Mother Of All Storms | Pelican Pub & Brewery

Pelican Pub & Brewery
Oregon, United States
pelicanbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008

Reviews: 452 | Ratings: 1,902
4.27/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

a: very dark ruby red. Looks black at first but when held up to the light the red shines through. Mocha colored head and medium lacing/ alcohol legs.

s: Big barrel characteristics. Some sweet roasted hazelnut and sugary/molasses-like malt aromas. Touch tequila.

t: strong molasses sweetness that coats your moath followed by a sharp alcohol sting, but not too much alcohol flavor. The nuttiness is more on the back end.

mf: very nice and creamy. almost TOO creamy.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

MoaS 2012...thanks Scray for this one....finally opening it.

A - the beer, after an aggressive pour, displays a deep ruby black in color; this mofo has a 'sparkling sound' from the carbonation as well; the mocha head sits contently even after the initial pour; bubbled lacing sits but moves

S - there is a LOT going on in the nose here: bourbon covered caramel apple; that brown sugar sweetness; vanilla; candied plums; whisky yams...is that a legit concept? That's what I'm getting

T - man, I love this beer: everything going on in the nose and more! That whisky yam thing carries over predominantly; some cherries; some milk chocolate; oak char; vanilla; brown sugar; molasses; candied prune; f me...booze! Also, there are some cotton candy notes as this one warms up.

M - this one has a little heat to it...which at 14%, I can't say I'm shocked; the beer is nonetheless smooth and nicely syrupy; this one is a little chewy, but I dig it. The heat lingers after a swallow, but yeah...I dig that shit; heavy all in all

O - all I can say is, I'm glad I have another one. I'm looking forward to seeing how this beer develops. It's a damn fine barleywine...maybe the best BW I've had to this point. It's got so many different flavors, the perfect amount of sweetness, an awesome ABV....a sipping man's BW. I'll be working towards a case next year Pelican!

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

22 oz bottle poured into tulip. From notes.

A - A reddish purple with brown and mahogany base colour. Minimal head, decent sticky lacing

S - Distinct sweetness and oakiness. Dark fruits, vanilla, and some graininess.

T - A delicious taste profile. I pick up a bunch of different flavours, with a nice strong woody taste. Plum and currants, vanilla, candied sugars. Get some toffee and butterscotch

M/D - A true sipper. You can tell by some of the alcohol heat that this is a young beer and is a perfect candidate for aging. I am glad I have a few to compare over the years to see how it develops, I am betting on fantastic!

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Brand new 2009 bomber, poured in a big wine glass at 54F, rising to 60F over the lengthy course of this review.

Beautiful color, a deep translucent red-brown. Initially, a ring of creamy yellow froth around the edge of the glass leaves some thick rings of lace, then dissipates entirely and the color of the liquid is unobscured, a rich gold at the edges.

Great big complex aroma. Toasty woodsy bourbony bourbon barrel, with deep complex spicy herbacious tobacco a bit like a good cigar crossed with sweet red vermouth, and sweet heady booze, a bit of bubblegum, mild vanilla, mild fennel, a hint of ripe dark fruit, and some earthiness. The bourbon barrel is well integrated with the malt; they belong together, the aroma is cohesive. Great depth and complexity, along with bright freshness, and the aroma blossoms and evolves continuously as the beer breathes and warms.

The flavor is like the aroma, but somehow even deeper, more complex, more intense. Sweet dark caramel and booze are perfectly balanced by deep, deep, DEEP tobacco/barrel/spice/earth. This is almost like a great bourbon or barrel aged rum, only far less alcoholic, and more intensely flavorful in all respects apart from the alcohol. Long long complex tasty finish, becoming dry.

The texture is exceptionally silky, with just enough restrained, ultrafine carbonation to add cushiness and avert any undue heaviness.

Perfect balance makes this very easy to drink.

Outstanding.

4.16/5  rDev -5.9%

This is a 2012 vintage I'm drinking. Very deep brown and when the light hits it a deep red garnet color created. Initially a reddish deep brown head is formed and fades away, a thin ring remains around the class. Not surprising given the alcohol content. Aroma is jammy, with raisins. Alcohol is rather present even after two years. Some barrel presence remains. Port like. Flavor is heavy on the booze, port and sherry like flavors waft in and become heavy and prominant. Burnt caramel, raisins, and toffee mingle with the sherry and port flavors. Complex flavor, really it is, way beyond a barrel bomb. Slick, oily mouthfeel. Thick. Not cloying however. The alcohol creates a sharp and clearly burn like quality. There is no doubt this is an exceptional ale. Downsides, the alcohol keeps coming back and reminding me it is there, the burnt caramel flavor is rather strong and can be off putting, the palate is left muddy.

3.96/5  rDev -10.4%

Smelled of dried dog food and didn't taste much better. Perhaps I'm missing something here, or I had a bad bottle. Nevertheless, I certainly prefer others.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

A case of this arrived on Friday from Portland. Best thing I've ever had from the Pacific Northwest!

Pours a dark ruby red/chestnut brown with a small head that recedes into a thin rim. Looks stately in my tulip class!

This is easily the best smelling beer I've ever had. Absolutely no question. Nutty, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, cherries and some bourbon heat all come a-calling.

It's all there in the taste. I'm also picking up grape skins, toffee and marshmallow. The only detractor this beer has right now is it's heat. I think that in a few months, this could be my favorite beer of all time.

At 13.7%, drinkablilty suffers... but you don't go through your stash of this beer willy-nilly. You savor this, sip by mother loving sip. Standing effing ovation, Pelican!

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to nate8767 for sharing this one. Poured into a sniffer.

The beer pours a dark reddish brown with a tan head about a finger thick that quickly fades to a thin ring and patchy lacing. The first aroma that I pick up on is oak and bourbon followed by toffee, caramel, dates, and raisins, with just a noticeable alcoholic smell. Despite the alcohol aroma the finish is barely noticeable. The taste is best described as a combination of dark fruit, a hint or chocolate, fresh oak, bourbon and molasses. The mouthfeel is chewy with low carbonation. This is a spectacular beer and one that I would definitely seek out again.

4.17/5  rDev -5.7%

Served in a snifter glass at the pelican feb 2012. Pours a transparent hazel color, only a slight bit of foam exists in the glass as it is brought to me, but I don't there was much to begin with considering the 13.5% ABV. Smell is of raisins, dark fruit, alcohol, smooth vanilla and caramel smell. The smell is really potent, I didn't really swirl the beer at first, and it didn't have much head but it was still very aeromatic. The taste resides in the same vein as
The smell, once again one of the most potent flavor was that of raisins/dark fruit. I let my glass warm for a good bit before I drank it, so it may have different notes when onsumes colder. I also get some notes of bourbon. This was still really hot, I'd like to get a bottle of this age for a while then try it in two years once it has mellowed. While it was very aggressive when I tried it, I thing it would come out very smoothly with some age. Mouthfeel id relatively thick, with mild carbonation. If you enjoy a boozy beer and you like those sweet dark fruit notes, give this a try.

22oz bottle purchased at Pelican Pub & Brewery.

A - Pours a clear, deep, mahogany that borders on black. Nice ruby highlights, yet little/no head.
S - Strong bourbon notes, hints of oak and vanilla.
T - Strong bourbon. There's a hop bitterness to the finish that I hope will mellow out with time. A bit of residual malt sweetness as well as some alcohol burn.
M - Medium to full body, heavy and sweet.
D - Good. There's a bit of heat, and it's certainly a sipper, but it improves with a little bit of warmth.

Overall- Good, but a bit one-dimensional to make it elite. Bourbon treatment is well done, but needs a bit more depth. Don't trade your cellar for one, but it's worth getting, especially if you're a bourbon fan.

3.78/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle shared by Eric. Thanks! Pours dark amber with off white color. Aroma is oak, booze, and rubbing alcohol. Viscous mouthfeel. Flavor was dark fruit, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and finished with a rubbing alcohol aftertaste. This beer might be too green at this point. It was just hard to sip because of the rubbing alcohol aftertaste. It was tough. Shared originally Sept. 1, 2009.

3.28/5  rDev -25.8%

Bottle brought down by Joel from the pub. Super dark red color with a small beige head. The aroma has a lot of bourbon influence and barrel character, like this spent some quality time on wood. Dark burnt sugars, charred oak, burnt vanilla, caramel, alcohol and old wood. The flavor is very hot with lots of bourbon, dark caramel, bunt fruit and charred wood. The finish is almost pure alcohol and very rich. The mouthfeel is very hot and alcoholic, full, and has a modest amount of prickly carbonation. A very big beer that is not very smooth at this point and could use a lot of time to mellow out. Dark and burnt for a barleywine. They really went for it with maximum barrel extraction, but it looks like its going to take a lot of time to really mellow back out.

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours an amazing ruby dark color with a small off white head.

Smell is of huge wood, vanilla, bourbon and dried fruits. Very nice.

Taste is awesome, tons of flavor. Lots of dried fruit and vanilla from the barrel. Bourbon is secondary, but a nice compliment.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, so good.

Overall an amazing beer, so good.

2.88/5  rDev -34.8%

A collaboration of efforts to buy a case of these. Bottle shared by petsuphi with cmurren25 and it went a little something like this...

A- A very surprising dark charcoal black color similar to some fine stouts instead of the familiar brownish colors of most barleywines. A nice amount of carb that dissipated an off-white/tannish head into a tiny thin strip of it's former self. A quite odd looking beer in my honest opinion.

S- A pungent smell greets me like a filthy old diaper. Did not pick up the normal smells, but some burnt oak/wood, some touches of bottom shelf bourbon and stale vanilla. It was very undesirable, seriously wanted to pick up more aromas, but they just weren't there at all. Completely let down.

T- I will say the taste does not match the smell at all. Has a pleasant opening of smoked oak/wood with a nice earthiness in the beginning. As it warms though more of the off putting characteristics come back to torture me. Stale vanilla, your grandmother's stale werther's original caramel candies from 1981 and some malty sweetness that is almost not sweet enough. Son of a bitch why did I buy a few of these?

M- Full bodied and thick. From appearance the carb was anticipated, but is really not there no tingle or prickle. A nice warming presence along with coating and a syrupy character. It's semi-viscous, but doesn't stick around like others I've had. A little underwhelmed to be honest.

D- Not really, I had to suffer through too much with this one to ever come back to it. I would think about it, but would probably pass on this one. It's high abv, nasty smell and unpleasant taste kill this one for me. I'm sure a lot of people will like it I'm just not one of them. I would reconsider after putting myself through that one twice.

I have had 2 vintages of this beer and they both were let downs. There are definitely better barrel aged barleywines around. Anyone want one in trade?

3.81/5  rDev -13.8%

2012 Vintage poured into a snifter:

Appearance: - not much head, but a great oil rubbed bronze color.

Smell: Nice scents of figs, rich malt, bourbon, wood, but all over powered a little by a woody raisin bran aroma.

Taste: Diverse! Some many flavors! Bourbon, malt, oak, vanilla, barley, dried candied dry cherries, but damn that raisin bran!

Mouthfeel: For 14% - nice bite, but smoothness that makes it hard to feel that abv. It also reflects far more carbonation than its appearance does.

Overall: This is my first time have MOAS and I wish I had never read any reviews on previous years. It's hard to think this one compares.

4.27/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 11/2015.

For some reason I'm not in the mood to write a typical review. It looks exactly like it's described in the other reviews. Smells and tastes just like a barrel aged barleywine should. Being an English style barleywine, it's strongly sweet with a firm bread flavor and no noticeable hop balance. There's also a strong booziness, it is 14% alcohol, but not masked. That will probably decrease with age but i don't think I could take the increase in sweetness that would happen. If you like English style beers then step right up.

2014 vintage from a large bottle share. I don't like BW in general, but this was one of the best I have had. Very balanced and not as boozy as most. Recommend

4.42/5  rDev 0%

120th Review
Bottle to snifter
2010 Vintage

From notes. Thanks to exitmusic00 (I think) for contributing this to our tasting.

A: Dark caramel/tan. Single (creamy white) fingernail head on soft, gentle pour.

S: Burnt fig, caramel, oak, bourbon, vanilla and loads of malt sweetness. Hint of booze coming off the nose, but very inviting.

T: Loads of caramel sweetness up-front followed by a combination of dark fruit, bourbon, and vanilla. Hint of spice towards the tail-end along with oakiness.

M: Full bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Well put together and definitely worth seeking out. I think this beer can be enjoyed now or cellared for many years to come.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Reviewed from 2010 bottle with about a year on it. Thank you OakedCanuck for this beauty.

Appearace: Gentle pour into SA perfect pint. Dark ruby brown. Minimal head, some wispy swirls from nucleation point float on top of the liquid.

Smell: Bourbon, toffee, caramel. The nose is potent, and I like it.

Taste: Bourbon, malt, sweet fruit, brown sugar, caramel, alcohol. There is so much going on here, and the taste is sublime. Heavenly.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderately carbed, and very nice. You can't really hide 13.5%, but while the alcohol was there, it wasn't offensively so.

Drinkability: Split with a friend! But, it's good enough that I wouldn't blame you for drinking it all yourself.

Overall: There is really not much fault to be found with this guy. Not only an awesome beer, but easily the best barrel aged barleywine I've ever had. I can't wait to try the 2011 fresh.

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%

(Sampled at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting. Courtesy of Dak!!). I almost passed on this because it was getting late in the day and I have a bottle at home. That would have been a major mistake. This beer is unbelievable!! Pours a clear mahogany with no head. Aroma of bourbon, vanilla, coconut and caramel dominate. Taste follow suit with a sweet blend of bourbon, coconut and vanilla. Did I mention coconut?? Medium bodied wit ha slick texture. Super smooth. This is a kick ass beer!!

3.46/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a deep dark mahogony with amber hues and very little to no head. Not a great looking barleywine, but a decent looking beer. The smell is fantastic. super complex with vanilla, bourbon, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and sweet dark fruit.

The taste of this beer was a big disappointment, given the high overall BA rating and the aromas eminating from my glass. There are still the toffee, caramel, bourbon and brown sugar flavors, but none of them blend very well. The alcohol is SUPER-hot, and the barrel aging has not done well for this beer. Again, super-hot alcohol throughout, and a dry, bitter aftertaste that does not compel you to drink more. 3+ years would do wonders for this beer.

The mouthfeel is nice and thick, but there is very little carbonation and it is way too hot all around. I'm glad I split this, because it would have taken me a few hours to finish a bottle by myself.

Give this one at least three years and maybe it will be worthy of its BA rating.

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

Was saving this for a special occasion and since my girlfriend likes barleywine we decided to open it on her birthday. Cheers babe!

A: pours a very clean dark ruby reddish/brown with almost no head and no lacing at all.

S: as soon as I popped open the cap the smell came flying out. strong scents of oak, bourbon, toffee, dark fruits, malts and molasses

T: wow, unreal. strong presence of oak and bourbon with under tones of vanilla and malts. as it warmed the fruitiness became much more tart and smooth. Raisins and figs make their presence know as well. again, wow

M: feels thick and syrupy with a medium carbonation that tingles my tongue.

D: a big time sipper but that was ok since it became much more complex as it warmed up. The alcohol was very noticeable as it warms the mouth and throat. That being said, it was extremely smooth for 13.5%abv.

Overall, I'm very happy to have gotten the chance to try this amazing barleywine. One of the best I have ever had. Very much worth the Darkness I gave up to get it in trade.

an already outstanding barley wine gone barrel aged? ridiculous. on tap at the end of a vertical flight of stormwatchers at the beautiful pelican.
it takes you to a mystical land, a dream world of murky depths and heavenly summits. pours dark red and a bit murky, pungeant, bourbon, vanilla, sweet malt, caramel, dates, and figs. its aroma is surpassed by the flavorful assault. the sweet malt and bourbon ride in first, flanked by vanilla. the fruit flavor and caramel then storm to the sides, capturing your entire match in ecstasy. it finishes with just the right bourbon bite and malt sweetness, leaving you desirious for more.

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%

22 ounce bottle spilt with airohead2001. I vividly remember him coming into our psychiatry lecture with a dejected look on his face and saying, "we're on the list, but a long ways down." Luckily, it worked out for us. Poured into a snifter.

A: Dark brown with very dark, but vibrant ruby red tones, especially when held up to the light. The head on this beer measured about ¾ of a finger and was off white in color. There was excellent head retention, but minimal lacing.

S: Bourbon notes prevail, but there's also a earthy character that smells somewhat like dog food. I know that this sounds gross, but when combined with the bourbon, it actually smells quite good. There's also some caramel and burnt sugar on the nose.

T: Wow, I was so surprised that this is not hot whatsoever. The alcohol is completely hidden. There's beautiful flavors of bourbon, maple syrup, and butterscotch. Deeper down there's cinnamon, some hop bitterness and a faint hint of alcohol.

M: The mouthfeel was on point. There's an excellent visocity, aftertaste, and an appropriately low level of carbonation (although the carbonation could be slightly higher).

D: So happy that pelican let's you order this by mail! Also, excited to try the 2009 perfect storm that I have sitting in my cellar at some point.

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bomber into a snifter. Split with lookitsmp as part of our BA barleywine tasting. Thanks to matttyYCE!

*December 2012 Edit*

*Much more balanced and mellow out of the gates this year. THIS is the beer I thought I was trading for last year. Sweet sticky caramel, toffee, vanilla, figs, and barrel (coconut) on the nose and taste. If only they didn't switch to stickers instead of painted labels...*

A- Pours a slick dark brown/black with not head to speak of. Leaves a sticky film on the glass along with some big legs.

S- Dark fruit, figs, raw woody notes, sweet caramel/vanilla and not much else. We both thought this was pretty subdued.

T- Sweet caramel, huge boozy hit--insanely hot, toasted barrel character, roasted notes, vanilla.

M- Nice and thick. Velvet-like with minimal carbonation but an insanely hot finish.

O- This is a really tasty BA barleywine, but with the huge amount of hype built up around it I thought it fell wayyy short...especially when directly compared to King Henry and BA Hi Fi. Hopefully some age can mellow out my other bottle.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery