Mother Of All Storms | Pelican Pub & Brewery

Pelican Pub & Brewery
Oregon, United States
pelicanbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008

Ratings: 1,977 |  Reviews: 473

08 TPS (4.8)
A month ago a friend and I took a very long trip to Pacific City. First sight was the amazing Oregon coastline. I have to say that the brewery is one of the sweetest sights I have ever seen. Literally, its right on the beach! I knew I was in for a treat. Pick up a three cases of their finest. I drove home with that silly grin of accomplishment.
Went home served it in my Rochefort glass, I thiought it was fitting.
Deep deep red with a very creamy head that bubbles out.
The smell was deep with a rich malty goodness. I have a hard time deciphering minute aromas. Lets just say " It was divine".
Taking my first sip let me know it was finely carbonated, very clean. To follow up with amazing complex flavors. The great thing was that the high ABV was tamed quite well.
After thew bottle I felt blissful with a warm fuzziness that comes from excellent beer. I'm so glad I know where to get more,

Great beer, one of the reasons I moved to the NW!

09 Batch (5.0)
This years TPS is sublime. The base beer, 08 Stormwatchers, is a lot better than the previous. Thus giving the ale a wonderful creaminess and balance it didn't have before (I didn't realize this until I did a side-by-side tasting). Big notes of vanilla, caramel , prunes, raisins, and a little bourbon makes this years batch worth every drop. I have to give a standing ovation to Pelican for taking TPS up a notch. They have been producing some amazing beers under the radar and TPS is the cream of the crop. Great World Class Beer!!!

This is the 2009 vintage. Thanks Mike!

This is my first review, and what a beer to kick it off with!

Pouring this beer into my glass reminds me of that vanilla cherry dr pepper a little bit with all the smells. I can definitely smell the bourbon and malts too. It looks like a dark brown color. The foam settles quickly and all thats left is a nice set of intersecting carbonated bubbles rising up the edge of the glass.

The taste of the beer is just like the smell - very thick and chewy and just the right amount of carbonation. I taste nuts, bread, sweet dark fruits.

This is easy to drink. High ABV not a concern. It's actually a little dry swallowing with a nice warmth. Well balanced.

Parts of this beer reminds me of the Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine but more complex, brewed in my state. If I could find another bottle of this, I'd love to do a side by side tasting with that.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery