys grab it.

Added by MasterSki on 02-05-2013

Ratings: 1,659 |  Reviews: 245

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

16oz can poured into a shaker pint. Canned 10/16/13.

A - Golden with a haze. White cap of head recedes to a full lid. Sticky lacing all over the sides simply from swirling.

S - Bright and balanced citrus and pine hop qualities. Jumps from the glass. Grainy base malt.

T - Prickly pine hop flavors the whole way. Mild maltiness makes a quick appearance midway. Nice bite of bitterness cleanses right at the finish tingling the back roof of my mouth. Hop flavor hangs on long after.

M - Dry, medium body, medium-light carbonation.

O - Great one sided IPA. Showcases American hops. Bitterness is substantial. I typically prefer a more balanced IPA but they accomplished what they were setting out for.

Recommendation - Great midsummer IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

I got a can of Surly's Overrated West Cost IPA that my friend brought over to share with me. I've i always wanted to try some Surly beers, but since they don't distribute to Michigan I haven't had the chance to and I'm pretty interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Canned in December 2013. Poured from a tall 16oz pint can into a snifter.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice patriotic look to it and the combination of the can and name makes it pretty eye catching. It poured a fairly clear light amber color that took on more of a burnt orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of frothy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice rings of patchy lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops being the first to show up and they impart some herbal and piney aromas with the citrus hops sticking out the most imparting some nice citrus rind, grapefruit and apricot like aromas. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, grainy, lightly toasted and light cracker like aromas with some nice bready aromas in the background. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it's pretty much what I expect from a nice West Coast IPA.

T- The taste starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart all those hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma with a light grassy flavor and the citrus hops still stick out the most imparting a nice citrus rind and grapefruit like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, light sweet malt, lightly toasted, cracker, and bready like flavors with a little big of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness followed a lightly toasted malt and citrus hop like aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty good and it's what I would expect from the style.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of a west coast style IPA, it had that signature piney and citrus grapefruit aspect that I always look for in the style and the malt base seemed to work well with this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think a couple pint cans would be the perfect amount and I could see this being a good a beer to enjoy in the summer time. What I like the most about this beer was that it was very true to style. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that was wrong with it or anything that I would change, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer if I ever saw it and I would recommend this to anyone who likes West Coast Style IPAs. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer and I thought it was a nice take on a West Coast style IPA and it wasn't overly bitter, I think it would be even better if it was a little more fresher. This beer made for a good first impression for Surly and I will for sure get some more of their beers if I ever see them. It's not my favorite West Coast Style IPA, but it's pretty good and above average. Good job guys, keep up the good work.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured correctly into tulip style stemware For maximum sensory pickup. Leave it to surly to knock this one out of the park. It's nice to have other flavors on the radar other than just an aggressively hopped-out brew typical of most west coast style IPAs (which I have no problem with either). The obvious grapefruit, Carmel, and florals are there along with a few surprises of burnt marshmallow, butterscotch, with some lime peel on the finish. Because it's not the typical hopBOMB west coast style and the hop-load is a hair more modest it makes this one very drinkable even in más quantities. I would easily place it in my top 5 west coAst style IPAs. Never disappointed surly, word to your moms.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served from the tap.

The beer looked clear and amber.

Strong citrus-hop nose with a hint of butterscotch.

The taste was a little bitter, butterscotch, citrus-hops. The hops were most apparent and left a dryness to the tongue.

Would I buy it again? Maybe. It was good, but there are much better IPAs out there.

Overrated West Coast IPA from Surly Brewing Company