Mother Of All Storms | Pelican Pub & Brewery

Mother Of All StormsMother Of All Storms

Pelican Pub & Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: English Barleywine

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 1,878
3.9/5  rDev -11.8%

OG 13.7 degrees Plato
40 IBUs
22 oz bomber of 2010 vintage, received as a generous surprise from lurchingbeast, poured into a big snifter. Thanks Frank! This beer was one of my top wants since it tops Beeradvocate's list of English Barleywines, and I love me some J.W.Lees - super excited to try this one!

Appearance 4/5
Deep garnet and clear with a big brown head that gave away rather soon and settled into a thin collar, without any lacing. However it should be noted that this beer has spent time in barrels and is quite high in alcohol, so poor retention is not a problem.

Aroma 4/5
The usual suspects are present: Toast, caramel/toffee, figs, sweet alcohol and bourbon, and then there are some off putting notes of green potatoes. Alcohol gets a little too strong at warmer temperature.

Taste 4/5
Sweet, but flavorfuly so, with a sharpness of character. Despite the dominantly sweeter notes, this beer is quite bitter and astringent and would complement fatty food very well. A long and vinous sweet finish with a slightly bitter and alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Disappointingly thin!

Drinkability 4/5
Good, but this beer didn't wow me in any respect. I will definitely revisit it if I get a chance to!

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks goes to sweemzander for opening this bottle at our last tasting. 2010 release.

A: Almond brown with dark red edges. About one finger of beige head. Small amount of lace left behind. No cap.

S: Smooth buttery toffee and caramel are the opening act. Mild tart fruit, vanilla, oak and smooth bourbon follow. Malt and hops are sort of an after thought. Smells terrific.

T: The flavor is just as smooth as the nose. Toffee and caramel rolled in slightly bitter hops. Dark fruit, brown sugar, tobacco, molasses, wet wood and bourbon. Hardly any heat.

M: Creamy smooth medium body. Just enough carbonation to keep things lively.

D: This is my second time enjoying this beer. The wait between tastings was almost a year. I really hope I don't have to wait that long to try it again.

3.4/5  rDev -23.1%

MOAS (2010) bottle provided by CaseyK at a Madison tasting.

Pours a clear brown with the booze/sugar shimmers and very little head. Smells of oak, booze and vanilla. Another bourbon barrel beer *sigh*. Tastes strongly of booze, complemented with vanilla and a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. This beer is not ready yet. Like a little kid who is freaking out, this beer really needs some time to lay down and chill out. Features a medium bodied, sugary mouthfeel with lower to mid carbonation, which is not unexpected. It is way too boozy, sugary, etc. to call altogether that drinkable. Seriously, this beer was made for the long haul. In the future, I don't think I would touch it until it had a year on it. Then, I am certain my review and experience would be more pleasant. That being said, I think it has tons of potential and was enjoyable as is, despite it being a bit of a mess. Let's call it currently an enjoyable mess.

EDIT: Had an opportunity to try another 2010 bottle in September 2010 it is not aging gracefully. The big, bright excessive bourbon flavor which was both hot, but tasty has lost some of the positive edge to it and instead has gotten more abrasive. Review above adjusted accordingly (-1 for taste).

4.09/5  rDev -7.5%

Auburn with a red hue. No lacing, no head.

Burnt chocolate, caramilized sugar, brownie, grape, raspberry. Distinct, unique and intriguing.

Chocolate fudge, vanilla, caramel - was this brewed with hops? Cant taste them - which is fine by me.

Thick, sexy mouthfeel. Not overly dense.

Quite an amazing barleywine. Decadent, balanced and incredibly tasty - great to sit down with and slowly enjoy (but I won't do that).

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Shared at Beachwood BBQ during the Bruery RS Post-Party (can't remember who brought it, but BM me so I can give you proper credit). 2009 Vintage! Served from bottle into a goblet. Poured red-brown with a minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, chocolate, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, chocolate, cream, and alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor and aroma were quite complex and all aspects seemed to work quite well together. Not really a whole lot could be added to make it better. This is an absolute must try.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

22 oz bottle poured into tulip. From notes.

A - A reddish purple with brown and mahogany base colour. Minimal head, decent sticky lacing

S - Distinct sweetness and oakiness. Dark fruits, vanilla, and some graininess.

T - A delicious taste profile. I pick up a bunch of different flavours, with a nice strong woody taste. Plum and currants, vanilla, candied sugars. Get some toffee and butterscotch

M/D - A true sipper. You can tell by some of the alcohol heat that this is a young beer and is a perfect candidate for aging. I am glad I have a few to compare over the years to see how it develops, I am betting on fantastic!

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage. A big thank you to black13 and hopsbreath for bottles of this; been a big want for me for awhile!

(A)- Pours a rather dark burnt sienna color that produced a rather good sized tan colored head despite its ABV. Dissipated to a low layer of froth. Certainly a darker representation of the style, but it does not bother me any.

(S)- A decadent rich profile. Wonderfully sweet and rich caramel/toffee/brown sugar front. Raisin, molasses, cocoa, and a smooth syrupy-like charred oak roastedness that could only have come from the bourbon barrels. Such a dynamic yet delicate and rich aroma that I could smell all day; my description does not do it justice.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A sexy rich profile of raisin and molasses with bits of caramel/toffee/and brown sugar. A blend of cocoa and charred oak. Again, my description fails in comparison to what this is really like.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It is so smooth yet rich and smooth for a barleywine with only a minimal warmth despite is massive 13.5% ABV.

(D)- This is just a wonderful example of a barleywine despite how fresh it is still. Smooth despite its ABV. My review does not do it justice; rich and dynamic with really the perfect body for the style. I so want to just give this perfect 5s, but this really cannot be too drinkable since it just needs to be sipped and savored to fully appreciate just how good this really is in my opinion.

2.88/5  rDev -34.8%

A collaboration of efforts to buy a case of these. Bottle shared by petsuphi with cmurren25 and it went a little something like this...

A- A very surprising dark charcoal black color similar to some fine stouts instead of the familiar brownish colors of most barleywines. A nice amount of carb that dissipated an off-white/tannish head into a tiny thin strip of it's former self. A quite odd looking beer in my honest opinion.

S- A pungent smell greets me like a filthy old diaper. Did not pick up the normal smells, but some burnt oak/wood, some touches of bottom shelf bourbon and stale vanilla. It was very undesirable, seriously wanted to pick up more aromas, but they just weren't there at all. Completely let down.

T- I will say the taste does not match the smell at all. Has a pleasant opening of smoked oak/wood with a nice earthiness in the beginning. As it warms though more of the off putting characteristics come back to torture me. Stale vanilla, your grandmother's stale werther's original caramel candies from 1981 and some malty sweetness that is almost not sweet enough. Son of a bitch why did I buy a few of these?

M- Full bodied and thick. From appearance the carb was anticipated, but is really not there no tingle or prickle. A nice warming presence along with coating and a syrupy character. It's semi-viscous, but doesn't stick around like others I've had. A little underwhelmed to be honest.

D- Not really, I had to suffer through too much with this one to ever come back to it. I would think about it, but would probably pass on this one. It's high abv, nasty smell and unpleasant taste kill this one for me. I'm sure a lot of people will like it I'm just not one of them. I would reconsider after putting myself through that one twice.

I have had 2 vintages of this beer and they both were let downs. There are definitely better barrel aged barleywines around. Anyone want one in trade?

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%

2010 vintage

Poured into a Portsmouth tulip glass. A clear, burnt, amber-brown body holds up a thin film of off-white head that eventually fades to a thin ring. Looks pretty good for a 13.5% barleywine. Swirling the glass leaves some light lacing and legs.

Bourbon, oak, vanilla and sweet dark fruits rise up from the glass. Figs, sugared plums and a hint of cherry. Honey, sweet malts and a touch of alcohol. Nice layers of complexity.

Sweet, caramel malts, light bourbon, vanilla and some peaty hop bitterness. The hops take a backseat to the English malt profile, but still carry some weight and add an almost meaty presence to the middle of the flavor profile. Some alcohol comes through, but is pretty well balanced for a beer of this size. Still would consider this hot though. Dark fruits and a touch of grape. The fruits are not as strong as the nose would suggest, but still present. The malts are great. Bready and biscuity, pairing well with the light bourbon presence. I originally gave this a 4 right out of the bottle at cellar temp, but as it warms the fruits come out more and the entire flavor profile becomes more integrated, so this deserves to be bumped up a half point. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is thick, almost viscous with light carbonation. Almost spot on for an English barleywine. Warming alcohol throughout.

Drinkability is good. This is a great sipper, especially on a cold night. I love the nose and the flavor is almost there as well. Probably my third favorite barleywine right behind Midnight Sun's Arctic Devil and J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale. The beer seems a little hot at the moment and I'd like to see the light hop presence die out a little bit. So needless to say, I'm excited to revisit this beer with a few years on it. Really glad I've got a case to age. One of the best English barleywines out there. Nice work Pelican.

4.33/5  rDev -2%

Mother of All Storms, poured into a large snifter to reveal a deep ruddy brown body, almost opaque in thickness, with half a finger of airy cream head that fades quickly. Darker than the English barleywines I am used to but pretty as it is. Smells sweet and malty with a big caramel presence. Surprisingly not syrupy-smelling given the consistency and style; more bready than fruity with a slight hop presence on the nose that suggests robust bitterness. Very strong smells. Very nice lacing.

Tastes decently sweet but with a decently strong bitterness and an almost savory bread-like slightly salty umami that would I think lend well to aging. Caramel and some warm date rolled in as well. Mouthfeel is just slightly abrasive with a tingly small carbonation, otherwise medium-bodied. Pretty drinkable for a fresh-ish English Barleywine, very sip-able. Very excited to see where this one goes with aging.

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle. Mother of All Storms. Poured into a tulip glass a dark mahogany brown color wih reddish highlights. Minimal head but given the abv, I am not really surprised. Strong aroma of bourbon, oak, and molasses. Nice rich blended flavors of bourbon, malt, oak, some bitterness, caramel, and dark fruit. Very rich but very good. Nice sipper. Solid barrel aged beer and glad I got to try this. I shared this among several non craft drinkers and they all enjoyed it.

4.79/5  rDev +8.4%

2010 vintage.

A: Pours a translucent, darkish brown with deep ruby highlights when held up to the light, capped by a half finger of frothy, beige head. Retention is poor as it quickly settles down to scattered lacing.

S: Bourbon notes out front with strong vanilla and oak, followed by a big case ofcaramel and toffee, sweet figs, leather and light tobacco. Some light alcohol heat paints a pleasant hue over the rest of the aroma, everything is well integrated.

T: Caramel and toffee up front with light vanilla, followed by moderate bourbon character on the mid-palate - oaky and stronger vanilla. Dark fruits come in just after the bourbon with figs and dark cherries being evident, followed by leather and a faint charred character. Long finish of dark fruits, bourbon, and burnt sugar.

M: Full bodied with low, velvety carbonation. Could be just a hair thicker.

D: Alcohol is evident but far from overwhelming...it's a sipper, but it's extremely drinkable for its ABV and style.

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%

This is a good beer Christmas. Following the Alpha Klaus, I'm sharing this one with the family. Mom and Dad, appreciate it please!

I poured the 2010 vintage of this bourbon barrel aged barleywine into a couple of wine glasses and watched the head dissipate to barely any lacing. Not surprising, given the wood aging, I suppose. It's clear when held up to light, but very dark amber and red in appearance. Alcohol smacks you in the nose, but the primary flavor is bourbon. Not a lot of it though. Taste-wise, I can say this beer has made me like bourbon aging again. I had been burnt out on it.

It's got the sweetness of the barleywine, but without anything cloying. That sweetness matches the bourbon sweetness, and the malt notes really peek through. It's highly alcoholic, so it's more of a sipper, but that doesn't mean it can't get you twisted!

Just, you know... good luck finding a bottle.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan!

A: This beer appears a dark brown hue, with an eighth inch of off-white head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Toast, biscuits, malt, charred malt, oak, alcohol.

T: Powerful stuff, I can tell right away. Flavors include dark burnt toast, oak, vanilla, booze, malt, and more. This beer should age very gracefully. I can't wait to open one of these a few years from now.

M: Big, rich, full.

D: Again, I want to see how this beer ages. I have high hopes. A very tasty beer, I'm glad I was afforded the opportunity to try it.

22oz bottle purchased at Pelican Pub & Brewery.

A - Pours a clear, deep, mahogany that borders on black. Nice ruby highlights, yet little/no head.
S - Strong bourbon notes, hints of oak and vanilla.
T - Strong bourbon. There's a hop bitterness to the finish that I hope will mellow out with time. A bit of residual malt sweetness as well as some alcohol burn.
M - Medium to full body, heavy and sweet.
D - Good. There's a bit of heat, and it's certainly a sipper, but it improves with a little bit of warmth.

Overall- Good, but a bit one-dimensional to make it elite. Bourbon treatment is well done, but needs a bit more depth. Don't trade your cellar for one, but it's worth getting, especially if you're a bourbon fan.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Ordered a case to split with a BA friend, so I figured I would see if my purchase was worth the cost.

A: Dark brownish plum color with a small head. Head retention seems ok, but could be a little better.
S: Perfection! Heavy vanilla and oak, with slight english yeast in the back. Heavy malt (caramel and roast). Still a bit of ethanol and a bit of tobacco
T: Bourbon and malt, in perfect balance. Sweet malts and rich roast.
M: Smooth, sweet, and medium-full bodied. Low carbonation and high alcohol.
D: This beer is still a bit hot. In a year or two, it would be perfect. I still loved this brew and wish I had 2 cases (if only I could afford that). I think this is a pretty even match to Flossmoor Wooden Hell.

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%

22 ounce bottle spilt with airohead2001. I vividly remember him coming into our psychiatry lecture with a dejected look on his face and saying, "we're on the list, but a long ways down." Luckily, it worked out for us. Poured into a snifter.

A: Dark brown with very dark, but vibrant ruby red tones, especially when held up to the light. The head on this beer measured about ¾ of a finger and was off white in color. There was excellent head retention, but minimal lacing.

S: Bourbon notes prevail, but there's also a earthy character that smells somewhat like dog food. I know that this sounds gross, but when combined with the bourbon, it actually smells quite good. There's also some caramel and burnt sugar on the nose.

T: Wow, I was so surprised that this is not hot whatsoever. The alcohol is completely hidden. There's beautiful flavors of bourbon, maple syrup, and butterscotch. Deeper down there's cinnamon, some hop bitterness and a faint hint of alcohol.

M: The mouthfeel was on point. There's an excellent visocity, aftertaste, and an appropriately low level of carbonation (although the carbonation could be slightly higher).

D: So happy that pelican let's you order this by mail! Also, excited to try the 2009 perfect storm that I have sitting in my cellar at some point.

4.2/5  rDev -5%

Been waiting a long time for this one. Here's the deal - last year, 2009, I had my order form all filled out for a case of The Perfect Storm. Cases lasted for at least a week or so at the brewery. After mulling it over for a few days, I decided not to spend the cash on an entire case. I regretted that day until about two weeks ago when I got the call that it was my turn to buy a case of MoAS 2010. My second chance!! Glazeman and I were thrilled. I'm glad I took the opportunity this time.

A - Very nice. Dark crimson with a lighter rose colored hue on the edges. Not brown. One finger head that fades to a rim of bubbles.

S - Very complex. The bourbon, caramel, butter, florals, and BOOZE blend together beautifully. Earthy, citrus hops through out.

T - Rich and delicious. Cold Friday night watching the Blackhawks beat the Wings - for this occasion, this is the PERFECT brew. Bourbon through out. The front is candied almonds and the finish is burnt roasts. The hops are much more pronounced in the smell than in the taste.

M - Really great for the style. I rarely rate generously in this category, but the flatness up front and the light bubbles near the finish do an excellent job of bringing all of the flavors to fruition.

D - The taste of this beer is outstanding. I love it. That being said, it is really hot. Ton of booze. The alcohol burn limits the drinkability, but this is still an outstanding beer.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought to a local tasting, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2010 MoaS vintage.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

s - Smells of caramel malts, dark fruits, bourbon, molasses, oak, and light vanilla. I loved the smell; I thought it was very complex and balanced, and I didn't think the bourbon overpowered the nose. One of the better smelling barleywines I've had.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, molasses, caramel malts, dark fruits, chocolate, and light vanilla. Alcohol is definitely present, but again, not overpowering. I like it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Feels amazing.

d - I thought this was a really good barleywine; one of the better ones I've had. I loved the nose and think for the ABV, it is pretty drinkable. Glad I've got some more of this, looking forward to holding onto most of them.

3.84/5  rDev -13.1%

2010 bottling.

Black with no head.

Nose is full sweet dark chcolate to sweet espresso with hints of cocoa that quickly goes to malty assertive whiskey and carmel.

Mouthfeel is initially creamy but with a "fizzy" character on the tongue, some of which is a good deal of alcoholic heat and a strong whiskey mouth. Mouthfeel becomes richer and creamier and loses some of the whiskey heat without losing the character and flavors as it warms to room temperature and as it gets more air.

This one, newly released, greatly improves from the air and is likely to become better with at least a little age.

Flavor is rich and creamy and improves with a bit of time in the glass and improves with air. Flavors go from bitter black chocolate and hot whiskey to roasted grains and coffee with an assertive soy flavor.

Air and some time in the glass really improves flavors to rich roasted grains, big black chocolate and coffee that goes to big black licorice nose and flavor profile. Black bitter coffee/espresso goes to an assertive licorice finish as one sips it.

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle shared by Dan, thanks!

Beer poured into a Russian River glass. Beer is amber, dark, and mostly clear with a thin broken head of small bubbles, some lacing and low carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is malty and warm with bourbon, liquor, oak and mild vanilla, smells nice.

It is a little warm at the lead off but overall its a medium bodied beer with sweetness and alcohol at the front. The palate opens up in the middle with oakiness and more sweetness, from the bourbon. The finish of the beer is clean and a little dry but it doesn't dry out my palate. It's big but the alcohol is balanced well with the flavors of the malt and the barrel character. It's very drinkable, although it is a sipper.

Pours chestnut brown with reddish edges and a tan head that fades into nothing. Sweet lacing. Huge aroma of malt and booze, cherries, raisins, dark fruits. Big flavor, just really big sweet English toffee, malt, bourbon. A bit of hops keeps this from being the least bit cloying. A bit hot but balanced. Huge, bold flavors. Really similar to Wooden Hell and Bullfrog Old Toad. An English-style barleywine with heavy bourbon influence that remains balanced but is quite strong and boozy. Good stuff.

Second bottle, opened 7/15/10. Pour is a fairly dark brown, not much head or lacing. Still quite boozy on the nose. Flavor has refined to a pretty nice chocolate liqueur thing going on. Of course it's malty, a bit boozy, but it's more refined now. Doesn't really have the fine pipe tobacco quality of Wooden Hell at this point. A fine beer though, and comparisons between the two are warranted.

Third bottle, from memory, amidst multiple elite barrel aged barley wines. This was also a 2009 bottle. Basically a bit more muddled with age, more chocolate and oxidation going on. Not even in the same ballpark as Wooden Hell, which was also involved. Too much barrel, too muddled, not much intersting nuance anymore. Fine, but not world class.

4.49/5  rDev +1.6%

I couldn't resist opening this today. The biggest blizzard in decades calls for the biggest barleywine in the cellar, and the name is too fitting. 2009 release.

A. Poured at cellar temps into a snifter. One finger head for the better part of a minute amazingly, but then it disappears. Oily consistency on the sides of the glass. Color proves to be a dark ruby when help to the light, but approaches black in the glass.

S. Just smelling this warms me up. The bourbon is the attention getter, but it remains mellow. Strong dessert sweetness - toffee, vanilla... Very appealing.

T&M. There is a ton of bourbon - it tastes closer to bourbon than barley wine honestly, but it remains balanced. The smoothness helps here, as do the complementing malt aspects that shine through. Without the bourbon this would probably be cloyingly sweet, but here the alcohol cuts right through it to the point where it almost seems dry.

D. This is intense. 22 ounces never looked like so much, but this is a perfect beer to sip on for hours and wait out a storm...

3.83/5  rDev -13.3%

Downhill last few years. Some astringency, estery, oxidized vibes even with fresh bottles. Doesn't have the crisp bourbon bite with the rich toffee like before. I'm not searching this out anymore.

Kept the old review below, but adjusted things down.

---

09 Perfect Storm.

Dec 11th in MN. Was going to have something else tonight, trapped in the house, but I couldn't resist the symbolism of this one.

Thanks for the trade, ramnuts.

Pour is darker than expected. Deep, dark red brown. Nice carbonation that quickly recedes to the edge.

Smells are just so wonderful. Bourbon smacks you in the face, mingled with dark carmels and alcohol.(good, spicy, warming alcohol) Bourbon is strong in this one.

The bourbon is marvelous on the tongue. Defines the beer. Everything else plays a supporting role. Carmel, some sweet (dark) chocolate, dark fruits and tobacco. Ultimately sweet, but not cloying; balances the sharp boozy feel. (This must have been pretty hot early on.) Feels more than 13.5%.

Mouthfeel is great. This finishes like scotch or whiskey, sharp and tingly on the tongue. I like it. I like it a lot.

Wonderful example of what the barrel offers.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a snifter, 2010 Mother of all Storms vintage - Thank you Pelican for selling these to mail order customers!

A: Pours a deep mahogany with a medium dark tan head that fades to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. One of the darkest barleywines I've ever seen.

S: The aromas coming from the glass are excellent. Lots of toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and malt.

T: The taste is buttery toffee, vanilla, and a roasty malt flavor. There are lots of oak and tannin flavors in there as well. The finish is incredibly complex and changes as it develops. Lots of sweet flavors and some roasty flavors that balance them out. There's a bit of hops on the finish as well but only enough to let you know they're there.

M: The feel is thick and creamy with an excellent amount of carbonation.

D: One of the best barleywines I've ever had, barrel aged or not, and definitely lives up to the hype. I can't wait to see how this one develops over time.

After having the regular Stormwatcher's I can say that the barrel has done wonders here. The harsh licorice and roasted flavors are smoothed out and the beer greatly improves.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery