Double Dragon | Felinfoel Brewery Co.

Double DragonDouble Dragon

Felinfoel Brewery Co.
Wales, United Kingdom
felinfoel-brewery.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Double Dragon has an ABV of 4.2%. It is a full drinking, premium Welsh Ale, which is malty and subtly hopped. Double Dragon has a rich colour and smooth balanced character. This deep copper red ale has a tangy red fruit flavour with nutty, toffee overtones.

Added by Realale on 12-04-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured half of the 16.9 oz into a stout glass and watched it raise two finger of head atop it beer bottle brown clear body. Nice malt aroma Taste was also malt with a little sweetness. A medium mouthfeel that was helped with a good carbon dioxide level that showed good beading. Finished with light hops.

Not bad - very drinkable and a good choice for a session.

Left me wanting more complexity that I found in a Rogue tasted previously.

2.44/5  rDev -27.2%

Cool named beer ... and since I'm a sucker for cool labels and names, I had to pick it up. Reminds me of a video game I played long ago. Anyway. Pours a light brown color with a medium head that doesn't have much retention and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is very odd - I can't place it, but me-no-likey. kmpitz2 said it might be lots of biscuit malt ... that might be it. The taste has the same unfortunate character that I just can't place nor can I enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend this one.

2.64/5  rDev -21.2%

Courtesy of clvand0. This beer pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a 2 finger head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is not that inticing. I'm not too sure what it is, but it smells slightly sweet, maybe a little peppery hop, some biscuit malt. I just don't like it. The flavor is equally as unappealing to me. There is a flavor that is just off on the finish. The feel is a light moderate, with a slight carb on it. Overall, this beer is something I would not have again, even if it were free. Thanks Chris.

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured on tap a light copper with a thin- ish head that only briefly sticks around; was poured at a relatively warm temperature that let flavor and aroma say hello. Nice light copper color and a number of hard- to place smells in the aroma; smelled a little fruity a little smoky. Relatively low carbonation. The taste had a tiny vinegar component and I got a trace of apples after a little bit. Almost as if someone got a little hard cider in the glass- but this was clearly intentional and clearly tasty. Mouth was a little thin for me. Easy to knock back a pint of this, but wouldn't make a night of them.

3.08/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a dark amber with a good, creamy head and copious lace. Smell is malty, hoppy, peaty, grassy, and a smell that nearly drove me insane trying to figure it out. It was somewhat like soy sauce, but kept bringing roasted or smoked turkey to mind. A vinegar-like tangy/tartness that I finally gave up trying to determine. Sadly, that was a prevalent smell, but the rest were fairly well balanced. Taste was pretty much the same with the turkey taste less noticeable than in the smell. The complexity was good and the balance decent. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth with good effervescence all over the mouth and tongue. Drinkability: I wish I could say something really great about this beer, it being Welsh and so am I, but sadly, it's nothing special. Not bad, but doesn't stand out in any way.

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from the bottle into my glass in a cascade of earthy orange and brown. Half inch of dense cream colored head. I smell sweet caramel and mild fruit tones. With the first taste the tongue is awash in caramel and fleeting hop fruit. Moments later I ask myself ... do I taste a hint of butterscotch. Mmm Good. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. I could stand to have a couple of these.

4.07/5  rDev +21.5%

Was able to give this one a try last evening on tap over at Mahars. This brew was poured to copper yellow color with a nice white head that had fair retention and left a little lacing on the upper half off the glass. It has a nice aroma, heavy malt that is very biscuity, earthy and a little hop aroma. The taste of this brew is very nice, heavy malt flavors with a slight roasted flavor, slight pine hop flavor. The end of the taste is a little different as it reminds me of apple cider which grows on you. Over all this is a fantastic brew, great for a whole evening, as it is very mellow but very tasty.

3.87/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: copperish brown, good clarity, half crescent of white suds

Aroma: robust biscuity malt, angel food cake, cork, woody hops, a hint of sourness

Flavor: dryish malt backbone with an edge of dark malts and roast, surrounding acidity throughout, woody hop flavor, seemingly tannic bitterness, finishes dry with a tangy aftertaste of roast and yeast

Mouthfeel: medium full body, light carbonation, slight minerally/hoppy astringency

Other comments: This beer is at a crossroads of Scottish ale and a typical English Bitter: rich maltiness and an up front hop flavor/bitterness. Does that make it a "traditional Welsh ale"? I don't know, not sure if Welsh ale is fitting of its own style category.

4.03/5  rDev +20.3%

Beautiful rich copper in color. Nice head settles to a solid 1/3" cap that sticks it out through the pint.

Nose is quite complex, with a very bisquity-malt base. Hops are there as piney, woodsy notes, and there is an appetizing hint of volatility/vinegar. Simply mouth-watering.

On the palate, its a very well-balanced symphony of malt and hop bitterness. There is a nice minerally component as well, which adds length, and helps balance the malt and support the hops. The volatile note adds to the complexity without being a distraction. Very fine and distinctive best bitter. Simply wish I could get it on cask (as always!).

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Double Dragon from Felinfoel Brewery Co.