Mother Of All Storms | Pelican Pub & Brewery

Mother Of All StormsMother Of All Storms

Pelican Pub & Brewery
Oregon, United States

Style: English Barleywine

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

Reviews: 451 | Ratings: 1,894
4.58/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle.

A: Pours a dark murky reddish-brown. Big fizzy dark tan/almost brown head. Interesting coloration on the head, haven't really seen exactly that shade before. Fades at a moderate pace, leaving no lacing at all behind. Minimal head retention, fizzes out quickly.

S: Whoa. Big, huge malty notes. Loads of brown sugar, caramel and molasses primarily. A bit of vanilla too. Touch of dark fruits, mainly raisin. Super sickly sweet. Wonderful.

T: Notable bourbon up front with caramel and toffee and vanilla. Mixes in with brown sugar, molasses, even honey? Just brief hints of raisin and fig but the sugary sweetness is really what stands out here. Sweetness fades into the finish, leaving a bit of oak, toffee and the bourbon burn. Lingering bourbon and oak between sips.

M: Low carbonation and very heavy body makes this one thick and syrupy

O: This is big and malty and ultra sweet. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a 14% bourbon barrel english barleywine. Wonderful beer, the only real fault I could find is when the bourbon stands alone in the aftertaste, it tastes kinda like cheapish bourbon. I'm guessing evan williams like previous vintages. Regardless, not nearly as hot as you'd expect for a fresh 14% barrel-aged barleywine, hell this bottle is barely 3 months old. Honestly, sucaba has nothing on this beer, this should be #1 handily.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Wow, review # 1000! I never imagined I would make it this far. It's been an interesting road, some good beers, some bad drain pours, some surprises. I've learned a lot over the time. But yet, there are so many more to go. So for awesome number 1000, comes one I've been waiting for for a while. As I could not land a Kaggen! this is a good rebound. Thanks to imperialking for this beauty. This is the '09 vintage.

I keep balking at opening it, not quite sure if I want to yet, but I've come this far, and I need an awesome beer for the 1000th, so here. I finally bite my tongue and pop! It pours a very small fizzy but darker colored bubbled head that fades to little pockets of bubbles fairly quickly. The beer itself is super dark, barely any light getting through on the edges, revealing a ruby molasses brown color.

The nose wafted out as soon as it cracked open, with bourbon just pouring out. Lots of great bourbon aromas, some oak, toasty oak, a bit of vanilla coming from that. That rounds off the awesome malt aromas, plenty of dark malts and reddish malts all smashed together in a big heavy nose. Some dark fruits, hints of plum and date/fig, candy aroma like the candy on a candy covered apple, plenty of caramel and vanilla, some light chocolate, light bitter chocolate and creamy, very light hint of booze, and a nice soft aged malt aroma. So heavenly, complex, and just awesome. As it warms the bourbon comes out a bit more, bringing some woody esters with it too. I just hope the taste doesn't let down now.

Taste starts rich and creamy, lots of dark malts, chocolate, very light roast, some reddish malts, creamy smooth malts, rich and luscious, some dark fruits again bringing fig, plum, hint of raisin, and more, which gives a nice chocolate covered raisin and candy flavor. Then again loaded with bourbon flavor, not so much as the nose and as it would be fresh I imagine, but a really nice bourbon flavor. Some light toasted oak and barrel flavor coming with that delicious bourbon. THere is also a light warming booze, and hint of tingly booze as I hold it in my mouth for about a minute. Some aged soft malt flavors come through, like a nice old ale or, sic, barleywine. A light juicy malt bomb, light smooth and creamy oat feel, it has quite a smooth but heavy stout feel as well, almost like a cross between a big stout and barleywine. I get the slightest hint of earthy hops, adding a light bitterness to the nice sweetness and luscious feel. Hints of molasses and caramel, as well as vanilla, round off the complex and awesome flavor. As it finishes, a mouth coating malt flavor just sticks all over, reminding me of the flavor for a few minutes, a very slight tingle from the booze comes and goes quickly. It drinks much smoother than 13.5%. A light chocolate and candy flavor linger, as well as aged malts and dark fruits, the bourbon is mostly gone at this point.

Mouth is full bodied, fairly heavy, luscious, smooth, thick, and a little velvety, with lower but decent enough carbonation for an aged barleywine.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I was glad this was #1000. It definitely lived up to the hype, and maybe more. Lots of delicious soft aged dark malts, chocolate, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, oak, very complex but very tasty. No real off flavors at all, even with all the dark malts there was no minerality quality or burnt flavors. The booze is there but drinks well for 13.5%. Very slight hops there, but not much, which I'm sure is helpful for aging it, and perhaps I should try it fresh sometime. A slow drinker, but I could sip this all day. The one negative at all is the lack of carbonation, but then again almost 2 years old, a heavy slightly syrupy barleywine at 13.5% the lower carbonation doesn't hurt too much.

Yay, 1000 reviews! Release the balloons and confetti, just don't let them fall in my awesome beer. Thanks to all the awesome traders who helped me get here, and more in the future. Can't wait to try more awesome beers, and wish I could just sip beer all day and never have to work, but I gotta pay for the beer somehow. And now I'm enjoying this with a little bit of dark chocolate and it's so transcending, they accent each other so well, I'm in heaven.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Beer #7 Smells like I a pulled a monster out of the fridge! This beer was lightly chilled and served in a snifter.

A- 3.5 The body of the beer is a dark brown but when held to the light turns a very striking almost ruby tone. The head is non existant and an occasional bubble pops up.

S-4.5 This one will definitely hit your sweet tooth. Brown sugar, molasses, caramel, vanilla, toffee, a bit of bourbon. I love bourbon! If I knew a bit more about bourbon I think I could really get into it.

T- 4.5 This beer is very sweet. If you dont go for that kind of thing keep away. The beer doesnt hit cloying sweet levels but delivers a bourbon infused combination of the aroma. No alcohol is present in the flavors and I am really sure this beer is alcoholic. Hell its nearly kicking my ass.

M- 5.0 This beer has a very full slick body. The carbonation is low but I think it works with the beers nature. Not a trace of alcohol in the mouth. I bet this beer is in excess of 12%.

O- 5.0 I am really loving this beer. Its way sweet and way malty and very very alcoholic. The flavors and aromas are very well balanced. The alcohol is present but not in the aroma, taste or mouth. I think this beer is what bliss taste like.

The Reveal: A bit at a loss for what this could be I know its had a barrel treatment. Strong ale or Barley Wine? Pelican Pub and Brewery 2010 Mother of All Storms. Barrel aged barleywine. This was on my wants list! Thanks Phelps for yet another great beer drinking experience.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks goes to sweemzander for opening this bottle at our last tasting. 2010 release.

A: Almond brown with dark red edges. About one finger of beige head. Small amount of lace left behind. No cap.

S: Smooth buttery toffee and caramel are the opening act. Mild tart fruit, vanilla, oak and smooth bourbon follow. Malt and hops are sort of an after thought. Smells terrific.

T: The flavor is just as smooth as the nose. Toffee and caramel rolled in slightly bitter hops. Dark fruit, brown sugar, tobacco, molasses, wet wood and bourbon. Hardly any heat.

M: Creamy smooth medium body. Just enough carbonation to keep things lively.

D: This is my second time enjoying this beer. The wait between tastings was almost a year. I really hope I don't have to wait that long to try it again.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This English style barley-wine was served to me in a 12 oz snifter, without a head. The serving was the darkest brown you could imagine, it was impenetrable. Aside from the very few bubbles spotted when this beer was served, there was nothing there besides the darkest brown liquid.

The smell was of heavy malt syrup, soy sauce, and some vanilla. Super sweet smelling soy sauce :)

The taste = malt syrup, vanilla, soy sauce, faded rich dark fruit, and sweet bread.

The mouthfeel for The Mother of All Storms was decadent. How? It was smooth, no carb, syrupy, and rich feeling.

Overall, this is a decidedly, smooth, rich, balanced, well-crafted, English Barley-wine that is perched atop the barley-wine food chain. It is easy drinking and dangerous. I have not had a comparable barley-wine.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought to a local tasting, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2010 MoaS vintage.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

s - Smells of caramel malts, dark fruits, bourbon, molasses, oak, and light vanilla. I loved the smell; I thought it was very complex and balanced, and I didn't think the bourbon overpowered the nose. One of the better smelling barleywines I've had.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, molasses, caramel malts, dark fruits, chocolate, and light vanilla. Alcohol is definitely present, but again, not overpowering. I like it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Feels amazing.

d - I thought this was a really good barleywine; one of the better ones I've had. I loved the nose and think for the ABV, it is pretty drinkable. Glad I've got some more of this, looking forward to holding onto most of them.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A deep ruby red with almost no head.

S: Deep caramel malts are in the front of this beer followed by a rich bourbon aroma.

T: Rich caramel malts are primary flavor. The smoothness of the oak and bourbon cut through this very nicely.

M: Sharpness comes from the alcohol and subtle carbonation. It is nice a viscous and fills the mouth well.

O: One of but no the best Barleywine. I like King Henry, 2010 Bourbon BA Old Guardian, and Abacus more, but this is one of the elite barleywines.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2009 vintage. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Spirit Sippers snifter.

A vigorous pour produces a thin active layer of mixed yellow-browns: khaki/citrine/fulvous which bubble out to a thin lasting collar and smattering of surface slick. Delicate lacing is suspended in viscous tears. The liquid below is an abyssal shade of auburn.

The bourbon barrel contributes immense aroma without any sharpness, redolent of fine tobacco, leather, loam, vanilla, and cocoa for starters...a low fruity note like that of a fine sherry flitters in and out as well.

Deep unctuous palate entry intensifies all the aromas into corresponding flavors and integrates them into a delicately shifting yet extremely potent cascade. Gentle hops contribute just enough bitterness to offset the immensity of the malt which itself is just strong enough to stand as a foil against the bourbon notes. Finishes moderately dry, fruity, and earthy. Surprisingly balanced and clean despite its stunning richness.

Silky mouthfeel is like melted chocolate ganache on the tongue though sufficient carbonation enlivens the mouthfeel.

An inspired and inspiring glass - a truly top tier example of the style...while any one element might be improved upon in theory, doing so would upset the balance of the whole.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had 2012, 2013, and 2015 so this is a rating of those as a combo. I think this beer ages gracefully. This is one of the best BA Barleywines out there. The English malts are showcased in superb fashion here. The barrel comes through really likely. Not too boozy but a solid presence. Feels more like a stout being pretty syrupy but in a great way. I love this one.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

A big thanks to t0rin0 for sharing a bottle of this with me.

A: The pour is a dark, dark brown with some nice reddish highlights. The head is mild in volume and tan in color.

S: There is a surprising amount of chocolate (oxidation) in the aroma, but it works quite well. The usual suspects of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and dark fruit are there as well, along with some oak.

T: Like the aroma, there is a ton of chocolate to this beer--something I don't normally expect from a barleywine. The sweet, malty flavors, dark fruits, and barrel contributions (vanilla and a nice oaky flavor) make this amazingly complex. I just had to give it a 5.

M: Very nice and smooth. The carbonation is quite low, and the body is incredibly full.

D: The only place that this beer takes a bit of a hit. This shouldn't be surprising, however. But despite being 13.5% alcohol, it is surprisingly drinkable.

I've not been the hugest barleywine fan in the past, but this beer has changed my perception of the style. Absolutely fantastic.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased a case of 2009 Perfect Storm and received it in the mail 11/2/09. Opened the first one on 11/7/09 to celebrate the birth of my daughter born 11/5/09. I really worked up this brew in my head because of all the reviews I read and the attractive appearance and color of the beer.

When I cracked the top the smell was of raisins and bourbon. The bottle was pretty cold (maybe 40f) so I took one sip cold and then let it warm up. The initial reaction was that tastes dang good, but to cold to taste the spectrum of flavors.

After warming up I started enjoying it in my snifter. Flavors consisted of oak, bourbon, raisins, caramel/toffee, maybe fig?
Definitely a top notch beer. Strong, dominating flavor, great carbonation. I think the alcohol was a little hot still in the bottle and will get better with aging.

This was a great beer, but I keep on thinking afterwards that I've had some that are better. Namely the Abyss, Berserker, Canadain Breakfast Stout, Cherry Adam, Matt etc. This is definitely a beer that should remain in the top 25-50 brews available world wide.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Nietzsches_Horse really nails it: a dessert beer if ever there was one, this beer is so intensely sweet that it teeters between being undrinkably sweet and thoroughly delicious. Sipper, sipper, sipper.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Gold foil capped bottle from BeerShip.com. 2014 vintage, bottled 10/5/14. Served in a Bruery snifter.

Pours an opaque, chestnut brown with burgandy highlights and a little less than one finger ecrue head. The bubbles quickly shrink to a thin collar, leaving only a few occasional dots of lace.

Sweet, inviting nose. Toffee, bourbon, caramel, vanilla and port.

Taste is spot on. Bourbon, toffee, toast, brandy soaked raisins, caramel, cereal, vanilla, dark fruit, oak, leather, earth, faint char and of coarse a healthy dollop of booze. So rich and flavorful that it goes down with an ease that belies its mid teen abv.

Near-syrupy, full feel with mild carbonation. Finishes sweet with booze doused dark fruit, toffee and caramel.

Mother Of All Storms is a top tier barrel aged English barleywine. This one is well worth a hunt/chase. Very glad that I procurred multiples.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased a 22 oz. bottle at the brewpub in Pacific City while there for Thanksgiving dinner. Getting around to enjoying it now. Totally worth the wait.

Pours a deep, dark, mysterious mahogany color with a small and quickly fading tannish head.

Wow, this is an impressive aroma. There is a lot of deep maltiness paired with the very notable presence of bourbon, candied molasses, sweet dark fruits, hints of coffee beans, and a bunch of other stuff. The syrupy sweetness present here makes me feel like a kid in a fine chocolate factory who is so thrilled by the aromatic character of the place that he can't wait to indulge in the goodies.

The taste doesn't disappoint. Full maltiness, sweet bourbon presence, bitter alcohol and hop sting all hit the palate. After the initial shock, I can appreciate the combination of coffee, toffee, vanilla, and bourbon added to sweet caramel and chocolate flavors. Once again, there is a lot going on here. All of it is impressive.

Relatively low carbonation with plenty of boozy bite summarizes the mouthfeel. This beer has a definite presence in the mouth.

Overall, this is quite an impressive beer. I quite honestly cannot remember the last time that I have enjoyed a beer this much. This is a very complex and killer brew. You really have to sit down, sip, and savor this one. With a 14% bill, sipping and relishing should probably be part of the option anyway. The Pelican is a heck of a brewery, and this is way more than a heck of a brew. Can't wait to taste my other bottle in a couple of years or so and compare the difference.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle poured into a small tulip glass. Excited to try the 2014 World Beer Cup Champion for a small brewing company.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown in color with just a thin line of khaki head that reduces quickly and leaves the tiniest collar I've seen. Viscosity appears super thin for the ABV, by appearance alone I wouldn't put this over 10%.
S: Wafting aroma of bourbon, toffee, dark fruits, vanilla, caramel, oak. As it warms, it becomes a sweet bourbon bomb.
T: Mimics the aroma. The bourbon stays on the after taste, making each sip very sweet up front.
M: Carb level is on the lower end, and is a perfect fit for this beer. It lingers as semi-dry semi-rich, which given the large flavor profile is very enjoyable.
O: I appreciate this beer for it's bold qualities throughout. I am not a barleywine guy, but I love bourbon. This delivers the best of the beer and bourbon world, making a barleywine that I find highly drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle shared by Dan – thanks!

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a half-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of rich caramel malts with smooth butterscotch, toffee, and vanilla. Also present are hints of oak and even lighter hints of booze-soaked medium fruits.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Robust caramel malt flavors kick things off and are quickly sweetened by the addition of vanilla and toffee. Midway through the sip the flavors lighten up a bit with hints of butterscotch. Slight amounts of oak bring everything together near the end of the sip, fading out into a slightly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is great. It’s got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also great. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was the second time I’ve had this beer and it lived up to its memory. A nearly perfectly well balanced English barleywine with nice notes of barrels. Well worth a shot.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From 22oz bottle to glass at Shannon's Big Bad Barleywine Tasting on 4/9/11.
*From notes

Vintage 2010

A: Imagine you've accidentally added a heaping dollop of molasses to the richest red velvet batter you've ever seen. That my friends is what this Mother looks like. A careful, straight pour yields an eye opening 1.75 finger head and reasonable lacing.

S: Like the best vintage port you've never had. The bouquet on this one is simply marvelous. I can't begin to explain quite how complex this is. There are so many wild and crazy nuances exploding within my nostrils: figs, plums, dried apricots and hard caramel candy. I think I spent more time inhaling this godly concentrate then I did drinking it.

T: Buy a farm. Once you've settled in and cultivated the soil, spend the next fifty years growing the choicest fruit trees the world over. Figs, dates, plums, morello cherries, persimmons and more. Their roots will grow deep into the earth. The heavenly fruit these trees will bear will vine ripen, and once at their peak, you'll harvest them by hand. After a long day in the field, take your prized crop home and dry them. Allow the sugars to crystalize, the skins to shrivel and the flavors to concentrate. With your old, weary and wrinkly hands, squeeze the dried fruits, wring every last drop. And once you've painstakingly completed this arduous task, bottle the Godly nectar and call it the Mother of All Storms.

M: It feels like I'm drinking motor oil. It's extremely thick and cloying. From the moment it enters my mouth, it explodes with a sticky nature not seen in many brews.

O: I'll keep it simple: Pelican's Mother of All Storms is best Enlgish Barleywine I've ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quick notes taken at wonderful tasting

Pours a bit thin. Solid brown with a bit red to it.

has a nice sweet toffee smell and lots of sweet malts. Licorice and nice smooth.

Subtle booze and caramel stints. Lots of nuts and barrel flavor. Finish is boozy.

Mouthful is smooth and boozy. Medium body and smooth. A bit silky. Solid.

A good beer. A little too much heat. But still nice. Solid beer. Might taste better with age.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, foiled top, 09 release. HUGE thanks to MasterSki for breaking this one out a few weeks back, huge want.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, some brown, very thick tan head forms, huge and chunky, settles down to a thick ring, some lace spots stick, legs on the glass, looks great.

Smell is insane, tons of oak and vanilla, bourbon, brandy, huge toffee notes, butterscotch, coconut, lots of raisin and dark fruit, lightly spicy, alcohol, this is intense.

Taste is similar, huge toffee and brown sugar sweetness, vanilla, bourbon and brandy, alcohol, dark fruit, raisin, butterscotch, more vanilla, more bourbon and alcohol in the finish, supremely malty.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, some big warmth going down but I would expect no less. This stuff is serious, huge rich malts in the one, amazing. Thanks Alex!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got around to rating this delicious beer. Previously split a bottle with a friend a few weeks ago. We split another with 2 others tonite.This is unlike any other barleywine I have had.

A- Poured with limited bubbles and they disappeared quickly from the glass. Very dark, beautiful beer. Swirled nicely in our Dogfish Head brandy glasses, and left a nice coating.

S- Wow, this is bourbon! Beautiful woodsy, bourbon barrel smell. Lots of alcohol scents. We couldn't help but continue to swirl our glasses to get more of the scent wafting up our noses.

T- Again, not like any barleywine I have ever tasted. It had characteristics of a imperial stout, some barleywine, english strong ale and bourbon.

M- Wow again. Lots of alcohol flavors. Carbonation went quickly away as we continued to drink our glass. But who needs that when you have a delicious sipping/after dinner/dessert beer? Sweet flavors continued to come through.

D- A must share with friends. Enjoy a bottle with two people or more.

This is a great beer. Didn't rate it the highest because I don't think this is a traditional barleywine but extremely enjoyable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: black with lighter brown highlights, decent head at first, then lacing around the edges

S: toffee, bourbon, dark fruit, and slight alcohol smell

T: bourbon, wood, toffee, and dates. It's sweet, but not too sweet. I get very little alcohol here.

M: heavy body with good carbonation to balance the sweetness and body

O: excellent beer, probably just behind KH in barley wines. Would no doubt have again.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to nate8767 for sharing this one. Poured into a sniffer.

The beer pours a dark reddish brown with a tan head about a finger thick that quickly fades to a thin ring and patchy lacing. The first aroma that I pick up on is oak and bourbon followed by toffee, caramel, dates, and raisins, with just a noticeable alcoholic smell. Despite the alcohol aroma the finish is barely noticeable. The taste is best described as a combination of dark fruit, a hint or chocolate, fresh oak, bourbon and molasses. The mouthfeel is chewy with low carbonation. This is a spectacular beer and one that I would definitely seek out again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage. Pours a beautiful dark brown with a ruby-red hue. Medium sized tan head with a hint of red that goes down slowly. Scent is outstanding! Great toffee and brown sugar notes...nice sweet bourbon booze. You can definitely smell the barrel in this beer...sweet oak and bourbon with some nice dark fruits, toffee, and vanilla. Taste is just as it smell...more complex than I was expecting. All the flavors in the nose are present in the taste and equally distributed, except I get a bit of chocolate in the taste. For such a high ABV beer, this gem is not overly sweet, nor is it too hot and boozy. Well crafted. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit sticky. Drinkability is high, as this is a delicious sipper. Overall, I haven't been this impressed about a barrel aged BW since King Henry. Would love to try these guys side by side. I got plenty of love for Sucaba, but KH and this are rightfully powering over it. Fantastic beer!

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

2009 version, 22oz into chouffe tulip, THANK YOU augustgarage! Gold-foil top.

A- Ruby/rust brown, 2cm head that is the color of cornbread. Settles quickly.

S- Bourbon! Rich, buttery, caramel, toffee, some dark fruit underneath it. A hint of vanilla and molasses. Not boozy in the least, which is impressive for 13+%.

T- Bourbon is here in full force, but there's a good, strong barleywine here as well. Dark fruit, a bit of brandy, and of course bourbon. A bit woody, and a bit hot from the boubon... wonderful. Molasses as opposed to caramel.

M- A bit hot, slightly spicy, great bourbon and fruit notes, wonderfully blended. A masterful beer.

D- Moderate but oh-so-tasty. I am really impressed, this is deserved of all its praise. A world-class barleywine. I'm not the biggest bal-aged advocate but when done this well it's a no-brainer. I like my beers hot if done well, and this one is perfection. Awesome stuff.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery