Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

SeVIIn | Surly Brewing Company

surlybrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by MasterSki on 06-20-2013

2.43/5  rDev -38.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy deep orange. Big white head. Medium collar.

Smell - Boozy. Toasty malt. Phenols. Lightly spicy.

Taste - Yikes. Boozy. Caramel and spicy rye. Lots of wheat. Phenolic Belgian yeast. And more booze.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Medium carbonation and heavy.

Overall - This is downright unpleasant.

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

It is what it is. a good Belgian. nothing spectacular, nothing mind-blowing.... I REALLY wish b.a. would add a "price" tab to the required fields, because this like most all other surly would get a BIG OLD FAT "1.00 - AWFUL" rating from me. I really hope that once surly opens their new 20 million dollar brewery that their prices come down a bit, in fact that what i'm attributing the price gouging on all their beers to - they gotta pay for that new brewery somehow right? so yeah 19.99 for a 750....i'm sure other surly crazed suckers paid more...serves ya right! I feel like a chump for the fact that I shelled out so much for this one but I had to try it since I skipped the "pentagram" and surly syx was pretty solid plus the bottle art is awesome as it always is with surly.
a: i'm not a Belgian expert by any means but to me this looks more like a dubbel than a tripel, its clear dark brown with an amber tint. half inch off white head
s:smells like a normal Belgian to me nothing really pops, some clove, some yeast, some flowery grassiness and what you'd expect.
t: not bad, nothing great, typical Belgian.
m: a little too much carbonation for me like an 8 outta 10, 7 being higher than I care for.
overall: another overprice mediocre beer for the guys that I have a love/hate relationship with. oh well its to be expected from surly, at least I got a cool bottle to add to the collection!

3.05/5  rDev -23%

375 mL bottled purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, poured into my FFF Teku glass, drank 10/9/13 over several hours while homebrewing

A: 2/3 - golden-brown coloration, little clarity (cannot see and read through), initial tannish rocky head on first pour resolved into subtle glass lacing; low-to-moderate carbonation and thick alcohol legs as expected for 12.5% ABV

S: 8/12 - rye malts, Belgian-yeast stone fruit esters, little hop flavors

T: 11/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is an intense sweetness - I suspect it's from Special B and other specialty malts - as well as some fruit flavors - plum, raisin and apple; in the middle of the mouth, these flavors persisted and unfortunately did not resolve - therefore, they sat cloying on the tongue in a sticky sweet (and unpleasant aftertaste); the only thing, for me, to off-set it was the big alcohol character but this was really a mix of sweet and hot

M: 3/5 - big, chewy body (provided by the high alcohol content); appropriate carbonation

O: 6/10 - I am one of the biggest Surly fans going in the DMV area (ask some friends how I rave about Abrasive and Darkness), and, as much as it pains me to admit, this is hands down the worst Surly beer that I've ever drank, and, as a result, I don't understand the generally high ratings here; it's unplesantly cloying and too boozy, and, to be honest, I don't see it really settling into something more enjoyable because I don't think that the malt bill is too complex; I paid $29.99 for it in D.C. expecting something awesome and, although it's no fault of Surly's, I feel like I was raped

TOTAL = 30/50

3.07/5  rDev -22.5%

Looks good. Unfortunately it loses me after that. Aroma is bananas and booze. Taste is very sweet. Caramel, banana, hard liqour. My moustache is starching up from all the residual sugar in the beer. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Perhaps with some age this one will tatse better to me. Wow, not a fan, but that just like my opinion man.

3.09/5  rDev -22%

750ml brown glass bottle with gold (possibly beeswax?) waxed-over pressure cap and printed-on label art acquired at a Minneapolis bottle shop and served into a stem-tulip in me sister's gaff in low altitude Minneapolis, MN. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. No ABV is listed on the bottle.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger head of white colour. Decent cream and thickness. Head retention is poor - maybe 30 seconds tops (not including the floater ring it resigns to, which lasts maybe 1.5 minutes more). No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a nontransparent nontranslucent dull amber-brown. Abundant fine floating yeast particles are plainly visible.

Overall, it looks nothing like a Belgian Style Pale if that's what they're going for, but then the description claims they're after a Belgian Style Ale, so I'm optimistic. Not quite sure how this is meant to be Trappist, but okay. Not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here.

Sm: Belgian candi sugar, plum fruit, brown sugar, Belgian amber malts, bready/crust malts, caramel, and distinctly Trappist yeast - which I love. It's biscuiy with that fruity edge that really evokes a fine Belgian character. Hints of fig. Maybe dates or prunes; the fruit is a bit timid.

