Reserve Wheat Ale | Telegraph Brewing Company

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle into a Cantillon tulip. Thanks to Tony for sharing.

A: Clear pale amber body with a few weird worm-like chunks. One finger of frothy white foam. Mediocre retention, no lace. I'm not going to lie, it's kind of gross looking - are those sea monkeys?

S: This is going to sound a bit weird, but it smells just like a Dairy Queen. I can't say with any certainty exactly what that entails (does the tangy wheat malt remind me of cheap cones? does the fruitiness recall the artificial cherry flavor of Dilly Bar coating?), but it's a remarkably vivid scent memory for me. More objectively, I get lemon, wheat, vanilla, and just a touch of lactic tartness. It's weird, but rather enjoyable.

T: Tart, lemony, and vegetal. Strange herbal notes on top f the wheat and sourness. Cherry syrup on the finish (it WAS Dilly Bars!). Bizarre, but ok.

M: Light + lively; nicely soft. Pleasant.

O: This was anything but popular with the tasting group, and I think my weak praise for it (rooted more in nostalgia than actual admiration) is as damning as a straight-up negative review. I enjoyed experiencing this beer, but I'll not be looking for a second date.

Cheers!

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

346th review on BA
bottle to wine glass
750 ML bottle, 2/15/10 bottle date

App- "It looks yellow dad" This is what my 4 1/2 year old says to me and she is correct. Light yellow with a nice two finger head.

Smell- Funky with a lemony note. A somewhat white wine note with a little acidity.

Taste- Slightly delicate with a hint of funk and citrus. Not overbearing at all. You still get the wheat profile to the beer which is nice and that they didnt try to overrun the flavors while trying to "sour" the beer.

Mouth- Thin bodied as expected and a nice high carbonation level with a nice crispness and acidity.

Drink- A good way to end the day with a flavorful and low abv beer. I could put back a few bottles of this pretty quickly.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was light golden, but not quite pale. Looked a bit like lemonade or pineapple, or maybe a mix. About ½ inches of head. Minimal lacing on the top that dissipated very quickly. No film on the sides.

Smelled a lot of different flavors, including pears, apples, cloves and a touch of puke. If not puke, then sour beer.

Tasted very sour and tarty from the get-go and right away I noticed a lot of carbonation. I also got the pears, which I smelled so heavily before. The cloves try to make a late run of it, but it wasn’t too strong. Overall pretty tarty.

Medium body. Oily texture. Fizzy (high) carbonation. Astringent finish.

This was my first ever sour beer. At least that was what I’d call it. It has its moments, but I’m sure others must be better. Maybe I’ll go back to this after I try a few others.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with WeeHeavySD (thanks!).

Bottle labled bottled on 1/12/09. Poured a medium and hazy yellow color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of wheat, cereal, and lighter citrus. Tastes of citrus, wheatiness, cereal, and lighter spices. Lighter tart finish.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Received via trade with Azureoval. Thanks Josh.

I've had their Gypsy Ale and enjoyed it so I figured I'd give this beer a try and I was impressed. Cloudy yellow beer with a dense, 2 finger head. The aroma is really great. Slight funk, Lemon tartness, sour, and some light wheat beer notes. The flavor is really very good too. Tart, lactic, lemony, with a dry, raw wheat finish. Tons of wheat in the aftertaste as well almost to a fault. It's a little harsh in the finish. The mouthfeel was excellent. Slightly creamy, tight carbonation. The drinkability should be a 5 but the corn husk, raw wheat aftertaste dings it and the taste a little bit.

Overall a very enjoyable beer. I'd definitely drink it again. If I had regular access to it I'd probably drink quite a bit of it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml bottle at 58 degrees.

Pours clear, light gold with a two-plus inch head of hissing white froth. After a quick drop, the porous foam dissapated to a partial skim coat on the surface along with a few streaks of lacing.

Aromatics lead off with tart lemon with hints of cut grass, wet hay, pineapple skin, and light malt. Quite earthy and slightly musty with plenty of zesty lemon.

Light bodied with a crisp, quenching mouthfeel.

Tart lemon, grapefruit, and a wheat twang start the palate. Hints of spice and mild funk follow through.

Finishes with a lingering tartness, lemon oil, and earth-rubbed citrus.

Tasty enough and certainly dry and quenching. The tartness stays fairly level throughout and never builds to what I would consider "sour". More funk and sourness would be welcome on this end.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours very light yellow with a highly carbonated head. Poured into a pint glass and about a quarter of it was head. It dissipates pretty quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Smells pretty light with some mild floral notes. And a hint of sourness.

T: I didn't really pay to much attention to the label when I bought this. I saw "wheat ale" and was expecting more of a hef style. So it was a bit of a surprise when tasting it, but not really a bad surprise. There's definitely some sourness there, but not enough to make you pucker. I'm also tasting a little lemon/lime flavor, but not too much.

M: Feels decent in the mouth. Only slightly tart, and a lot of carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable. I usually take a little more time when drinking a beer, but I find myself taking bigger mouth-fulls of this one, so it's going down pretty easy and fast.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Consumed 07/18/09 at Blue Palms, Hollywood, CA.

Clear, light golden with no active carbonation. The head is a very fine thin skin of foam.

Aroma of bubblegum.

Mild wheat tang with subtle bubblegum flavor. Conservative levels of funk and a citric sourness. Soft, powdery (talc and floral) character to finish. No bitterness in evidence.

Soft mouthfeel.

Not at all a difficult drinker, but in the absence of any assertive flavors, the experience is a little lacking.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a hazy golden color. There is about a finger of white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving little lacing.

Smell - Woah, very funky. First smell I get is the lactic (old milk), tart lemons, and some slight sweet wheat aromas.

Taste - Quite tart - an interesting combination of lactic and lemon citrus flavor. There is a definite wheat profile, along with some earthy funk. The warmer this gets the more the flavors become more pronounced.

Mouthfeel - Light mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation, and finishes a bit dry.

Drinkability - Easy to drink for a "wild ale" and it is my first wheat wild ale. To be perfectly honest it is not as enjoyable as some of the other American Wild Ale's I have had but it was good to try (though for this price range I'd rather buy a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja).

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Thanks to Blaine for sharing this unusual brew.

A - It pours a straw-yellow hue, hazy, and is capped with a good sized white frothy head.

S - The nose is quite lemon-y, but also is reminiscent of household cleaners and bug spray. Needless to say after that last descriptor, I am way south of fond of it.

T - The taste is light years better than the intolerable nose. It is, again, lemon-centric and earthy; offering notes of lemon zest, verbena and fresh-squeezed lemon. The brew has a refreshing taste. Too bad it comes with the attached aroma.

M - The feel is light and frothy, with a lot of soft effervescence. Not hugely enhancing, but it works.

O - I would not like any more of this, due entirely to the disgusting nature of the nose.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a bright hazy orange, lots of sediment with a big white head, some nice lacing and long lasting.

The smell is light and slightly lemony and sour with a hint of wheat.

The taste is very nice, has a nice wheat malt backbone with zippy lemon and citrus flavors, has a nice medium sourness. Very light and refreshing.

The mouthfeel has very nice carbonation and a light slightly dry finish.

This is a great wheat beer, the sourness is a very nice complement.

Reserve Wheat Ale from Telegraph Brewing Company