Jaipur IPA | Thornbridge Brewery

Jaipur IPAJaipur IPA

Thornbridge Brewery
England, United Kingdom
thornbridgebrewery.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2006

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

2.64/5  rDev -34.2%

From www.elcervecero.es. playing Kings Bounty Dark Side, in Legado de Yuste cup. Unpleasant taste, like detergent, but not as bad as the Shipwrecked DIPA

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Im not getting the hype on this one. Light in color. Smells funky like a farmhouse ale. Tastes about the same. Slightly bitter. Plenty of carbonation. If it didn't say IPA on it, I would think I was drinking a farmhouse ale. Maybe it's old.... Was new at a respected bottleshop tho.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

JAIPUR, an English style IPA that works better as a farmhouse ale. If memory (and a little creative googling to back up my memory) serves me an English style IPA should be pretty high in alcohol and rocking the world in malts. The malt is there but the alcohol at a paltry 5.9% seems weak for an IPA although the flavor is a wicked whiskey barrel boozy head-dizzier that makes you feel like a hangover is imminent.

Theres no acidity here, no pleasant balance of citrus and pine, nothing to indicate I'm drinking an IPA. Like I eluded to earlier this has more qualities of a farmhouse ale mislabeled as an IPA.

Not a huge fan, if you like Fantome Saison or Four Play (both farmhouse ales) you wont mind taking a dip into this and telling all your friends how you're expanding your horizons. Outside of that this is easily forgettable, not "bad" but IPA fans wont be pleased.

Cheers

3.09/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yellow color. Hoppy. Bit. Sound balance, but not my cup of tea.

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%

I had this on cask at churchkey. I realize this is an English IPA and it is meant to be this way, but I just don't enjoy these non-hoppy IPAs. Kind boring.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Handpump half-pint at the Coal Hole.

A: Slightly hazy gold body under a thin white head. Not much in the way of retention, but nice lace. Not bad.

S: Bitter, floral hops, bready malt, and a hint of sour, fruity funk - lacto?

T: Definitely a little funky, but not in a terrible way. Sour fruit opens things up, followed by some biscuity malt and a hugely bitter, grapefruity finish. Flawed, but nice intensity.

M: Hugely effervescent for cask, with tons of fine soft carbonation filling out a medium body.

O: I assumed at first that this was an example of a poorly-kept cask, but it didn't taste stale or oxidized - just slightly infected with crisply sour lacto (and hence the fault of the brewer, and something I believe deserves to be mentioned in a review). I kind of enjoyed it, but can't score it too highly for the style. If I get a chance to try it again, I certainly will - the grapefruit finish suggested that a cleaner version might be really tasty.

Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -19%

500ml bottle: best before 1st Nov 2012, poured into my Abbot Ale glass tankard during an IPA and Porter tasting evening on 11th Aug 2012.

My cask review of this beer wasn't overly complimentary: this bottle review is a bit better.

The beer is a citrus hop brew: it's always hazy/cloudy, smells and tastes hoppy and citrusy. It's fine, but not great in my eyes.

Still can't see the fascination of this beer: nothing wrong with it, but I'm underwhelmed compared to most of my mates.

Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge Brewery