I'm not finding any rye (no subtle spiciness), oats (no refined smoothness), or wheat (no crisp leavened body). I also don't find clove or Banana. The label's description is off, at least for the aroma.

No alcohol is detectable.

A pleasant, appealing aroma with a distinct Belgian character. Average to mild in strength.

T/Mf: Brown sugar and bready/crust malts. Plum fruit. Stonefruit. Some light fig. No prune or dates. It's a biteen jammy. Belgian amber malts. Some biscuit malt. Light candied character. Hardly any hop presence is noticeable - maybe a light complementary fruitiness. Caramel. Trappist yeast is obvious here, with plenty of subtly fruity Belgian character. Rich, biscuity, and vitamin-filled. There's not too much sediment. Faint raisin, even dried grape (as pretentious as that sounds). Fermented cherry.

Not as well balanced as it should be. A bit too sweet; probably too candied as well. Has a cohesive enough build, but it's far from gestalt. Shockingly shallow depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. Lacks complexity and subtlety - especially for a Belgian style ale. Not intricate or nuanced. I'm a bit disappointed given the brewery, but I guess there's a reason they're not known for their subtle styles. You go to Surly for IPAs, imperial stouts, and sours. Subtlety isn't their strong suit.

Not finding any brettanomyces yeast.

No alcohol comes through, which is quite an accomplishment.

Smooth, wet, unrefreshing, and nicely thick. Medium-bodied. Decent presence on the palate. Plump. Could be more accessible. Fairly filling. The texture suits the flavour profile decently, but it doesn't feel custom-tailored to it. A biteen overcarbonated.

Not crisp, oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Dr: Downable but forgettable. A real disappointment for a Surly anniversary brew. There are elements I like, but ultimately it falls short. What it does succeed at is hiding its ABV nicely. I wouldn't get it again, and it's not Surly's strongest fare, but I'm glad I got to try it. A nice brew for the Thanksgiving holiday, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. As a Trappist style devotee, I'm pretty let down.

And the rye/oats/wheat? Nowhere to be found. But I think that's a good thing. You don't muck up a traditional Belgian with those additions to the grain bill.

I'd recommend setting this one down for 1-2 years. It might develop, and at this price point, it needs to.

An unambitious safe attempt at a traditional style that ultimately falls short, but surprisingly not due to its unorthodox grain bill - just its lack of mastery of the essentials of the style.

Surly should stick to their strong suits - IPAs, imperial stouts, and sours - and should abandon attempts at intricate styles like this. As much as I like Surly, they're just not cut out for traditional Belgians.

Lowish C+

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

3.12/5  rDev -21.2%

3.34/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Slight haze on a rich dark amber/light copper. Small off-white head has a loose bubble structure. Drops to a small cap and noose fluffy collar. Some tiny spots of lacing.

Smell: Fruity. Banana, ripe cherry, and apple. Slight funk adds some earthy elements along with a bunch of clove. Some backing fruit sweetness along with a very faint tart note. Belgian yeast is minimal. Some caramelized malt sweetness backs it all up. A lot more cherry as it warms. Some vaguely spicy esters.

Taste: Yeasty. Candi sugar sweetness over a powdery yeast. Spicy esters coupled with some serious ripe banana and a touch of tropical fruit. Some mango with a mild tart cherry. Funky with a touch of damp earth. Warming alcohol on the back of the sip. Malts run a touch bready with a solid caramel sweetness. The longer it sits the more clove and ripe banana jump out. Fruit leather. A bit raw and grassy.

Mouthfeel: Medium pushing toward full body with a moderate carbonation. Slightly dry, but mostly clean finish.

Overall: 7...7...7...wait, what?

An obvious experiment for Surly. Carries their typical brash style, but lacks a little overall complexity. Crazy fruity though.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Washington square.

Beige head. Lots of lace. Color is a golden orange. Vibrant.

Flavors of very sweet malts. A lot of bready flavors. Candied sugars. Bananas and cloves. Wheat. A lot of spice. I think it is brewed with rye which makes sense. Just massive malts. I get a bit of pineapple as well. Very strong and boozy.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Medium feel to it, but you can tell it is strong.

Overall, this beer is way to hot right now to enjoy. It is too sweet and too malty. Needs some time to round out a bit. Just not for me.

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This ale was orange in colour, and smelled of belgian yeasts and rye, with aromas of honey and orange. It tasted pretty good, fruity and yeasty, with a strong alcoholic flavor and finished with bitter citrus hops. Plenty of flavor with a medium body.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably.

SeVIIn from Surly Brewing Company