Mother Of All Storms | Pelican Pub & Brewery

Pelican Pub & Brewery
Oregon, United States
pelicanbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008

Reviews: 464 | Ratings: 1,942
4.57/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to BigTomZ for the bottle. 2011 vintage. I absolutely love barrel-aged English barleywines, so the real question is how much I'll like (or love?) this one. Tasted 2 March 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours a very deep cherry wood red, almost mahogany. Clear coming out of the bottle, but so dark it's almost opaque. Just a touch of head, gone fast, and little lacing. Okay with that.

Smell bursts with that incredible brightness that all the best barleywines have. A divine blend of dark fruit, backed by brown sugar, with a soft touch of well-blended whiskey.

Taste is a small step down from the smell, but still really really good. It's just a bit more sluggish, with less pop and vividness than the smell. The bourbon comes on powerfully in the latter part, but backs off right when I want it to. Front end is brown sugar, molasses, plums, and everything dark and sweet that goes along with them. But where the smell was bright reddish, the taste is more muddled and orange.

Mouthfeel is really nice. Big, heavy, and sticky. Carbonation is exactly where it should be - right in the middle, enough to move things around, but not so much as to disrupt the flavors settling. And it sticks to my mouth, allowing those fabulous flavors to linger.

This is up there with the best. Haven't had Sucaba recently enough to say which I prefer, but this is in the same league. Among the top barleywines I've had. Fantastic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to beachstrength49 for the bottle.

Appearance: Deep reddish purplish brown. Slight haze. Head is light tan with a loose structure and minimal retention. Drops to a tiny collar. No lacing and no cap. Barrel influence is obvious.

Smell: Raisins, plums, figs, coconut, vanilla, caramel, toffee, and more. Booze with some seriously cooked and caramelized malt sugars. Sweet with raw sugar. The base bourbon is a nice compliment to the burly malt body. Some toasted nuts with some cocoa and dark cherry. Mega fruity. Slight peppery note from the alcohol. Warming pushes some of the bourbon down and IPS the coconut and dark fruit.

Taste: Syrupy booze. A ton of dark fruit. Plums, raisins, figs, dark cherry. A solid punch of vanilla, toffee, and caramel. Layers of coconut with a sweeter almost macaroon thrown in there. A touch of toasted malt with some roasted elements as well. Bourbon adds a nice layer of own and boozy sweetness. Cooked and caramelized for ages. Some raw sugar and a ton of toffee. Deeply complex with some alcohol on the back. Boozy, but not 14% by any means. Warming smooths everything out and let's the dark fruit push up.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy medium pushing full body. Minimal carbonation. Lingering sticky sweetness.

Overall: That's a wicked big storm!

This is one hell of a bourbon barrel barleywine. Layers of malt sweetness completely enhanced by the bourbon barrel. A ton of complexity. Well worth the fight to track down.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%

2010 release, big thanks to Joe for hooking me up with this, shared with Smoked.

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a deep dark ruby color with a hint of almost purple about it that is fairly clear and plum-like in appearance. A finger of frothy yellowish stained tan head appears and fades leaving spots atop the brew and on the glass.

The aroma is deep and fruity like plums, raisin, toffee, caramel and sweet, smooth vanilla notes. The barrel aged and bourbon presence in this brew is amazing. The vanilla aspect is amazing, it's one of my favorite characteristics of barrel aged brews. The abv tingles the nose with a fusel touch and light medicinal quality and herbal smelling hops. Overall the smell of this brew is quite candied sweet and enjoyable. The alcohol gets a bit tangy as it warms.

The taste is bold with alcohol and contrasted with herbal hops that give way to a light medicinal flavor. The bold flavors of this brew part to show a light oxidized quality, herbal hops and a drying sense of alcohol. Notes of oak and the barrel aging presence of vanilla flavoring mix with toffee and caramel sweetness. More sips yield dark fruity flavors like raisin, plum, dates and an overall candied sweetness.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a lighter level of carbonation but not too low. This is an exceptional brew. The abv is fitting and not distracting with all the other flavors. A very solid sipper with a toasted quality that only evolves as it warms. Fantastic brew that satisfies the sweet tooth.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%

Courtesy of jwjon1--Thanks Jason! Served at ~55F in a 22 oz DFH Snifter.

A: Pours a very dark ruby/brown. Hard to tell in this glass, although I would guess it to be only slightly cloudy. Almost non-existent head hints toward low carbonation.

S: Rich bourbon and caramel layers greet the nose. Vanilla/oak makes an appearance as well. Spirit-like boozy character works itself in well. Very well integrated, reminds me of Central Waters BBBW, but perhaps a bit heavier on the malt and easier on the hops.

T: Sweet caramel and vanilla up front, moving along to intense but not overwhelming (or cloying) layers of sweet caramel flavour. Bourbon comes near the finish, cleansing the palate with a spirit-like dryness.

M: While initially it seems a bit thick, it proceeds to glide along with a velvetesque smoothness. A little sticky, but near perfect for a beasty barleywine such as this.

D: Fantastic for the style. It integrates the alcohol very well with the varieties of flavour. The carbonation is very accommodating as well. A storm I would gladly weather when reaching for a big brew such as this. Delicious.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to corby and Gillard for this one. I have been lucky enough to have it twice in the past month.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of brown with amber highlights. Medium tan head leaves behind some nice thick spotty lace.

S: Nice sweet malt notes. Tons of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Bourbon soaked apples with hints of oak, and vanilla.

T: Same as aroma. Wonderful malt sweetness, with the bourbon providing a great compliment.

M: Full in body, rich, smooth, creamy, EXCELLENT!

D: A damn fine brew, one I could sip on for hours.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared with Dave & Joe for NBS. Served in a mini-pint glass.

A - A finger of dark tan/mocha foam that dissipates to a thick ring and leaves a bit of light film. Transparent ruby red-brown body that really glows when held to the light. Not much in the way of lace, but still quite impressive for such a high-gravity brew.

S - The smell is a wonderful combination of toasted marshmallow, light coconut, milk chocolate, burnt brown sugar, a bit of wood, and a touch of grape/raisin flavor that I tend to get more from old ales (like Papier). The booze and bourbon are extremely understated, especially compared to something like Barrel-Aged Behemoth.

T - The taste isn't quite as complex, with more roastiness and tannic bite - there's still some chocolate and sugar, but there's also some multi-grain bread qualities bouncing around. Finishes with a lot of tannins and barrel, as well as some roastiness, but it's not overly bitter or astringent. Pretty good - should probably be closer to 4.25 at this stage.

M - The mouthfeel is wonderful. Big and chewy, viscous, full bodied, with a dry finish that has only a touch of residual stickiness. Light carbonation tingle that keeps things from getting too syrupy and heavy, but not harsh either.

D - I keep sipping this one. It's very mellow considering the ABV. That said, the aftertaste does get a touch fatiguing - I don't think I'd ever have more than a bottle in one sitting. I think I like Abacus a little more, but this didn't disappoint either.

2009

A - Pours a ruby tinted root beer stream with a short lived dark tan head that recedes to nothing. Only a few sips in, but no lace. The appearance should be a 4, but I'm adjusting it to bump the taste to ~5.

S - Damn this smells great. As I started pouring this I could smell the sweet sweet bourbon. Fantastic toffee, raisins, oak, vanilla, and I think some nuts?

T - Thick brown sugar, vanilla, and rum soaked raisins. This is freakin' delicious, and is making a great dessert night cap. I might be crazy, but it reminds me of Nutella a little bit...

M/D - There really isn't much of an alcohol presence, but I also enjoy a glass of good bourbon. The mouthfeel is awesome; oily and coats your whole mouth with light carbonation. It's a sipper, but one I seriously can't put down.

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. 2012 Vintage, bottled on 11/5/12. I was lucky enough to get a case of this shipped from the Pelican Pub.

A- Pours a very dark red/ maroon with a small amount of a khaki colored head that quickly fades. Some light comes through but overall it's the darkest barleywine I have seen.

S- Aromas of oak and bourbon are most apparent to me. As it warms some vanilla seems to come through as well.

T- Starts off smooth with oak and bourbon notes like the smell. Drinks hot but is an easier sipper as it warms. I get notes of vanilla and toffee, as well as some bready malts and raisin/ dark fruits. This one drinks very nice.

M- Medium to heavy body, low on the carbonation, a nice sipper that drinks hot but smooth.

A nice beer for sure. This and Sucaba are up there as my favorite English Barley Wines I have had. Luckily I have several more bottles of this to age and see how it mellows out.

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle.

A: Pours a dark murky reddish-brown. Big fizzy dark tan/almost brown head. Interesting coloration on the head, haven't really seen exactly that shade before. Fades at a moderate pace, leaving no lacing at all behind. Minimal head retention, fizzes out quickly.

S: Whoa. Big, huge malty notes. Loads of brown sugar, caramel and molasses primarily. A bit of vanilla too. Touch of dark fruits, mainly raisin. Super sickly sweet. Wonderful.

T: Notable bourbon up front with caramel and toffee and vanilla. Mixes in with brown sugar, molasses, even honey? Just brief hints of raisin and fig but the sugary sweetness is really what stands out here. Sweetness fades into the finish, leaving a bit of oak, toffee and the bourbon burn. Lingering bourbon and oak between sips.

M: Low carbonation and very heavy body makes this one thick and syrupy

O: This is big and malty and ultra sweet. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a 14% bourbon barrel english barleywine. Wonderful beer, the only real fault I could find is when the bourbon stands alone in the aftertaste, it tastes kinda like cheapish bourbon. I'm guessing evan williams like previous vintages. Regardless, not nearly as hot as you'd expect for a fresh 14% barrel-aged barleywine, hell this bottle is barely 3 months old. Honestly, sucaba has nothing on this beer, this should be #1 handily.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Wow, review # 1000! I never imagined I would make it this far. It's been an interesting road, some good beers, some bad drain pours, some surprises. I've learned a lot over the time. But yet, there are so many more to go. So for awesome number 1000, comes one I've been waiting for for a while. As I could not land a Kaggen! this is a good rebound. Thanks to imperialking for this beauty. This is the '09 vintage.

I keep balking at opening it, not quite sure if I want to yet, but I've come this far, and I need an awesome beer for the 1000th, so here. I finally bite my tongue and pop! It pours a very small fizzy but darker colored bubbled head that fades to little pockets of bubbles fairly quickly. The beer itself is super dark, barely any light getting through on the edges, revealing a ruby molasses brown color.

The nose wafted out as soon as it cracked open, with bourbon just pouring out. Lots of great bourbon aromas, some oak, toasty oak, a bit of vanilla coming from that. That rounds off the awesome malt aromas, plenty of dark malts and reddish malts all smashed together in a big heavy nose. Some dark fruits, hints of plum and date/fig, candy aroma like the candy on a candy covered apple, plenty of caramel and vanilla, some light chocolate, light bitter chocolate and creamy, very light hint of booze, and a nice soft aged malt aroma. So heavenly, complex, and just awesome. As it warms the bourbon comes out a bit more, bringing some woody esters with it too. I just hope the taste doesn't let down now.

Taste starts rich and creamy, lots of dark malts, chocolate, very light roast, some reddish malts, creamy smooth malts, rich and luscious, some dark fruits again bringing fig, plum, hint of raisin, and more, which gives a nice chocolate covered raisin and candy flavor. Then again loaded with bourbon flavor, not so much as the nose and as it would be fresh I imagine, but a really nice bourbon flavor. Some light toasted oak and barrel flavor coming with that delicious bourbon. THere is also a light warming booze, and hint of tingly booze as I hold it in my mouth for about a minute. Some aged soft malt flavors come through, like a nice old ale or, sic, barleywine. A light juicy malt bomb, light smooth and creamy oat feel, it has quite a smooth but heavy stout feel as well, almost like a cross between a big stout and barleywine. I get the slightest hint of earthy hops, adding a light bitterness to the nice sweetness and luscious feel. Hints of molasses and caramel, as well as vanilla, round off the complex and awesome flavor. As it finishes, a mouth coating malt flavor just sticks all over, reminding me of the flavor for a few minutes, a very slight tingle from the booze comes and goes quickly. It drinks much smoother than 13.5%. A light chocolate and candy flavor linger, as well as aged malts and dark fruits, the bourbon is mostly gone at this point.

Mouth is full bodied, fairly heavy, luscious, smooth, thick, and a little velvety, with lower but decent enough carbonation for an aged barleywine.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I was glad this was #1000. It definitely lived up to the hype, and maybe more. Lots of delicious soft aged dark malts, chocolate, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, oak, very complex but very tasty. No real off flavors at all, even with all the dark malts there was no minerality quality or burnt flavors. The booze is there but drinks well for 13.5%. Very slight hops there, but not much, which I'm sure is helpful for aging it, and perhaps I should try it fresh sometime. A slow drinker, but I could sip this all day. The one negative at all is the lack of carbonation, but then again almost 2 years old, a heavy slightly syrupy barleywine at 13.5% the lower carbonation doesn't hurt too much.

Yay, 1000 reviews! Release the balloons and confetti, just don't let them fall in my awesome beer. Thanks to all the awesome traders who helped me get here, and more in the future. Can't wait to try more awesome beers, and wish I could just sip beer all day and never have to work, but I gotta pay for the beer somehow. And now I'm enjoying this with a little bit of dark chocolate and it's so transcending, they accent each other so well, I'm in heaven.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Beer #7 Smells like I a pulled a monster out of the fridge! This beer was lightly chilled and served in a snifter.

A- 3.5 The body of the beer is a dark brown but when held to the light turns a very striking almost ruby tone. The head is non existant and an occasional bubble pops up.

S-4.5 This one will definitely hit your sweet tooth. Brown sugar, molasses, caramel, vanilla, toffee, a bit of bourbon. I love bourbon! If I knew a bit more about bourbon I think I could really get into it.

T- 4.5 This beer is very sweet. If you dont go for that kind of thing keep away. The beer doesnt hit cloying sweet levels but delivers a bourbon infused combination of the aroma. No alcohol is present in the flavors and I am really sure this beer is alcoholic. Hell its nearly kicking my ass.

M- 5.0 This beer has a very full slick body. The carbonation is low but I think it works with the beers nature. Not a trace of alcohol in the mouth. I bet this beer is in excess of 12%.

O- 5.0 I am really loving this beer. Its way sweet and way malty and very very alcoholic. The flavors and aromas are very well balanced. The alcohol is present but not in the aroma, taste or mouth. I think this beer is what bliss taste like.

The Reveal: A bit at a loss for what this could be I know its had a barrel treatment. Strong ale or Barley Wine? Pelican Pub and Brewery 2010 Mother of All Storms. Barrel aged barleywine. This was on my wants list! Thanks Phelps for yet another great beer drinking experience.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks goes to sweemzander for opening this bottle at our last tasting. 2010 release.

A: Almond brown with dark red edges. About one finger of beige head. Small amount of lace left behind. No cap.

S: Smooth buttery toffee and caramel are the opening act. Mild tart fruit, vanilla, oak and smooth bourbon follow. Malt and hops are sort of an after thought. Smells terrific.

T: The flavor is just as smooth as the nose. Toffee and caramel rolled in slightly bitter hops. Dark fruit, brown sugar, tobacco, molasses, wet wood and bourbon. Hardly any heat.

M: Creamy smooth medium body. Just enough carbonation to keep things lively.

D: This is my second time enjoying this beer. The wait between tastings was almost a year. I really hope I don't have to wait that long to try it again.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This English style barley-wine was served to me in a 12 oz snifter, without a head. The serving was the darkest brown you could imagine, it was impenetrable. Aside from the very few bubbles spotted when this beer was served, there was nothing there besides the darkest brown liquid.

The smell was of heavy malt syrup, soy sauce, and some vanilla. Super sweet smelling soy sauce :)

The taste = malt syrup, vanilla, soy sauce, faded rich dark fruit, and sweet bread.

The mouthfeel for The Mother of All Storms was decadent. How? It was smooth, no carb, syrupy, and rich feeling.

Overall, this is a decidedly, smooth, rich, balanced, well-crafted, English Barley-wine that is perched atop the barley-wine food chain. It is easy drinking and dangerous. I have not had a comparable barley-wine.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought to a local tasting, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2010 MoaS vintage.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

s - Smells of caramel malts, dark fruits, bourbon, molasses, oak, and light vanilla. I loved the smell; I thought it was very complex and balanced, and I didn't think the bourbon overpowered the nose. One of the better smelling barleywines I've had.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, molasses, caramel malts, dark fruits, chocolate, and light vanilla. Alcohol is definitely present, but again, not overpowering. I like it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Feels amazing.

d - I thought this was a really good barleywine; one of the better ones I've had. I loved the nose and think for the ABV, it is pretty drinkable. Glad I've got some more of this, looking forward to holding onto most of them.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A deep ruby red with almost no head.

S: Deep caramel malts are in the front of this beer followed by a rich bourbon aroma.

T: Rich caramel malts are primary flavor. The smoothness of the oak and bourbon cut through this very nicely.

M: Sharpness comes from the alcohol and subtle carbonation. It is nice a viscous and fills the mouth well.

O: One of but no the best Barleywine. I like King Henry, 2010 Bourbon BA Old Guardian, and Abacus more, but this is one of the elite barleywines.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2009 vintage. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Spirit Sippers snifter.

A vigorous pour produces a thin active layer of mixed yellow-browns: khaki/citrine/fulvous which bubble out to a thin lasting collar and smattering of surface slick. Delicate lacing is suspended in viscous tears. The liquid below is an abyssal shade of auburn.

The bourbon barrel contributes immense aroma without any sharpness, redolent of fine tobacco, leather, loam, vanilla, and cocoa for starters...a low fruity note like that of a fine sherry flitters in and out as well.

Deep unctuous palate entry intensifies all the aromas into corresponding flavors and integrates them into a delicately shifting yet extremely potent cascade. Gentle hops contribute just enough bitterness to offset the immensity of the malt which itself is just strong enough to stand as a foil against the bourbon notes. Finishes moderately dry, fruity, and earthy. Surprisingly balanced and clean despite its stunning richness.

Silky mouthfeel is like melted chocolate ganache on the tongue though sufficient carbonation enlivens the mouthfeel.

An inspired and inspiring glass - a truly top tier example of the style...while any one element might be improved upon in theory, doing so would upset the balance of the whole.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had 2012, 2013, and 2015 so this is a rating of those as a combo. I think this beer ages gracefully. This is one of the best BA Barleywines out there. The English malts are showcased in superb fashion here. The barrel comes through really likely. Not too boozy but a solid presence. Feels more like a stout being pretty syrupy but in a great way. I love this one.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

A big thanks to t0rin0 for sharing a bottle of this with me.

A: The pour is a dark, dark brown with some nice reddish highlights. The head is mild in volume and tan in color.

S: There is a surprising amount of chocolate (oxidation) in the aroma, but it works quite well. The usual suspects of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and dark fruit are there as well, along with some oak.

T: Like the aroma, there is a ton of chocolate to this beer--something I don't normally expect from a barleywine. The sweet, malty flavors, dark fruits, and barrel contributions (vanilla and a nice oaky flavor) make this amazingly complex. I just had to give it a 5.

M: Very nice and smooth. The carbonation is quite low, and the body is incredibly full.

D: The only place that this beer takes a bit of a hit. This shouldn't be surprising, however. But despite being 13.5% alcohol, it is surprisingly drinkable.

I've not been the hugest barleywine fan in the past, but this beer has changed my perception of the style. Absolutely fantastic.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased a case of 2009 Perfect Storm and received it in the mail 11/2/09. Opened the first one on 11/7/09 to celebrate the birth of my daughter born 11/5/09. I really worked up this brew in my head because of all the reviews I read and the attractive appearance and color of the beer.

When I cracked the top the smell was of raisins and bourbon. The bottle was pretty cold (maybe 40f) so I took one sip cold and then let it warm up. The initial reaction was that tastes dang good, but to cold to taste the spectrum of flavors.

After warming up I started enjoying it in my snifter. Flavors consisted of oak, bourbon, raisins, caramel/toffee, maybe fig?
Definitely a top notch beer. Strong, dominating flavor, great carbonation. I think the alcohol was a little hot still in the bottle and will get better with aging.

This was a great beer, but I keep on thinking afterwards that I've had some that are better. Namely the Abyss, Berserker, Canadain Breakfast Stout, Cherry Adam, Matt etc. This is definitely a beer that should remain in the top 25-50 brews available world wide.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Nietzsches_Horse really nails it: a dessert beer if ever there was one, this beer is so intensely sweet that it teeters between being undrinkably sweet and thoroughly delicious. Sipper, sipper, sipper.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Gold foil capped bottle from BeerShip.com. 2014 vintage, bottled 10/5/14. Served in a Bruery snifter.

Pours an opaque, chestnut brown with burgandy highlights and a little less than one finger ecrue head. The bubbles quickly shrink to a thin collar, leaving only a few occasional dots of lace.

Sweet, inviting nose. Toffee, bourbon, caramel, vanilla and port.

Taste is spot on. Bourbon, toffee, toast, brandy soaked raisins, caramel, cereal, vanilla, dark fruit, oak, leather, earth, faint char and of coarse a healthy dollop of booze. So rich and flavorful that it goes down with an ease that belies its mid teen abv.

Near-syrupy, full feel with mild carbonation. Finishes sweet with booze doused dark fruit, toffee and caramel.

Mother Of All Storms is a top tier barrel aged English barleywine. This one is well worth a hunt/chase. Very glad that I procurred multiples.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased a 22 oz. bottle at the brewpub in Pacific City while there for Thanksgiving dinner. Getting around to enjoying it now. Totally worth the wait.

Pours a deep, dark, mysterious mahogany color with a small and quickly fading tannish head.

Wow, this is an impressive aroma. There is a lot of deep maltiness paired with the very notable presence of bourbon, candied molasses, sweet dark fruits, hints of coffee beans, and a bunch of other stuff. The syrupy sweetness present here makes me feel like a kid in a fine chocolate factory who is so thrilled by the aromatic character of the place that he can't wait to indulge in the goodies.

The taste doesn't disappoint. Full maltiness, sweet bourbon presence, bitter alcohol and hop sting all hit the palate. After the initial shock, I can appreciate the combination of coffee, toffee, vanilla, and bourbon added to sweet caramel and chocolate flavors. Once again, there is a lot going on here. All of it is impressive.

Relatively low carbonation with plenty of boozy bite summarizes the mouthfeel. This beer has a definite presence in the mouth.

Overall, this is quite an impressive beer. I quite honestly cannot remember the last time that I have enjoyed a beer this much. This is a very complex and killer brew. You really have to sit down, sip, and savor this one. With a 14% bill, sipping and relishing should probably be part of the option anyway. The Pelican is a heck of a brewery, and this is way more than a heck of a brew. Can't wait to taste my other bottle in a couple of years or so and compare the difference.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle poured into a small tulip glass. Excited to try the 2014 World Beer Cup Champion for a small brewing company.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown in color with just a thin line of khaki head that reduces quickly and leaves the tiniest collar I've seen. Viscosity appears super thin for the ABV, by appearance alone I wouldn't put this over 10%.
S: Wafting aroma of bourbon, toffee, dark fruits, vanilla, caramel, oak. As it warms, it becomes a sweet bourbon bomb.
T: Mimics the aroma. The bourbon stays on the after taste, making each sip very sweet up front.
M: Carb level is on the lower end, and is a perfect fit for this beer. It lingers as semi-dry semi-rich, which given the large flavor profile is very enjoyable.
O: I appreciate this beer for it's bold qualities throughout. I am not a barleywine guy, but I love bourbon. This delivers the best of the beer and bourbon world, making a barleywine that I find highly drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle shared by Dan – thanks!

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a half-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of rich caramel malts with smooth butterscotch, toffee, and vanilla. Also present are hints of oak and even lighter hints of booze-soaked medium fruits.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Robust caramel malt flavors kick things off and are quickly sweetened by the addition of vanilla and toffee. Midway through the sip the flavors lighten up a bit with hints of butterscotch. Slight amounts of oak bring everything together near the end of the sip, fading out into a slightly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is great. It’s got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also great. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was the second time I’ve had this beer and it lived up to its memory. A nearly perfectly well balanced English barleywine with nice notes of barrels. Well worth a shot.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery